LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Tinker

Rift's Fae Yule Event

I'm a noob player on Rift with a f2p account. My characters are all lvl 20 characters and under. So far I'm really enjoying the style of the game. The Yule festival is also fun and diverting; a lot more enjoyable than the now stale LOTRO Yule festival (for me anyway). I was wondering though: what are the best items for me to buy with all these Yule Festival tokens (Unique Snowflakes and Dear Icicles) I've earned? Not sure what most people use them for to be honest. I already have a starter mount for each of my characters so don't really need a yule mount unless they have some extra perks of which I am clueless. I imagine seasoned players know the most helpful/fun yule items to buy with these tokens. 

Thanks in advance.

I transported my guest character into a real account. Now they say the account doesn't exit. Oops :)

I'm a noob player on Rift with a f2p account. My characters are all lvl 20 characters and under. So far I'm really enjoying the style of the game. The Yule festival is also fun and diverting; a lot more enjoyable than the now stale LOTRO Yule festival (for me anyway). I was wondering though: what are the best items for me to buy with all these Yule Festival tokens (Unique Snowflakes and Dear Icicles) I've earned? Not sure what most people use them for to be honest. I already have a starter mount for each of my characters so don't really need a yule mount unless they have some extra perks of which I am clueless. I imagine seasoned players know the most helpful/fun yule items to buy with these tokens.

Thanks in advance.

There are cosmetics, noncombat pets, gear, mounts, dimension items, consumables to be had from Rift festivals, and each seasonal festival has different concentrations of each (e.g. the autumn/halloween festival has way more cosmetics than the other festivals that I've seen, for obvious reasons).

Cosmetics are self-explanatory. The mounts are basically cosmetic, by the way. You can slot any of the regular gear cosmetics into your free cosmetic outfit slot (first is free, anything after that costs gold/platinum/probably credits). The weapon cosmetics require a store purchase, however, and is generally not recommended while you level because leveling tends to go quickly. Mainly for epic-and-higher weapons/shields that you'll keep for several levels, assuming you don't min-max too much. But some people just want to run around beating things with a giant candy cane and will buy the 200-credit weapon cosmetic bauble anyway, no harm done.

For gear*, cap-level items with the upgrade component are decent if you don't run dungeons, and there's the possibility of getting a "best-in-slot" cap-level item/component from the random lootboxes (Fae Yule grab bag in this case), but I never bother with the RNG side of things. The main gear in the Yule festival are the caps, which can double as a cosmetic as well. There are also level 60 jewelry and stuff--you won't bother with any of that since you're low level. You also wouldn't worry about the Essences at that level.

Pets generally drop from the bells, mostly the dark bells that I've seen, and they're not usually bound which means you can sell or buy them on the AH: There are *achievements* related to the pets in Yule and other festivals, such as getting the Greatfather Frost pet if you collect and summon all the Yule-related puppets. You can press "H" to bring up the Achievements window to see what sort of titles and items you can win from completing various sets.

Dimension items are quite popular, for people who really get into dimensions. It's similar to EQ2's housing where you can position items anywhere you want and build your own structures from ground up. Every player in Rift gets one dimension free, and other dimensions are purchased from the dimension NPCs or through the store or bartered from special events like festivals.

Consumables are cosmetic. They're supposed to last 30 minutes, though I noticed some of mine that I got free from drops have broken for whatever reason, so they might be bugged. I've been hoarding whatever candy cane drops I've been getting for the corgi cosmetic effect, but I personally wouldn't barter for them because I'm not buried in snowflake currency.

*You won't be able to barter for the higher-tier items like cap gear and mounts without the Dark Icicle currency, and your toons can only earn 10 in each stage of this Fae Yule festival, which means a maximum of 30 per year per toon and thus only one "major" barter reward per year, unless you buy with credits. Every festival has some kind of rare currency like this, I believe, though the quests to get them per stage are quite easy, at least. I log into each of my toons for the staged currency even if I only do the other quests on one or two alts--the rare currencies are bound to toon, but the regular currency can be shared with your alts.

