LOTROCommunity

Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor Announced

Isn't it already an issue in the fact that he supposedly died? As far as I was aware, Wraiths didn't come from corpses, rather they were people who faded into the unseen world, neither living nor dead but stuck in a sort of Sauron-anchored Limbo. A corpse resurrected would be a Wight (well, unless you're Beren).

And if he became a Wraith, how did he break free of Sauron's control? Not only that, how comes he's visible? And why is he allowed to just roam about in Mordor when Sauron would have most of his forces in there?

The lore meant nothing to this game. It smells to me like they wanted to just make their own version of Dark Souls or something, regardless of what Middle-earth is about. What's the point in having an IP like that if you don't want to even use anything but the name?

Easy.

When wraiths were originally taken, they had bodies.  Khamûl had one, the Witch-King had one, etc.  Over time, their physical forms transferred into the realm of shadow.  The Nazgul, for example, are almost entirely transferred, which is why their physical forms can't even be seen any longer without special sight.

As for how this Ranger broke free of Sauron's control?  That's exactly what I illustrate in my mockery of Monolith's "lore" reasoning.  If this Ranger was taken, he could not break the hold of the one that took him.  But, Monolith felt it better to turn him into a "dark knight" (Insert "I C WAT U DID THAR"'s here.), solely for the purpose of appealing to goth adolescents.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Voice acting by Will Smith.

Wow. Congratulations WB. You've managed the impossible. You've jaded me to such degrees that I'm utterly disinterested in any Middle-earth video game you can output.   That sounds like a Middle-eart

Will Smith"s character (to Sauron): "There's only one way you're getting that ring, baby, and that's through me."     And I will only accept this if Tom Bombadil sings during the end credits "Hey D

Wow. Congratulations WB. You've managed the impossible. You've jaded me to such degrees that I'm utterly disinterested in any Middle-earth video game you can output.

That sounds like a Middle-earth themed game devised by people without the slightest inclination of understanding the source material. All for the sake of writing a story that features some supposedly badass death knight type as the lead, who broods darkly over some half-baked descent into darkness.

If they wanted to reboot Legacy of Kain they got hold of the wrong license.

• Upvote 1

Wow. Congratulations WB. You've managed the impossible. You've jaded me to such degrees that I'm utterly disinterested in any Middle-earth video game you can output.

That sounds like a Middle-earth themed game devised by people without the slightest inclination of understanding the source material. All for the sake of writing a story that features some supposedly badass death knight type as the lead, who broods darkly over some half-baked descent into darkness.

If they wanted to reboot Legacy of Kain they got hold of the wrong license.

This. I couldn't agree more.

Ugh!!!! Sounds like LOTR meets Shadowman meets Blade.

the hybrid nature is ridiculous. 

the ring is the only plausible machine to create such a condition as it corrupts.

everything else that falls under that influence is subject to the one ring, until it is destroyed.

the entire premise is stupid.

this is nothing more than openly shitting all over the source material & using creative license that should not exist until the actual literary material falls into public domain.

Actually, it doesn't have to be the Ring, what if he gets stabbed by a Morgul blade and succumbs? That's well within the lore. I can see that premise, I just can'r see how he wouldn't then be in league with Sauron.

Actually, it doesn't have to be the Ring, what if he gets stabbed by a Morgul blade and succumbs? That's well within the lore. I can see that premise, I just can'r see how he wouldn't then be in league with Sauron.

there is no internal conflict in that, or hybrid state.  just a slow decent into the inevitable servitude of darkness.

Frodo could not have lived in an in-between state, nor could Turbines crafted story involving Amdir.  falling into darkness, death itself, or extracting that corruption are really the only options.  hybrid, conflicted, in-between... it doesn't fall in line with the Lore, but is at direct odds with it.

the lust for the ring, or direct exposure to it is the only mechanism were-by ones own will remains intact,  corrupted & twisted slowly with the passage of time.  & the ring is tucked away, either in Golums' possession, or Bilbos', depending on the time-frame.

what seems to be suggested is that this ranger nature manages to manifest a will in opposition to the wraith nature...  & that is some pure unadulterated horseshit right there.

the ring wraiths were not corrupted by their 9 rings, but rather the connection those rings had to the one.  that was what bound them in darkness.

this hybrid ranger/wraith is completely outside the bounds of what Tolkien penned.  it is ridiculous. 

i have no problem that they want to create such a game, but do so without using this IP.  as it stands now, they are always going to be justifying this situation & that will be like developing behind an 8 ball.  better to have started with a unique idea & made a fresh new title.

anyway,  now that Warner has publicized this new development & direction for the license...  we shall soon see what that means for the existing game currently active.  LoTRO's usefulness as a placeholder has considerably diminished, now that a new title is in development.

