LOTROCommunity

The Witcher 3

this footage from PAX East 2015:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJyKMsCAKB0

doesn't look too promising.

the game clearly has some amazing assets, but this liveplay footage... i have immediate concerns for how this will perform on a host of different systems. (frame rate seems VERY choppy.  could be just Xbone, but still...)

& it seems many of the design & mechanics influences...  come from the current market (outside the original developers sphere) from things like Shadows of Mordor & Assassins Creed.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I really love the art style many games are trending towards now. They're not out to look super realistic, but instead really, really, high art, high quality digital painting style. Imo, this ends up l

I feel the same. To me American accents just don't sound right in a traditional fantasy setting - it sounds too modern.

American accents belong in futuristic, post apocalyptic settings.

Posted Images

Definately you'll need to adjust settings depending on your configuration.  (of course I do expect some kind of auto-configurator).  

TW2 was ok in this regard, so I would expect same thing here. 

As for game itself.  Well The Witcher series were always about combination of action combat with RPG game, mainly with good story and world presentation.   

Shadow of Mordor or Assasin Creed are both TPP (third person perspective) action combat games and so is The Witcher so obviously to some degree they feel similar in this regard.   Yet they are still diffrent type of games.   I would be lying if I said I don't have concerns myself, but I hope I am wrong - after all CDPR proved with The Witcher 2 that they can do a game that on first sight looks like action console game, but it actually is an RPG, provides good story that allows you to make choices and is not dumb slasher or grinder. 

PS. Here gameplay in better quality : http://www.gamersyde.com/news_the_witcher_3_pax_east_gameplay-16342_en.html

the highest setting is better & uploads to youtube can degrade considerably, but i also notice all 3 configurations are locked to 30 FPS, which is definitely a console thing.

i bet the original dev team fought like mad to keep some of the upgrade (powerups) mechanics to a min.  when the floodgates open on that sort of thing, the actual gameplay often suffers.

i can absolutely see the love and care in creating the assets though.  beautiful looking game, (as is standard in the Witcher series, it would seem.)

If you'll browse though footage of games both in Youtube and gamersyde - most are in 30 fps.    60 fps is rarity.

Of course The Witcher 3 on consoles will be 30 fps,  on PC there will no be a fps lock, but of course like with any PC game the higher the fps the more powerful PC will be required.

I agree that gameplay suffer in multiplatform games suffer because of it being multiplatform sadly.

I just hope that story will be really good and gameplay will be ok (I don't expect really hardcore complex  RPG mechanics, but an good experience and lack of primitiveness or stupid "gamey" grinds so common in modern AAA titles).

Agreed game world looks really great, it really helped me to immerse myself when playing TW2. 

• 1 month later...

Ahh Witcher 3 the game that broke my 4 1/2 year record of not pre-ordering (particularly on STEAM)  The reasons why:

the IP and the enjoyment I had with prior games;  probably a stupid reason and I may bitch later, but it is what is is

Initially I was more than a little pissed off at the game for already having DRM on sale months before the actual game released.  After looking at the expected $ vs time however it looks  more like an expansion than a typical DRM package.  (200+ hours rated for core game + another 30-40 with DRM package.  I suspect they either got ahead during production, or marketing actually figured out how to add.  Either way with almost 300 hours of likely playtime (on one play through)  I have to admit it would be stupid to sell the whole thing as one game for less than $100.

I still may end up pissed off, but I  am hopeful

Erm. 

Could you elaborate more on this DRM package and source of this 200-300 hours of playthrough?    (that gameplay time does not seem likely/realistic,  maybe unless we're talking about going 100% completionist route).

I am not aware of both of those things.

for the core I don't have a link it was on one of the dev videos stating roughly estimated 50hrs core quest 50 hrs side stuff 1 play through(like most witcher games I assume multiple endings, incentivizing multi play thrus)  So add another 50/ or 100 for completionists(which I R one). They also said that smaller content additions would be free so I'm guessing 10-20 hrs of free content over the life of development. (rumor has it at 16 free DLC's, no idea if that # is in anyway accurate)

The two paid for DLC's price out around $29 combined, one estimated at 10 hrs the other 20

EDIT

Even for non completionists and non side quest people it's still avging 1 hr of gameplay (not to be confused with DAI style mat grinding)per dollar, these days that's become rare.

for the core I don't have a link it was on one of the dev videos stating roughly estimated 50hrs core quest 50 hrs side stuff 1 play through(like most witcher games I assume multiple endings, incentivizing multi play thrus)  So add another 50/ or 100 for completionists(which I R one). They also said that smaller content additions would be free so I'm guessing 10-20 hrs of free content over the life of development. (rumor has it at 16 free DLC's, no idea if that # is in anyway accurate)

The two paid for DLC's price out around $29 combined, one estimated at 10 hrs the other 20

EDIT

Even for non completionists and non side quest people it's still avging 1 hr of gameplay (not to be confused with DAI style mat grinding)per dollar, these days that's become rare.

Sounds a bit like you're falling for the 'Skyrim' method of hour counting. They said they had potentially infinite hours of gameplay, all because dungeons would reset and generic quests would generate. But when it came down to the main story, the game was a lot shorter at about 20 hours. I got 166 hours out of it, and that was with DLC and mods, but by that point I was pretty bored of it all.

The idea that TW3 will have 200+ hours of core game for an average player sounds quite a bit generous.

