LOTROCommunity

29 hobbits..... Sapience on livestream

Tarantula

A lot of people are logging in all their alts and running them thru one Yule quest everyday in hopes of getting a symbol from the sack of presents.

why? does having a lvl 95 second ager speed up the timer while standing around afk during epic battles?

Ok, so there is a new thread, this time in the Developer Diaries and Official Discussion section:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?537901-Take-the-Hobbits-to-Isengard!

It's again going to be an event per server (like Bounders Token event), then it's the servers vying for the best time/distance, with a scoreboard.

This hobbit hunter will follow someone who knows where s/he is going..... with other words, it's almost possible for S to sit back?

Sapience indicates :

"During the stream you can ask questions or just hang out. Anything I can answer I will. You can even ask for specific devs to drop in and chat during other challenges. Be aware, they’ll be chatting in the stream, but may not be playing. So I encourage everyone to have at least a decent set of ear buds nearby. Also, dev time is valuable so we may not be able to get the dev you want when you want, but I’ll do my best."

That^, to me, is a lame lure for more and more players who want to hear something 'new'.

and a warning:

"GM’s will be notified prior to each event. So anyone with plans to grief, harass, or otherwise make trouble during the event should be aware the GMs are on call and watching the stream. So even if I miss it, they probably won’t. The idea here is to have FUN!"

I want to stay as far away as I can from the above - YUK!

6th post in: a pic of a group who has run 4 or 5 chickens there.... so it's not really unique to bring a level 10 hobbit to the gate of Isengard.

And of course: no post in the $50,000 raised for the Extra Life Campaign.

Is this supposed the new 'added' end game? *sarcasm*

Bingo!  So he has no responsibility in the whole affair, will let everyone else do the work, and take all the credit for "bringing the community together".

Sounds like the same BS he pulled with the power outages - "it wasn't our fault it failed, but yeah, we fixed it."    

The 29 hunters thing makes sense now. I'm sure this will be fun for some people.

This does not sound reassuring me at all. Wasn't their promise already many times over that they would communicate better with the players?

Never seems to happen.

They promised the same in the beta forums for HD. They didn't live up to the promises at all.

And Dev time is valuable? What for?

There is a new thread in the hunter forums: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?&postid=7065085#post7065085

where Jinjaah, in just over an hour, writes 2 posts that include the following :

"I will do my best to stop in from time to time and answer any questions you have so let's get this started. .....[snip]

Finally I just want to re-iterate that I am indeed listening and reading your forum posts. I lurk more often than not due to the other things I am currently working on but I am listening. I will however, do a better job of communicating with you all some ideas as they come down the pipeline."

"I do in fact live! I will pop into the champion forums soon and chat with you all about some update 13 things. I have not forgotten you all and I do like a lot of the suggestions forming in that thread."

This does not sound reassuring me at all. Wasn't their promise already many times over that they would communicate better with the players?

Never seems to happen.

And that's because the dev's time is so valuable?

Makes me wonder how many of them are left.

The longer I mull over the things that Turbine has pulled on us since f2p started, the more I feel that they have manipulated both the game and the playerbase, that they lied, that they make empty promises, and that they are the most sneaky company I have ever dealt with.

Take e.g. the triple bonus tp sale that they ran over Christmas. One does not know what to think: they may close the game soon, and then those tp are useless to me.

Or, they have something coming down the pipeline that is going to be expensive, and not having bought tp during this sale was a stupid thing to do.

This is what my biggest pet peeve is: as a gamer and as a customer, you never know what is the best thing to do. Even continuing playing without spending money is not appealing, because one is always again confronted with these shady tactics

*end of rant*

Don't buy it.  Jinjaah posted almost the exact same words when he (?) opened up the Champion feedback thread many months prior to HD - the purpose of the thread was to get feedback about what we'd like to see Champ-wise come HD.  He never once posted again after the initial post, and the thread was full of suggestions, encouragement, and enthusiasm.

I can't recall what other classes he was in charge of for HD, but I believe he posted the same exact OP for their feedback threads (just changing the name of the class) and didn't bother responding in any of those threads either.

Maybe he is trying to interact more, but given past experience I can't help but think he only posted those words you quoted because he had to, not because he's actually planning to follow through.

What kind of aoe skills do the trolls at the front gate of Isengard have, and how far before they leash back? 

Is it still possible to spawn worms from the final fight of the Lost Temple in the rest of the game world?

I sense a plan brewing. sherlock.gif

The force is strong with this one.

:Y

And yeah I was one of those jerks who pulled the fell reaver into honor hold and a world dragon into Stormwind.   I used to love it when hunters would AOE the 15 mobs I pulled in a area.  One thing he was anticipating was a hobbit flop.  That was one dead hunter.   I may have also released an Avanc in the bree AH from time to time. 

So yeah I'm thinking about it.  So if anyone else can name a few aoe mobs on the way to Isengard do tell.  I think those skelie mobs in Enedwaith and Dunland have an aoe that does a certain amount of dmg per second when closeby.  I'm sure 15  of them would be instant death for a level 10 hobbit. 

Like I said I'm thinking about it.  I remember that WOW video on the PVP server where the horde was giving a funeral for a real life death in game.  That place got nuked.  Even though I knew I shouldn't laugh I couldn't help it.

Is it still possible to spawn worms from the final fight of the Lost Temple in the rest of the game world?

Like the Zul Gurub disease?  The one that would wipe out an AH in about 15 seconds flat?

So this is the LotRO endgame?  Watching Sapience play a Level 10 Hunter that's on follow?

