LOTROCommunity

If you could pick one region to revamp in 2014...

Fredelas

Regional Revamp  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Which original region would you like to see revised in 2014?

• Ered Luin
    • The Shire
    • Bree-land
    • The Lone-lands
    • North Downs
    • Evendim
    • The Trollshaws
    • Forochel
    • Misty Mountains
    • Angmar
    • Eregion
    • I don't want any of these regions revised in 2014.

Oh without a doubt Trollshaws could do with an additional stable or two!

Hahahaha... travelling to some of those instance entrances way back were half the fun sometimes!

Especially those that didn't have overly near mustering horns(or any captain).

Also many a time if I say joined a group, and saw the group had nobody close to a horn... then I knew it was time Taffildir should hop on his trusty goat, and off he went to the Gate of Ruin! (Grand Stairs)

Fun times indeed. 

*sobs*

I am absolutely in the same camp. Making your way to the instance entrance, especially when you were on level with the environment, was a very nice touch.

However, that is an entirely different matter from Elrond making fun of you with the postal quests in the epic quest line.

Anybody wants to do the Rift, on level, meeting at the entrance?

Definitely me. But beware! It isn't even difficult anymore. My level 51 warden recently travelled to the Rift base camp all alone and without major problems. The aggro range changes make this actually quite easy nowadays.

is it still a challenge to run to Rivendell on a low-level?

Below level 15 it can still be a challenge (even if you own a mount already), mainly due to the stealthed lynxes in the High Moor area. Although that's really more luck than challenge. As long as you don't run over the top of one, you can usually outrun everything, even on foot. It might be like calling navigating a minefield challenging.

I think LasraelLarson hit the nail on the head for me.  Travel isn't the problem per se.  It's pointless travel.  Five minutes on a horse through great scenery to undertake five minutes of meaningful questing is fun - that's immersion.  15-30 minutes of travel across all of Middle Earth to tell Elrond he dropped his wallet, or shoot something dead in 7 seconds, is just pointless - that's boring.  The travel should be commensurate with the gravity of the task to be performed (= the time commitment of the task).  In that, I would agree that players should need to travel to instance locations prior to receiving the instances in the join panel - if you can't fight your way to the start at least once then you shouldn't be doing the instance.  Things like Inn League delivery quests are an exception of course - you know what you're in for when you sign up for that.

Back to Trollshaws specifically: the other thing that I remember that always puzzled me about TROLLshaws was the lack of TROLL quests. I think there are three non-epic quests involving trolls (including finding the Bill, Bert and Tom site) and two (?) in the epic quest chain.  There are as many spider quests as troll quests. There are areas in Trollshaws with great scenery (e.g. Barad Glamgil) that contain many trolls but no associated quests.  You only see them at all if you complete the Explorer deeds or want to grind the troll-slayer deed there.  Usually you just ride/run around or through trolls on your way to kill wights or spiders.  They're just part of scenery.  If the region was revamped then I think they should aim to get the 'troll' back into Trollshaws - or change the name to Spidershaws.

is it still a challenge to run to Rivendell on a low-level?

Ah, that never-to-be-forgotten first run, pursued by everything and not knowing the way! Searching the moorland and suddenly finding the hidden valley entrance, just like in the book. 8-)

What book would that be, because Frodo passed out by the Ford ;)

Ah, uh, er, The Hobbit?

I think The Hobbit because I've got the impression in my head from somewhere and you're right about Frodo not seeing it. Didn't they wander about for a bit with Gandalf saying the entrance was hard to spot? Then it was down a steep valley which wasn't visible until you were right by it.

Without a doubt summoned ;-)

Moria is gated via Epic Vol II

Are there any Lothlorien rep items? I remember getting that rep only via quests. I'm asking because Lothlorien, let alone CG (Lorien downtown) is also gated by rep unless this changed (have not run a new char through thre in years).

Or maybe summoning is not respecting reputation?

Maybe the player had to bring a level 6 to Lothlorien to get some challenge to the game?

Yes but how did he do that? Nobody can answer my question? Can a cappy summon a player to a rep gated area, even if the summoned player is lvl 6 with no rep at all?

If it is not possible, how did that lvl 6 get there?

Anglion, not every place is gated right? Maybe he was summoned to somewhere not gated - even to Moria.

Can you be in Moria without completing the epics? I think you can. So either he got close to Loth and got the rep somehow (items), or he was summoned to Loth. I don't know either if you can be summoned directly there.

Are there any Lothlorien rep items? I remember getting that rep only via quests. I'm asking because Lothlorien, let alone CG (Lorien downtown) is also gated by rep unless this changed (have not run a new char through thre in years).

Or maybe summoning is not respecting reputation?

They removed the rep gate to Lothlorien when Great River launched.  Something about not wanting to prevent players who didn't have Lothlorien from buying the Great River region, iirc.  In this particular battle of profit vs. lore, profit won.

Yesterday I was in Lorien downtown and there was a level 6 hobbit.

chances are, they used a store bought travel item (removes all travel restrictions) & went from South Bree to Stangard & then with travel restrictions still nullified, from Stangard to Lorien.

as far as bypassing the city gate, there is some kind of rope that allows players without enough rep to go through the main gate, to bypass, but i have no clue how that works, or what part of the city you access.  unless of course, with travel restrictions nullified, they were able to swift inside of the city. from Rivendell, or Galtrev, or one of the other hubs with that swift route?

but Lorien has no rep items, it is all quests, which at level 6, you couldn't activate.