LOTROCommunity

Way to go Sapience

Frieja

I posted in the comments on http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/11/20/lord-of-the-rings-online-posts-helms-deep-release-notes/#comments.  Let's see if he can remove that post.

And when asked about the increase of the cost of Mithril Coin use for a service, the Community Manager replies:  They are only in Helm's Deep, all others remain at 1. In beta we had originally set them at 3 and Fredelas and others suggested it be much higher. We set them to 9 and rolled them back to 5 as the appropriate amount as suggested by Fredelas and other players during beta.  --This not only breaks the community guidelines by mentioning a player's name for support of the change but brings up the name of the player banned BY Sapience for correctly calling out the communication from Turbine towards its clients as paternalistic and sarcastic.  The response from Sapience when many players called him out on his infraction?  He closes the thread with this: I apologize if the facts of the matter and stating them honestly offended anyone.  

Threads appearing since addressing this infraction by the community manager have since been removed, many of them.  Want an interesting article topic, Massively?  Try this one.

Join Date Sep 2012 Posts 6

Fredelas keeps lagging my game out

Any suggestions?

[/indent]

LOL!  I was going to post 'You've come to the right place.  They'll get him for sure this time!'  But it was already removed.  I think Sapience must have installed software that beeps his cellphone anytime the word Fredelas appears in the forums.

user-offline.png Junior Member

Join Date Sep 2012 Posts 6

Fredelas keeps lagging my game out

Any suggestions?

Quoting myself to show that post was removed in about 8 minutes.  He must be sitting there constantly refreshing to catch these.  But so am I.  :D

EDIT:  I just saw Cordovan post something, so looks like maybe he has the night shift.

I posted in the comments on http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/11/20/lord-of-the-rings-online-posts-helms-deep-release-notes/#comments.  Let's see if he can remove that post.

And when asked about the increase of the cost of Mithril Coin use for a service, the Community Manager replies:  They are only in Helm's Deep, all others remain at 1. In beta we had originally set them at 3 and Fredelas and others suggested it be much higher. We set them to 9 and rolled them back to 5 as the appropriate amount as suggested by Fredelas and other players during beta.  --This not only breaks the community guidelines by mentioning a player's name for support of the change but brings up the name of the player banned BY Sapience for correctly calling out the communication from Turbine towards its clients as paternalistic and sarcastic.  The response from Sapience when many players called him out on his infraction?  He closes the thread with this: I apologize if the facts of the matter and stating them honestly offended anyone.  

Threads appearing since addressing this infraction by the community manager have since been removed, many of them.  Want an interesting article topic, Massively?  Try this one.

Now that is a truly constructive thing.  Please keep us updated if you get responses.

Hello everyone

I just signed up to the forum after getting banned from the Turbine forums. I have been a long time lurker here since Rhyaehar set the forums up after CM closed down and having subsequently been pestered by Raedwulf to join.

Anyway, I have had enough of the official forums and honestly don't have the heart to post there anymore. I think it is sad that Turbine show such a lack of empathy with their fan base and would rather try to 'rule with an iron fist' than engage their players. I think we are all pretty realistic in out expectations from LOTRO and don't expect miracles to be performed for the most part. Turbine should realise that a little hummility goes a long way and instead of trying to confront/ban their player base simply their your faults/mistakes and say sorry (it really would go a long way!)?

I cant help but throw in a (semi) quote from star-wars to express my feeling about the way Turbine police their forums....

The more you tighten your grip, Sapience, the more loyal players will slip through your fingers.

Bhoris (Culler/Laurelin)
  • Upvote 1

I cant help but throw in a (semi) quote from star-wars to express my feeling about the way Turbine police their forums....

The more you tighten your grip, Sapience, the more loyal players will slip through your fingers.

Bhoris (Culler/Laurelin)

Ohhhhhhhh! :Y   That is some good stuff right there.

Hello everyone

I just signed up to the forum after getting banned from the Turbine forums. I have been a long time lurker here since Rhyaehar set the forums up after CM closed down and having subsequently been pestered by Raedwulf to join.

Anyway, I have had enough of the official forums and honestly don't have the heart to post there anymore. I think it is sad that Turbine show such a lack of empathy with there fan base and would rather try to 'rule with an iron fist' than engage their players. I think we are all pretty realistic in out expectations from LOTRO and don't expect miracles to be performed for the most part. Turbine should realise that a little hummility goes a long way and instead of trying to confront/ban your player base simply admit your faults/mistakes and say sorry (it really would go a long way!)?

Bhoris (Culler/Laurelin)

Welcome here Bhoris and I respect what you did. 

Hello everyone

Anyway, I have had enough of the official forums and honestly don't have the heart to post there anymore. I think it is sad that Turbine show such a lack of empathy with there fan base and would rather try to 'rule with an iron fist' than engage their players. I think we are all pretty realistic in out expectations from LOTRO and don't expect miracles to be performed for the most part. Turbine should realise that a little hummility goes a long way and instead of trying to confront/ban your player base simply admit your faults/mistakes and say sorry (it really would go a long way!)?

Bhoris (Culler/Laurelin)

Well that solves ALL the problems... right?

Sorry to hear it Bhoris. But at least you can consider yourself to be in some good company.

And it seems that Turbine has a new favorite toy... why bother locking a thread when you can just...

droid-delete-text-message.png

He's got a lot of cajones to quote Fredelas after the treatment he gave him (we know Bans go by his eyes and is the final say). More evidence the player council is the meatshield. Do we really think Fredelas said it should be higher than 1 MC?

