LOTROCommunity

Developer Diary Epic Battles Introduction

cossieuk

This developer diary lyric is really special. They write at length about the challenges they faced and say nothing about what they think they may have achieved. Only that they look forward to sharing the result with us. Should they not be a bit more confident an cheerful about the results of their hard work? Especially when no one else is?

For me this reads like an excuse that they have killed the game. Why should I want to be an Engineer or Officer? If I want to play strategy games, I have surely better choices. And the role of the Vanguard? The message reads to me like "if you insist on fighting like you have trained for the past 90 levels, all this will be good for is a heroic death".

I probably should get a bit more cheerful myself... :+

The picture from the dev diary itself is really uninspiring:

BigBattles3.jpg

Boulders are transparent, the ennemy army is too disciplined, attacking in small squadrons. The whole image has even been darkened to hide those flaws. It's even worse when you engage in close combat, as there is only a small stream of ennemies running to the barricades. When reading the books it felt more like a zerg rush if you see what I mean.

I really want them to stop calling these Dev diaries, as they're no longer any insight on the development process and just PR fluff.  However, I'm struggling to think of any good names for what they should be called.  Suggestions?

I think Dev Suggestions is an excellent name for them. :Y)

"Maybe if we keep suggesting that these vague statements are true, people will just believe us and not their own eyes!"

Yep, look at those hundreds of thousands of orcs some fanboys have been talking about!

Should have seen the catapults: Aim at some random orcs just standing there, fire catapult, see none of them drop dead while getting a "you've killed some orcs" message. Fun for hours and definitly worth 40 bucks, don't you think?

"Bringing Helm’s Deep to life, in a way that does justice to the books, and meets the expectations created by watching the scenes from the movie, has been a massive challenge and undertaking for us. We’ve gotten the opportunity to rethink a lot of our previously held truths and conventions of instance design and explore from the ground up what being a part of a war is like, and then create the systems to bring that experience to life

But then we thought - nah - that sounds really hard. Let's just use the old proof of concept demo code we knocked up in an afternoon, get some lying asshole to write a bunch of marketing bullshit and have Heaton ban anyone who doesn't like them.

So instead they draw fake enemies in the distance and have Uruks come at you 5 at a time

Except they don't even come at you. They just jog along their preset path and attack the first soldier they encounter. And if they don't encounter one they hit an invisible line and just stand there.

There's no feel of a real battle in any of this.  I was expecting really epic next-gen Thanguliad/seige of Gondomon type stuff.  Standing shoulder to shoulder with the Rohirrim against thousands of screaming orcs surging against the defenses etc.

This  - this is just scripted repetitive bullshit.  

Rest assured, they feel even a pathetic representation of Helm's Deep is better than no representation.

I beg to differ... These are amateur developers trying to re-create an iconic fantasy event. They don't even know/care when they're trying to play out of their league anymore.

As much as I hate to say it, they would have been way better off making HD events all session play. I hate session play, but for dramatic events, it's the best they could hope to do. Then maybe they could have included some peripheral engaging gameplay rather than force-feeding us a gimmick that doesn't play analagous to anything remotely connected to any gameplay to date. The crap about this part of the story not catering to traditional instance clusters and whatnot is complete PR bullshit. They've managed to contrive instances and raids in every past segement.

Once the glow of recent "accomplishment" has worn off, I'm not sure how any of them could look back on a screenshot such as the one above and still feel they did justice to anything this side of disappointment. I feel like this may have been worthy of the term "accomplishment" in maybe, oh, 2002? Maybe.

Rest assured, they feel even a pathetic representation of Helm's Deep is better than no representation.

I beg to differ... These are amateur developers trying to re-create an iconic fantasy event. 

Actually, those would have probably done a better job but WB hit them with a cease and desist.  These hired professionals (and newbie devs) have been told to recreate the Gondamon skirmish and change the map a bit.

So new name for dev diaries......... how about................. 

WEEKLY WILFREDS!!!

Actually, those would have probably done a better job but WB hit them with a cease and desist.  These hired professionals (and newbie devs) have been told to recreate the Gondamon skirmish and change the map a bit.

So new name for dev diaries......... how about................. 

WEEKLY WILFREDS!!!

You should save yourself time and set up a script that looks for #LOTRO on Twitter and automatically responds with your Wilfred gif.

That would be funny if every tweet with #lotro was followed with a tweet having a tiny URL link to this site. Or just every tweet from Turbine was responded to.

Yep.  Turbine can block people from responding to stuff that @lotro tweets, but I don't believe that there's any way for an entity to control a hashtag.

Yep.  Turbine can block people from responding to stuff that @lotro tweets, but I don't believe that there's any way for an entity to control a hashtag.

Turbine can simply block it from showing in their feed, but that won't change its proliferation on the rest of twitters to my knowledge.

Turbine can simply block it from showing in their feed, but that won't change its proliferation on the rest of twitters to my knowledge.

Correct. I made a comment about HD yesterday on Twitter, in response to a question @LOTRO had posted. Technically @LOTRO could remove my comment from appearing in their feed, but anyone who read my feed, #LOTRO, or #HELMSDEEP would see my comment.