LOTRO: HD

• 10 levels of questing
  • New epic books
  • The new Epic Battles system
  • Class revisions, via the Trait Tree
  • New zones in Western Rohan
  • Minimum cost: $40

Rift Update 2.5: Song of Dreams

• Song of Dreams mini-saga, which includes underwater gameplay, underwater rifts, etc
  • A new classic Dungeon, Chronicle or Sliver reworked to level 60 each week until Fae Yule begins in mid-December (see below*)
  • Iron Pine Peak zone revamped to accommodate level 27-35
  • Tier 3 Planar Attunement for PvP (War)
  • International Shards, allowing all EU players to play on every EU shard in their own language
  • Store improvements (Wish List)
  • New Infinity Gate dimension
  • Cost: $0 (Free to all)

(*) Note: Here's the release schedule for the new dungeons, chronicles and slivers:

Nov. 13 – Return To Deepstrike (60)
Nov. 20 – Hammerknell Chronicle (60)
Nov. 27 – Greenscale's Blight Chronicle (60)
Dec. 4 – Drowned Halls (60)
Dec. 11 – Planebreaker Bastion: Aftermath
Dec. 18 – River Of Souls Chronicle (60)

So, with all that in mind, which is the better deal? I'm thinking Rift is, especially since they actually have a real endgame, and just keep throwing out new endgame options for free every few months. Remember the two new raids we got in the last Update (2.4)? Yeah.

• 10 levels of questing
  • New epic books

• Song of Dreams mini-saga, which includes underwater gameplay, underwater rifts, etc
  • A new classic Dungeon, Chronicle or Sliver reworked to level 60 each week until Fae Yule begins in mid-December (see below*)
  • International Shards, allowing all EU players to play on every EU shard in their own language

(*) Note: Here's the release schedule for the new dungeons, chronicles and slivers:

So, with all that in mind, which is the better deal? I'm thinking Rift is, especially since they actually have a real endgame, and just keep throwing out new endgame options for free every few months. Remember the two new raids we got in the last Update (2.4)? Yeah.

Are chronicles Rifts duo dungeons ? If so how many of those are there ?

I've been thinking about trying Rift again just for the dimensions, not convinced yet though.

Are chronicles Rifts duo dungeons ? If so how many of those are there ?

I've been thinking about trying Rift again just for the dimensions, not convinced yet though.

Chronicles are solo or duo dungeons. A couple are solo only, the rest, maybe 8-10 IIRC, are tuned for duo, but can be done solo, if you are well-geared and play well.

My only issue with this list would be the minimum price for Helms Deep. ; For me the minimum price was TIME , not $.; I didn't have to contribute financially in any way to Turbine to acquire the TP.

Excellent comparison.

Chronicles are solo or duo dungeons. A couple are solo only, the rest, maybe 8-10 IIRC, are tuned for duo, but can be done solo, if you are well-geared and play well.

8 - 10 is actually more than i expected that might get me interested, thanks.

Come on, be fair...

We're getting probably a dozen or more new regions in HD!  (Even though region used to mean something like Evendim or Trollshaws, and now means "sub-region with its own name")

We're getting a dozen new instances!  Or even as many as 80-some new instances if we count the fact that we can run them at 85, 86, 87, etc.! (Pay no attention to the fact that the dozen new instances are just five new instances with different group sizes allowed.  If we'd come up with this marketing strategy four years ago, we would have advertised that Mirkwood was launching with nearly 50 skirmishes.)

And you're forgetting all the scaled instances!  That's going to be five or six brand new raids on launch day, plus a dozen or more 6-mans and a bunch of 3-mans!  Plus all the skirmishes, which adds another 12-15 raids, 6-mans, and 3-mans each!  Find me another game with that many available instances at end-game!  Not even WoW has that many!

(Okay... how do people write stuff like that and actually mean it?  It was hard enough writing it facetiously...)

(Okay... how do people write stuff like that and actually mean it?  It was hard enough writing it facetiously...)

Some people simply cannot see fault with their favored product, and will go to any lengths to defend it.

Come on, be fair...

We're getting probably a dozen or more new regions in HD!  (Even though region used to mean something like Evendim or Trollshaws, and now means "sub-region with its own name")

We're getting a dozen new instances!  Or even as many as 80-some new instances if we count the fact that we can run them at 85, 86, 87, etc.! (Pay no attention to the fact that the dozen new instances are just five new instances with different group sizes allowed.  If we'd come up with this marketing strategy four years ago, we would have advertised that Mirkwood was launching with nearly 50 skirmishes.)

And you're forgetting all the scaled instances!  That's going to be five or six brand new raids on launch day, plus a dozen or more 6-mans and a bunch of 3-mans!  Plus all the skirmishes, which adds another 12-15 raids, 6-mans, and 3-mans each!  Find me another game with that many available instances at end-game!  Not even WoW has that many!

