LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Trilwych

Dimensions! (Player housing in Rift)

I know there are some other posts about player housing AKA dimensions scattered about in other Rift threads, but I think a separate thread is appropriate too. :)

Calling Rift's dimension system "player housing" is kind of a misnomer, I suppose, since you literally get a "pocket plane" or a little piece of an existing zone in which to build stuff from scratch. (Trion is removing the annoying green barrier walls in an upcoming patch, I believe.) With the F2P store, Trion has introduced additional dimension items like complete buildings if you don't want to literally build your own house.

There are lots of various guides, tours, blogs, Youtube videos, item databases out there for Rift's dimensions, so I won't list them all. I think dimensions are analogous to LotRO's cosmetic system, where some people get pretty darn serious about it (though Rift's cosmetic system isn't bad at all either). There's also the official Rift dimensions forum. The primary dimension add-on is entirely optional, but pretty powerful if you know how to use it.

I honestly didn't get into dimensions at all for a couple months after starting the game because I was still in the LotRO mindset. You get a free tiny starter dimension and some basic items, and at first I thought it was just a freeform version of furniture placement without hooks. That's true, but it wasn't until I visited that now-famous Star Wars-themed dimension that the concept of object morphing finally sunk in. Whoa! Or seeing how creative people can get with 3D space, like the "largest slide" dimension.

Anyway, I finally finished (for the most part) my main's dimension, and you're welcome to visit. It's not some uber project like those featured in Trion's dimension contest from earlier this month; no theme, just a "home" that can feel livable in the IC sense.

It's on Faeblight, entitled "Upstairs, middle, first left" (Temple of the Abandoned). You should be able to find it by going to the Public-weekly section of the dimension window and searching by the title.

Anyone have a dimension or three they'd like to share? :)

Very cool dimension! I just gave you +1 and took a screenshot of myself in your kitchen. Very clever use of the permanent objects. I'm saving plat for a nicer dimension. Only have Plaza Aurentine and Icewatch outpost at the moment, and nothing much in them yet. When I have a dimension that's ready for prime time, I'll send word. :)

10507941.jpg

P.S. It took me a while to escape your maze upstairs. lol!

To visit Trilwych's dimension you'll need to be on her server/shard which is Faeblight. You may need to finish the intro dimension quest tutorial that everyone does when they are first start out. That should give you access to all the other dimensions. Just click on your Social tab and choose dimensions. Then in the popup choose Public Weekly and type in the title she shared above.  

I'm pretty sure you don't need to do anything other than create a toon on the shard you wish to tour and can start touring dimensions at level 1, at least that I remember. There's a trick to getting onto the EU shards (change settings on login screen), otherwise it's super easy. The dimensions keyboard shortcut is "[".

Can't wait to see what you build Tinker! :)

Edit: Forgot to mention, but there are two hidden aspects in my dim - a secret guest house and then the rest of the tower floors. :P

I'm pretty sure you don't need to do anything other than create a toon on the shard you wish to tour and can start touring dimensions at level 1, at least that I remember. There's a trick to getting onto the EU shards (change settings on login screen), otherwise it's super easy. The dimensions keyboard shortcut is "[".

Can't wait to see what you build Tinker! :)

Edit: Forgot to mention, but there are two hidden aspects in my dim - a secret guest house and then the rest of the tower floors. :P

Oh I missed the secret guest house...I only noticed the tent, which was way cool. I'll go back and look for the guest house after I get a little sleep. :) Seriously though, well done! That's a very nice dimension. 

(Trion is removing the annoying green barrier walls in an upcoming patch, I believe.)

Nope, it will still be there. but it will only be visible when in editing mode.

I'll have to go check out your dimension later Trilwych. Mine aren't worth bragging about at the moment so I'll keep them secret for now. When I am happy with them though I will post something here.

I have a few dimensions now as I find the process of creating them really fun ( so.  I have been using Toolbox since the last feww stages of the first one I made were giving me some issues, and haven't done without it since.  I have been tweeking more on my Greek island dim, some pics of which I already posted here in another thread.  I will revamp some of my links this weekend on the others I have made and then post here.

