LOTROCommunity

Ok, list the things Turbine/Sappo has done wrong to you....

I am starting this thread after all the banter we have had into one simple thread......

As for me, my original account was hacked into then permabanned for being a gold seller, even tho I called CS, put in multiple tickets to the GM's, and no one wanted to hear it even after I could verify my identity, password, credit card information.  My account had a rank 10 LM back at level 65 and all.  Not that it matters now because I am over Turbine's bullshit.  But I open this thread up to all those whom have been wronged by Turbine and Crappo.

At the risk of sounding "obsessed" with Turbine or Rick Heaton, I'll chime in, although my issues lie mostly with Turbine.

1) Forum account was placed on Permanent Moderation, because I had publicly "Left LOTRO" (for Rift, actually). When I contacted Celestrata, who had issued the Moderation, to let her know I had in fact returned to LOTRO (being a Lifer, I can come and go as often as I like), to which I was told I hadn't been back long enough. When I asked how long would constitute 'long enough' to get unmoderated, the question was left unanswered. But after playing for nearly three months straight and not being removed from permanent moderation, I gave up, as I left again due to...

2) ... Hobbit Presents. Simply the worst idea I have ever seen added to LOTRO, and it is an offensive affront to Tolkien's work. If they have just been daily random gifts, as Rift gives out, without the gambling and slot-machine interface, I would have been okay with the Presents, but alas.

3) Rick Heaton has outright lied about me and my website, made every effort to paint a joke I made some time ago on said website about Turbine into a "Troll" of the LOTRO Community, in an effort to discredit the valid points I raised in said joke article. A small thing, but it shows his lack of character. As does...

4) ... Mr. Heaton and his team's heavy-handed "moderation" of the official forums. While not directly affecting me, I am offended by how other members of the community are treated by Heaton and his crew. Blind obedience and dutiful silence regarding problems with the game is not what a CM team should expect from a playerbase, and yet a player doing anything but this will find themselves quickly in hot water on the official forums. It is sickening, as someone who has Community Management experience, to see my fellow players treated this way.

5) Turbine placing all of our personal information at risk for months a couple of years ago, when they left a back door into the LOTRO Forums wide open for anyone to use. It wasn't until a white-hat hacker went public with the back door information that Turbine did anything about it, even though said white-hat had come to Turbine regarding the security issue multiple times in the months leading up to the public disclosure. Turbine then tried to discredit the white-hat because he went public, rather than thank them for finding the problem and reporting it to them multiple times.

6) Turbine leaving the old forum login method unsecured for several months, despite being told of the issue many, many times by players. Since this exposed our game login information to anyone potentially sniffing for packets, it placed our accounts at great risk... something that didn't really seem to concern Turbine in the slightest.

I'm sure I could come up with more items to list, but I can't think of them right now.

Yeah, i remember a year or two ago when i wanted to take that fucker to task, most just sat back and let it roll. Yeah, i remember who all of you were at the time too. Now as of late it's all about little fuckin' ricky, well for the most part anyway. Now everyones got something to say. Too late. When it mattered, way too many sat back, said nothing, and let that monster grow. I remember who was silent. I remember those who even tried to chastize me for wanting to go after his ass full tilt boogie kill mode. Oh yeah, i do remember well.

Now your all believers, but it's way too late now gang. Enjoy your monster, you helped to create it by apathy. Too late to cry about it now, yah done screwed the pooch.

RH so very kindly handed me a well-deserved instant ban from the forum for having the utter temerity to say in a thread that:

1. I had not played lotro that much due to the wildmore release being lacklustre;

2. That SWTOR had a better storyline and group content whilst levelling;

3. That WoW had better end-game - raids etc

Of couse being given such a ban prevented me from thanking him for his carefully considered justice that reflected his depth of wisdom & compassion.......

This thread is a great idea. If it means that Sapience will no longer dominate all the other threads. ;-)

Oh yes, please quite all the sapience bashing here where we can safely ignore it. You are giving this guy and his control of a very tiny portion of internet way too much importance.

