LOTROCommunity

Hey Kate: the expansions are not the problem...

Darmokk

The relevant bit there is right around the 3:30 mark. Kate & Fernando are experts on monetization and exploiting a playerbase- but not at knowing anything about making games that are actually, you know, fun. Players complained like Fernando jokes they would, but they only kept playing up to a certain point.

Yeah, I wonder how all that's working out for him now? That prick is the worst thing to ever happen to MMOs... Dare I say computer gaming period?

Well he got hired by Turbine on high position, which definately seems it was an uppgrade from previous job and he was kept when WB took over (I would not be surprised if he was inovolved somehow in takeover). 

So considering that he is working on managment position in gaming subsidary of big entertainment corporation that seem interested in continuing to expand it's gaming business - It propably worked out damn well for him.

@Jackalope

Thing is. He has a point.   When you look at all F2P games and other business models with microtransaction, not only mmorpg's but generally all games with microtransactions  - then most of them started to sell minor (sometimes not so minor) gameplay advantages on last 2-3 years and well generaly microtransaction business / industry as a whole IS growing.  There is still growth in revenue and player numbers, more and more titles, and so on. 

People have not stopped playing them. No exodus happened.  Sure there is group of people that don't play games with microtransactions on principle, but crushing majority of players - play them and propably an average player play more games with microtransactions now, than he was playing when Paiz speech at PAX was filmed.

I'll do better than a quote.  It's somewhere towards the middle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=677OoDGU0ig

Definitely a must watch, but I still say that after watching, one should read this item below, Jeff Strain (WoW, GW, GW2) on what makes an MMO successful, and agree or not, contrast the pure humility with fernandud putz's snide little self.  

http://www.guildwars.com/events/tradeshows/gc2007/gcspeech.php

Tyria and ME are worlds apart. Even when they live on the same hard drive.

Well that is sad.  You know, I really don't mind paying 50 cents here or there when I'm playing, say Diner Dash.  But I HATE it when I'm playing a "real" PC game.  Microtransactions ruined The Sims and Sim City for me.  They are ruining LOTRO for me too.  It's just TOO MUCH all the time.  In your face all the time.  Sickened at Paiz's cavalier attitude during the presentation.  So sad that he and his wife are lead producers at Turbine.  So sad that they got their filthy hands on LotR IP :(

Well, as we are seeing, tolerance for the microtransaction system is directly proportional to the quality of content available. The difference between LotRO and Farmville is the playerbase. Some players have higher quality expectations than others. Granted, LotROs base is much less critical than it used to be, but it's still no Farmville.

Well that is sad.  You know, I really don't mind paying 50 cents here or there when I'm playing, say Diner Dash.  But I HATE it when I'm playing a "real" PC game.  Microtransactions ruined The Sims and Sim City for me.  They are ruining LOTRO for me too.  It's just TOO MUCH all the time.  In your face all the time.  Sickened at Paiz's cavalier attitude during the presentation.  So sad that he and his wife are lead producers at Turbine.  So sad that they got their filthy hands on LotR IP :(

The thing I really dislike now is the change to using mithril coins for more and more things (like the previous years' Yule steeds in-game).  

At least in the store we have weekly sales on things, that you can wait for if there's something you really want to get.

But things that are mithril-only NEVER GO ON SALE.  That's another way they're screwing the players.

Sure, once in a great while mithril coins go on sale, but it's not all that often.  This trend really makes me angry.

The contrast is definitely noticeable.

I don't know what two franchises he is referring to, but this would be in 2007. Still, it makes you consider the way the two different strategies work with the business model; lease an IP and essentially buy your marketing base, or spend the time to build your own IP and maintain control indefinitely.

It had to be LotRO and SWG he was referring to.

So was the plan all along to drop an NGE-like event on LOTRO (hi Skill Trees!  Goodbye raids!)?

Is he secretly affiliated with a group that is hoping to buy Turbine/the LOTRO license/something for a rock bottom price, so he and his wife are purposely making bad decisions?

Inquiring minds...

So was the plan all along to drop an NGE-like event on LOTRO (hi Skill Trees!  Goodbye raids!)?

Is he secretly affiliated with a group that is hoping to buy Turbine/the LOTRO license/something for a rock bottom price, so he and his wife are purposely making bad decisions?

Inquiring minds...

That's from Jeff Strain of ArenaNet, not Fernando & Kate.

I don't know, I think chances are he wasn't talking about lotro, wasn't it fairly successful at launch?

In the context of a 2007 letter, I can think of a few others he may have been referring to, in the realm of licensed IPs. Age of Conan was delayed until 2008, that was not a positive sign. Warhammer Online was another 2007 delay after several years of license related delay and studio flipping. I think there was a D&D licensed online game too, maybe a sequel to neverwinter? There was Marvel Universe Online, whatever became of that?