The thing that I appreaciate about dimensions in Rift is that they really do offer your own world and personal playground to romp in, in ways the "housing" in Lotro never could.  Some of them are also so HUGE you could spend all yout time in one if you chose and find something fun to get into.  I am always completely in love with and taken aback by the sheer scale and imagination of other people when I visit their dimensions... dimensions in general are an integral part of the game for me now which I confess I would be hard pressed to give up. :)

I really want to knuckle down and get my dimension decorated but every minute online is taken up by daily that and weekly this in an attempt to get myself raid ready I just don't have time.

I have not had time for my dimension either really, but this made me want to go visiting! Too bad I cannot see yours Trilwych as I am on an EU server, would have been fun :) Might put my crafters to work now...

Oh I missed the secret guest house...I only noticed the tent, which was way cool. I'll go back and look for the guest house after I get a little sleep. :) Seriously though, well done! That's a very nice dimension.

Oh, I think you found it alright. ;) (I'm using "guest house" pretty liberally here.) Thanks!

Nope, it will still be there. but it will only be visible when in editing mode.

You're right. I think what happened is that Trion intended to remove the green force field entirely and then decided to keep it in editing mode to help the players. Yeah, see if Turbine is ever so mindful of player needs/enjoyment...

I'll have to go check out your dimension later Trilwych. Mine aren't worth bragging about at the moment so I'll keep them secret for now. When I am happy with them though I will post something here.

Can't wait to see. And the vast majority of players shouldn't worry about comparing against those uber dimensions made by players who seriously do nothing but create dimensions; I really like seeing "living spaces" in the IC sense (without reference to IRL cultures, etc.) and have seen some of the cutest little Warden's Points/Guardian starters made by folks who just wanted to make it a home. While the ultra-object-morph dims like the Star Wars one are great for tourists, I really believe those are more technical homage exercises than anything else.

Huh. Though I wonder if anyone has done a LotR-themed dimension yet.

I have a few dimensions now as I find the process of creating them really fun ( so. I have been using Toolbox since the last feww stages of the first one I made were giving me some issues, and haven't done without it since. I have been tweeking more on my Greek island dim, some pics of which I already posted here in another thread. I will revamp some of my links this weekend on the others I have made and then post here.

The thing that I appreaciate about dimensions in Rift is that they really do offer your own world and personal playground to romp in, in ways the "housing" in Lotro never could. Some of them are also so HUGE you could spend all yout time in one if you chose and find something fun to get into. I am always completely in love with and taken aback by the sheer scale and imagination of other people when I visit their dimensions... dimensions in general are an integral part of the game for me now which I confess I would be hard pressed to give up. :)

Ooh, nice! Where's the Greek one located?

I think player housing of this nature tremendously increases game longevity and is a legitimate "endgame." It's certainly another form of income for Trion through the store... though I admit I'm not happy that Trion decided to make the platinum-vs-credit cost difference so exorbitant on building blocks. There's no way I'm paying like 3 plat for a single tile or fence post, which means I don't want to pay credits either because I feel strong-armed. :(

I really want to knuckle down and get my dimension decorated but every minute online is taken up by daily that and weekly this in an attempt to get myself raid ready I just don't have time.

Great thing about dims--once you buy the key, it's yours forever! No rent or lease fees. Besides, when you're actually raid-ready and waiting for a raid to form or something, there's that free time to dink around in a dimension. There are quite a few "trophy" dimension items gotten through instance achievements and artifact sets, which I think is a nice touch; unbound to boot.

I have not had time for my dimension either really, but this made me want to go visiting! Too bad I cannot see yours Trilwych as I am on an EU server, would have been fun :) Might put my crafters to work now...

I found the post detailing how to switch between EU/NA shards for dimension touring:

(switch between EU/NA shards) Before logging into the game client (as in before putting in your password), go to the Settings tab in the lower right corner. Click that. A drop down at the top of the next page will currently be set to North America, simply change the drop down to Europe, then press save, then press back and log in as normal. To go back to NA shards, repeat the process after exiting the game entirely.

I remember seeing an EU dimension that had morphed a table of sushi. Sheesh. I really want to morph more food, but I'm not very creative about that.

Huh. Though I wonder if anyone has done a LotR-themed dimension yet.

I stumbled upon this thread a while ago and bookmarked it

http://forums.riftgame.com/game-discussions/dimensions/392148-prancing-pony.html

http://s886.photobucket.com/user/wiz12268/slideshow/Prancing%20Pony%20remodel

Looks great!

I had no idea those dimensions were as customisable as they are.

Not many things you cant do, The main limit is your imagination. Some people even make jumping puzzles and let other have a go.

