LOTROCommunity

If you could pick one region to revamp in 2014...

Fredelas

Regional Revamp  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Which original region would you like to see revised in 2014?

• Ered Luin
    • The Shire
    • Bree-land
    • The Lone-lands
    • North Downs
    • Evendim
    • The Trollshaws
    • Forochel
    • Misty Mountains
    • Angmar
    • Eregion
    • I don't want any of these regions revised in 2014.

I picked Evendim too.

Although they did a few nice things with the area, the current quest architecture is just terrible. Go to a quest hub, do 3 times 3 quests there, go to the next quest hub. This is completely ridiculous. I like how with the landscape quests of the newer areas at least a small element of exploration came back to a game. Evendim only leads you around on your nose ring with no element of surprise or exploration.

none.

they don't have a budget to do it justice.

so I opt, without voting, for much simpler & cheaper re-leveling of Forochel.

Taur Orthon / Khauppa-koti mobs and quests down 5 levels from 44-45 to 39-40.

Ita-ma / Pynti-Peldot mobs & quests down by 4 levels from 44-49 to 40-45.

Lansi-ma / Zigilgund mobs & quests down 3 levels from 46-50 to 43-47.

Ja-rannit / Suri-kyla mobs & quests down 2 levels from 48-50 to 46-48.  in addition drop the class ports to this region by 2 or 3 levels as well from 48 to 46/45.

Talvi-muri / Kuru-leiri mobs & quests down by 1 level from 49-50 to 48-49.

adjusting all mob loot tables accordingly (quest rewards could remain, not much is utterly overpowered that i can recall.)

all epic quest material in this area is already gated behind instances with the one exception of the frost giants who could remain, exactly as they are currently.

Forochel has already been revamped once to make some things that demanded a group, completable solo.  it had a couple quests that were hard, but aside from adjusting their levels, they could remain exactly as is.

this would be the cheapest, least labor intensive update to schedule & it would be all i feel comfortable recommending given the current state of affairs.

anything else i would be more concerned with them breaking even further, rather than improving.

there are other areas that need attention, but i don't think they'd get the correct attention needed & i am not comfortable even suggesting they be considered.

The most useless zone in the game could use a revamp.  That zone is the Trollshaws.  I actually own that content as part of the Mithril Pack. 

The quest flow is terrible.  Quests level 32ish-34, maybe enough to get a 1/4 of a level if that.   6 to 7 quests around level 36 to 37, you're lucky to get an 1/8th of a level.  Then quests begining at level 41 which take you all over the place.

The zone really becomes useless at level 39 when players are elsewhere grinding legendary pages.   Which makes the last quest hub abandon.

The worst part ZERO SWIFT TRAVEL ANYWHERE.  How many times must I climb the damn ford on a slow stable to complete the epic?  Like at least 15 times.  Sadly they will keep this mechanic in order to bag people for Mithril Coin sales.

If I had to guess I'd say Turbine would revamp the Misty Mountains.  I know many people do not like the quest flow but I did.  It kept forcing me back to places like Angmar and Forochel to farm pages.

LEAVE FOROCHEL ALONE.  That was always my favorite zone in the game.  No pesky players around to ruin my emersion. (thick sarcasm)  I liked the area as a whole.   It's like the misty mountains without the snow lag.  Also one of the best places to farm Thorin Hall Rep.   And many rare elites roaming around.  Even though the gear from the area is outdated and useless the cosmetics are still cool.  My Warden ran around with that winter medium armor from Forochel, cosmetically for a long time. 

I also don't understand why people say there are lots of alternatives to Trollshaws. I don't think so. There aren't too many levels you are supposed to gain in there but there is no on-level alternative.

I also don't understand why people say there are lots of alternatives to Trollshaws. I don't think so. There aren't too many levels you are supposed to gain in there but there is no on-level alternative.

Evendim is a major competitor.  Quests from level 30 - 40.  Quest flow is decent enough with fast stables like EVERYWHERE.  Even new boats to place you would have to swim to previously.  AND quest and barterable gear with set bonuses. 

The area around Esteldin is also great for leveling from 29 - 35.  And offers way more quests than the first Trollshaws hubs.  No set bonus stuff, but mobs that drop double hides.  (total bonus lol)

I've even seen players in the elite areas of the Lone Lands until level 34 or so.

Level 39 and above you are farming pages and you ain't getting those in the Trollshaws.  Since almost nothing for the class quests drops here it makes it even more useless of an area.  39 -47 MM, ANG and Forochel.  And then it's off to Eregion to, you guessed it,  farm more pages.  The path almost forces you to it, to get you to grind out the items and things you need for Moria. 

LEAVE FOROCHEL ALONE.  That was always my favorite zone in the game.  No pesky players around to ruin my emersion. (thick sarcasm)  I liked the area as a whole.   It's like the misty mountains without the snow lag.  Also one of the best places to farm Thorin Hall Rep.   And many rare elites roaming around.  Even though the gear from the area is outdated and useless the cosmetics are still cool.  My Warden ran around with that winter medium armor from Forochel, cosmetically for a long time. 

I like Forochel a lot. However, I'd prefer that its existing quests either be re-leveled and expanded to 41-50 or compressed to 41-45.

LEAVE FOROCHEL ALONE. 

re-leveling changes...  the point at which you can begin questing in the area, otherwise, it remains pretty much exactly what it is now.  so nothing actually changes with the content experience.

if the first quests in the starter hub are Level 39, you can vector directly from Evendim, rather than having to grind out levels via skirmishes, or some other method.

