LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
PJ.

Could somone from Turbine come here?

Be great to have a question and answer session without fear or being banned either on their forum or ingame. Now, obviously I wouldn't want any rudeness to them and would expect that to be deleted but for me it would be the only way to have a genuine debate about the game that most of us either love or care about or both without Sap the Censorer.

PJ

Unlikely, as they would cop a rather large amount of abuse from some people here.

Not necessarily true. I for one feel completely free to say what a crappy job they do on a lot of things - but would not give any abuse to any staff who came here.

What they would get are some serious questions, and questions about things they spin and may be untrue, and questions about real game problems (like the loot system). I don't think they want these questions.

Why they would not come here:

1) they don't want hard questions about they game. They want fluff and positive spin. They want to control any discussion.

2) their careful, exploitative marketing strategy has no room in it for real dialogue with players. The truth is not a friend to this company.

3) Sapience hates this site with a passion. He turns red and then green if someone talks to him about this place - so he would not allow it.

Why would they come here? For them there's nothing wrong with the game.

If if they did, could they say here?

I bet their contracts have a clause about who they do or do not talk to.

Criticizing your employer's product on random internet forums is rarely a recommended move :)

Since they probably don't have anything good to say either it's probably a moot point.

You'll never see a Q&A that can't be "run" by Turbine. Anything they do anymore is very controlled.

What's really odd is that in the beginning, Turbine was very forthcoming with information. Devs would talk to players all the time, they would have actual Q&A sessions and questions about the game itself weren't hit with 1000 posts by flag-toting fanbois and their snarky CM "leader". However, somewhere along the line, Turbine broke too many promises and turned a lot of players away from the game.

And there are people that wonder why long-time players pine for "the good old days".

P.S. I'd love to get a hold of Patience and find out why she really quit.

1) they don't want hard questions about they game. They want fluff and positive spin. They want to control any discussion.

Every company will try to spin things positively. Singling out Turbine/WB in this respect is just naive.

I don't have a problem with the spin. I do have a problem with people who swallow it wholesale.

It depends how often the spin comes close to lying, and how often a company misleads it players. For many game companies, players actually have a good sense of what is coming, as opposed to just getting carefully crafted small pieces of information and then being disappointed over and over again. I would not consider Turbine to be "average" - they are worse than a lot of companies - but sure there are other bad companies out there. There are more open and honest ones out there too.

By the way, can anyone tell me how much fun it has been fighting those 30,000 orcs Turbine kept talking about? 30,000 mobs is pretty cool. Oh wait, it wasn't true.

P.S. I'd love to get a hold of Patience and find out why she really quit.

If memory serves, she left on good terms to move cross-country for family reasons.

Don't expect it ever.  Just as other have eluded to above, controlled situations are easier to well.....control.  Why do you think they pick 20 questions to ask their team?  Because they can pick them.  It's also a way to keep players on point, for the points they want to address. 

Someone else mentioned above how other game companies have no problem giving away large content details before release.  They do this to get real player feedback before making major decisions.  When I played WOW I knew the content being released months before a release. 

A company who reminds me a lot of Turbine is EA.  The last couple of Madden games were disasters.   Many of the longtime features were removed.  Their response when being called out on it was we have this new feature which is kind of like the old feature.  But when players played it, it was much much different. 

It's easier to treat players like mushrooms rather than giving them information if your product is inferior to other competitors on the market.  BTW how's that MOBA doing?  DDO?  To me it's time for one of three paths for turbine:

1.  Continue this mushroom treatment and go for money grabs

2.  Continue to keep us in the dark and feed us shit and try one last ditch attempt to gain new (unaware players)

3.  Or be honest with the community, get feedback from them and put some development into these new once a year xpacs.

I'm guessing 1, 2 or both.

It really doesn't matter.

The time for talk is long past.

I keep thinking about Fernado's speech at the gaming convention.

It really is all you need to know - in large part, because in addition to talking about a particular path it is the one they are acting on.

I think we're all living in denial.

It depends how often the spin comes close to lying, and how often a company misleads it players. For many game companies, players actually have a good sense of what is coming, as opposed to just getting carefully crafted small pieces of information and then being disappointed over and over again. I would not consider Turbine to be "average" - they are worse than a lot of companies - but sure there are other bad companies out there. There are more open and honest ones out there too.

By the way, can anyone tell me how much fun it has been fighting those 30,000 orcs Turbine kept talking about? 30,000 mobs is pretty cool. Oh wait, it wasn't true.

again, that's a pretty naive way of looking at it. Positive spin often means lying.

My company just went through some massive layouts. A week later, they were telling everyone how well business is and how profits are up over last year. blah blah blah...

In a perfect world, no one would lie. We don't live in a perfect world (and, BTW, I'm not defending Turbine. They should, at this point, come out and state clearly that their strategy is to appease their "average" player - the ones who don't really raid, who like to faceroll through content, etc, all so they can be yet another hobbit burglar in Middle Earth).

My understanding is that they are, in fact, here.  Just not posting.

:)

Oh, I believe that at least one Turbine employee has been posting here.  I'm just wondering when he'll fess up.

@talisman I can agree with you in general - just don't see Turbine as an admirable company or very good with their communication (read as they are horrible at it and have absolutely no morals).

I have zero hope for this game. Lotro is over. Maybe if Infinite Crisis fails bad they might look at putting some money back into Lotro, but I doubt it.

Oh, I believe that at least one Turbine employee has been posting here.  I'm just wondering when he'll fess up.

Yes, I believe we've had more than one sockpuppet posting on lotrocommunity, at least over the time since I first started lurking here. I wouldn't be surprised if The Mouth of Turbine has posted more than a few times in the guise of a vacuous fan boi. But he'd prefer to troll his own censored forums where he reigns with absolute power. 

If memory serves, she left on good terms to move cross-country for family reasons.

Yes, but she also quit shortly after (or before, can't remember) the F2P announcement, so I am guessing there was more to it.

again, that's a pretty naive way of looking at it. Positive spin often means lying.

My company just went through some massive layouts. A week later, they were telling everyone how well business is and how profits are up over last year. blah blah blah...

Your company may not be lying about that.  Employees cost the company money.  Getting rid of some of them probably did increase revenue, if not lead to higher profits than the previous year.

For the record, it isn't me.

BTW, sales of Helm's Deep have broken all of Turbine's previous sales records and a recent poll sent to all active players in good standing indicates that the trait tree changes have met with 95.4% approval rating.   Also, the evidence indicates that all people opposed to the recent round of changes are suffering from a mental illness brought about by eating babies.

Haha that immediately brought another game to mind

Bandit:

"I'm Hungry! I want to eat your babies!"

Zed:

"Hold still son, this might sting just a little bit..."