LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
drul

The Witcher 3

I remember that on some occasions in this forum there were questions about some single player rpg games.

Additionally I do remember that someone said that he rarely buys single player games because there are DRMs included. ( MMOs are one big DRM but whatever ;p)

Today I've stumbled on Eurogamer article that say:

The Witcher developer CD Projekt Red has made it abundantly clear there will be no DRM associated with The Witcher 3 on PC, if bought in a box or from game-download shop GOG.com (Steam is its own kind of DRM, and The Witcher 3 will definitely be on Steam).

So those who don't want DRM can get it without. Those who don't mind DRM and want it on Steam, can buy it on Steam.

Propably only AAA DRM-free game, from all AAA games released in 2012-2014.

Also link to cinematic trailer: (there is violence and blood, be warned)

Game will release somewhere in 2014.

Nice. I think.

Can I ask a Witcher 2 question? I got stuck and disinterested for the moment when I had to enter some stupid cave and do grinding like killing of bazillions of -what- rats? That was after the game was promising until then. What's the overall game like, does it have a great beginning and that's it or is the cave just one obstacle?

You mean cave that is near port city? You don't have to do it immedietaly (can come back better prepared later) or you can skip it completly - for that matter.

It is a place with one of highest amount of monsters in one place I believe. Explanation is that - those are relatively weak monsters, but ones that reporoduce like rabbits and cave is their nest.

Like I said, you can just skip it completly or come back bit later on, with better stuff or some traps, bombs, etc

Kinda like in many non-completly linear rpg's. There are things you can do which are more interesting and less interesting :)

As for whole game - most complaints I've heard are about last third ACT - that it feel somewhat rushed or too short. You're nowhere near though - and kinda hard to talk about it - as it's all largerly subjective.

I thought Witcher 2 was a great game (got myself the Collector's Edition :P) and I had great fun playing it. Most missions were well worked out, others felt like they would need some polishing. It's annoying that you sometimes get a mission that's really a bit too high level for you, especially early on. That particular mission requires items or use of spells.

Thanks, guys. I think that might be a nice game for me during some dull dark days.

This is nice to hear guys. I player Witcher and loved the game but was unable to play Witcher 2 as my (now gone) old computer could not handle the graphics load. Since getting my shiney new Alienware I have ordered a bunch of games and Witcher 2 is landing on me from Amazon next week and I want to play Witcher 3 when it gets released... looking forward to seeing Geralt in action again. I can only hope the voice acting and dialogues in it are as entertaining as in the first.... :)

It's annoying that you sometimes get a mission that's really a bit too high level for you, especially early on. That particular mission requires items or use of spells.

I don't really agree. Non-completly linear games absolutely should offer you a diffrent difficulty of challange. Offering slow and smooth difficulty curve and encounters you are always ready for, is dull and one dimensional.

Let's take this cave quest into consideration.  When you're facing it you have alot of options:

a ) try to beat it by mastering your twitch and timing and cut throught this horde with a sword eventually.

b ) retreat and research your character weapons, moves and strategy to have better understanding and then go back

c ) retreat to city and use your wealth to get traps or/and bombs or/and potions and then try to beat it

d ) go do something else and be back later

e ) skip it

That are just most basic options without going into details, like decision making on how much wealth to spend in buying bombs or potions or how much time to spend studying character card.   Of course you can combine any of above, etc

The Witcher 2 is actually good in that kind of stuff.  You have encounters or tasks, in which you can try brute force, exploring or research game or try to figure tactics in middle of the fight. 

Games that have only smooth encounters that are of similar difficulty and put more or less even stretch on players, except very clearly distinguished "big boss places" are imho not good*.    That is the path mmorpg's in last years have taken and that is not a good path.

I honestly think that players got too conditioned into expecting same one type of pattern in all games.

*With maybe an exception of very linear "self-play games" that hand hold a player and  have gameplay elements only as an excuse to present "cinematic story". 

I had an issue with the "twitchiness" of the combat in W2. Over time I felt like I had gotten a better handle on it and it was just hidden induction time or rough animation sequence loading but I have to give it a "needs minor work" rating. I say minor because that doesn't hold it back too much, just a disappointment. Immersion is really good, crafting I never quite got (yet), I bought it on a steam sale and can say it was a bargain for what I paid (I think $15?). I'm still working my way through, so deeper aspects I can't comment on.

@Koolio

I think it might have been intentional this "lag". I think developers were trying to show "weight" of movement - that your body and sword do weight and that you cannot swing it as fast as you would do it with olive twig.  Similarly as when you do strong forward attack in W2 whole character goes forward and you cannot stop it in mid air, etc

I think it was because they were trying to show physics and semi-realism, not because they could not do immedietaly responsive combat.

There is even an combat mod made by developers (somewhere on W2 page, also on W2 Nexus) that make combat immedietaly responsive. I tried it, but I discontinued my game with using this mod.  It is actually much less satisfying and make game much easier difficulty wise as well.

