LOTROCommunity

Funcom is kill

Dorf

It's an on going investigation dating back two years, while they're charging FC for not having a log of financial records for the period they're mainly investigating certain directors (most of whom aren't with FC any more) who at the time sold large amounts of stock a short while before they announced a drop in profits, what they're doing at the moment is seizing records to ascertain exactly who is responsible and how the were able to do so considering they should have been on a list and unable to sell during that period.

Whether they're guilty of insider trading or not Norway's courts are actually pretty lenient when it comes to these things and the government is on an economical drive to keep companies in business rather than close them down so it's unlikely FC will get much more then a hefty fine and a slap on the wrist, probably nothing that will kill them

Probably unrelated to the operating of the games.

Still sad, though. They are one of the MMO companies that are more leaning to the side of giving the customers what they want. I hope no harm comes to them.

So I just read the article, and I have to say I'm surprised a Forbes article could be so inaccurate. For example, they say that the Lead Developer for TSW was laid off with half of the company's staff in the wake of disappointing sales. That's simply not true. Ragnar Tournquist stepped down to Creative Director (overseeing the overall story), so he could work on the next Dreamfall game as well, and Joel Bylos took over as Lead Developer. It was the Lead Developers for Age of Conan and Anarchy Online who were displaced in the lay-off, and Joel was given their duties as the Lead Dev for all three games now.

The insider trading issue was their former CEO's doing, and he was tossed out on his ear by the board of directors the day TSW launched, because of his shady dealings. If there have been further financial shenanigans, I expect they will fall back on that dude, and not on the company as a whole. It would make little sense for Funcom to dump that CEO on Launch Day for TSW (which was a major PR hit, and hurt sales of the game in the months that followed launch), if they were also complicit with such dirty dealings.

So I just read the article, and I have to say I'm surprised a Forbes article could be so inaccurate. For example, they say that the Lead Developer for TSW was laid off with half of the company's staff in the wake of disappointing sales. That's simply not true. Ragnar Tournquist stepped down to Creative Director (overseeing the overall story), so he could work on the next Dreamfall game as well, and Joel Bylos took over as Lead Developer. It was the Lead Developers for Age of Conan and Anarchy Online who were displaced in the lay-off, and Joel was given their duties as the Lead Dev for all three games now.

The insider trading issue was their former CEO's doing, and he was tossed out on his ear by the board of directors the day TSW launched, because of his shady dealings. If there have been further financial shenanigans, I expect they will fall back on that dude, and not on the company as a whole. It would make little sense for Funcom to dump that CEO on Launch Day for TSW (which was a major PR hit, and hurt sales of the game in the months that followed launch), if they were also complicit with such dirty dealings.

I agree, I think at worst case scenario they will be hit with a fine for not maintaining adequate financial records, 99% of it falls squarely on the ex-CEO's shoulders (as well as a few directors who are also being investigated) and if any serious action is taken it will be on him.

From TFA: "The company is currently developing the licensed MMO LEGO Minifigures Online."

Chaos help us all. Is that even a thing? LEGO minifigures Online? WTF?

Yup and Funcom is at least verbally, putting quite a lot of hope in this project.

Funcom is not really doing that good from what I can read.   AoC AFAIK business performance was far from expectations and TSW release performance put Funcom almost on brink of collapse.   Stock tanking super hard,  CEO accused of insider trading,   2 round of layoffs,   severe restructurization of whole company,   talks and deal made with debt owners  (propably because Funcom was not able to repay), one of key employee changing from project leader to 'consulting' and forming it's own company,   information to investors that Funcom will look for diffrent source of income and no word of any big mmorpg project and so on. 

Here's hoping it gets resolved quickly. The MMO industry needs companies such as Funcom more than it needs the Turbines of this world...

From TFA: "The company is currently developing the licensed MMO LEGO Minifigures Online."

Chaos help us all. Is that even a thing? LEGO minifigures Online? WTF?

Are you really sure we need Funcom more than we need Turbine, Bango?

I mean, LEGO Minifigures Online?

Seriously, wtf?!?!?!

Also, Age of Conan could've been a lot better. Sadly, it's just an awful game.

Seriously, wtf?!?!?!

I'm a huge Lego fan. I'd certainly give it a go lol!

Never tried AOC. I love The Secret World, its story and design are sublime but I can not play it as I find it too difficult solo. I think that is the main thing that has contributed to The Secret World not catching on. I imagine many people get to the point where the game becomes incredibly difficult solo and give up like I did. It's like the mirror image mistake of Turbine. 

Hope the company does not close as I think The Secret World is the most innovative mmo out there at the moment, just a shame it's too difficult for me. 

Seriously, wtf?!?!?!

Yes. At least with TSW they've tried something innovative. Also when it comes to customer engagement they're miles ahead of Turbine. 

As for lego minifigures, never heard of that before. Will have a butchers at it later.