Snowflakes and other regular "green" festival currency, on the other hand, are super easy to get. You get them by doing the dailies and doing zone rift events (closing rifts, killing invasions mostly--and you must be mentored to the event level). Typically when I don't want to bother with the lag in the major cities, I'll just do zone events.

The sledding/snowman repeatable quests have no cooldowns, which is nice, and that's 10 snowflakes per double run. The snowball fight requires other participants on the same quest to be in the little snowman ring, but if no one else is around, you can see a "Fearless Celebrant" or whatever NPC running through every so often, and you can use that NPC for your count.

Even if you don't buy anything this round, you can still participate and accumulate currency for next year: Currencies don't expire, as far as I can tell, and there are World Event barter NPCs in both major faction cities and Tempest Bay year-round, so you can barter stuff from them anytime if you happen to have the currency stored up.

• Upvote 1

Wow, thank you for all the helpful information, Trilwych! You answered a host of questions I've had. Fantastic! :)

I transported my guest character into a real account. Now they say the account doesn't exit. Oops :)

Well that's a bummer, Darmokk. I'd considered switching one of my chars to a different server shard where one of my friend's plays, but am concerned I'll lose either my char or all my stuff. Maybe I'll just make a new char in my friend's shard since I'm such a noob anyway. 

Brodrick, are the yule dimensions listed in the store or do you buy them from a Tempest Bay vendor? I love the housing dimensions in Rift. There is such room for creativity. Really a shame LOTRO won't do this. Oh well. 

Thanks again for all the great input.

Happy Yule!

6c26ac31e006794e1ee3e8bdeda69feecdf5f612

I am probably going to buy the yule dimension on my main..it is 750 snowflakes and 30 drk icicle's..not sure yet about the alts.

Oh--that sounds cool.  :]

I'm not much for festivals, but I like my Shamble Stick from the summer festival.  It's a permanent item that lets you polymorph people into a shambler creature if they don't have it toggled off.  I've used it a few times when people ride up and park on top of me with their mounts at the auction house, which is rude.

Agree that festival currency is persistent in your wallet or whatever, along with all of the other currencies.  Well, not all.  There is at least one currency from a special event that is completely useless now.

Server transfers are free, but I've never done it so I don't know what's involved...

As for the Fae Yule dimension, you can find it at the Fae Yule dimension NPC (should be one in each main faction city next to the other Fae Yule NPCs), the World Event NPCs that are available year-round, or just open the store interface and select World Event at the very top and check the "dimension item" filter. I suspect Trion cycles the dimension items in the World Event NPCs because I don't see anything from autumn/Halloween, but I see the Fae Yule dimension stuff is there now. It's "Key to Dimension: Icewatch Outpost." This dimension along with another winter dimension (Kestrel's Cry Ravine) are set in the zone Iron Pine Peak, which is a bit higher level than you, but if you do the sledding/snowman quests, those take place in Iron Pine Peak. It's the only snowy zone in the game. You can just run around a bit and see the sights, grab the ports (unlike LotRO and WoW, being low-level in a zone doesn't make everything insta-aggro).

The downside to these winter dimensions, though, and it may bother some people, is that the snow just goes straight through everything. You can build a structure that your toon can stand on, but Trion didn't program the snow to recognize solids, or something. We're not talking about a gentle snowfall, either, but blizzard conditions (at least for the Kestrel's Cry Ravine dimension). :P

There are also all the Fae Yule decorations you can barter for, of course, that don't need dark icicles. I'll probably go for a selection of lights; love xmas light strings.

I'm not much for festivals, but I like my Shamble Stick from the summer festival. It's a permanent item that lets you polymorph people into a shambler creature if they don't have it toggled off. I've used it a few times when people ride up and park on top of me with their mounts at the auction house, which is rude.

Recommended tip: Under Key Bindings, there is the "Hide Other Players" UI toggle. Bind it to something so when a bunch of dumbasses pile on top of an NPC you're trying to click, you can make them all vanish. Also useful when you want to take a screenshot of scenery. ;)

Personally after getting the Yule dimension i would grind and save up for Dark Ice Bells, whenever you open them you get a random item, it's mostly companion pets etc, but there's a chance for them to give you a lesser essence which as it turns out beats the best in slot lesser essence by a few points.

