Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor Announced

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Voice acting by Will Smith.

Wow. Congratulations WB. You've managed the impossible. You've jaded me to such degrees that I'm utterly disinterested in any Middle-earth video game you can output.   That sounds like a Middle-eart

Will Smith"s character (to Sauron): "There's only one way you're getting that ring, baby, and that's through me."     And I will only accept this if Tom Bombadil sings during the end credits "Hey D

But this is the second time they've used Monolith to make a Middle-earth game, as opposed to picking a games company they own. It's as if they don't trust Turbine to make a quality game...

They (WB) own Monolith since 2004, so far longer than they own Turbine. 

But this is the second time they've used Monolith to make a Middle-earth game, as opposed to picking a games company they own. It's as if they don't trust Turbine to make a quality game...

Turbine had no connection whatsoever to the development for platform, &/or conversion/porting of the Arkham material to PC.  does Turbine even have a platform game?  don't think so, they are PC only as far as i can tell.

this is part of Warners' marketing, connecting the Arkham series to the style & playability of this new title.  ranger/wraith hybrid says, "I'm Batman!"  >.<

as far as Guardians of Middle Earth is concerned;  Warner hasn't acquired a studio that has previously put out a DOTA/MOBA/RTS BattleArena.  so it is likely they will try that genre out in several different studios until they make a hit, or abandon the concept.

WB do own Monolith. Just like they own Traveller's Tales, developers of Aragorn's Quest. They also owned Snowblind, developers of War in the North, before merging that team into, yes, you guessed it, Monolith. Shadows of Mordor is basically War in the North 2.

Turbine, are, it seems, just one developer within a family of WB owned studios who output Tolkien-themed materials.

does Turbine even have a platform game?  don't think so, they are PC only as far as i can tell.

Not only Turbine is up-till now PC only, but they are MMO and lately lobby online games only developer.  They have not released any single playe, co-op or standard multiplayer of any genre be it RPG, platformer, sooter or whatever else game never.

WB do own Monolith. Just like they own Traveller's Tales, developers of Aragorn's Quest. They also owned Snowblind, developers of War in the North, before merging that team into, yes, you guessed it, Monolith. Shadows of Mordor is basically War in the North 2.

Turbine, are, it seems, just one developer within a family of WB owned studios who output Tolkien-themed materials.

it is interesting, that in initial marketing for this game, they don't establish any connection to War in the North, but instead play off the Arkham series, even though Monolith had no direct roll in development of that series, but rather developed Gotham City Imposters...  the connection is shaky at best, but Warner also owns Rocksteady Developers... who did make Arkham, so i'd guess internally there is some crossover. 

that said, you are correct about Snowblind & the merger of this property & Monolith.

all in all Warner has their corporate dick in many pies.

Not only Turbine is up-till now PC only, but they are MMO and lately lobby online games only developer.  They have not released any single playe, co-op or standard multiplayer of any genre be it RPG, platformer, sooter or whatever else game never.

yep, that is what i figured.

& depending on what happens with Infinite Crisis, i wonder if Warner will take another shot at an RTS Battle arena with another one of its many studios, or throw in the towel?

aside from Turbines server infrastructure being a great place to placeholder future products about to be developed for Warner...   the future does look very questionable for the Studio.

even a recent acquisition of a Korean developer by Warner & their partnering with a Chinese distributor could indicate that Turbines status as an MMO studio has outlived its purpose.  there are indicators that Warner & their MMO market are heading elsewhere.

anyway, lots of interesting stuff to contemplate & as we have seen with this latest title from Monolith, not entirely a wasted endeavor.  ;)

Supposedly the character is a ranger that is some weird wraith/human hybrid.

So where are the lore monkeys and their howls of protest? There is NO SUCH CREATURE in the stories. It's like being just a little bit pregnant. Either you are fully consumed, or you are NOT. And in the interim, you aren't in control, the puppet master is. Or more like FRODO, a limp noodle in need of healing before suffering from terminal deadness.

Ok, Ranger and Ring Wraith fight, Ranger wins, but is nicked by a Morgul blade and takes RW's ring as a souvenir. He then dies, rings powers, tied to the One Ring of course, brings Ranger back to life, BUT he has an ancient Anorian artifact that counteracts the much weaker power of one of the Nine, so he can withstand the pull of evil to avenge the death of his family.

LOTR meets Shadowman meets Blade meets Deathwish :)

Hollywood Swollywood, I could write this lame shit too.

so what happens to the wraith who is now ringless?  does that mean the 9 are now 8?

the problem never goes away.

& a device that counteracts the one ring...  heh.

like all who possessed, or sought to possess, said ring believed they could will it to good ends.

again, no.

the only way to deal with this hybrid scenario, is to throw the source material under the bus.  which is what i suspect will happen.

