Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor Announced

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Voice acting by Will Smith.

Wow. Congratulations WB. You've managed the impossible. You've jaded me to such degrees that I'm utterly disinterested in any Middle-earth video game you can output.   That sounds like a Middle-eart

Will Smith"s character (to Sauron): "There's only one way you're getting that ring, baby, and that's through me."     And I will only accept this if Tom Bombadil sings during the end credits "Hey D

Heh. Apparently some programmer type has claimed that Shadows of Mordor lifts code and animation directly from Assassin's Creed 2.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/446568/assassins-creed-2-lead-accuses-shadow-of-mordor-of-imitation/

Wow, yeah.  I think he's on to something there, and more than just the combat system: the climbing and walking along tightropes animations look identical to the AC series as well.

Assasin's Creed : Middle Earth Parody

Wow. I just watched this.

First of all, can someone give the narrator a cough drop?

That game looks awful. Wonder what Tolkien would think of this brilliant orc boss name: "Ratbag the Meat Hoarder". Tolkien was brilliant with names.

Please tell me this video is fake and a joke? The level of gratuitous gore horror and murder done by the main character is disgusting. It is like using LOTR to sell violence.

Well, they lost me right at the beginning when I mis-heard the narrator start off with "You are Italian."    :?

So I'm Italian the Wraith-Ranger who uses the Evil Spock mind-meld to create blue-hand orc minions to defeat Sauron, and waves severed orc-heads around while screaming maniacally.   7(8)7

Good luck with that.

Well, they lost me right at the beginning when I mis-heard the narrator start off with "You are Italian."    :?

It was linked on this forum with the label Middle Earth/Assassins creed parody. So when I heard "You are an Italian" I thought someone made a parody of Assasin's Creed that was in this new game. It is slightly bizarre enough that it seems at first it is a joke video. Funny.

That has to be the funniest thing I've seen about the game. Warner Brothers are blatantly and unashamedly ripping off Assassin's Creed. This 'Wraith Vision', or whatever it is, is exactly the same as 'Eagle Vision'. They've got the same combat style. They've got the same 'free-running' style.

And what's funnier is that they've labelled it as 'Middle-earth' when it's anything but Middle-earth. They're now just using the name to make sales instead of actually making use of the world they own.

Just goes to show what WB is willing to do in order to leverage their investment in the LOTR IP. I do wonder whether the penny is dropping with the diehards on the official forum that the lore may not be 100% safe in WB's hands.

On that forum there is a thread discussing giant goats as potential war steeds. Getting the usual lore-based arguments deployed, most of which I don't disagree with but so far not one person has cottoned on that on the evidence of this game, all aspects of lore will be under threat. 

There is no originality in this at all. They took the lead out of Devil May Cry, the gameplay of Assassin's Creed and the style of Witcher. I'm still trying to think up a game that already employed this 'nemesis system' but I'm sure one exists.

I'm still trying to think up a game that already employed this 'nemesis system' but I'm sure one exists.

I can't think of one, either. It sounds like a neat feature, and I'd be all for that in another, less annoying game, but I feel this feature is wasted on Shadow of Mordor. Just another WB bastardization of the Tolkien works, much like Guardians of Middle-Earth was.

If you were to change the location of the game to some generic fantasy world and replace Sauron with a generic bad guy then this game would be fine

I would be more inclined to pick it up for the PS4 if they did that...

But yes, it will just be a bad generic lookalike.

If you were to change the location of the game to some generic fantasy world and replace Sauron with a generic bad guy then this game would be fine

That's exactly what came to my mind as well. If it was changed to an original story, the mechanics look like it could make an interesting game. But as it stands, it's a blatant cash-in attempt at the LotR world.

The thing is, it shouldn't matter about the name if you're looking for a fun game to play. The fact that this is LotR only really matters if you were looking for a game that was about LotR, in which case you'd be disappointed. But if you want an Assassin's Creed knock-off, then the name doesn't matter.

The thing is, it shouldn't matter about the name if you're looking for a fun game to play. The fact that this is LotR only really matters if you were looking for a game that was about LotR, in which case you'd be disappointed. But if you want an Assassin's Creed knock-off, then the name doesn't matter.

I've got to agree here, if the game is good and is fun to play it really doesn't matter to me what it's about, and it really doesn't matter if it's a knock off of another game as long as it plays well and is fun.

• 4 weeks later...