4) ... Mr. Heaton and his team's heavy-handed "moderation" of the official forums. While not directly affecting me, I am offended by how other members of the community are treated by Heaton and his crew. Blind obedience and dutiful silence regarding problems with the game is not what a CM team should expect from a playerbase, and yet a player doing anything but this will find themselves quickly in hot water on the official forums. It is sickening, as someone who has Community Management experience, to see my fellow players treated this way.

This. Apart from that, not a great deal to me personally. Infact if anything he seems to have given a bit more slack of late, he still hands out infractions left and right for having a go at him, but for having a go at the brown-nosers, not so much. My animosity towards him of late isn't nearly what it used to be. I know I haven't been infracted lately for things that got me infractions 2 years ago. If he's willing to give a bit, it seems fair to do the same.

I might feel differently towards him if what has happened to some people here had happened to me, but it seems he's become the easy target for everything that Turbine does. It's not him who fucked the game up and turned into farmville. He's the dog at the gate, paid to bark at intruders. He's a pantomime villain and I enjoy throwing tomatoes at him as much as everyone else, but all this lets send in the marines shit like he's Bin Laden, and personal hatred, I just don't get. 

He's a shite community manager ( although anyone would be hard pushed to put on a good front with the festering turd that Lotro now is ), and it's quite possible he's been told by those in charge to shutdown any dissent on the boards or take a long walk. He's certainly not the one who ruined the game. The good ship Lotro's been steaming to shitsville for too long, even replacing him with the greatest CM in the world isn't going to change that now, nor would it have change its course back when it wasn't too late.

Done to me personally?  Nothing I can't handle.  Sapience infracted me a few times back when GW2 was about to launch and they didn't have a rule in place (then) about discussing other MMO's in the "Off-topic" forum.  That has since been quietly corrected.  Whoop-de-doo.  

So, yeah, I can't contribute much to this latest "Sapience/Turbine is evil" discussion.  As I've said before, he's been friendly and helpful to me when I was dealing with a stalky ex-kinmate.  Like Acidreign, I don't forget.  ;)

I think Brokk and Grumpy have the right of it here.  There really is nothing we can do for LOTRO at this point.  It's time to move on.

:Y

Well, he was/is trolling (with any means possible to him) some of my friends or just in general members of the community. That is unprofessional. Indeed, 5 years in the industry. Time to leave. Maybe he should consider working for Ryanair or similar company (if you understand what I mean ;))

RH so very kindly handed me a well-deserved instant ban from the forum for having the utter temerity to say in a thread that:

1. I had not played lotro that much due to the wildmore release being lacklustre;

2. That SWTOR had a better storyline and group content whilst levelling;

3. That WoW had better end-game - raids etc

Of couse being given such a ban prevented me from thanking him for his carefully considered justice that reflected his depth of wisdom & compassion.......

What! :(

Can I ask if you are BangoTwinkletoes? And if so how long the ban was for?

Grrrr...

Edit: Personally I haven't had terrible relations with Sapience at all... He has even shown a sense of humor in my personal dealings with him.

He did give me some infractions for a thread that I knew would cause trouble. I posted a thread calling for a "sit in protest" and I knew it wouldn't be well received by Turbine so I look at the infractions as a "shot across the bow" warning. Problem for me is I don't want a forum ban and I now have so many infraction points that any "little thing" will get me long term bans.

The issues raised by MMO Troll are very disturbing though.

Trying to hide that their forum was broken in and passwords were exposed.

Banning me from the official forum for asking about the license expansion.

Infringing and threatening me when I pointed out that "advantage not convenience" items have been in f2p from day one (the Überpotions). In their defense at the time the player community was in lalala icanthearyou mode so there wasn't enough focus and it went downhill from there.

Gambling for real-world money in-game with no age check.

Nothing to me personally.  Just general stuff.  One thing I haven't seen mentioned was the "signature images" he said he "fought for even though people told him not to allow it".  