The downside to these winter dimensions, though, and it may bother some people, is that the snow just goes straight through everything. You can build a structure that your toon can stand on, but Trion didn't program the snow to recognize solids, or something. We're not talking about a gentle snowfall, either, but blizzard conditions (at least for the Kestrel's Cry Ravine dimension). :P

Talking of snow, is snow fall effecting anyone elses performance ingame? I'll be in an area running at 60 to 70 fps, then suddenly it will start to snow and i'm doen to 25 to 30 fps, it's quite annoying.

Thanks again for all the great fae yule festival info and the tip about hiding other players. Just had someone afk sitting on top of an npc I needed to click...really annoying.  

One of my characters bought an Icewatch Outpost Dimension today. Can I share it with the alt I have in that same shard? Not sure if I need to give her permissions so she can put things in the space or not.

Thanks again for all the great fae yule festival info and the tip about hiding other players. Just had someone afk sitting on top of an npc I needed to click...really annoying.

One of my characters bought an Icewatch Outpost Dimension today. Can I share it with the alt I have in that same shard? Not sure if I need to give her permissions so she can put things in the space or not.

Your alts can freely enter each other's dimensions, though giving full decoration permissions is a bit trickier.

http://rift.junkiesnation.com/2012/11/14/getting-started-with-dimensions-a-guide/

Open the Dimensions window and you'll find that permissions are given in groups. If you wanted an alt to share full permissions with the dimension owner, the only workaround I know of is to add your alt to your friends list and then enable all permissions for that group. Obviously, you wouldn't want to add anyone else to your friends list if you do that. And even if you do give an alt full permissions this way, that alt cannot work with bound items (placing bound items in a dimension not owned by alt, or I think moving around an item bound to the owner).

Thank you Trilwych! You are a fount of helpful Rift information. I'm logging on now to see if I can add her to the character's friend's list, then I'll try to place an object with the alt. BTW, that Icewatch Outpost Dimension is Ginormous. Not sure if I'll ever have enough stuff to put inside. lol!

One more question: if I decide to move one of my alts to a different shard will her dimension(s) and the items therein move to the new shard with her or will she lose them?

Thanks again!

Thank you Trilwych! You are a fount of helpful Rift information. I'm logging on now to see if I can add her to the character's friend's list, then I'll try to place an object with the alt. BTW, that Icewatch Outpost Dimension is Ginormous. Not sure if I'll ever have enough stuff to put inside. lol!

One more question: if I decide to move one of my alts to a different shard will her dimension(s) and the items therein move to the new shard with her or will she lose them?

Thanks again!

:)

Dimensions are connected to the owner toon, so wherever the owner moves, the dimensions move with the owner. If your alt places items in your main's dimension, and then your alt is moved to another shard, she won't have access to that dimension anymore and thus not those placed items either. (AFAIK, haven't actually tried since all my toons are on one shard.)

Open the Dimensions window and you'll find that permissions are given in groups. If you wanted an alt to share full permissions with the dimension owner, the only workaround I know of is to add your alt to your friends list and then enable all permissions for that group. Obviously, you wouldn't want to add anyone else to your friends list if you do that. And even if you do give an alt full permissions this way, that alt cannot work with bound items (placing bound items in a dimension not owned by alt, or I think moving around an item bound to the owner).

I'll have to take this back. Apparently your alts automatically have decoration rights outside of soulbound items, so you don't have to do anything special. My bad! I never tried it since each of my alts has multiple dimensions (it's confusing enough already), but just messed around a bit now.

A few meeeeeellion calories later and a brief hibernation for the holiday season...

I gave in and bought the Fae Yule minion adventure pack (with additional minion missions), but accidentally bought it on the wrong toon, so I'm short all those dark icicles for trading an actual gear piece (necklace). Oh well! At least the RNG gods smiled and gave an orange-quality sword for my main via those RNG troves. Not sure when this festival ends, but it must be soon.

Happy new year! Hope those who participated enjoyed it, at least.