LOTROCommunity
Elderban

LotRO begins selling instant level 50 characters

The "Gift of the Valar", the item that Turbine tested during beta to much uproar, is now available in the store.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/12/12/lotro-begins-selling-instant-level-50-characters/

and

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?534791-Become-Legendary-Gift-of-the-Valar-For-a-limited-time-Dec-13th-%E2%80%93-19th

They're really pulling out all stops, aren't they?

Guess they're trying to reach some end-of-year numbers which they haven't reached yet?

So you can pay $45 for 1 level 50 character? That's a lot with leveling so fast now.

Also, all these perks are worthless - since the game is easy-mode and gold comes so easily:

• A set of level 50 gear
  • 1 Gold piece
  • An LIXP rune, worth enough XP to bring one LI to level 10
  • The Riding skill
  • A 25-stack of food that scales with your level
  • A 25-stack of Morale and Power potions that scale with your level
  • 5 +100% XP Boosts
  • A single-use map to Rivendell

Worth something, I guess:

• 4 ranks of each virtue
  • A Dusky Nimblefoot Goat
  • 25 Mithril Coins

$45 bucks is a lot for one character in an MMO! I guess they are chasing after people with money to burn.

They can make potions that scale but they can't unsleep the dragon in an old raid.

What's the real world value of 25 mithril coins again?

I dont really have any real problems with this being in the store, as it is a pure convenience item that the store should be selling. For me it is to pricey and I dont know why people want to pay to not play the game, I just wish it had some sort of barrier like needing to have one max level character before you could buy it.

What's the real world value of 25 mithril coins again?

About 8 cents per coin, so $2.00.

They can make potions that scale but they can't unsleep the dragon in an old raid.

Yeah. Can you imagine if they had made us pay for Draigoch as they initially intended to? A lot of people would have been asking for their money back.

From the people who came up with barechest cosmetic for dwarves as well as the the hobby horse and had the guts calling the ridiculous price "not a joke" comes the Gift of the valar.

Meet the ulitmate definition of "convenience and not advantage" as you can skip all the fun things lotro has left with just one wink of your credit card. Feel the excitement as you slowly realize there is nothing waiting for you once you hit level 95 other than running the same dumb instances you started running at lvl 20.

The gift of the valar, feed us your money and stfu you loremonkey.

Coming to a lotro store near you.

From the people who came up with barechest cosmetic for dwarves as well as the the hobby horse and had the guts calling the ridiculous price "not a joke" comes the Gift of the valar.

Easy now... the barechested dwarf cosmetic is probably the greatest addition to the game in the last two years.

This thing got TONS of negative comments on their FarceBook page. Its almost comical.  In no way shape or form is the criticism of Turbine and Lotro limited to these forums.

Easy now... the barechested dwarf cosmetic is probably the greatest addition to the game in the last two years.

But .. but .. I wanted barechested hobbitses D:

I love VG 24/7's comment on the Gift of the Valar...

It’s still against the terms of service to buy somebody else’s maxed-out character, but Turbine will let you jump into Lord of the Rings Online at level 50 if you’re willing to pony up.

Source: http://www.vg247.com/2013/12/12/lord-of-the-rings-offering-level-50-characters-for-sale-for-a-limited-time-only/comment-page-1

If this item was a little bit cheaper, leveled you to 85, and was gated behind having one character already at 85 - I'd be quite tempted.  Granted, that's also assuming there's content at 85+ that is intriguing to me, but that's besides the point.

Picture a time when there was actual raiding going on, and you wanted to get an alt raid capable quickly, I could see this as a nice option.  But that time has come and gone.

I'm actually a fan of the idea, but shockingly enough the implementation falls a little short.

• Upvote 1

Sadly, I really think we are seeing the end of LOTRO here. :(

I am guessing we will see very little development in 2014.

And I seriously doubt we'll see a Producer's Letter.

Hobbits are much to proper to run around all bare-chested, think of what the ladies would say? And I honestly don't remember any descriptions of it in the books. People were always fully clothed in the books, even when bathing. ;)

If this item was a little bit cheaper, leveled you to 85, and was gated behind having one character already at 85 - I'd be quite tempted.  Granted, that's also assuming there's content at 85+ that is intriguing to me, but that's besides the point.