Then he conveniently changed the old outdated signature links to the bright pink "vote for Sapience" slogan before the voting for best community manager.  That made the whole "I'm on the front lines here, standing up for your freedom to express yourselves via signature images" less believable.  I'd give that a Wilfred.

OK, I'll bite, tho even I am growing tired of him as a topic and after having a ball with the madness on the forums on release day (which I thoroughly enjoyed), it is time for me to move on to greener Rift pastures!  (fingers crossed for ESO and EQ beta invites).  A few that come to mind, in no particular order:

- the "vote for Sapience" signature issue this summer and the nonsense defenses that followed, which was what put me over the edge into being completely unhappy with the game, after having been slowly winding down to that point since early 2013 for many other (non-Sapience) reasons

- the perma-ban slapped on Fredelas

- his then mentioning Fredelas in the recent post "blaming" him as the source of the increased cost of mithril coin travel, implying people could "contact" Fredelas in-game if they were unhappy about it,  and then the tone of the subsequent "sorry for telling the truth" post

- the "you do realize..." response he gave some guy in forums who was asking about travel rations, and giving not only a snotty response to an individual but incorrect information along with it, and not issuing any apology or correction

- all in all, the frequent violations of community guidelines himself, and often overlooking when others violate them as long as they are pro-Turbine

- and to be fair, as I posted elsewhere on these forums, he did make a post yesterday telling both sides in a contentious thread that name-calling isn't OK, whether you are pro-skill trees complaining about the whiners who hate them, or anti-skill trees complaining about the fanbois and cheerleaders, etc.  In no way does that make up for countless other posts over years, but at the very least it shows me that see, he IS capable of responding properly.  The fact that he generally chooses not to, and I believe intentionally posts in manners meant to flame and goad people (it is his professional background, and he's good at it), makes me believe he'll never change.  But I still wanted to point out that instance of a proper response as evidence it can be done.  He CAN do it, he just won't.

*brushes dust off hands*  There, nice thread to bury him, and LOTRO in general, as topics of interest for me no more.  Back to the Rift forums!

1. Perma-banned my forum account for criticising Turbine and LotRO.

2. Insulted me by labelling my opinions as 'trolling'.

3. Insulted me by implying me and other members of this site are 'trolls, liars and bullies'.

4. Destroyed the game I loved through greed and incompetence.

5. Temp-banned my in-game account for having siblings.

6. Has outwardly displayed contempt for me and others who play(ed) their game.

7. Constantly lied to or decieved me and the playerbase.

8. Has just generally acted like a dick.

All of the above can pretty much be applied to either Turbine or Sapstic.

Rick had the nerve to get all angry and locking my thread when I asked if there was any news about the licence renewal and he said that it had been answered many times before and locked my thread. No it hasn't. Saying they plan to support it for years to come. Coming from the people who said that had no plans to ditch Codies or go FTP I call bull. How dare you expect me to shell out £40 to get an expansion that might not last the year. I have plans to buy a million Turbine Points, please put them in my account before I paid because surely just me saying I have plans to is more than good enough right?

What! :(

Can I ask if you are BangoTwinkletoes? And if so how long the ban was for?

Grrrr...

Edit: Personally I haven't had terrible relations with Sapience at all... He has even shown a sense of humor in my personal dealings with him.

He did give me some infractions for a thread that I knew would cause trouble. I posted a thread calling for a "sit in protest" and I knew it wouldn't be well received by Turbine so I look at the infractions as a "shot across the bow" warning. Problem for me is I don't want a forum ban and I now have so many infraction points that any "little thing" will get me long term bans.

The issues raised by MMO Troll are very disturbing though.

Yes I am BangoTwinkletoes on the other forum :)

I do try my best to bait (sometimes too subtly) the fanbois by applying common-sense and refusal to be a cheerleader for Sap.

The ban lasted a month at the most - only because of the cut over to the new forum and because RH was either overwhelmed with all the work or just could not be arsed to re-invoke all the bans.