Not many things you cant do, The main limit is your imagination. Some people even make jumping puzzles and let other have a go.

Now that is something I can get behind. Player customisation is always good.

I had no idea those dimensions were as customisable as they are.

BUT THERE'S MORE.

Rift will be getting a new crafting profession called Dream Weaving in update 2.6 coming in the next month or something... which allows players to craft dimension items AND actual dimensions. http://junkiesnation.com/2013/12/20/rift-preview-of-dream-weaving-new-crafting-profession-coming-in-2-6/

I imagine players will go absolutely nuts over this... The extended customization capabilities Trion is putting into their dimension system is really stunning.

About creating really customised stuff: found a dimension with Jabba the Hut as Santa Claus complete with the band playing and all on my server.... Did I miss an instance or raid somewhere??

:O

BUT THERE'S MORE.

Rift will be getting a new crafting profession called Dream Weaving in update 2.6 coming in the next month or something... which allows players to craft dimension items AND actual dimensions. http://junkiesnation.com/2013/12/20/rift-preview-of-dream-weaving-new-crafting-profession-coming-in-2-6/

I imagine players will go absolutely nuts over this... The extended customization capabilities Trion is putting into their dimension system is really stunning.

Hehe.  That would be me; I will have a new found addition for my dim addiction ;)

Admittedly, part of why I am leveling all my chars so slowly is that I spend huge amounts of time making things in my dims and sometimes find the leveling boring in comparison, lol.

As far as cost of dim items, they are easily obtained from AH.  Lots of people sell off things they no longer want at pretty good prices; at least on Laethys anyway.  I spend a lot of time browsing for items so when I see something cheap I snap it up.  I got tons of building mats that way, and fair few items like furniture and plants. 

Then you have the things you can fish, festivals, a few drops now and then.  I have been playing for just a few months but have accumulated a lot just by doing these things so I haven't really seen much need to use the store to buy items; especially if I am able to buy off AH, then my plat goes to another player and not the store, which I like better :)

Hehe. That would be me; I will have a new found addition for my dim addiction ;)

Admittedly, part of why I am leveling all my chars so slowly is that I spend huge amounts of time making things in my dims and sometimes find the leveling boring in comparison, lol.

As far as cost of dim items, they are easily obtained from AH. Lots of people sell off things they no longer want at pretty good prices; at least on Laethys anyway. I spend a lot of time browsing for items so when I see something cheap I snap it up. I got tons of building mats that way, and fair few items like furniture and plants.

Then you have the things you can fish, festivals, a few drops now and then. I have been playing for just a few months but have accumulated a lot just by doing these things so I haven't really seen much need to use the store to buy items; especially if I am able to buy off AH, then my plat goes to another player and not the store, which I like better :)

On the plus side, I had fished up loads and loads of dimension stuff back when they were all still bound to toon; Trion did all dimension creators a favor by unbinding the things. The AH market is certainly hopping. There isn't enough competition for the store-based building blocks, though, as I rarely ever see them below store plat prices. I suppose I'm just not that hardcore: Given the choice between a store building block like preferred dark wood tiles versus the greystone tiles I can craft for some time or even the most basic 3g stone tiles, I can't swallow any building block price in the platinum range. High prices make a lot more sense to me for special decoration items (and I've bought some through the store, like certain magitech items that I rarely/never see on AH) but not something for which I'd need a dozen to make a big floorplan. It's a matter of principle rather than not having enough plat, at least in my case. :P

I'm pining after an orrery, and even though I can afford the ~1000 plat prices right now, that doesn't mean I actually want to spend that much. I keep checking for maaaaybe some lower price on the AH. At the credit price, I could buy at least one mount, which is far more practical.

Really looking forward to the Dream Weaving craft because that will add more competition in dimension markets as well as the artifact market. Ever since F2P with the daily login present, the artifact market pretty much bottomed out (except artifacts found in places like instances/raids). With this, I expect demand to at least double...

(*Note to new dimensioneers: Pay attention to what dimension items are available from the dimension NPCs. It's not uncommon for people to relist cheap vendor items for 10x the price or something stupid. You can usually tell just by opening the in-game store, as the "old world" dimension items are usually priced in the gold ranges.)

BUT THERE'S MORE.

And there's even more than that. they're working on PvP Deimensions, yes you heard it, special dimensions you can decorate and run PvP events in with various rulesets etc.