Sounds a bit like you're falling for the 'Skyrim' method of hour counting. They said they had potentially infinite hours of gameplay, all because dungeons would reset and generic quests would generate. But when it came down to the main story, the game was a lot shorter at about 20 hours. I got 166 hours out of it, and that was with DLC and mods, but by that point I was pretty bored of it all.

The idea that TW3 will have 200+ hours of core game for an average player sounds quite a bit generous.

It seems that he meant - two or more play throughs in completionist way.   Definately not average player.

EDIT

Ah you meant DLC package. (you wrote DRM package heh)

Imho 30h (for fast players) - 50h (more thourough players) for core questing seems very likely.    Then propably at least same amount if you wanna do side-quests, activities, exploration, etc.    So yeah for completionist around 80-100 may seem likely.

Definately gonna be big production.

content-DLC/expansions seem a good deal as well.  Many other studios provide paid DLCs with like 2-5 h of content or even just shiny stuff, items.   CDPR seem to go route of mini-expansions, which is good,

Last but not least, do not forget that CDPR with TW3 is gonna provide modding tools.  So we may actually see various mods as well :)

Wow I did say DRM, amazing the whole forum didn't light up with torches and pitchforks at the mere word...ooops  yea I meant DLC.

And yes I was extrapolating my own likely play time not whatever the general avg turns out to be.  I can only speak for my own tendencies in regards to play time as mileage is unique to the individual.  I had something like 1200ish in Skyrim 1500ish in KSP, so yea I'm odd.  Cant even blame the mod community as I largely play KSP un-moded.

What's KSP?

Yea Kerbal space program one of a handful of games these days confident enough in it's own gameplay to offer a demo as their only marketing gimmick.  It's refreshing to see that even today good games can still get made.

And yes I was extrapolating my own likely play time not whatever the general avg turns out to be.  I can only speak for my own tendencies in regards to play time as mileage is unique to the individual.  I had something like 1200ish in Skyrim 1500ish in KSP, so yea I'm odd.  Cant even blame the mod community as I largely play KSP un-moded.

Well that makes the whole point moot then, surely? Anyone could find a game they enjoy and sink a lot more hours into it than the average player might do (I did that with Fable TLC), but it doesn't necessarily mean that's the sort of time to be bandying about as if it's going to be common place.

Well that makes the whole point moot then, surely? Anyone could find a game they enjoy and sink a lot more hours into it than the average player might do (I did that with Fable TLC), but it doesn't necessarily mean that's the sort of time to be bandying about as if it's going to be common place.

Where in any of my posts did I say I was speaking for anyone else?  In the initial I said quite clearly I'd be bumbed if it didn't meet my expectations.  Some one asked how I came to the determination of time spent, I told them my own expectations, at no point did I speak for anyone else.

Where in any of my posts did I say I was speaking for anyone else?

It was heavily implied here:

After looking at the expected $ vs time however it looks more like an expansion than a typical DRM package. (200+ hours rated for core game + another 30-40 with DRM package. I suspect they either got ahead during production, or marketing actually figured out how to add. Either way with almost 300 hours of likely playtime (on one play through) I have to admit it would be stupid to sell the whole thing as one game for less than $100.

Nowhere in that did you imply it was only based on you.

And then there was your explanation of the time you gave:

for the core I don't have a link it was on one of the dev videos stating roughly estimated 50hrs core quest 50 hrs side stuff 1 play through(like most witcher games I assume multiple endings, incentivizing multi play thrus) So add another 50/ or 100 for completionists(which I R one). They also said that smaller content additions would be free so I'm guessing 10-20 hrs of free content over the life of development. (rumor has it at 16 free DLC's, no idea if that # is in anyway accurate)

The only part here was that you added 50/100 hours of playtime for completionists, that you said you were a part of. But even without those, you were still claiming 120+ hours for non-completionists, of which you aren't one.

It was all very vague and didn't imply you were only talking for yourself at all.

This thread made me want to play through witcher 2 again, about 8 hours in I had forgotten how good a game it was, even if the controls are a bit awkward.

I may have asked this before, but how does Witcher 2 actually play? I couldn't play Witcher 1 because of the style of combat, but I've heard Witcher 2 is different.

Witcher 2 feels faster, you have to dodge and block more than you would in Witcher 1 which just felt like mindless clicking until stuff died. Combat is similar to AC or Batman I guess. The controls can be awkward though when you want to use spells or quickslot items like bombs and traps. It's £13.50 on GoG right now or £15 on Steam which isn't a bad price considering the length of the game, it always comes up in sales on Steam though.

• Upvote 1

I may have asked this before, but how does Witcher 2 actually play? I couldn't play Witcher 1 because of the style of combat, but I've heard Witcher 2 is different.

The Witcher 2 is quite diffrent.  Completly new game engine, diffrent camera, etc    It's third person perspective rpg with good story, really nice graphics and action/twitch combat - combat is not great but is not bad either.

Considering quality of graphics, story,lenght of a game, etc  it's very good deal to buy/play it. It's now available for ~10 pounds. 

Also it's one of very few games on the market that provide story/game/location  branching meaning some of your choices will affect game.  There is one big part of story (around 1-4-1/3 of whole game?) that you'll see from completly diffrent pespective & locations depending on choices you make.

Best propably to type "The Witcher 2 gameplay" into youtube and see for yourself.

• Upvote 1

I hope you'll like it and have fun with it :)

PS. Do NOT turn on Ubersampling graphic option and/or turn it off if you'll have it turned on. 

It's experimental graphic feature, which is propably not optimized and with huge penalty to fps.