Picture a time when there was actual raiding going on, and you wanted to get an alt raid capable quickly, I could see this as a nice option.  But that time has come and gone.

I'm actually a fan of the idea, but shockingly enough the implementation falls a little short.

Why do that, then they skip you past some of the arduous LI leveling fun that the game has....

My first thought upon seeing the advertisement image that was chosen to promote this item: it looks like a trashy tabloid advert for American Idol.

http://content.turbine.com/sites/edm/lotro/store/landing_page/20131213vr_en.png

My second thought: at this point, this is sadly unsurprising. The fact that Turbine is going for this soapy tabloid pop vibe in marketing the said item (nothing Tolkien or fantasy-related here visually, the pic could've just as easily been pulled out of grocery store checkout aisle mags) pretty much speaks for itself regarding the desperation. Which could only mean that things are really that bad on the profit/financial front. 

Sadly, I really think we are seeing the end of LOTRO here. :(

I am guessing we will see very little development in 2014.

And I seriously doubt we'll see a Producer's Letter.

Reluctantly I tend to agree. Despite my frustrating beta experience and dissatisfaction with trait trees, I still find a lot to enjoy in Lotro and would very much like it to last. But the realist in me has to take off the wishful-thinking-glasses and admit that the ship is sinking. The above-mentioned marketing desperation points to that.

I'd be very very surprised to see a new Producer's Letter. After promising a rosy future full of "major" housing revisions (which won't be arriving this year no matter how "minor" they actually turn out to be), the only thing left for Paiz/Turbine to do is to bury their heads in sand and go into extended silence mode. The cat is out of the bag, the king is naked, etc. Nobody would buy their hype, in the wake of how the year turned out, and they know they won't be able to persuasively replicate the same rosy rainbow forecast in their open communication literature, so production of said literature is to be halted. Needless to say, without persuasive future forecasts, the player population will continue to dwindle and the domino effect continues unhindered.

It's sad, really. Just a few years ago, back when SoM was coming out, there was a huge uproar because players couldn't wait to get to Rohan, especially to fight at Helm's Deep, and were concerned that Turbine was taking us in the wrong direction. Now, just about four years later, and Helm's Deep arrives... not to the sound of thunderous applause, but to minor applause, more consternation, and overall a sense of disappointment.

For me, levelling to 50 through Bree the Lone-lands, Trollshaws, Forochel etc was more enjoyable than the journey after that. I would happily level a character to 50 then get a boost to 80.

For me, levelling to 50 through Bree the Lone-lands, Trollshaws, Forochel etc was more enjoyable than the journey after that. I would happily level a character to 50 then get a boost to 80.

For me it was leveling from 1 to 60 through the SoA regions and into Moria, the rest was just meh to me and i couldn't wait to get through it.

Well, I'm really considering buying it together with the no-xp-thingy so I have a char on lvl 50 forever to do the SoA endgame content on-lvl :)

I've got a huge amount of TP on my 2nd LT account that I don't use anymore, so it's perfect for that one :)

I've got no problem with this item. I know I might be in the minority here but I hate the pre-level 50 content. The quest structures to me are incredibly annoying. I don't enjoy having to go to the same camp/place 3+ times one after another, riding back and forth across the landscape to turn in a few quests only to be told I've got to go back there yet again. I don't enjoy constantly having to traipse to Rivendell over and over and over to talk to Elrond.

I especially hate the quest chains in the Trollshaws and Misty Mountains. Whenever I get to about level 43ish and can go to Eregion I always breathe a sigh of relief that from here on, the quest chains are not as erratic and illogical. 

I actually think Turbine need to overhaul the pre-level 50 content to remove the repeated journeys to the same camp over and over as I think they probably lose thousands of players through player frustration and incredulity at the stupidity of it. 

As for the story, I think it is shockingly bad throughout all the game. I especially think all the Mor sounding names are too alike and are confusing. And don't get me start on the stupidity of the rangers and how long it took for us to realise that SHOCK! Sara Oakhart. is a baddie. I think too many people view the Shadows of Angmar content with rose tinted spectacles.