I like Forochel a lot. However, I'd prefer that its existing quests either be re-leveled and expanded to 41-50 or compressed to 41-45.

as it stands now, Leveling in Forochel is utterly flat.  completing one hub more than adequately levels you to complete the next hub at exactly, or if you are thorough, often time less challenge than the previous.

it currently covers level 44 - 50.  i'd like to see it go from 39 - 49.  though if they wanted to have an utterly flat leveling experience 39 - 45 could also pass.

and i'll iterate again, YES, other zones need attention.  that said, it won't be Orion with a proper (time) budget to make the changes.  so i purposely offer an easy task, that CAN be done cheaply, with minimal effort.

something like the Trollshaws definitely needs attention & a lot more love then i think the current lot has to commit to the task.

so no, i won't be voting on that...

i didn't actually vote at all.

Who cares, I mean seriously what is the point of redoing any of these regions. 

Its not like there is a flood of new players joining lotro, levelling has become so quick and easy that you skip entire regions and will only ever visit them via the epic book quests. 

If you already have a number of max out characters are you going to roll yet another just to level there?

Seriously at this stage of the day why waste time and man power doing something which is going to have no effect.  

This is what both amazes and depresses me about the Lotro community, Turbine have announced that you are getting no new content or new instances for the foreseeable future but they might revisit an original SoA region and everybody is like "Yeah that's cool"

The amount of time they will spend redesigning any of these regions could and should be spent on other areas of the game. 

This is what both amazes and depresses me about the Lotro community, Turbine have announced that you are getting no new content or new instances for the foreseeable future but they might revisit an original SoA region and everybody is like "Yeah that's cool"

I wouldn't say everybody is like "Yeah that's cool" about this.

In the end i don't care what region will be revamped (or if any will be) but since there is a poll, i decided to vote and explain.

I'm pretty sure most of us here are beyond the point of beeing angry about no new content coming. Many people are just beyond the point of caring about what will be in game or not. Still i think it would be safe to say that it is exactly opposite to "Yeah that's cool" reaction among people here about not having new content, especially new IC.

I know I am being picky here but

No new instances on the cards; check - confirmed by Sapience recently

Might revisit an original SoA region; check - confirmed by Sapience recently

No new content... I haven't seen this announcement?

I did see this in Kates letter;

“Take a break from expansions”

We’ve heard a lot of you suggest we take a break from the annual expansion cycle, and we agree! We’d like to take the time to revisit some older systems, add more region content, and just generally have more Middle-earth to explore throughout the year.

But it isn't impossible that I also missed another announcement contradicting that.

On topic, Trollshaws gets my vote although I would like to see some change to Misty Mountains as well.

Ah, in this forum "add more region content" and "no new content" mean the same thing. ;-)

What we're really looking at here is the wrong kind of content for some. I'm broadly in favour of them stopping messing about and just giving us more of Middle Earth (and that promised housing revamp). But if they had any sense I think they would also be working on a Paths of the Dead 6-person instance. Not a 12-person raid in my opinion; I don't think the creaky game-engine could cope.

Ah, in this forum "add more region content" and "no new content" mean the same thing. ;-)

It's not about this forum or not.

When Turbine says "more region content", people like you will think "deffinitely more new regions".

People looking at things realistically and taking Turbine's previous experience in telling lies under consideration will think "More region content? Probably they will add some new quests in old areas, revamp old areas with couple of new quests and stable masters and that's about it". The latter can be still considered "new content" but for players it's hardly new content.

If you wanna be so very technical than yes, we will have new content but the meaning of "content" is deffinitely different for you and for me.

It's not about this forum or not.

When Turbine says "more region content", people like you will think "deffinitely more new regions".

People looking at things realistically and taking Turbine's previous experience in telling lies under consideration will think "More region content? Probably they will add some new quests in old areas, revamp old areas with couple of new quests and stable masters and that's about it". The latter can be still considered "new content" but for players it's hardly new content.

If you wanna be so very technical than yes, we will have new content but the meaning of "content" is deffinitely different for you and for me.

Well yes, from the announcements I've seen I'm definitely expecting new regions. I would guess in the general direction of Gondor.

Ah, in this forum one person saying one thing means everyone thinks the same thing as well.

Sorry again. Over generalisation.

so I opt, without voting, for much simpler & cheaper re-leveling of Forochel.

I agree with this, although instead of releveling one quest hub 5 levels below, then another quest hub 1 level below, etc., I would just relevel the entire thing 5 levels below.  So it would be a 39-45 zone.  This would probably be the best zone to transition from Evendim since they're right next to each other.  I would also add in more swift travels.  So this would probably be the most efficient revamp since nothing has to change but an overall sweep of level change.

It also would make more sense because you'd actually be able to wear the rep armour before outleveling it, lol.

What we're really looking at here is the wrong kind of content for some. I'm broadly in favour of them stopping messing about and just giving us more of Middle Earth (and that promised housing revamp). But if they had any sense I think they would also be working on a Paths of the Dead 6-person instance. Not a 12-person raid in my opinion; I don't think the creaky game-engine could cope.

In all honesty, with 10 levelcapped chars (well, not anymore, but at 85...) new content means only one thing for me.

It's sure nice and all to revamp zones or even add new low/mid level zones, but to me, it's not content.