Voice acting by Will Smith.

Will Smith"s character (to Sauron): "There's only one way you're getting that ring, baby, and that's through me."

And I will only accept this if Tom Bombadil sings during the end credits "Hey Dol! Merry Dol!-Skrillex Remix"

Hel dol wub wub wub wub Merry Merry dol wubwubwubwubwub

• Upvote 1

as for keeping the company logo & trademark active, there may be reasons in the financial department for maintaining that identity; someone with a background in business accounting & taxes would be better qualified to outline that argument than i.

This is one of the main reasons companies keep subsidiary companies as seperate businesses owned by parent companies, it's all about paying less tax and avoiding manopolies laws etc. I've even seen companies sell their own subsidiaries to other subsidiaries of themselves to avoid tax in the UK.

It also makes it easier to make people redundant too, most countries have laws that prohibit hiring new staff in similar positions to ones that have recently been made redundant for X amount of time, so keeping multiple companies that do the same thing under one umbrella means they can fire a team from one and still hire a team to do an identical job in the other.

It's ridiculous what they can get away with.

This is one of the main reasons companies keep subsidiary companies as seperate businesses owned by parent companies, it's all about paying less tax and avoiding manopolies laws etc. I've even seen companies sell their own subsidiaries to other subsidiaries of themselves to avoid tax in the UK.

It also makes it easier to make people redundant too, most countries have laws that prohibit hiring new staff in similar positions to ones that have recently been made redundant for X amount of time, so keeping multiple companies that do the same thing under one umbrella means they can fire a team from one and still hire a team to do an identical job in the other.

Yup. This this.  Well said.

People get agitated and annoyed over certain 'everyday laws' or over some "controversial" thing a tabloid or News TV feed them, but people don't realize how they get royally fuc...d in the a** by how economic model and laws are constructed. 

If you ever imagined why it seems like taxes (including non-direct ones like Value Added Tax) for normal people and small companies are increasing and why in last ~20 years corporation seem to push out smaller companies from more and more markets - well now you know at least part of the answer :)

They have competetive advantage simply because how laws are constructed and how they can use them to their advantage because they have funds to use them like that.  (  spend alot in order to save even more ).

Will Smith"s character (to Sauron): "There's only one way you're getting that ring, baby, and that's through me."

And I will only accept this if Tom Bombadil sings during the end credits "Hey Dol! Merry Dol!-Skrillex Remix"

Hel dol wub wub wub wub Merry Merry dol wubwubwubwubwub

Little known fact: Will Smith will play Tom Bombadil in the third part of The Hobbit triology.

it does seem to be a bit of a shell game...

shellgame.jpg

especially with the situation of Warner acquiring Monolith Studios (2004) - SnowBlind Studios (2009) - & Surreal Studios (2009)  cutting staff in each & merging them into one Monolith Studios in 2010/11.

Little known fact: Will Smith will play Tom Bombadil in the third part of The Hobbit triology.

link?  or was joke?  can't tell.

so what happens to the wraith who is now ringless?  does that mean the 9 are now 8?

the problem never goes away.

& a device that counteracts the one ring...  heh.

like all who possessed, or sought to possess, said ring believed they could will it to good ends.

again, no.

the only way to deal with this hybrid scenario, is to throw the source material under the bus.  which is what i suspect will happen.

Are you taking this as seriously as you appear to be? It's a freaking game, FFS. Is it any more lore breaking than Rune Keepers? I dare say, no.

how seriously am i taking this?

This serious?

Not_sure_if_serious.jpg

......or this serious?

gw010.jpg

I finally watched the Shadows game video. Wow - that has nothing to do with Tolkien. Antone that far gone never comes back to his better self in Tolkien.

5fbcd1ad82e24f52a50c020e70198d19.jpg

(evil Spock)

Evil Spock is so much cooler that good Spock, it must be the goatee!

No, nO, NO! You do know this has been asked and answered so many times! Right?

It will definitely be Chuck Norris, Yes... definitely Chuck Norris. But, in Jackson fashion, instead of singing and hopping about he will wheel-kick all those wights heads right off! Indeed.

---

The New LOTRO: Like fixing a toilet with a screwdriver....

• 2 months later...
I mean, a Ranger with Wraith skills?? Wraiths are evil. Mmmkay?

yes but imagine the prequel storyline about his lineage; middle earth love story waiting to be told. Maybe a half ass game can spawn a movie just through volume of butthurt. In WBs world butthurt is still money (cue Paiz vid...)

Exactly. Turbine is unlikely to stop developing games after LOTRO shuts down, whenever that will be.

Nothing prevents Turbine from shutting down after Lotro is transferred elsewhere, or turbine (and lotro) being merged into a larger studio and work is re-divided. So one does not have to come before the other.