LOTROCommunity

Which would you prefer?

The MMO Troll

30 members have voted

1. 1. If LotR were to be faithfully remade in some media, would you prefer it as...

• A miniseries for television
    • A series of theatrical films
    • A radio-play series
    • Videogame (MMORPG or otherwise)
    • Other

If someone were able to remake the LotR books in some other media, and were to do it completely faithful to the books (cutting nothing, adding nothing, and changing nothing), how would you prefer it be done? Perhaps as a series or mini-series on television, as "A Song of Ice and Fire" has been in "Game of Thrones"? Or perhaps as a movie series, only with enough films to include everything? What about an old-style radio-play series? Or maybe something else entirely?

Thoughts?

[EDIT - Adjusted poll to account for a Videogame, which I had not included originally, and should have. Adjust your votes accordingly, if you choose to]

I proapbly would not be really interested in experiencing again Lotr books just in other medium.   Does not seem THAT interesting.

If it had to keep 100% true to the books, then  mmorpg would be especially bad idea imho.

Propably short (~10 x 50 min episodes)  tv-series would be best.  Like I said though.  Lotr peroid is something I already know well, and I would not really be that interested on re-experiencing that again.

===================

I would be much more interested in "faithful to Middle-Earth world"  sandbox or sandpark mmorpg that would be set up in diffrent time frame.   Like Silmarillon times or some other.      Then it would have potential to be interesting while staying faithful to Middle-Earth world.

I'd like the TV miniseries. I don't think a radio series could be much better than the one the BBC did.

Can you clarify? A miniseries is how long? The movies we have are already 12 hours which is more than a miniseries :)

Personally what I would want is a 12-book printed edition with more detail.

Yes, less of the "mini" :-P

I'd probably like a tv series but would not want it to stick exactly to the books as I find some parts of them cringe worthy, especially Fatty Bolger. I do not want to see Hobbits bathing together thank you very much! The 50 year gap before anything is done about the Ring saps all tension and urgency in my opinion. And Aragorn taking the Hobbits to the most prominent hill on the landscape and then lighting a fire is ridiculous however Tolkien tries to explain it. I think if it did stick exactly to the books it would be a flop as people would laugh at certain incredulous plot points and would feel no empathy for the cardboard cut-out, cold and up-them-self characters. Aragorn comes across as an arrogant, full-of-himself man in the books and I always cringe at the end when he has Merry and Pippin serving at the feast - to the book version of Aragorn the members of the fellowship were never equal.

Jackson's changes were not all bad in my opinion and many were necessary. Although I do concede some were awful.

Can you clarify? A miniseries is how long? The movies we have are already 12 hours which is more than a miniseries :)

Personally what I would want is a 12-book printed edition with more detail.

in american television something is considered  a mini-series ( or serial as it was one called back in the day ) if it is at least 2 episodes and does not last more then 13 weeks (a half season block).

now an episode can be of any length from 30min to 2 hours or so....and there is no hard rule that only one episode can be shown in a weeks time.

so to do it proper i think 13 two hour episodes would be the minimum....better yet....up to 26 two hour eps over the 13 weeks with say 3 hour premier and finale.

for example : War and Remembrance ('88-'89) was 1620minutes long spread out over 12 eps at ~135minutes each.

Video game.  I think the before things went to crap LOTRO proved they could make an awesome game from the IP.  I believe that at some point in the distant future, once the current MMO funk is over and LOTRO is a long forgotten memory, a decent LOTRO game will emerge.

I would love to see a mini-series but not of the 3rd age, but rather a few mini-series covering different stories from The Silmarillion

that would almost have to be a full-fledged series running for years to cover it all...lol

Have you tried the BBC version from the 1980s with Ian Holm as Frodo? It is very well done.

That BBC version is a good recording.

I also enjoy listening to the unabridged audiobooks read by Rob Inglis.

There's also an excellent unabridged audiobook of the Silmarillion

http://youtu.be/YIfPWXY70to

I don't usually like fan-made versions, but there is one guy on YouTube who has taken the music/sounds from the movies and added them to the mostly unabridged reading of the novels. He does a nice job with the voices as well. http://youtu.be/T1Rt_usiJgo

MMO - or game, because you can spend many more hours exploring the world. But I have no interest in a version like LOTRO - been there, done that. Lotro is good enough for me to explore THAT version. And honestly, not once playing Lotro did I ever feel like I was in the LOTR world. A cool world, yes. Middle Earth, not at all. Moria of course is nothing at all like the Moria in the book. Same with the Shire, Bree, weathertop. Not at all (to me) like they are in the books. Just a vaguely related, very limited interpretation. Maybe the shire is the closest as an interpretation in a video game sort of way.

MMO - or game, because you can spend many more hours exploring the world. But I have no interest in a version like LOTRO - been there, done that. Lotro is good enough for me to explore THAT version. And honestly, not once playing Lotro did I ever feel like I was in the LOTR world. A cool world, yes. Middle Earth, not at all. Moria of course is nothing at all like the Moria in the book. Same with the Shire, Bree, weathertop. Not at all (to me) like they are in the books. Just a vaguely related, very limited interpretation. Maybe the shire is the closest as an interpretation in a video game sort of way.

That's exactly how I feel about LOTRO; I have never felt like it is truly Middle-earth. I especially dislike the game's version of Rivendell - it just seems so pedestrian to me and I was shocked at how unlike the book Moria in game was.

I think SOE or Arenanet might have the stuff to really make Middle Earth vast and explorable.  LOTRO was a pretty cool tour for a time before it came off the rails.  I don't, in an MMO, really want it to be completely authentic or strictly adhering to the lore...it's a game and has to function well as such.  

I was also thinking of a War and Remembrance style, epic length portrayal of Tolkien's work.

Regarding the television option, I meant either a miniseries or regular series, whichever you prefer. Some might think a "Roots"-like handful of two-hour miniseries episodes would work, others (like myself) might prefer an HBO series based on the trilogy, with each book spanning one, 10 episode season (like GoT).