Someone fire that ahole.

I predict "pulling a Sap" or "Sapping" will become an industry colloquialism.

And as far as him pulling Fredelas name out of his ass, I've been infracted for bringing too much attention onto a member of Turbine staff or a player, and this ahole goes and does it himself...Biggest question I'd like to ask Turbine senior management and WB in particular: Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I'll attest that BOTH Fredelas and myself felt it should start  (at launch) HIGHER than the 3 Mithril coins per port for the Helms Deep areas it started at in beta 2. ; There was some significant back and forth. The current launch number was LIKELY the closest players and Turbine came to a consensus on anything not-class related over the entire beta.

That still doesn't justify putting his name out there as an example, when he's not allowed to participate directly in the community, why not just say 'Beta players'?

I'll attest that BOTH Fredelas and myself felt it should start  (at launch) HIGHER than the 3 Mithril coins per port for the Helms Deep areas it started at in beta 2. ; There was some significant back and forth. The current launch number was LIKELY the closest players and Turbine came to a consensus on anything not-class related over the entire beta.

That still doesn't justify putting his name out there as an example, when he's not allowed to participate directly in the community, why not just say 'Beta players'?

I didn't doubt it was true Crell. :)

But what is it Sapience has said repeatedly... "Sometimes it isn't what you say but how you say it" (something close to that)

He shouldn't ban Fredelas for the "Sapience doesn't know about Hunter Travel Rations" post and then try to use him like he did. IMO

For a professional in a Communications role it really does seem to me as if Sapience should choose his words with more thought as to how they will be received.

Edit: I think most people here know that Fredelas is very much a "hot button" topic and needs to be handled with care on the LOTRO forums. How can Sapience not have factored that in before he made the post?

Well I had no doubts he was an ass, but this takes things to a whole new low. No wonder they didn't want beta leaks. MC for ports that in some cases you burn TP to buy in the store is kicking people in the nuts after beating them senseless and robbing them, figuratively speaking of course.

No class, no class at all.

I didn't doubt it was true Crell. :)

But what is it Sapience has said repeatedly... "Sometimes it isn't what you say but how you say it" (something close to that)

He shouldn't ban Fredelas for the "Sapience doesn't know about Hunter Travel Rations" post and then try to use him like he did. IMO

For a professional in a Communications role it really does seem to me as if Sapience should choose his words with more thought as to how they will be received.

He chooses his words like a fat man at a buffet: indiscriminately and with little thought for the consequences.

Saw this gem from Andthelion.....think he better get ready, I doubt Sap saw it yet.

user-offline.png Senior Member

Join Date Dec 2011 Posts 312

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Gwuryn viewpost-right.png
Trait trees suck. The end.quote_icon.png

THESE trait trees suck yes I agree with you 100%, but not all trait trees do, i just started playing Rift due to these changes and the trees there are superb they truely offer diversity and flexibility there are an incredible amount of possibilities with those trees and i have no idea why turbine didnt use them as a template for their trees, instead you have ended up with this embarresment.

Probably get another infraction for that, that's how he works. He looks for reasons. Bringing up other games is one of those reasons.

Well folks it's your old pal the Quinn.  I'm about to lay some truth so sit back and enjoy the ride.   I'm going to go ahead and call out some people in the "official" community if you're against that scroll down.

I have never realy said anything about Sapience.  But I will today.   There could come a day when the lotro forums go back to being a nice community but that day is not today.  There will come a day when :

1.   MJK47 is no longer allowed to post his positive trolls that consist mostly of 7 word sentences.

2.  Robbie1435 will not be able to copy and paste from the forum rulebook reprimanding other players

3.  When Khafar is no longer allowed to put his boot heel firmly against the throats of those that form groups over 2 players

4.  RKL is no longer allowed to make troll threads and self moderate for 40 pages.

5.  When ODP  (Old Dirty programmer for you new people) and his wife will no longer be able to single out posters as approved posters

6.  The CM is no longer allowed to flame a poster off the map for criticism.

That day happens the day he is fired.  The place is like the WOW forum during WOTLK, absolutely useless.  Suggestions are flamed if they differ from the dev concept.  Criticism is met by posters doing more of the moderating than the CM.   I said it before that forum is a cesspool.  We need a plumber and fast.  Even I will no longer post over there for fear of any post becoming totally useless.

AWESOME COMMUNITY

Bhoris (Culler/Laurelin)

Brilliant!! And welcome!!

I'm surprised that the thread is just locked as opposed to deleted, tbh. There are good reasons for "don't single out a player/forum member publicly" rules - among them to prevent bullying, harassment and Everquest/Shawn Woolley situations. Hopefully Fredelas doesn't receive any angry tells in game, or if he does, he just laughs them off. But history says that this is a dangerous situation, and to see a community manager instigate it is stunning. Very unprofessional. I don't see how this could be tolerated in any company, even one with a "we know better" mentality.

You do know this is revenge, right? Rick banned Fredelas, and the community was outraged, even some of Rick's minions were upset, so now he's dragging Fred through the mud. Maybe it was a suggestion Fred made, maybe not, I don't know. All I do know is that Rick Heaton just broke multiple forum rules that would have gotten a regular poster banned, all because he's pissed folks took Fred's side regarding the ban.

It is obvious.

It is stupid.

It is petty.

And if this were any other company, Rick would have been fired over it.