If you include games that were already out there like SWG, then I guess you have to include DDO too. And who knows what he is really referring to. It may be he meant things that the players don't readily see, like back room deals over licenses and last minute contract revisions holding up the development.

On the topic of mounted combat, all I can say is that it would work out well were it not for the omnipresent lag/rubber banding. I have a top end machine and it STILL happens. I thought buying a new rig would make a difference, but no it does not. It's not much fun running past everything, or suffering from stutters that make you either too fast, too slow, dead stop. etc.

I haven't brought myself to log in since the 'NGE', as I can't bear to look at what's left of my LM main. Or how the LI was gutted as well with useless legacies in storage and on items that no longer function due to lost skills (like the RoI expac), but hey, grind is what the game has going for it now, right? It's pretty much all that's left to it. I can 'not so quickly' find an item to drop with legacies that may work, assuming I want to bother playing with a damned skill tree (that wasn't broke in the first place). But I digress, the lords of the store know what's best for game-play, I'm only a customer after all. Not like the years I've played matter, what only matters is how much money I spent before, and how much I still spend. Getting value for my money is no longer relevant. As long as I keep giving it to them, that's really all they care about.

All you peeps going on about how great it is..is it challenging? Do you ever come close to failure? Does a group quest really require a group anymore? (Not that they all did before). Aggro range was so short prior to the NGE it was ridiculous, I remember when wandering into areas with purple mobs meant death, or a very fast run the whole way. I think you almost have to walk on them to get them to notice you now. (something GW2 is doing right, downgrading your level when you go back to lowbie land to prevent 'cheating' and force the combat onto players, which is loads more realistic, and keeps atmosphere up; how can mobs tell your level anyway?)

With regards to player addiction, sure some keep playing the game like good little consumers, but some one them leave, and new ones enter. That's called churn, employee churn for jobs, consumer churn for pretty much anything else. At some point, you use up all the 'new' players, and then it's all downhill at that point. Because as is obvious, you can't keep selling shit, calling it steak, and expect people to keep lapping it up.

On the topic of mounted combat, all I can say is that it would work out well were it not for the omnipresent lag/rubber banding. I have a top end machine and it STILL happens. I thought buying a new rig would make a difference, but no it does not. It's not much fun running past everything, or suffering from stutters that make you either too fast, too slow, dead stop. etc.

I haven't brought myself to log in since the 'NGE', as I can't bear to look at what's left of my LM main. Or how the LI was gutted as well with useless legacies in storage and on items that no longer function due to lost skills (like the RoI expac), but hey, grind is what the game has going for it now, right? It's pretty much all that's left to it. I can 'not so quickly' find an item to drop with legacies that may work, assuming I want to bother playing with a damned skill tree (that wasn't broke in the first place). But I digress, the lords of the store know what's best for game-play, I'm only a customer after all. Not like the years I've played matter, what only matters is how much money I spent before, and how much I still spend. Getting value for my money is no longer relevant. As long as I keep giving it to them, that's really all they care about.

All you peeps going on about how great it is..is it challenging? Do you ever come close to failure? Does a group quest really require a group anymore? (Not that they all did before). Aggro range was so short prior to the NGE it was ridiculous, I remember when wandering into areas with purple mobs meant death, or a very fast run the whole way. I think you almost have to walk on them to get them to notice you now. (something GW2 is doing right, downgrading your level when you go back to lowbie land to prevent 'cheating' and force the combat onto players, which is loads more realistic, and keeps atmosphere up; how can mobs tell your level anyway?)

With regards to player addiction, sure some keep playing the game like good little consumers, but some one them leave, and new ones enter. That's called churn, employee churn for jobs, consumer churn for pretty much anything else. At some point, you use up all the 'new' players, and then it's all downhill at that point. Because as is obvious, you can't keep selling shit, calling it steak, and expect people to keep lapping it up.

I'll say one last thing about MC.  Even without rubberbanding and lag, getting dismounted after 2 passes and instantly killed while trying to remount as a burg is not challenging or fun.  Having to make 14 passes as a guardian isn't fun either.

On the topic of mounted combat, all I can say is that it would work out well were it not for the omnipresent lag/rubber banding.

There is a real possibility here that the architecture made for regular foot movement's pace simply doesn't have the latency required for face-pace movement. Your computer is the least of the problems.

I'll say one last thing about MC.  Even without rubberbanding and lag, getting dismounted after 2 passes and instantly killed while trying to remount as a burg is not challenging or fun.  Having to make 14 passes as a guardian isn't fun either.

As guardian, don't make passes. Have /follow mapped to a key. Select target, hit /follow and spam red skills. It's quick, and your armour lets you shrug off the blows of any wingmen.