LOTROCommunity

Rage threads rising

fanboi_pimp

And to this it has come, that the minstrels of this Middle-Earth resurrect the dead. Oh woes, oh terrible woes!

Seriously, Savyl, you sound like a really nice person.

And I sincerely mean that.

Here's what I think kind of may have happened to you: you met some wrong people for you in LOTRO. That's not your bad and not theirs. It's just the really simple matter of people not being compatible. That is basically all. I don't walk into a poolbar expecting everyone to like having me at their pooltable and neither should you.

It happens all the time. It ends up with both sides accusing eachother, but those accusations are rarely accurate. You wouldn't have gotten them if you had been playing with people more compatible with you.

Lothirieth is a really nice person too, by the way. I have to say that or she'll throw aweful meme's at me :P

Have we all forgotten the worst and most heinous thing that Turbine did?  How about when they changed their billing software and it kept charging credit cards or debit cards until the account balance was 0...not to mention the over draft fees due to the account being totally wiped out, did Turbine pay back their customers and their over draft fees for that?  And people still defend this company to no end.

I agree that the account charging issue was a big issue and absolutely horrible, but I've actually played two other mmo's from different companies that did exactly the same thing, when GOA run the Dark Age of Camelot servers for the EU players it happened twice and again SOE's Star Wars Galaxies had the same issue at one point. This doesn't by any stretch justify what happened, it just hi-lights that it isn't just Turbine that screws the pooch like this, shit just happens some times.

I agree that the account charging issue was a big issue and absolutely horrible, but I've actually played two other mmo's from different companies that did exactly the same thing, when GOA run the Dark Age of Camelot servers for the EU players it happened twice and again SOE's Star Wars Galaxies had the same issue at one point. This doesn't by any stretch justify what happened, it just hi-lights that it isn't just Turbine that screws the pooch like this, shit just happens some times.

Mythic did it twice in a year to Warhammer players

• 1 month later...

A post/thread from a disillusioned new player that is likely to be deleted before long - https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?550110-My-First-Year-with-LOTRO

Another corroboration of Turbine's current development strategy. Leave lotro running in maintenance mode at minimal cost, let fresh players stumble in and poke around, and by the time they've wisened up about the situation they have spent enough to keep this profitable. Spit them out, clean the trap, and wait for someone new to take the hook. 

The one year it has taken that poster to see through it fits an earlier observation that average "life-expectancy" of current lotro playerbase who are being catered to with the current water-thin content is about a year (thus eliminating any need to invest into updating festivals, housing, LIs, and other systems).

• Upvote 1

Good grief. That kind of puts a dent in the overall tenor of the disillusionment: Turbine won quite a bit from that single player/pair in such a short period of time, in a manner unlike normal consumer expenditure where an MMO company normally has to entice a smaller amount over a longer period from a player. There's a bit of a problem on that players' side, in my view. That represents around 100 copies of Helm's Deep.

If anyone has any suggestions of other fantasy-based MMORPG games, please let me know. (Assuming Turbine does not lock this thread like it did another discussing WoW.)

L.O.L.

Jesus Christ.  He and his wife spent $4k on LOTRO during the year they've been playing?  

I was gonna go into that thread and tell him he hasn't seen shit... 1 year ago was when the rapid decline has started. He probably liked the solo content which is really good until after Moria but he doesn't know the good old days when Lotro was an mmo. I didn't bother replying though, too much of a headache.

A lot of people like him and his wife sink absurd amount of money into this shitty game which gives Sapience permission to be cocky and ignorant. They milk good money still and will never change a thing. Sapience and his voodoo fanboys will continue with  " I've been hearing game is dying threads for 7 years now " bullshit.

The game is so empty now it's embarrassing. New players can't even do festival games because of the ghost town situation. Well, it suits them I guess. I moved on a long time ago and don't give a shit anymore. Just a small sigh.

$4000? Wow. I thought it was bad that I've spent a little under $1500 on "World of Warcraft" over the several years I was playing it. If I totaled up all of what I've spent on all of the various MMORPGs I have played, it might be a bit higher than $4000 or so, but that spans a decade of playtime. $4K in a year is simply ludicrous.

It's a troll. No one spends that amount of money on a silly computer game. 4k, whether pounds or dollars would get me a two weeks all inclusive holiday in the Maldives. Still I bet there will be some fun on that thread before it's closed. :)

And this is how Turbine keep afloat. They rely on those so obsessed with the lore they'll ignore how bad the game is and those who have much more money than sense.

I saw this with a Rooster Teeth e-begging they've recently done. Some of their fans gave them literally thousands of dollars each. That's when you know you've got a resource to abuse.

Well if someone spends £4k inside a year on a pc game then they need help. No different from the help someone needs if they pump that money into fixed odds betting terminals.

It's a troll. No one spends that amount of money on a silly computer game. 4k, whether pounds or dollars would get me a two weeks all inclusive holiday in the Maldives. Still I bet there will be some fun on that thread before it's closed. :)

Don't know if that really is a troll, but I have personally known two people who have sunk several thousand dollars on two different games: Perfect world international and a korean MMO formerly hosted by Aeria Games.

So there are such things as "whales" even in the MMO community...

Don't know if that really is a troll, but I have personally known two people who have sunk several thousand dollars on two different games: Perfect world international and a korean MMO formerly hosted by Aeria Games.

So there are such things as "whales" even in the MMO community...

Get those two people help. They're mentally unwell.

Hmm

A year ago, each old expansion was probably 20 dollars each in worst case, so 60 dollars

RoR was newest expansion a year ago, premium was probably 60 dollars

HD was 60 dollars for the premium one

http://store.lotro.com/en/special-offers/ about 150 dollars to spend here

One year of sub is 15 dollars * 12 in the worst case, so 180 dollars

That's about 500 dollars there, and then another 500 for the lady - but that still leaves us with 3000 dollars?

Even the worst offer on TP is 78 TP per dollar, so that's over 230000 TP from 3000 dollars. 

Unless I'm missing something I really don't see how they'd spend that much in a year.

Get those two people help. They're mentally unwell.

I tried to, but our families had a falling out of sorts, so any advice I'd have given would have fallen on deaf ears.

Hmm

A year ago, each old expansion was probably 20 dollars each in worst case, so 60 dollars

RoR was newest expansion a year ago, premium was probably 60 dollars

HD was 60 dollars for the premium one

http://store.lotro.com/en/special-offers/ about 150 dollars to spend here

One year of sub is 15 dollars * 12 in the worst case, so 180 dollars

That's about 500 dollars there, and then another 500 for the lady - but that still leaves us with 3000 dollars?

Even the worst offer on TP is 78 TP per dollar, so that's over 230000 TP from 3000 dollars. 

Unless I'm missing something I really don't see how they'd spend that much in a year.

Maybe the class-based horses, costumes, and/or the lockboxes?

I tried to, but our families had a falling out of sorts, so any advice I'd have given would have fallen on deaf ears.

They're deaf as well?! Well they haven't had much luck.

(just a joke, I get what you mean)