LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Spiteful

12.2 Quick Bar Memory

A bit lengthy, but it was written with those who may not be familiar with Quick Bar functions in mind.

With 12.2 the interaction between Trait Trees and Quickslots is changing. Not only a fix to the Memory Issue but also to functionality.

Some terms so we're all on the same page;

Quick Pages - there are 3 Quick Pages that a player can flip through, Sword (#1), Shield (#2), and Horse (#3).

Quick Bars - There are 5 Quick Bars plus the Main Tool Bar. The Main Tool Bar plus Quick Bars 1-3 are Quick Page dependent. Quick Bars 4 and 5 are static and do not change when switching between Quick Pages. So for example if you are on Quick Page 1 (Sword) and place a skill on the Tool Bar or Quick Bar 1-3, and also place a skill on Quick Bar 4-5, the switch to Quick Page 2 (Shield) the skill on the Tool Bar or Quick Bar 1-3 will be gone but the skill on Quick Bar 4-5 will still be there. If you flip back to Quick Page 1 both skills will be where you put them.

Standard Skill - These are skills that are not Trait dependent. You always have them no matter how or if you are Traited. For our purposes this will also include macros, consumables, etc.

Traited Skill - These are skills that you get via Traits and Specialization Bonuses. You "learn" them when you choose a Trait Set and "unlearn" them when you switch Trait Sets. Unless of course a Trait Skill or Bonus is applied to both Trait Sets.

That's basic functionality so here's how it will all work now.

All memory and saving is tied to Quick Page 1 (Sword).

Make sure you are on Quick Page 1 (Sword)

Make sure you know where the Tool Bar and Quick Slots 1-3 are

Put all of your Standard Skills as well as your Trait Skills for a given Trait Set (Blue,Yellow,Red) onto your Quick Bars however you like them laid out for that Trait Set.

Swap Trait Sets you'll notice all of your Traited Skills have been removed, except any shared between Trait Sets. Your Standard Skills will remain where you put them earlier.

Now place your new Traited Skills where you want them, including moving Standard skills to new Quick Slots if you'd like.

Now switch back to your original Trait Set. You'll see all Traited Skills as well as Standard Skills return to where you placed them for that Trait Set. Switch back to your second Trait Set, again all Traited and Standard Skills will return to where you placed them for that Trait Set.

You can continue this for as many Trait Sets as you have available.

All of this is done on Quick Page 1 (Sword)

Quick Page 2 (Shield) is now a static page. It will remember any Standard Skills you place there but any Traited Skills will have no memory of where they should go. This makes it a good place to put things like food, macros, travel points, etc. since you never "unlearn" them.

Quick Page 3 (Horse) functions as it has in the past. You will auto switch to it when mounting your Warsteed and it will remember where you have place Standard as well as Mounted Skills.

Also keep in mind that Quick Bars 4-5 are static across all Quick Pages so if you put a Standard Skill there it will be there no matter what Quick Page you are on or what Trait Set you are using.

All in all the 12.2 changes are fantasic and well above what I expected. I'll be happy to help with any questions as I can.

Still pointless. When I want to trait for DPS, I have a very different skill layout than I do with Survivability. They need to make what happens on the Sword Page happen on the Shield page too. And also revert the trait trees to pre-HD so I can have my damn characters back.

You can have multiple skill layouts, you simply don't need to swap Quick Pages. There's no real need for it to happen on two pages as it all happens on one page. After you set up your different layouts it becomes a matter of just switching specs and the appropriate layout loads. It actually removes a step, switching Quick pages.

Reverting to the old system is not the topic, there are plenty of other places that has/is discussed here.

Is this from the other forums? Or info form there?

It's from the Beta. 12.12 launches tomorrow and once again the patch notes are quite unclear on the changes for some. This is my write up, and yes it may be over there as well.

I spent a lot of time working with the interaction between Trait Sets and Quick Bars both in HD Beta and 12.2, I know some here can't see over there so I thought it would be good to have it here also for those that would like to know.

All in all the 12.2 changes are fantasic and well above what I expected. I'll be happy to help with any questions as I can.

No, they're not.

These are QoL items that should have been shipped with HD's initial trait tree/class changes in the first place. Turbine is barely playing catch-up here compared to other games that already let you switch saved trait setups and simultaneously all UI setups. You know what this whole debacle is like? Instance Finder v1.0. Everyone remembers that, right? The shipped product was barely beta level.

The problem is that player expectations are so abysmally low now that 12.2 can be even seen as "great fixes." There never should have been the need to "fix" such foundational things; have they even fixed the clearly broken and unbalanced DPS output? :/ So sad.