There's a thread covering my ban that includes the comms I had with customer support on the matter. Like many others here, before that point I really did not believe the concerns about RH and his methods when we moved over from Codemasters; they ran a far more benign regime. However for slapping that ban on me and being fucking rude to boot I've now seen the light.

I was called a "troll" and a "liar" by Sapience for posting something that I knew to be true. I was aware of their plans to release a new PvP zone with Moria, but the plans were scrapped right before Moria went into beta. I got the information from a then tester on Palantir, and to this day said tester is one of Sapience's fanbois, so I am pretty sure he wasn't making it up. Additionally, several years later it came out that they were actually working on the idea, but it never panned out, so it was definitely true.

When I posted it on the forums after the Moria NDA was lifted, said thread was closed, and that's when Sapience called me a "troll" and a "liar". He didn't say I was trolling or lying, he called me a "troll" and a "liar" directly. I took a screenshot of it, but can't seem to find it. Will have to do some digging around to see if I can locate it. I had planned, at the time, to write a letter to Turbine regarding the matter, but never followed through on it, unforunately.

The interesting part is, prior to this I was what some would consider a "fanboy" myself as I would often defend LOTRO on the forums. However, since being treated like this by Sapience, I've never been a fan of the game other than just playing it. 

I will often still defend the Dev's though...if they deserve it.

The funny part is, my most recent infraction, which resulted in a one day ban (which I think he screwed up and intended to give me a one year ban), was pretty much for the same reason. He again called me a troll and a liar, and again I knew the facts of the post that I made to be true. But, the post I made was deleted as was the post that would have backed up my facts, so there would be no way for me to prove my innocence.

Must be nice to be able to delete the "evidence". 

Oh, and with my latest infraction, he also said that I was "calling out" Turbine staff and other players when I didn't even mention Turbine, anyone at Turbine specifically or generally or any players specifically or generally either in my post. I made sure my post was VERY generic so as to avoid this, but apparently he still felt I should be infracted for it anyway.

Yes I am BangoTwinkletoes on the other forum :)

I do try my best to bait (sometimes too subtly) the fanbois by applying common-sense and refusal to be a cheerleader for Sap.

The ban lasted a month at the most - only because of the cut over to the new forum and because RH was either overwhelmed with all the work or just could not be arsed to re-invoke all the bans.

There's a thread covering my ban that includes the comms I had with customer support on the matter. Like many others here, before that point I really did not believe the concerns about RH and his methods when we moved over from Codemasters; they ran a far more benign regime. However for slapping that ban on me and being fucking rude to boot I've now seen the light.

The way I read your original post I thought you were under a ban as of now = glad to hear you are not Bango as I've read many of your posts. :)

I have to say though... this thread is depressing overall. :(

Wow! Thats all I can say to that just wow! No words can describe how incompetent that statement is.

there were several like it in BETA. :(

Yes, I took it personal since I was one of the ones trying to make sensible suggestions.  Granted, not even remotely the same as a perma-ban, but insulting nonetheless

408160717.jpg

So, they don't care that people don't like it. They are pursing their own design goals regardless of customer satisfaction in them and will continue to ignore customer feedback unless it is in line with said design goals. At no point are they even prepared to entertain the thought that there is anything wrong with what they are doing, so everyone should stop taking about it, because THEY SAID SO.

The only rational response from a customer at that point is:

"No. I will not 'going forward shape all feedback about improving the trait trees.' I will instead find something else to do with my time, because of how unnecessary you consider my satisfaction to be. As you are so utterly disinterested in catering to my needs I will find something else to do with my time."

Neither has done anything to me, personally. Sure, I've been infracted, a lot!!, but I probably deserved every one, I am a forums troll in the best traditions of trolldom, after all. But I rarely post in the general forums so I fly under the radar.

I've received 2 ingame bans, one over turned after the fact, I was compensated with TP.

Now, impersonally they have ruined a game and a forum that I much loved, but it hurts them much more than it hurts me. I won't be looking for a new job in the near future. I can't say that for anyone at turbine.