LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
The MMO Troll

Boast your Build!

This is a thread in which you can boast about your favorite build. Why is it awesome? What is it useful for? How much DPS can it put out? All that crap.

My current favorite build is for Cleric: "Death Machine", a Shaman/Justicar/Defiler combo that is meant for single-target DPS. Best used for solo questing, Rifts, Instant Adventures, and other times when you can't really count on someone else healing you. It is 61 points Shaman, 10 points Justicar, and 5 points in Defiler.

Why is it awesome? 10,000 to 12,000 DPS against level 60 normal mobs, up to 18,000 on crits, with almost no chance of dying. The built-in healing takes care of almost incoming damage, unless you end up fighting three or more mobs at the same time. It is not good for AoE fights.

You can find it here on Rifthead.

Harb/Pyro/Archon

http://www.rifthead.com/stc/zcNdzxccczkcksMvltMubdRxdbMGo

Just a DPS questing build I came up with. I use Eldridge Armor for range to get no induction procs on Pillaging Stone and Fireball. When in melee I switch to Pyromancer's Armour for the no induction/reset procs to Cinder Burst.

Harb/Chloro/Lock

http://www.rifthead.com/stc/zcRdltdcuoAso0kvqtgubdMx0d0Go

Good for soloing rifts and quests that usually require 2 or 3 people.

There is a really cool Rogue build that combines healing on kills with Riftstalker skills to jump to mobs. High DPS and high survivability. Good leveling build. Haven't played in a while so would have to find the Rift threads on it - but will be in the Rogue forums.

There is a really cool Rogue build that combines healing on kills with Riftstalker skills to jump to mobs. High DPS and high survivability. Good leveling build. Haven't played in a while so would have to find the Rift threads on it - but will be in the Rogue forums.

That's generally what I've always played as a Rogue in Rift. Assassin/Rift Stalker/Blade Dancer.

Level 60 warrior main... I have multiple roles, but my favorite solo/duo build is a warlord/tempest/(x) hybrid: http://www.rifthead.com/stc/zzkgBxcvxAkx0buzIRvlhVMo0z0hdMk I had to tweak my built a bit because 2.5 unfortunately nerfed my favorite hybrid synergy: world 60 synergy crystal that gives 120 STR (WL) + Recovery Posture (WL) + Battle Surge (WL) + Seasoned (WL) + Lightning Torrent (Tempest) = heal 400 per second over 6 seconds and deal a good chunk of damage and regenerate nearly all my power. WL's block-without-a-shield ups survivability well without lowering DPS overmuch. They lowered Lightning Torrent's channel from 6 seconds to 3, unfortunately, and I found I was running low on power in some situations. Ah well. Champ regen it is. My hybrid build lets me easily solo some 5-man world content like the Achyati crater daily and the new Hammerknell 2-man chronicle dungeon with currently non-maxed world gear, no dungeon or raid gear. ...I enjoy soul-testing, though. Respecced almost 10 times after 2.5 to find my sweet spot, which Trion had moved after major warrior changes. Love that they let us experiment all the hell we want. :)

I'm currently playing a Nightblade/Tactician/iftstalker build an dlocing it, it's kind of a half way between DPS and Tank, it's not uber damage and it's not full on tank but i can generally take on four or five equal level mobs at once without losing more than 20% health and AOE them down pretty quick, it's pretty monster AOE with two "bubbles" (damage absorb buffs) for bad fights and DPS or Tanks toggle buffs.

http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree/betaStorm2012#wkkGaF9iky/Tf/tr555i

Oh and another great thing about it is i find the ranged damage is just as good as the melee damage and if you macro it properly you don't have to choose it does it for you.

My warrior at the moment is working his way through this build (he's 38 at the moment)

http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#7k6ll4E10/8gFl2EiAB8/3

Which i guess is a DPS/Tank Hybrid of some sorts.

This is a thread in which you can boast about your favorite build. Why is it awesome? What is it useful for? How much DPS can it put out? All that crap.

My current favorite build is for Cleric: "Death Machine", a Shaman/Justicar/Defiler combo that is meant for single-target DPS. Best used for solo questing, Rifts, Instant Adventures, and other times when you can't really count on someone else healing you. It is 61 points Shaman, 10 points Justicar, and 5 points in Defiler.

Why is it awesome? 10,000 to 12,000 DPS against level 60 normal mobs, up to 18,000 on crits, with almost no chance of dying. The built-in healing takes care of almost incoming damage, unless you end up fighting three or more mobs at the same time. It is not good for AoE fights.

You can find it here on Rifthead.

Thanks for this build, Troll. I'm back to playing and enjoying my Cleric after 2+ years.

I tried the macro, but I can never seem to get them to work, plus, I'd rather just hit the skills, seems more like I'm actually playing the character instead of just sitting back and watching.

