LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Fredelas

Who wants to be on the 2014 Player Council?

According to the rules at http://www.lotro.com/en/game/articles/we-are-very-pleased-announce-lotro-player-council

• Council members serve for the stated calendar year. The 2013 Player Council will serve for all of 2013, etc.

we should be getting a brand new set of player council members in about 6 weeks.

Since this leaves very little time for Turbine to actually select council members, I'm looking for players to recommend so I can start writing some recommendations now. I don't expect my recommendations to carry any weight. But I still think getting involved like this is an important part of service to the community.

Even if you're not from Brandywine and I haven't played with you before, I think I've learned enough about what certain players here are passionate about, how they communicate, and how they interact with others to write a meaningful recommendation. And if I don't know enough about you, illuminate me!

So how about it? Who wants to be on next year's council? (Feel free to send me a private message if you're shy!)

I applied last year, but am soooo glad I wasn't accepted. I think that might be to do with my posting history, but hey... whatever.

No, that doesn't mean you should troll me and nominate me this year lol

The council thing worked out the worst way I feared it would.

No communication allowed with the playerbase.

It's just a focus group. Previously some said it is a glorified focus group. No, it's just a focus group, but under direct control of Turbine.

If they will fly me to Boston before I have to do a year of free work and ass-kissing, then I will be on it.

no offense, council members

The fact that I'd be prevented from any sort of communication whatsoever with the playerbase about any meaningful results and discussion within the council means that I couldn't in good conscience put myself up.  Besides, I doubt I'm on the Christmas Card list over there at the moment.

A lot of people here (including me) knew from the start that The Council will mean nothing and will be used by Turbine for their convenience (to put all the blame on them).

The biggest problem for me is that from what i have read in other threads, there are council members who never got to the level cap and they are still "experts" on some classes and suggest the changes! This is so absolutely crazy and unacceptable for me.

Like Ronnie said. If they are forbidden to communicate with player base, they as Council are simply meaningless.

No thanks, I said from day one of the announcement that it would not work, councils/senates etc in games are just publicity ploys and usually desperate ones, i wouldn't be par tof one if you paid me.

They want some of my time in exchange for things I don't really want. I am not going to apply. I would have applied four or five years ago, but it is too late.

No thanks, I said from day one of the announcement that it would not work, councils/senates etc in games are just publicity ploys and usually desperate ones, i wouldn't be par tof one if you paid me.

I do not follow it closely anymore but i think the council in EVE have some meaning actually.

But in general i agree about councils/senates.

I do not follow it closely anymore but i think the council in EVE have some meaning actually.

But in general i agree about councils/senates.

Nah they never really had any sway, the only time they did was during the $70 store items/walking in stations fiasco, but that was less about them making CCP u-turn and more about mittens taking credit on behalf of the council for the mass uprise of the playerbase causing CCP to alter their plans slightly and still do what they were gong to do but bit by bit instead all in one go.

https://www.lotro.com/en/game/articles/we-are-very-pleased-announce-lotro-player-council Especially: "Account must be in good standing with no significant violations of Turbine’s Terms of Service, End User License Agreement or Community Guidelines. Accounts must remain free of said violations during the period of service".  Or else what?

Based on what they asked for initially, I am wondering how many in the council who were in fact active? It is quite clear, however, that it has only succeded in driving another wedge into the community. Good thought, bad implementation.

Personally I wouldn't be surprised if we don't hear anything about the 2014 council and this years group stays on.  If you remember, they made the same pledge about Palantir (either 3 or 6 month stints) - but have you seen any new application requests for that program?

I think Turbine has bigger issues and this one will get swept under the rug...

Personally I wouldn't be surprised if we don't hear anything about the 2014 council and this years group stays on.  If you remember, they made the same pledge about Palantir (either 3 or 6 month stints) - but have you seen any new application requests for that program?

I think Turbine has bigger issues and this one will get swept under the rug...

You are perhaps correct, Doc, but how many of the current Council members would want to stay on another year? Right now it might be a good amount of them, but once the feces hits the fan at HD's launch, that number will likely decline significantly, especially if Turbine staff point the finger at the Council regarding HD issues (such as the class changes). How many will be left if that happens? Those that don't resign immediately will likely refuse to stand for another year, at least the vast majority won't do it again.

I really wouldn't want to become the "punching bag" the council members have become. That said, I feel for the current council and wonder if they really knew what they were getting themselves into.

I really wouldn't want to become the "punching bag" the council members have become. That said, I feel for the current council and wonder if they really knew what they were getting themselves into.

Indeed. I think a lot of people could see how bad they would be treated, but I'm not sure all of the Player Council members realized those proclamations of doom would actually come to pass. I suspect it isn't going to get any better from here on out, either.

I dunno, but I thought they meant a full 12 months to be the term. Didn't it say "full calendar year"?

I suppose someone could ask Sapience for clarification, but that's how I understood it.

I might be wrong though.

As for the other.
I expected the crap to fly our way.

And to be honest, I couldn't really give a shit about the stuff flying our way.

I'm not ever going to get upset at words on a screen flung at me. If it happens here, expect me to return fire, though.

As for the other.

I expected the crap to fly our way.

And to be honest, I couldn't really give a shit about the stuff flying our way.

I'm not ever going to get upset at words on a screen flung at me. If it happens here, expect me to return fire, though.

I can see expecting criticism, but it seems to me that Sapience just left you guys out to dry.

Indeed. I think a lot of people could see how bad they would be treated, but I'm not sure all of the Player Council members realized those proclamations of doom would actually come to pass. I suspect it isn't going to get any better from here on out, either.

Many people here were saying, what is the nature of this council and i'm sure the ones who post here knew exactly what to expect (those who thought it is going to be nice and candy but first of all those that thought they will have some big impact on the changes, were just naive) and what they are getting into.

I guess the temptation was bigger...

I just hope that they know now to never trust Turbine no matter what. The fact that they absolutely cannot communicate with playerbase is just one good reason to resign from the council.

I can see expecting criticism, but it seems to me that Sapience just left you guys out to dry.

I can't say I feel that way but I may have missed a post or something

Many people here were saying, what is the nature of this council and i'm sure the ones who post here knew exactly what to expect (those who thought it is going to be nice and candy but first of all those that thought they will have some big impact on the changes, were just naive) and what they are getting into.

I guess the temptation was bigger...

I just hope that they know now to never trust Turbine no matter what. The fact that they absolutely cannot communicate with playerbase is just one good reason to resign from the council.

Then Turbine the Deceiver gave to them high positions of power (sorry, could resist :P)

I can't say I feel that way but I may have missed a post or something

There is almost no communication (that I have seen) between the Council and the playerbase. To top it off, Turbine is making changes that appear to irritate half the playerbase, as well as shutting down threads for no apparent reason and our "voice" to link us to Turbine isn't able to respond.