LOTROCommunity

http://www.archeage.com/en#trailer (this is a cinematic, very cool, but does not include gameplay) 

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/07/25/youll-want-to-watch-the-new-archeage-intro-video/  <---Stunning gameplay based trailer.  I really liked this one.

What massively had to say about it looking to 2014

7. ArcheAge

Follow: Massively's ArcheAge category

What is it: An "everything and the kitchen sink" fantasy sandbox MMO created by the legendary Jake Song. It's been out for a while in Korea and is making its way across the world in regional releases.

Why it's worth watching: It's a proven product that's gotten rave reviews for its go-anywhere, do-anything approach to virtual worlds. Be a farmer, a pilot, a fighter, or a sailor -- ArcheAge has it all and then some. Plus, the production values are out of this world with gorgeous graphics and stirring music galore.

Chances of releasing in 2014: Hope springs eternal, huh? We honestly don't know what's going on with the localization of ArcheAge for the west, but 12 months is a long time, so I'll give it a 50-50 chance to surprise us with a late-year release.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/09/05/lost-continent-on-the-failure-of-archeage/  

Another article discussing some changes and challenges ArcheAge has had.  

And another here: http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/09/02/rumor-xlgames-eyes-restructuring-after-disappointing-archeage-p/

I cannot find the place where I read that the release in North America had suffered a setback so maybe I am mistaken.

I'm a bit worried about the open PvP.  That's what ruined Aion for me so early on.  Everything else looks absolutely fantastic though, so I'm definitely willing to give it a shot even with the PvP.

ETA: Interview with Trion CEO re: Archeage Nov 13: http://archeagesource.com/topic/2345-whats-trion-been-up-to-with-archeage-heres-an-update-qa-with-scott-hartsman/

• 2 weeks later...

I've tested Korean version for a some time.   Unfortunetally, game had not delivered and is simply bad.

It had a lot of promise when in early beta, (beta took like 1,5 years or so) but that was before complete game design was known. They've altered many things and added a bunch of stuff and in result it was very diffrent game from what it initially appeared.   Also combat is bad. (not because it is tab-target, because it is bad tab-target and it is kinda unrepairable because it is tied to core game mechanics).

Now it is just, well bad.

BTW: It should be in "Other MMOs" rather than in "Other games".

Just btw, to let you guys know what ArcheAge morphed into. That may be especially important to those that either don't like Asian things or are looking for coherent, believeable fantasy world or both.

screenshot0989_zpsdc525cfa.jpg

5_zps10706404.jpg

f2xDlrR8Eso_zps2eb394c7.jpg

Those screens are from game itself, this is visible in a game for everyone and not client side only. 

• 4 weeks later...

OMG what a great idea!

If you were a niche retailer, like say IBC, you could pay to have your own vending machine in there and drive your branding. Subconsciously it would be "not coke like everyone else has but something boutique", and then when you see it in the store you are reminded that this is a brand you know, you drink it all the time in game.

I don't see that attracting a great market in the West, which really bodes ill for Trion. Could be wrong, but the fact that they're dumping money into this risky thing, well.....I just hope it doesn't hurt Rift too much (you know these "side" projects usually do!).

Isnt that illegal? Doesnt that violate some copyright law somewhere?

Im glad you posted those images, drul. I dont want to waste time and money on a game like that.

They may have a licensing deal with those companies, to allow their use in the game. As for the Western version of Archeage, I don't see those making it into the version we get, which might explain why it is taking so long to bring the Western version to market. Trion's official word is that they are working on localization, which usually means translating text to the local languages, but also involves adjusting content as needed to fit in with the local market. For example, Scott Hartsman stated in an interview some time ago that they have to change some quests entirely, because they were originally designed with a very Korean-centric flavor, which simply would not work in the West. So with that in mind, it seems likely that things like those modern vending machines might work in a Korean game, but would absolutely not fly in a Western fantasy MMORPG, and thus would be removed in the process of localization.

Hmmm, okay. Well, we'll see. Game development is really a moving target sometimes. Are there any examples of foreign games like this being popularized in the Western markets through significant localization changes? (It's the sort of thing I usually think of with... movies. Like Japanese horror for some reason.)

They may have a licensing deal with those companies, to allow their use in the game. As for the Western version of Archeage, I don't see those making it into the version we get, which might explain why it is taking so long to bring the Western version to market. Trion's official word is that they are working on localization, which usually means translating text to the local languages, but also involves adjusting content as needed to fit in with the local market. For example, Scott Hartsman stated in an interview some time ago that they have to change some quests entirely, because they were originally designed with a very Korean-centric flavor, which simply would not work in the West. So with that in mind, it seems likely that things like those modern vending machines might work in a Korean game, but would absolutely not fly in a Western fantasy MMORPG, and thus would be removed in the process of localization.

There is nothing to remove in process of localization.  I think you don't understand.

Vending machines and most of stuff from pictures are imported into game by players themself, not by ArcheAge developer.

I seriously doubt there is any licensing deal signed between i.e. Coca-Cola and XLGames.

In ArcheAge you can take a texture and import it into a game and put on some kind of objects. 

Players simply used that and created objects that look like vending machines, refrigeators, posters of Korean pop stars and erotic movies, posters of coffee restaurants,  posters of various anime tv show and so on.

Cars, sloach flying costumes, teddy bear costumes, Playboy bunny Playmate costume,  modern man suit costume and a lot of 'cute' Asian or modern stuff was made by developer.

Concluding - you'll have all sort of weird shit that does not fit in western version of ArcheAge.  Some of it because it is part of the game and some because player will import it into the game.  I can only wonder of what American and European players will think of.

btw.  1.0 ArcheAge patch made many of most loyal western ArcheAge fans (those that still sticked)  jump the ship finally.

Imho only hope for AA in west from business point of view is to make it completly f2p and try to attract teenagers that plays other Asian grinders like Metin, Perfect World, Aion, NWN Online, etc

• 5 months later...

Anyone interested should grab a Beta key for the upcoming weekend Thurs 10:00am - Monday 10:00am

Closed Beta 3 (CB3) keys available various partner gaming info sites with Trion.

Here's link to MMORPG.com http://www.mmorpg.com/giveaways.cfm/offer/556/Archeage-Closed-Beta-Event-3-Blood-Bounty.html

Get them while you can and just to note, there will be a CB4 at least, before it goes Open Beta-Launch.

Good luck, maybe see some of you in there :)

BTW, you're not going to see many if any of "Coca Cola" machines in NA version of the game.

Trion has already stated that using Trademarked images for ingame art creation and such is a big no no and they will delete it.