This game is so outside the lore it's not even funny.

So it's not Turbine that is destroying the game, it's Warner Brothers.

But then again, their track record for games isn't very good. Perhaps they should stick to the movies.

This is my main reason i won't be touching it, my secondary reason is the brief mention of Arkham "Arkham is the way to handle an IP", i have a horrible feeling they will try to use the same or a similar engine to the one used in the Arkham games, if that's the case i will hate it, i just can't play those games because of the camera angle, it feels like i'm standing 6 feet behind and to the side of the character i'm controling, it's extremely uncomfortable to play, i recently got war in the north on the humble bundle and couldn't stand more than an hour or so of that becasue of the odd camera angle.

I wouldn't go near this with a barge pole.

Nothing about this appeals to me other than it loosely being based on the IP... and due to it's timeline setting, the lorebreaks and poetic license in this badboy are going to be grotesque.

PASS! Hehe, hurry up with ESO dammit! :Y

Hmm.

IF:

a ) This game will NOT have always-online thing like Diablo 3 or Simcity, etc

b ) Will NOT have cash shop or similar thing

c ) Will NOT have NPC saying in game "to get there buy a DLC" thing, like Dragon Age did.

d ) Will NOT have more than few DLCs overall

e ) Will NOT have more face-palm and /or tawdry things like this ranger-Wrath

f  )  Will BE good game mechanically, graphicallly and otherwise

Then I may actually buy it.

Althrough this really does not fit, nor is a good choice overall.  Will Smith has it okeyish peroid of acting careeer, but well everything ends.  I don't really look forward to more productions with him anymore.   Anyone saw his last sc-fi movie, where he put his son as leading actor?   Ugh. That was so bad I've stopped watching after half an hour or so.

==============================

As for Lore talks and lore-breaks.  Get used to it folks in regards to Middle-Earth and Lotr.   Middle-Earth got commercialized as one of main nerd / fantasy  Intellectual Property, next to things like Star Wars or Star Trek or Superhero Comics-lore and it will be mercilessly milked, with all lore-breaks and all kind of products, including tawdry ones.

If you're looking for serious, consistant, cohherent fantasy worlds and stories - then I advise you to look for another fantasy world / book / Iore.    You won't get much of these kind of products from Warner Bros or other companies in Middle-Earth anymore.

There will be IMHO no next Lotro Shadow of Angmar-like game that was build as semi-mainstream game with relatively lot of lore-respect, lore things and relative coherency.

That is sad story that happened before and will happen again.  When most-invested lore-folks are used as an early adopters and effeficient advertisement machine, until Intellectual Property get huge mainstream recognition and then lore-folks get "sacrificed" in sake of mainstream huge profits.

there is no internal conflict in that, or hybrid state.  just a slow decent into the inevitable servitude of darkness.

Frodo could not have lived in an in-between state, nor could Turbines crafted story involving Amdir.  falling into darkness, death itself, or extracting that corruption are really the only options.  hybrid, conflicted, in-between... it doesn't fall in line with the Lore, but is at direct odds with it.

the lust for the ring, or direct exposure to it is the only mechanism were-by ones own will remains intact,  corrupted & twisted slowly with the passage of time.  & the ring is tucked away, either in Golums' possession, or Bilbos', depending on the time-frame.

what seems to be suggested is that this ranger nature manages to manifest a will in opposition to the wraith nature...  & that is some pure unadulterated horseshit right there.

the ring wraiths were not corrupted by their 9 rings, but rather the connection those rings had to the one.  that was what bound them in darkness.

this hybrid ranger/wraith is completely outside the bounds of what Tolkien penned.  it is ridiculous. 

i have no problem that they want to create such a game, but do so without using this IP.  as it stands now, they are always going to be justifying this situation & that will be like developing behind an 8 ball.  better to have started with a unique idea & made a fresh new title.

anyway,  now that Warner has publicized this new development & direction for the license...  we shall soon see what that means for the existing game currently active.  LoTRO's usefulness as a placeholder has considerably diminished, now that a new title is in development.