Macros are for mashing, but I only use macros to switch role+gear sets to save time. I'm one of those who prefers organizing the skillbar and using them individually; I think it's a mentality more common among utility-class players, honestly, because of specialty timed/ohshit abilities.

Given all the changes in 3.0 and some really major ones (like warrior Reaver switched from tank to DPS role), I'm going to have to review all my classes again. At some point. I still haven't found a snap-tank build that I particularly love, though.

Macros dont work by just clicking once and then all the skills fire off, you need to keep pressing the button. It is useful for getting a good rotation.

You can find some more good guides here.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Seatinmanoflegends/videos

Ah, that's what I was missing! After using the macros I find them great for rifts and invasions, but I agree with Trilwych, I'd rather just play my toon without using macros.

I like to macro. I think Rift has a skill bloat.

There's not much to macro in some specs, for example the ranger.

But for example my assassin / bladedancer hybrid would be not fun without macros. It has 2 instant damage skills that I have to use when available, which is mostly every 5-8 seconds. Plus there are 4 short buffs on 30-60 second cooldown that I want to keep up full time. 1 of them auto-renews, but the other 3 I have to click. None of these abilities add anything strategic or fun, they are just clicks I have to make every X seconds. So that's a pretty easy decision to macro.

Then there's transition between melee and range. Macroing a ranged skill after melee skills is especially a game changer in PVP. I attack someone in melee, he teleports out of range while I'm clicking a melee attack, I end up using a ranged attack with speed debuff on him.

Even with macros, I still end up with 16 keybinds I use constantly in the heat of combat, not counting stealth openers. When I get better, I'll probably be using well over 20, since I underuse some abilities right now. If I used no macros for all the boring "click every X seconds" abilities, I would be overwhelmed.

^I don't play pure DPS roles. As a utility player, I'm always spot/off-healing/buffing, so maintaining a strict DPS rotation is impossible. Single-target tanking is probably easily macro-ed, but I've only tanked zone events where all manner of things are running around, so I do things differently there. I'm sure the combination of role and build choices matters most in figuring out what can be macro-ed most efficiently, because some builds definitely have way more skill combos available than others.

I've only looked into bard (of support roles), that class didn't seem to have much to macro. There was one instant dps ability on a short CD that might be possible to macro with something else.

A lot of dps classes aren't very macro friendly, especially ones with complicated rotation and a lot of utility. But they can be very fun.

What I don't like are classes like retro paladin in WoW used to be. Press X buff every Y seconds, and press a lot of dps abilities on cooldown. It's very robotic. I wouldn't call it a rotation, more like whac-a-mole.

Rift has a tendency to add this whac-a-mole to a lot of souls. But macros help take it away, and then you often are left with a pretty nice clean class.

Although there are some souls where whac-a-mole is at its core, and then when you macro it, there's not much left besides a couple spam keys.

As always even when questing I use a Tank spec.  Rifthead isn't working right now for some reason.

On my Cleric I spec 59 Justicar, 11 shaman and 6 Inquisitor at level 60.  This allows me to pull tons of enemies and slowly (very slowly) whittle them down.   I take a more traditional tank spec when actually tanking dungeons/raids.   And I'm not comfortable enough to heal quite yet. 

I like to macro. I think Rift has a skill bloat.

Yeah I agree which is why most of the skills from my off spec trees never get slotted. 

Oh, I never slot every skill from my builds. Trying to slot every skill isn't a good reason alone to use a macro though, because there's a lot of redundancy due to the way Trion designed the tiered gating system in souls that allow more customization in the first place. There are certain things that I'd want to macro, like maintaining bleed/heal stacks, but I generally don't like those types of "maintenance" playstyles anyway; I remember starting out on Beastmaster but had to switch because I just wasn't getting the hang of maintaining a bleed rotation. :P I'm sure it could've been reduced to 2-3 macros, but then that would be boring too.

Probably a stupid question, but is a 2-handed staff considered a melee weapon? I'm looking at the Adventure vendor in Tempest Bay and there are no 2-handed maces/hammers and with Troll's Cleric build relying on melee weapons I was hoping I wouldn't have to resort to a 1-hander and shield or totem.

Does anyone know of some addon that helps to manage buffs and debuffs? I have a problem when I try to play as bard, my debuffs often get overriden but I end up wasting time and combo points until I figure it out. I'm also not sure when people are benefiting from some of my buffs because some other classes / souls have similar buffs. I especially have this issue in nightmare rifts with multiple raids, there are usually multiple other debuffers in my raid or other raids, and my debuffs on the boss often go away.

Have you tried Gadgets: Buffs, you can read more about it here

http://forums.riftgame.com/technical-discussions/addons-macros-ui/328456-addon-gadgets-buffs.html

Sounds like it could be what you are looking for

Or you could try karuulalert, which I often see mentioned in people Youtube class guides

http://www.curse.com/addons/rift/karuulalert

• Upvote 1