LOTROCommunity

If you have any interest in a survival type game, or some good PvP that is so easy to pick up, I highly recommend this game. It is going to be really big.

So fun, and funny, and challenging. Hard to survive - but you can make a base and store things you collect in the base when you die - but bandits can raid the base also - so it is always a challenge. If you know about DayZ, think Day Z playing against tons of players with few zombies, and with very easy controls.

Its on Steam but you might be able to get it free. Official Servers are facing massive DDOS attacks now, so if you try it, PM me for a server that is good and is up.

I generally suck at PvP - but love the challenge - it is more about strategy than skilled PvP. Can you hide and survive long enough to make a base? to craft a gun and armor?

And a good simple crafting system too. It is in Alpha - but is completely playable (think better than many betas). I can't think of any bugs. Also you can run it on any gaming machine - with reduced frills and graphics - if you need to.

I SO love this game. Amazing. Perfect in its simplicity and challenge. Crafting with complexity that doesn't bog you down. Ability to make your own house and fort, after much hard work as you run around with your heart beating hoping no one kills you before you can craft an axe, a bow and arrows, and then a temporary hut. Then when you can kill enough animals and get enough skins you craft a sleeping bag and suddenly you are OK. Before that, if you get killed you respawn in a random very far away location - which makes it hard to find your own little stash.

This game is a blast.  Perfect for jumping into any time you have 20 minutes or so.

If you care about game development, what is happening is pretty significant:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130895-Rust-Servers-Under-Siege-by-Network-Attacks

A handful of hackers have basically shut down the game by closing all servers for 5 days (except pirated servers). No one has been able to stop them. A great game - sold a ton in Alpha state on Steam, and suddenly no one can actually play it. Very interesting. So far no luck in stopping the hackers - but if you speak french you can talk to them in a public team speak server. Their demand - make the servers free to host - which Garry (Gary's Mod) doesn't want to do yet.

It is brutal - a few people basically destroyed this game - since it uses servers like minecraft. A lot of players are unhappy paying $20 and now cannot play - but it is still only Alpha and they just have to be patient.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130895-Rust-Servers-Under-Siege-by-Network-Attacks

http://playrust.com/

The other thing that is happening is people are using cheats in the game. So basically a semi-release amazing game - incredibly fun with it's current state - is having major trouble with cheaters and the hackers taking down the servers.

If they ever get it together, this game will really give DayZ and Arma III a run for its money. The best thing about Rust - much, much easier controls than Arma II or III.

If you like survival games but without the pvp aspect you should give 'don't starve' a try.

your character can freeze to death during winter, run out of food and even go insane at some point. death is permanent and will delete the map (but you can find or construct items to give you a second life)

That sounds great. Thanks. I would like one without the PvP also.

BTW, they finally seemed to stop the attacks that were shutting down the servers. Seems like the attacks stopped the many thousands of players from playing at all for about 6 days.

If you like survival games but without the pvp aspect you should give 'don't starve' a try.

your character can freeze to death during winter, run out of food and even go insane at some point. death is permanent and will delete the map (but you can find or construct items to give you a second life)

I agree with that. I love watching youtube videos of people play it. Dontain and Sips are absolutely hilarious.

Rust sounds like a horrible experience to me due to the pvp aspect. :P Don't Starve is just right for me.

Rust sounds like a horrible experience to me due to the pvp aspect. :P Don't Starve is just right for me.

Rust has a full realistic world. Sadly, Don't Starve has cartoon-ized casual flash game graphics.

"horrible experience to me due to the pvp aspect."

What really matters is if you want a game with challenge - or if you only want to play games with challenge when you decide, say, to fight an elite mob (like an MMO). Rust has plenty of challenge as you learn it, then only as much challenge as you want. It's a sandbox - no quests - what do you want to do? Meet and work with others? Hunt and build up gear and weapons? Build a castle? a huge tower? Raid other's houses? Hunt other players? Just explore? Make a secret base and fortify it? It's all up to you.

I have only fought with players a few times, and was horrible at it when I tried to kill someone. But I am slowly amassing resources, learning to be better, and finding blueprints for new crafting recipes. It is so much fun and addicting.

In 30 hours I spent about 10 minutes in player PvP. 95% of my combat was against mobs/animals. and 98% of the game was not fighting at all. When you die you just respawn at your house - losing any items yes but not a big deal. Early on the challenge is to set up a house.

This is a thinking man's or woman's survival game. And it is a beautiful world. It is a crafting sandbox game. With challenge. You don't need to do PvP. There are friendly and PVE servers. Nothing like an MMO's LEET PvP with gear.

The game made 5.5 million dollars in 3 weeks of Alpha - so it sold I guess about 300,000 copies already. It will definitely make it's mark in game evolution. A stunning mix of mine craft and DayZ.