Ok, Ranger and Ring Wraith fight, Ranger wins, but is nicked by a Morgul blade and takes RW's ring as a souvenir. He then dies, rings powers, tied to the One Ring of course, brings Ranger back to life, BUT he has an ancient Anorian artifact that counteracts the much weaker power of one of the Nine, so he can withstand the pull of evil to avenge the death of his family.

LOTR meets Shadowman meets Blade meets Deathwish :)

Hollywood Swollywood, I could write this lame shit too.

Is it a sign of Turbine's imminent demise if WB are choosing other game companies to make a Middle-earth game for them than Turbine?

WB made other Middle-Earth games in other studios both before and after it took over Turbine so not really.

There were / are few M-E games and Turbine is just a studio that did / is doing only one of them. Turbine is not some kind of main or only studio to make M-E games.

Besides Turbine don't really have any experience  afaik in making non-MMO games, so it might not be a good choice to make one.

After all Turbine is an MMO and lobby online games (DDO and now Infinite Crisis) games studio and not Middle-Earth games studio.

Monolith being owned by WB makes me sad :(

For some reason I never noticed. Maybe because WB let them do F.E.A.R. the way they wanted.

Yeah it seems WB own Monolith since 2004. It was Monolith that did Guardians of Middle-Earth for WB, if you did not know that.

Is it a sign of Turbine's imminent demise if WB are choosing other game companies to make a Middle-earth game for them than Turbine?

I think it's more like the dish-washing powder illusion of concurrence: lots of boxes with different names on them and the same shit inside. The customer feels empowered to chose his favorite brand, while he really is just a rat in the marketing departement maze.

I wonder for how long has this game been in development ? It was probably part of the push to acquire Turbine and the rights to all the LotR lore.

Monolith/Warner began testing concept in December 2012/January 2013.  hiring for positions on the project began in May 2013.  so it is still very early & also why the video contains no actual game footage.

so not that long.  ;)

Doro:

Not really. There's been other games made "about" Middle-earth during the time of LOTRO after WB bought Turbine.

I think Doro is actually more right. WB heavily advertised other Hobbit games instead of Lotro when the first Hobbit movie was coming out. Turbine even went as far as sending me an email telling me to play a Kabam Hobbit game (not to spend my time on Lotro).

I cannot see how a complete lack or any real advertising of Lotro at the Hobbit release - when WB was majorly advertising other Tolkien games - is unrelated to Lotro's demise. If they had advertised Lotro - say before the movies - you would have more players and mabye Turbine would not be so desperate and money-grabbing in it's decisions about the game.

But I guess long ago WB and Turbine decided not to try to increase players and build a better Lotro game - but just to milk it for money as it dies.

Doro:

I think Doro is actually more right. WB heavily advertised other Hobbit games instead of Lotro when the first Hobbit movie was coming out. Turbine even went as far as sending me an email telling me to play a Kabam Hobbit game (not to spend my time on Lotro).

I cannot see how a complete lack or any real advertising of Lotro at the Hobbit release - when WB was majorly advertising other Tolkien games - is unrelated to Lotro's demise. If they had advertised Lotro - say before the movies - you would have more players and mabye Turbine would not be so desperate and money-grabbing in it's decisions about the game.

But I guess long ago WB and Turbine decided not to try to increase players and build a better Lotro game - but just to milk it for money as it dies.

You're writing about Lotro demise, while Doro was writing about Turbine demise.  It is not the same thing.

Turbines server farm still has it's usefulness & has in the past and likely will continue to facilitate Warners plans as they approach the development stage on various projects.

as for keeping the company logo & trademark active, there may be reasons in the financial department for maintaining that identity; someone with a background in business accounting & taxes would be better qualified to outline that argument than i.

as the year end approaches & Infinite Crisis still hasn't been given an official launch date...  and there is no change in the language indicating a more long term approach.  i do wonder should that product fail to launch, or launch with abysmal market impact,  the Turbine brand may be at the end of its shelf life.

but Warner using Monolith to develop this new platform doesn't really indicate anything, other than they are utilizing the license from Saul Zaentz in another fashion.  & it is my opinion that has more impact on the future of LoTRO itself, then the studio.