LOTROCommunity

Your 2014 LOTRO Predictions?

Elderban

Hmm. Let's see if this really works the way you think it does. Maybe if I make it really big, it will come true!

VIPs will receive a 10 Mithril Coin allowance every month, in addition to the 500 Turbine Points they already receive monthly.

Edit: This could actually be implemented so it doesn't accrue over time. VIP players could do a quest with a 30-day cooldown in Thorin's Hall that rewards 10 Mithril Coins. (Or it could just be a remotely bestowed quest.) That way, Turbine isn't rewarding subscribers (including lifetimers) who don't bother to log in at least once a month.

VIP status shouldn't be attached to your login status frequency. That's not what a subscription would depend on, and the lifetime and sub status should be getting equal treatment. The reward isn't for logging in, it's for being VIP due to giving them money either on a monthly basis, or a wad of cash early on. I don't want to be blunt here, but if Turbine finds it awkward to honor their lifetime agreements, they never should have made them in the first place: as it is they took the money so are legally bound to honor those terms. Mithril coins, if they decide to give them to people who are VIP and also log in monthly is actually treating people differently even though they pay the same fee. It won't fly legally. Or with the customer base they still have left. "Give us money, but don't hold us to any benefit for it that is based on that fee." Not likely.

2014 predictions...

The only safe prediction is that LotRO will increase its irrelevance in the fantasy MMO genre. You can take that to the LotRO Store, erm, I mean bank.

Better to take it to the LOTRO Store, because once Turbine has reworked the in-game Banking system, it will cost you 10 Mithril Coins just to visit said bank.

• 2 weeks later...

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/12/28/the-road-to-mordor-lord-of-the-ring-onlines-roadmap-for-2014/#continued

Justin Olivetti pulling no punches over at Massively.  I have newfound respect for him.

Rips into the Player Council, questions the tone of Kate's letter, and much more.  The best for me was this:

"We've heard a lot of you suggest we take a break from the annual expansion cycle, and we agree!"

Um... who said this? No, really, who? I've never heard someone ask for the team to pause with its expansion pace. My friends are just as bewildered about this statement as I am. I mean, listen, it's your decision and that's fine, but don't start with the "a lot of you asked for this" when there's scant evidence to back that up. It's just such a weird thing to say. "No, please, stop making content-packed expansions! I beg of you!"

Preach it, Brother!

LOL!  Here's another gem:

"We think it's time to take a new look at inventory in LotRO and see where we can make improvements."

I wouldn't have put this as a big issue. I'd love a new look at loot in LotRO instead to make it actually interesting instead of varying degrees of vendor trash that keep filling up my bags.

More likely they'll discover they've been too generous with space and reduce the amount of slots purchased by half, letting them monetize storage even more. That's how they think lately, how much can we get from something we put in the store.

Yup. Take what we have and then sell it back to us. Relic Removal, Destiny Points, Traits (having just enough points to trait almost as you used to at level 85 requires HD), Epics.

Yup. Take what we have and then sell it back to us. Relic Removal, Destiny Points, Traits (having just enough points to trait almost as you used to at level 85 requires HD), Epics.

Well I think at worst they will cut it for new characters that you create after the change.

But it shouldn't be a big deal that they "create the technology" for having more storage. The engine shouldn't be so screwed up that allowing people to have more bags or chests is a big deal.

Well I think at worst they will cut it for new characters that you create after the change.

But it shouldn't be a big deal that they "create the technology" for having more storage. The engine shouldn't be so screwed up that allowing people to have more bags or chests is a big deal.

It shouldn't be a big deal. Then again... Turbine.

On the topic of that Massively blog, the guy is just too naïve, regardless of how much he seems to be throwing punches.

'So what I'm wondering is whether quarterly expansions will amount to four single-zone releases, a la the Great River or Wildermore.'

Turbine didn't state 4 zones a year. They just said content updates. That also means books, scaled old content, skirmishes, big battles and dailies. I highly doubt they will manage to push out 4 zones. In fact, I'm 100% certain they won't. What they'll do is what they've done every year but less. They'll make 1 zone and, instead of an expansion, they'll make 1 more zone.

2 zones will be given this year if you're lucky. 4 is just a joke.

Justin definitely writes like someone who does not play much. He certainly has views that don't make sense or go against what most players think. So he is loving BB - how much is he actually playing? How many times has he done them?

--------------------------------------------

LOTRO needed more more bag space for about 5 years. Something must have been coded so they could not offer as much space as every other MMO offers. They added 1 bag and the wallet and shared storage - but never let characters carry large enough bags. This is one of the main flaws in the game, when you add in all the crafting materials, coins, etc. They made a game needing big bags and then could not give us big bags. Playing Lotro for most people = spending hours shuffling inventory = not fun.

We dont need more bag space, we need less crap dropping from mobs. Do we really need so many types of wings or sword sheathes. Also allowing stacking to higher amounts would be nice.

Turbine claim one of the reasons for the change to trait trees and the removal of skills was to get rid of skill bloat, so now they should make changes to get rid or crap loot bloat. This would also mean less data being stored which might even help with the lag issues.

I am not a tech guy.  But even so, I think it's okay to say I don't understand how EQ2, 2 or more years older than LOTRO, can let me have up to 25 houses each with somewhere between 600 and 800 freely placed items, 40+ skills, 6 personal inventory slots, 8 shared inventory slots, and 12 vault inventory slots each that can put bags or boxes holding almost 50 items (or stacks of items) each.... and LOTRO struggles with a fraction of that.