• 2 weeks later...

I am still so impressed how they are developing this game. It is still very early in development (Alpha). Lot of features are not in the game yet. But they put enough in the game to make it totally playable, and actually much better game play than many games out there (which is why they sold so many copies already). The debs are committed to building the game based on players input and suggestions - and they are getting a ton of feedback. It just seems like a very smart way to make a game, and it is truly making a game based on good play, not on what they can hype up and sell. There is in fact no hype at all about the game - everyone know exactly what the game is so far.

Anyway, here is a video. Start at 5 minutes in. Shows a base (made like in mine craft) and some players storming it. The metal doors take several C4s to break through, and also the main player only (not the invader) can open any of the doors. The player is very, very good.

video shows a lot of the game in terms of combat

Half of rust players play in groups, and half maybe play solo or with one friend. So for example, my game play is more survival and the joy of building up my small base and crafting abilities. So not everyone is playing like in the video. Lastly, the game is all about emergent gameplay. No quests, no story except that made by players - of which there are a ton of stories - like the little village I was part of on one server.

And here you can see how openly they are communicating with players:

http://playrust.com/status-report-001/

Rust is the #1 game on Steam right now. Seems like several big reviews came out, leading to it being #1.

Also note, two other games, both in Alpha, both in same genre, are in top 10 on Steam. Although both 7 Days to Die and Day Z Standalone have some serious bugs/issues right now that make them a lot less playable than Rust apparently.

The Day Z world looks amazing though. Rust is a sandbox and has very few already-made buildings in the world. Day Z has a huge map filled with building, cities, hospitals, abandoned cars, etc. It could be a really good game later on. Day Z little or no crafting; 7 Days is very mine craft like. Rust is in the middle - and not too complex right now. No terraforming though - just wall, base, and object building.

Think of it like Nethack. Easy to quickly build up a new store of anything you need. You can decide what type of game you want and how much PvP based on the size of the server (and type of server).

And you can pretty easily build up enough of a base, or bases, to keep your things. Actually, you can pick a low pop server and you never have to worry, or a PVE server and then you actually can't be killed at all! So plenty of room to play around with it and have fun.

well Sips enjoys it, but he has a deceptive ability to make things interesting, regardless of whether or not that is the case.  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnb22uSngJo

and a cautionary word from the caustic Brit on early access, of which rust also is doing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyGbbIB5eaM

Sounds interesting. Linux, version too.

Beware, it might not run well on Linux for a few weeks. Seems like some can run it, and some have some bugs, and there may be work arounds. For now, the Windows version is the most finished (to be playable).  A bit old post: http://www.reddit.com/r/playrust/comments/1u4ybq/my_experience_with_rustlinux/

On the caustic Brit's video. He has some good basic points, but is speaking with a lack of knowledge about the games, like rust. The smart thing he should be pointing out is: just go to the game forums and the games reddit, and you can read exactly how the game is in a lot of posts, including the current alpha state. If he had done this, he wouldn't have to whine about there not being information on the game on steam.

Rust is completely playable as a complete game (with more features and changes coming), Day Z and 7 days are not. Rust suffered from DDOS attacks which have been fixed, and currently suffers from some hackers. But you can get really fun game play with the current version without any game breaking bugs.

I'm really not a fan of this idea of paying for early Beta or even Alpha access, I should pay them to test there game? How did this become acceptable?!

*disclaimer: I admit to actually doing just this with War Thunder having given them some money whilst the game is in beta during a moment of drunken weakness...

I'm really not a fan of this idea of paying for early Beta or even Alpha access, I should pay them to test there game? How did this become acceptable?!

*disclaimer: I admit to actually doing just this with War Thunder having given them some money whilst the game is in beta during a moment of drunken weakness...

Well beta nowadays is more like 'the game isn't finished but it isn't unplayable either, so if you really want to play go for it'. I've bought a few games that way and haven't regretted it. Minecraft and Contagion spring to mind. Not a bad tactic, really. Might as well get some money whilst you're still working on it.

Rust is using paid alpha right. Gives them money to do a lot with the game. They have money for many dev staff now for the next 3 years. They are getting tons of good input on the game. BUT they made sure to open up the alpha when they had a very good game. It is not incomplete. If the game is barely playable and they are charging $30 for it (like DayZ) then I think that is not that great. But $20 for an amazingly fun, completely playable game like Rust is a good deal.

Actually, you will find few cheaters on ANY non-official server. A lot of the cheaters are banned, and hacks stopped in recent updates. There are so many servers most don't have many hackers.

Joining one with 5-20 players online can be perfect, or find a busier one if you want more intense evasion required.

If you are new and just want to play around even a very low pop server is fine and lets you practice the game.