I spent a lot of time working with the interaction between Trait Sets and Quick Bars both in HD Beta and 12.2, I know some here can't see over there so I thought it would be good to have it here also for those that would like to know.

Excellent. Thank you. I haven't followed all the details, but it seems improvement was needed. Thanks for helping with it.

No, they're not.

These are QoL items that should have been shipped with HD's initial trait tree/class changes in the first place. Turbine is barely playing catch-up here compared to other games that already let you switch saved trait setups and simultaneously all UI setups. You know what this whole debacle is like? Instance Finder v1.0. Everyone remembers that, right? The shipped product was barely beta level.

The problem is that player expectations are so abysmally low now that 12.2 can be even seen as "great fixes." There never should have been the need to "fix" such foundational things; have they even fixed the clearly broken and unbalanced DPS output? :/ So sad.

Sigh

I probably should have known better than to post it here.

Yes they should have launched fully functional. They didn't, we all know that. They did fix it and on top of that improved the system in the process. They didn't let it languish away unfixed or make it worse by changing it like they often do.

This fix is a fantastic fix, imo.

This fix is a fantastic fix, imo.

A fantastic fix for a fix that shouldn't have been there in the first place.

I do have to admit, it is funny to see people praise fixes as if they didn't expect them to ever happen.

Obviously it shouldn't have been needed, that's an obvious fact, but thanks for pointing out what most people know.

I fully expected it to happen. Not only that but I encouraged people to raise hell until Turbine at least acknowledged that there was an issue. What makes it fantastic is not that they fixed the memory issue, but that they improved the system in the process.

They could of easily and likely cheaper just put a button on the Trait Panel that "despecced" a character or just added code to "despec" the character before applying the new Trait Set. Either of those would have removed the memory problem, that would have been just a fix. That would have left the system clunky but it would have been fixed.

But instead of taking the half assed route they actually stream lined the system a bit and improved some of the functionality. Maybe you don't like it when they improve things, some do.

Anyways, that's it for off topic replies from me, probably lol

Maybe you don't like it when they improve things, some do.

And some are a little more grateful than they ought to be. What a glorious world it would be for the food service industry if everyone was like you. No more worries about long-delayed food or poor quality ingredients. Just a happy customer when they are eventually given the right order after a long wait and lip from the waiter. Don't forget to tip!!

A bit lengthy, but it was written with those who may not be familiar with Quick Bar functions in mind.

I agree, this is great news for those of us who still play LOTRO. I can't really see any downside to it. Thanks for taking the trouble to write that very clear explanation.

And some are a little more grateful than they ought to be. What a glorious world it would be for the food service industry if everyone was like you. No more worries about long-delayed food or poor quality ingredients. Just a happy customer when they are eventually given the right order after a long wait and lip from the waiter. Don't forget to tip!!

See I knew you could get me to post again, lol, good ol' Doro.

If you care to point out any place I said I was grateful, or said thank you or anything like that I'll concede your point. But I know you can't and since I know you're at least intelligent enough to understand liking something is different than being grateful for something I must conclude that you're either trying to troll my thread or attempting to paint in a light that isn't correct.

I'm grateful I've had a fantastic marriage for 25 years and 3 healthy kids.

I think the changes are fantastic.

Fire away.

Once you have it set up, how do you switch between sets?

Do you still have to open the panel, select the other set, confirm it, and exit the panel?

Or can you set up keys to do that?

Once you have it set up, how do you switch between sets?

Do you still have to open the panel, select the other set, confirm it, and exit the panel?

Or can you set up keys to do that?

Honestly War, I didn't check thoroughly if they added a keybind option to swap sets, so I can't say for sure. I didn't see anyone mention it so my guess is they haven't.

That's another thing they should add because opening that damned panel sucks.

I think BR is down now since 12.2 should be out tomorrow, I'll look and update when I can.

Honestly War, I didn't check thoroughly if they added a keybind option to swap sets, so I can't say for sure. I didn't see anyone mention it so my guess is they haven't.

That's another thing they should add because opening that damned panel sucks.

I think BR is down now since 12.2 should be out tomorrow, I'll look and update when I can.

Agreed about opening the panel.  If they can get rid of that step, it'll be more like what it should have been on day 1.

Thanks for the information.  :)

Thank you for the write-up, Spiteful. It is very informative. :)

Although I will agree with others when saying that this isn't really a "fix" and is something that should have been a part of Helm's Deep when it originally released back in November. I know this issue was brought up during beta by myself and MANY others. I am guessing 12.2 is the last update we will see before Update 13. So I would basically consider 12.2's release date being the actual release of Helm's Deep. What we've been playing to this point is called a "paid beta"...much like what they are doing with Infinite Crisis right now, although I don't think IC will ever make it out of beta.

