LOTROCommunity

Lotro Private Servers

Validoom

I am not surprised that developers don't release code for their MMORPGs even after they're plugged-off.   Plenty of reason to not release it, and practically no reason to release it.

Oddly enough it does happen. EA has even done it, when the MMO Earth & Beyond (an EA MMO similar in principle to eve) was closed down they actually released the code for public use.

Oddly enough it does happen. EA has even done it, when the MMO Earth & Beyond (an EA MMO similar in principle to eve) was closed down they actually released the code for public use.

Yeah.  Sometimes in very rare cases it does.   There is usually a reason for this though.

Reusage of this IP in any form currently is propably doubtful.   So releasing source code of cancelled game may keep fan-base of IP alive and provide potential business opportunities in future.  

Additionally afaik nor EA did not have and did not release any sc-fi mmorpg for long time after E&B got cancelled. 

So in this particular case there was little to lose and potentailly something to gain.

Lotro and most games or Intellectual Properties are not in that kind of situation.

• 7 years later...

another game that had a big following for private servers was legend of mir, but there was never an english client leaked for that, only chinese and korean.  that alone made getting it running for english speakers difficult, the client side was resonably easy, it was the server side that was hard (with the exception of the autopatch on mir 3)

i quite enjoyed working on that,had it fully working but never started a server for the masses as i never had the time, i do keep looking to see if there have been any lotro server files leaked but have never found any.  i would love them just to see how they work and maybe have a private server just for those in my household, but i doubt it will ever happen...