OMG

Thank god I read that all the way to the end because I almost fell out of my chair after reading the first few lines and thought you had lost your noodle, lol ;)

• 10 levels of questing
  • New epic books

You missed the bestest thing Rift have done this patch that LOTRO haven't ... they fixed most of the huge lag issues we've been seeing lately, LotRO hasn't.

• 10 levels of questing

Did anybody confirm that?

Are there actually enough quests to level to 95? Or are you forced to do skirmishes and the like?

Did anybody confirm that?

Are there actually enough quests to level to 95? Or are you forced to do skirmishes and the like?

Currently it's possible. Though whether that's what hits live is another thing altogether.

You missed the bestest thing Rift have done this patch that LOTRO haven't ... they fixed most of the huge lag issues we've been seeing lately, LotRO hasn't.

I spoke too soon on this one, the lag came back, and even worse most of sunday afternoon and evening consisted of all servers going down for 15 minutes for evey 5 minutes online lol.

I leveled from 85 to 91 on HD in a very short time doing less than half of the quests on beta. After that -- and checking out crafting -- I got extremely bored and left. 

Just started Rift this week and am enjoying it. Am on the Faeblight server at the moment, but I'm not sure if I should stay there or not. 

I leveled from 85 to 91 on HD in a very short time doing less than half of the quests on beta. After that -- and checking out crafting -- I got extremely bored and left. 

Just started Rift this week and am enjoying it. Am on the Faeblight server at the moment, but I'm not sure if I should stay there or not. 

Faeblight and Wolfsbane are the two most vibrant NA PvE servers. I prefer Faeblight myself, because I like the people there more, but both have great economies and plenty of people to play with.

I made a visit to Faeblight and it does seem to have both more people and a bit less loopy chatter than what I have seen on my server (Laethys), so I think I may have to transfer there too.... as soon as I can figure out how to keep my platinum, of which I already have way too much for the move.  If I split it up over the alts I made to craft, and they don't have that limit on the whole account vs. per charcter, I think it should work.   

I made a visit to Faeblight and it does seem to have both more people and a bit less loopy chatter than what I have seen on my server (Laethys), so I think I may have to transfer there too.... as soon as I can figure out how to keep my platinum, of which I already have way too much for the move.  If I split it up over the alts I made to craft, and they don't have that limit on the whole account vs. per charcter, I think it should work.   

I'm pretty sure the platinum transfer limit is per-character only, but I haven't had to test that myself.

I'm new here and this is my first post.  

After almost three years of casual but enthusiastic playing, I quit lotro once I saw the upcoming changes when the NDA was lifted.    My family and our friends used to play but over time they quit and moved on but I always stayed behind because I just loved lotro so much.  I didn't post much on the official forums but I'd check in every now and then if I had a question and whatnot.  I heard of this site after reading about the outrageous Fredelas (sp?) situation.  

When I would see something negative on the forums I guess I tried to ignore it because I didn't want to believe it.  Then over the last year I noticed a change in the way Turbine handled the game and the players.  It became clear to me that they didn't care about us or the wonderful game they had and only cared about the bottom line.  

Getting back to my family that left, they finally got me to try WoW with them (a game I never had any desire to play, I mean at all), and we lasted a day there.   Then this summer we tried Rift (which I still played a little bit, but mainly stayed at lotro).  There are pros and cons with both games but the biggest one that had me make up my mind to stay at Rift was, well they just seem to have their shit together.  Yes they have problems like any other game but they seem to have much better communication and actually try to fix things.  Not only that, they don't treat players/customers with disdain, disrespect or ignore them altogether like LOTRO as of late.  No amount of pluses a game has can overcome that for me...even my beloved lotro.

So I went back to Rift and I am enjoying it and plan to stay.  It's busy and there are so many different types of things to do (I'm on Wolfsbane).  The biggest difference though in Lotro's favor vs. Rift is the community.  Actually, I think that might be the biggest reason I stayed as long as I did but even that seems to have a long road ahead because I've seen so many great members of the community quit recently because of Turbine's actions.  It would behoove Turbine to understand that having such a vocal reaction to what they're doing means that people care about their game...or at least they used to.  

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to put my two cents in.  Rift is what made me realize how bad things really were at Lotro.  

• Upvote 1

Welcome to lotrocommunity SeriousBusiness (and other new folk). Yes I just started playing Rift for similar reasons that you stated. The game itself is very fun for me so far. I like the way I can just auto-join a group when I approach a rift. From what I understand we can get to end-game without paying $. And we can buy horses, housing items and other things without real cash as well.

I've noticed a bit more trash-talk on Rift's community chat, at least on my server, than was (usually but not always) on LOTRO's glff. But I tend to just ignore it for now and deal with quests and the players around me so far. If LOTRO keeps going in the general down-hill direction they seem to be since HD beta and on the censored forum, then it's nice to have other options.

BTW, don't know about you, but I'm seeing tons of other new players on Rift from LOTRO right now.