FFS how convoluted could this get? Seems to me a design by committee.

All I want the system to be able to do is remember my bar set up when I swap between builds. I don't care about "swords and shields". I just want it to work.

Trion has nailed it with Rift

Even Dominos, a 3rd party addon in WoW works.

Why not LOTRO?

Finally, when is someone over there going to learn that I DON'T WANT STANDARD SKILLS TO BE IN THE SAME PLACE FOR EVERY BUILD.

Amateurs.

BTW Elder our Guards no longer look like Christmas Trees with Block and Parry responses, I'm pretty sure it was you I responded to over there that the fix was coming this patch.

Unfortunately a word has to be chosen, the one most people are familiar with in this situation is fix, it's the common usage so it's the one I used. Also the point of a guide is not to get into debates about is it a fix, is it a paid beta etc. The point is to get the information out and to help players. Debates about other issues have a place, just not in a guide, imo.

In debate mode I don't know that I'd even consider 12.2 the actual release for HD, there are still some issues that should have been addressed but haven't been, but again that's another topic.

In debate mode I don't know that I'd even consider 12.2 the actual release for HD, there are still some issues that should have been addressed but haven't been, but again that's another topic.

Yeah, like the Hunter's Heigtened Senses "oversight" fix which we won't see until Update 13. :(

FFS how convoluted could this get? Seems to me a design by committee.

All I want the system to be able to do is remember my bar set up when I swap between builds. I don't care about "swords and shields". I just want it to work.

Trion has nailed it with Rift

Even Dominos, a 3rd party addon in WoW works.

Why not LOTRO?

Finally, when is someone over there going to learn that I DON'T WANT STANDARD SKILLS TO BE IN THE SAME PLACE FOR EVERY BUILD.

Amateurs.

Hmm Bango I don't think you are understanding.

You can set up different layouts including Standard Skills and it will now remember them.

It all is done on one Quick Page (Sword) instead of two.

You can literally have as many setups saved as you have Trait Sets, which I think is 7 max. And each one of those will remember the layout you want for that Trait Set. Your Standard Skills will move also according how you place them for each separate Trait. 

Amateurs, maybe, but the layouts now do exactly what you're saying you want.

EDIT: May be this would be clearer.

Once you load a Trait Set you can place all skills Standard and Traited where you want them. You can do this for every Trait Set you have available. When ever you switch Trait Sets all skills, Traited and Standard, will reload in the way you placed them for that Trait Set.

So when Traited Blue you place Standard Skill X in Quick Slot 10 and when Traited Red you place Standard Skill X in Quick Slot 24 when you switch to Blue Skill X will be in Quick Slot 10 and if you switch to Red it will move to Quick Slot 24.

You can set up different layouts including Standard Skills and it will now remember them.

You can literally have as many setups saved as you have Trait Sets, which I think is 7 max. And each one of those will remember the layout you want for that Trait Set. Your Standard Skills will move also according how you place them for each separate Trait. 

This is how Rift works. Of course Rift has fully developed soul trees with no off spec penalties and real hybrid build possibilites. But at least they copied the hotbar swaps properly now.

EDIT: May be this would be clearer.

Once you load a Trait Set you can place all skills Standard and Traited where you want them. You can do this for every Trait Set you have available. When ever you switch Trait Sets all skills, Traited and Standard, will reload in the way you placed them for that Trait Set.

So when Traited Blue you place Standard Skill X in Quick Slot 10 and when Traited Red you place Standard Skill X in Quick Slot 24 when you switch to Blue Skill X will be in Quick Slot 10 and if you switch to Red it will move to Quick Slot 24.

OK I'll give it a try when it goes live. If it does indeed work then I'll retract my words and eat my forum tights & codpiece :)

But don't get your hopes up!

OK I'll give it a try when it goes live. If it does indeed work then I'll retract my words and eat my forum tights & codpiece :)

But don't get your hopes up!

My only hope is that you wash them first!

No way to toggle traits still.

Everything is working correctly.

Would you like some Grey Poupon, Bango :)  Seriously though I hope the quickbars worked out the way you wanted. 

All memory and saving is tied to Quick Page 1 (Shield).

Make sure you are on Quick Page 1 (Shield)

[...]

All of this is done on Quick Page 1 (Sword)

Just a quick question : which one is it ? Sword or Shield ?