Another thing...as an 89 paladin in EQ2, I have a very long list of quests completed.  When I flip from active or 'completed' in the quest tabs, it is seamless and instant.  In LOTRO, when I click on that completed quests box, it takes 30 seconds or more to load them and the game stops.  

I simply don't understand the vast differences and why Turbine can't come 'close' to those types of things.  There are many more differences similar to this.  What gives?

Justin definitely writes like someone who does not play much. He certainly has views that don't make sense or go against what most players think. So he is loving BB - how much is he actually playing? How many times has he done them?

I've had the same impression a few times.  At the same time, I try to allow for him simply having different tastes and being able to enjoy something I don't.

If Turbine wants to address the problem with storage, they should...

1) Reduce the cost for housing chests

2) Allow you to sell items in your inventory when you have the LOTRO Store open. This is how it works in Rift, it is like always having a vendor available wherever you go, and really reduces the storage issue to a minimum.

2) Allow you to sell items in your inventory when you have the LOTRO Store open. This is how it works in Rift, it is like always having a vendor available wherever you go, and really reduces the storage issue to a minimum.

Having been spoiled by Rift, I find myself absentmindedly opening the LOTRO Store now in a futile attempt to do exactly that!

Having been spoiled by Rift, I find myself absentmindedly opening the LOTRO Store now in a futile attempt to do exactly that!

I tried to right click on an item to sell at the Trading Post (Auction House) on Lotro the other day. Then I remembered I had to actually physically go to an AH. :P And then I couldn't easily see the lowest sell order, was too lazy to search each item, so guestimated a price. :P

But yeah, I love being able to post things on the Trading Post straight from my bags, wherever I'm standing in the world in GW2.

I can no longer take any info Turbine provides seriously.  After releasing the thinnest xpac ever, what's to think these 10$ a month updates are going to be any good?  I'm still asking myself after my first play through, where is the rest of the xpac? 

And this...

"The release of Helm's Deep was definitely a high point of the year for me!"

How can any statement after this one even be taken remotely seriously? 

I know some had to dole out the $40 for HD.  Luckily I was able to just buy 9.99 in TP to get it. 

Seriously Kate?  Where is the rest of the xpac?  OR  Did you decide you would release half of the xpac grab $40 from a lot of people and then tell them it's 10$ a month to get the rest?  To me HD is like going to McDonalds buying a chesseburger and getting one that is half eaten if not 3/4's.

My predictions based on past development:

1.   Mithril coins will become even more in your face, considering there is almost no way in game to win these they will go on sale much less often.  The housing update will only allow you to use MC as currency to see any of the changes.

2.  If HD was any indication of how small the future content updates will be, I'd expect to see an area like Wildermore but split into 3 different areas released over different times.  Meaning Epic quests will be released for these areas, then some thinly developed Epic Battles (possibly 2)  finally a prelude epic quests which leads into Gondor.

3.  I suspect the housing revamp that everybody wants is going to be thin as well.  Extra hooks for MC, 1 or 2 added vendors and possibly a RP area.

4.   Another new class?   I think we are being too optimistic about this one.  There is still way to much work to get the current classes back to being operational.  Expect to pay for this class as nothing is for free anymore including the epic quests which were free for a long time.

5.  revisit some older systems -  Not sure what is meant by older?  Mounted Combat?  turning older raids into solo content?  Scaling more content in the process ruining it?  Maybe they will finally make the loot system viable, or I may be asking for too much with this one.  Besides to Turbine the loot system is WAI.  It's also working towards player be less motivated to run content. 

All in all it is very difficult to see any of this ending positively after finding out what a $40 xpac gets you know a days.  Yes the land mass was big,  but lacked content.  Where were the crafting instances we used to get?  5 Epic battles compared to last xpacs 7 new instances.  Last xpac we had Hytbold and while I really didn't like it it make epic battles seem quite small as far as content.   What happened to daily quests?  They seemed to be replaced by warbands which dole out 3 tokens each?     The quest design is horrible at times and on par with the last 2 xpac at others.  Woodhurst is a place I will not longer quest in due to 90% of the quests being talk to this guy followed by talk to this guy, followed by...you get the point.  The Epic Quest where you ferry supplies across a bridge 1 at a time was terrible.

HD was at most a 10$ update what's to be expected in the future?  My prediction is more medocrity. 

I know some had to dole out the $40 for HD.  Luckily I was able to just buy 9.99 in TP to get it.

Seriously people, stop giving Turbine your money! It's only a small amount to you but think how many people are doing the same thing. Turbine is literally laughing all the way to the bank.

But it's disheartening to see so many idiots on the official forums take that letter so positively. They don't see that Turbine is in trouble, they genuinely think no expansions is a positive thing. And they are being far too naïve about what the 4 content updates this year will be. The past year it was an expansion, a zone and two updates comprised of delayed and scaled content. Yet there are people expecting MORE than that this time?

Also, Sapience has stated that there will be no instances between HD and the following expansion. Yet now the following expansion isn't happening this year. So what's the status on instances? No instances but they don't want to actually confirm it, instead preferring to let the idiots spread assumptions among themselves? Most likely.

My prediction for Lotro in 2014:

Turbine wont see 1 cent from me

If they don't address some support classes having better access to a 'hybrid/support' role, they won't get a cent from me either.  I mean, the lag, the poor content, the bugs, the lack of instances, the poor community management and so much more are all issues for me.  But the utter disregard for a handful of classes that had this option removed (or split into thirds) was the ultimate dealbreaker for me.  It's been stated many times by many people in beta and on the forums that this was a huge loss for them and Turbine's not addressed it.