================

btw. if anyone want to read something while drinking morning (or afternooon ;p) cofee - here is an recent text about CDProjekt history and how company almost collapsed in 2009 and like W2 was almost cancelled.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-06-seeing-red-the-story-of-cd-projekt

On an only slightly related note.. The Witcher 2 was so popular in Poland that the Polish Playboy actually had a "photoshoot" with Triss. My mother-in-law got me that copy :P

On an only slightly related note.. The Witcher 2 was so popular in Poland that the Polish Playboy actually had a "photoshoot" with Triss. My mother-in-law got me that copy :P

Yeah.  It was promotion / PR of the game, and kinda creative one heh. 

Anyway if someone has few minutes of idle time before a monitor then here is an eurogamer article about The Witcher 3, that is nice overview what's the fuss about:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-19-the-witcher-3-what-is-a-next-gen-rpg

Hey Drul,

I checked and it was W2 that I had, but I definitely plan to revisit it with your comment in mind. It doesn't seem like that was the issue but I'm willing to try it.

Yeah.  It was promotion / PR of the game, and kinda creative one heh. 

Anyway if someone has few minutes of idle time before a monitor then here is an eurogamer article about The Witcher 3, that is nice overview what's the fuss about:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-19-the-witcher-3-what-is-a-next-gen-rpg

"We tried in The Witcher 2 to make this high difficulty level but it was a mistake," he admitted, "because we tried to mix two different games." The Witcher fans wanted a traditional RPG with a story, not a challenge based on their dexterity.

"Dark Souls influenced me very much because I love games like this, but I understand after The Witcher 2 that we should less experiment on stuff like this but more focus on the things which people love in our games," he said.

The learning curve in The Witcher 3 will be "proper", then - not like the much lamented learning curve in The Witcher 2. There will be difficulty levels in The Witcher 3, but unlike The Witcher 2, Normal won't feel like Hard. "It wasn't a good decision," Tomaszkiewicz added. "Right now we're changing it and I believe that everyone will go in this world very smooth and we will not get problems like it was in The Witcher 2."

I am not sure how I feel about that.  Makin' me nervous we would end up with Witcher-dumb?  I have bought Witcher2 since last posting in this thread and find play to be very straightforward and not difficult at all so I don't get where this is coming from.  Must games forever be dumbed down?? Wtf? :(

Apparently the announcement that WB would be distributing Witcher 3 got past my reads on the game.  Can someone please tell me what this would mean?  I have made a firm decision to NEVER touch another game with WB attached to it and this is really upseting to learn.  I love CDProjekt and the integrity they have shown, so to hear that they are handing the game over to WB for NA distribution rights is not good news - I don't want to give them one more dime of my money.  Can they also now affect the development of the title??

Can they also now affect the development of the title??

Sure they can. Just for starters by influencing the release date, regardless of code quality at that point.

We really need start talking open source games.

Crap.  Well, There goes the end of the series for me.  I refuse to buy this if it means giving WB my money.

I am not sure how I feel about that.  Makin' me nervous we would end up with Witcher-dumb?  I have bought Witcher2 since last posting in this thread and find play to be very straightforward and not difficult at all so I don't get where this is coming from.  Must games forever be dumbed down?? Wtf? :(

Some early The Witcher 2 reviews, had journalist complain about Prologue being "too hard" / "too confusing", etc

I think CDProjekt feel pressure to adress that.  I think if / when choosing 'hard' difficulty you will get similar to The Witcher 2 difficulty. I think CDProjekt will only alter 'default' settings.  + there will be mods this time.

I doubt CDP will dumb TW3 down,  there is too much at stake (sales, position at market, building player / fan base for them, Cyberpunk 2077 releasing in 2015, etc) for them and they have fierce fanbase that will RIP them to shreads if they would i.e. made Assasin Creed clone.

Apparently the announcement that WB would be distributing Witcher 3 got past my reads on the game.  Can someone please tell me what this would mean?  I have made a firm decision to NEVER touch another game with WB attached to it and this is really upseting to learn.  I love CDProjekt and the integrity they have shown, so to hear that they are handing the game over to WB for NA distribution rights is not good news - I don't want to give them one more dime of my money.  Can they also now affect the development of the title??

Crap.  Well, There goes the end of the series for me.  I refuse to buy this if it means giving WB my money.

You can simply buy it directly from GoG.com - this site is owned by CDProjekt, so you can bypass giving WB money that way.

I just finished The Witcher 2, much better than the first installment, only made it half way through. TW3 looks promising......

The difference between playing W2 on a barely able rig and playing it on a robust platform is a huge one. I think that is a mistake, but I don't think it was due to incompetence. CDProjekt gets an overall plus rep from me.

Super psyched for this to arrive.  I will definitely pre-order the game as I have always had a very good experience with Witcher titles, and the discount will be nice.  Thanks goodness I have a new rig to run it, hehe.  Looking forward to this a lot :)

I really love the art style many games are trending towards now. They're not out to look super realistic, but instead really, really, high art, high quality digital painting style. Imo, this ends up looking far better. So yeah, visually that game looks absolutely amazing. :)

• Upvote 1

I really love the art style many games are trending towards now. They're not out to look super realistic, but instead really, really, high art, high quality digital painting style. Imo, this ends up looking far better. So yeah, visually that game looks absolutely amazing. :)

Well written. I do agree.  :)