LOTROCommunity
Iorionael

Just been bombed out of LOTRO

Don't expansions generally launch on Tuesdays anyway?  Why were they going to release it today?

Lately, releases have gone out on either Monday or Wednesday. RoR was also released on a Monday.

I saw that as well, everything there looks weird.

Hey, Sapience, your forums are funny!  All squished an' weird!

_O-

I saw that as well, everything there looks weird.

Hey, Sapience, your forums are funny!  All squished an' weird!

_O-

The wind must have picked up again around the Turbine offices  :Y

I see what you did there.

(that dialogue plays far too often :P)

Yes, but it's so cute.  Unlike the hylek who keeps bellowing about proving the sun shines through me in Caledon Forest.

Nice to see that he has a sense of humor - that explains why he thinks the current loot system is good.

Spot on... lol.

Although I'm sure he doesn't "like" it, he was probably told to do that by the Paiz's.

I'm not trying to be negative, I work in IT and have never seen a quality DataCenter lose power for more than a few minutes. Sure after such an event it can take machines a substantial amount of time to come back up but typically power is not one of the primary failures.

Sadly, I have. It was one of the biggest datacenters in the Netherlands. Their main powerline went down. No problem, backup system kicked in. Except, that wasn't done properly, everything switched to the backup at once, causing that to fail due to a power surge. Again, no biggie, there's a large diesel aggregate outside to power everything. "Why isn't that kicking in guys?" Yeah, uh, we kinda forgot to fill the diesel tank. It's dry.

Never did a DC empty so quickly.

Sadly, I have. It was one of the biggest datacenters in the Netherlands. Their main powerline went down. No problem, backup system kicked in. Except, that wasn't done properly, everything switched to the backup at once, causing that to fail due to a power surge. Again, no biggie, there's a large diesel aggregate outside to power everything. "Why isn't that kicking in guys?" Yeah, uh, we kinda forgot to fill the diesel tank. It's dry.

Never did a DC empty so quickly.

Heh, that was unfortunate.

Was booted from game about an hr and a half ago when my server went down, when I logged back in I list all of my relic boxes I was deconstructing, the boxes are gone from my bags, and I have no relics, sent a ticket, someone else said that they got theirs back after the big crash last night, I eventually get the ticket closed with the standard reply of "we can't do anything".... Is that standard practice for MMO companies when there is a rollback after a server crashes to just say *meh, not our fault our servers are shite!* ? Or just these muppets (actually, that's an insult to muppets)

I lost well over 100 (closer to 150) un-deconstructed boxes of relics and they can't even bother to actually talk to me, or offer consistent support between different GM's.

Good job HD is looking like a steaming pile of doggydoo and I won't need them I guess!

Sorry for the slight grr-ing, mainly I just wanted to know if that was standard practice or not elsewhere.

Was booted from game about an hr and a half ago when my server went down, when I logged back in I list all of my relic boxes I was deconstructing, the boxes are gone from my bags, and I have no relics, sent a ticket, someone else said that they got theirs back after the big crash last night, I eventually get the ticket closed with the standard reply of "we can't do anything".... Is that standard practice for MMO companies when there is a rollback after a server crashes to just say *meh, not our fault our servers are shite!* ? Or just these muppets (actually, that's an insult to muppets)

I lost well over 100 (closer to 150) un-deconstructed boxes of relics and they can't even bother to actually talk to me, or offer consistent support between different GM's.

Good job HD is looking like a steaming pile of doggydoo and I won't need them I guess!

Sorry for the slight grr-ing, mainly I just wanted to know if that was standard practice or not elsewhere.

It's not a rollback if you lost items.

Heh, that was unfortunate.

Last time a data center powered down i was working in it was 11 December 2005, i'd just made a cup of tea and gone to sit at the desk when the wall i had been standing next to not 2 minutes earlier kind of exploded inwards narrowly missing me and my colleague, the servers on the other side of the wall were wrecked. The cause? The oil depot next door had exploded, the building i was working in was literally mere yards from the Buncefield oil depot. Now that's unfortunate.

Last time a data center powered down i was working in it was 11 December 2005, i'd just made a cup of tea and gone to sit at the desk when the wall i had been standing next to not 2 minutes earlier kind of exploded inwards narrowly missing me and my colleague, the servers on the other side of the wall were wrecked. The cause? The oil depot next door had exploded, the building i was working in was literally mere yards from the Buncefield oil depot. Now that's unfortunate.

Now that is a Critical Failure!

Well, an explosion next door seems like a perfectly sound reason for something to go completely wrong, or for you spilling your tea :P. Improper failover on your power supply for a DC is stupid, and your second backup not having diesel because you forgot is inexcusable.

I have been using the same host for my websites for going on 12 years now, and in that time, their servers have been inaccessible only a few times. Once, my site was down while they moved the server to a new, upgraded location (roughly one hour of downtime, IIRC). Another time some jackass construction crew cut through the main fiber line in Los Angelas, where my host is located (4 hours to re-route the traffic). All other downtime has been due to minor glitches or external forces completely out of the host's control, but those have always been extremely short in duration.

The point is, you get what you pay for. I pay $108/year for hosting alone, plus another $40 for additional URLs I host off of my main site, but I am extremely happy with what I get for that price. Yes, there are cheaper hosts, but none are more professional or can match the service provided. Maybe Turbine ought to look into a host that is focused more on uptime and service, rather than just using the cheapest local solution?