I have to admit, I never imagined they could come up with something worse than Hytbold, but along came Epic Battles.

And now this.

And next?  A farting contest in Hobbiton.

When you do not have the money to develop real content this is what happens.  Welcome to maintenece mode.  Enjoy.

And next?  A farting contest in Hobbiton.

When you do not have the money to develop real content this is what happens.  Welcome to maintenece mode.  Enjoy.

I'm not sure how this is related to having the money to develop real content.

Community managers from other studios frequently livestream this kind of fluff. Turbine is just trying something new with marketing. If it's even a little effective and brings some new players to the game, and some of them spend money, maybe there will be more money to develop new content.

Also, if a bug or shortcoming is broadcast live in front of hundreds of people, maybe it will get developer attention sooner.

So here's looking forward to the Draigoch raid! And Sapience using the instance finder at level 50 to find a group for a dungeon. Or run a solo epic battle as an upscaled level 10 character with quest gear on. Or quest in the Trollshaws. Or PvMP some more. (That one was actually pretty fun last time on Brandywine.)

Somehow, I doubt this promotional stunt is taking anything away from the game's development budget.

Community managers from other studios frequently livestream this kind of fluff. Turbine is just trying something new with marketing. If it's even a little effective and brings some new players to the game, and some of them spend money, maybe there will be more money to develop new content.

Also, if a bug or shortcoming is broadcast live in front of hundreds of people, maybe it will get developer attention sooner.

So here's looking forward to the Draigoch raid! And Sapience using the instance finder at level 50 to find a group for a dungeon. Or run a solo epic battle as an upscaled level 10 character with quest gear on. Or quest in the Trollshaws. Or PvMP some more. (That one was actually pretty fun last time on Brandywine.)

Somehow, I doubt this promotional stunt is taking anything away from the game's development budget.

True, but I'm sure Rick will actively avoid any "troublesome" areas in the game, to avoid bringing attention to known bugs and problematic systems.

True, but I'm sure Rick will actively avoid any "troublesome" areas in the game, to avoid bringing attention to known bugs and problematic systems.

Such as him not having a lvl 85+ char to go through the HD content during a livestream? Perhaps that would just be too embarrassing for even him :D

Such as him not having a lvl 85+ char to go through the HD content during a livestream? Perhaps that would just be too embarrassing for even him :D

I suspect he will take his time leveling up on his Hobbit Hunters, and by the time he approaches HD content, they will have fixed much of the problems therein, or at least found a way to avoid them during his Livestreams. Keep in mind he's doing these from the same town where the servers are located, so distance-based lag should not be an issue. I would assume he's using a rig that is fairly optimized for the game, perhaps a QA test platform or something similar. The point is, Turbine will do everything possible to make the game appear as smooth and bug-free as possible.

I struggle to see Sapience leveling to 50 or doing a Draigoch raid :)  The road to Isengard is a safe thing for him to do because it is a road....not too many bugs or technical complexities to be found while running along the road to trip you up and embarrass you.  A few years ago I would have been encouraged by stuff like this.  1 night a week of a dev out in the Moors.  1 night a week of the devs playing music in Bree or the Forsaken Inn.  Sadly, especially with Sapience being the one to do it, it holds no interest for me.

I suspect he will take his time leveling up on his Hobbit Hunters, and by the time he approaches HD content, they will have fixed much of the problems therein, or at least found a way to avoid them during his Livestreams. Keep in mind he's doing these from the same town where the servers are located, so distance-based lag should not be an issue. I would assume he's using a rig that is fairly optimized for the game, perhaps a QA test platform or something similar. The point is, Turbine will do everything possible to make the game appear as smooth and bug-free as possible.

I doubt he will get any of those chars past lvl 30. If he was passionate about lotro, which as the CM he should be he would have his main at lvl cap and playing through the game along with Turbine's customers. As it is he hasn't a clue about the game he supposedly represents.

Anyhow, the whole "road to isengard" is a pathetic stunt to get some publicity for himself and to have his merry little band of hangers-on fawning all over him. 

(snip)

I think that you are too kind/optimistic about this.

Taking 29 hunter hobbits through the starting areas and then till level 10 = time consuming and boring as h...

Add then 29 'runs' to Isengard, which someone stated takes like 2 hours. = 58 hours of community hours that are used for publicity.

And what comes after that? 29 BBs with Sapience? Because those can be entered at level 10 as well.

But no attention to the distribution of incentives for his Extra Life Campaign?

It just makes me nauseous when I see the enthusiastic and naive responses of posters of the official forums for these hobbit runs.

And Jinjaah who writes to the players 'I have not forgotten about you.' Really? That must sound reassuring? Isn't a game developer's first priority that s/he develops a game for players? A game that is playable? Don't many of us have the feeling that quite a few devs have no idea what skills do in game (because they don't play the game)? And that, when they turn the skills upside down, they have no idea on how to fix it? Both RoR and HD felt very rushed and unfinished. To me, this all shows that the development budget is very/way too tight. And I expect that to only get worse.

If you have your bags full, does the worm from the Hytbold daily can still be spawn anywhere?

I vote for:

1) boycott the Sapience run (especially on Elendilmir) by not showing up. Would be great to have her hobbit alone with no one to follow

2) spawn the warm(s) right in the middle, the more the merrier so the run could end as fast as possible

I was thinking it would be cool to troll him, but then realized I would actually have to play the game now.

And of course I would not do this, but it's fun to think about bringing down each server whenever he is playing on it. Make the server crash whenever he starts to stream from one.