LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Trilwych

Budgie Week promo event

Here's a player-made guide for the promo event (NOT a "world event"):

Basic points:

There are a max 3 dailies for this event (unless Trion adds more with the upcoming 2.6 patch, but I wouldn't count on that). If you're not level 48 and can't get to the Storm Legion starter areas (Tulan and Tuldio Retreat main cities outside the main entrances), you can only do one. You can't do the other faction's daily in the faction starter areas. The dailies are simple obstacle races, and I completed them all with over a minute to spare every time; don't worry about mobs since they're flagged neutral when you do a race.

The amount of birdseed currency you get if you do all three dailies for the short period of this promo event is nowhere near enough to barter for the Budgie mount.

If you do all 3 dailies, you complete a one-time achievement that earns you a free Budgie Trove. Inside the RNG box is a CHANCE at the new Budgie mount, and definitely includes a few other things like gear/currencies, and a small number of birdseed.

24lpnjl.jpg

Birdseed is character-bound.

Trion has stated that this promo event will reappear in the future, so if you only want to barter for it eventually using dailies, do the quests and wait.

You can buy via credits (using cash or buying REX using in-game plat) the Budgie troves for more chances and the guaranteed small number of birdseed (less than 10) that would allow for a future barter if the RNG doesn't agree with you. Generally not recommended, though the REX route is better than the cash route. Unless you're stinking rich, in which case you're not my friend. Go away.

Meanwhile, on my 60 warrior I got currencies and destroyed a trinket. My 60 mage got a big dungeon-level trinket upgrade along with currencies, so that was nice. I'm not opening the trove on my rogue alt until she's 60, as the stuff in there is supposed to scale to level. I'm personally not bothering with the budgie mount because I much prefer the armoured Ember Isle chocobo---I mean, strider. There are already reports on the forums about how some players have spent $$$ trying to win the RNG lotto for the budgie bird, but really now...

Enjoy the free stuff. :P

I'm not a fan of these Trove-only mounts. My wife wants the Budgie, but she doesn't have the time to grind the dailies, nor the cash to buy Troves and hope the RNG is kind that day. I would prefer they have an option to buy the mount outright in the Store, so we could judge whether or not it was worth the price. Others could try to get it cheaper via a lucky Trove, or grind dailies if they wanted.

I don't care for them either... I'm sure it actually gets Trion a bit of cash, hitting that gambler mentality really hard, but it also has a tendency to create a negative vibe over the actual event and elicit permanent grudges from people who gambled and didn't "win." In terms of profit, I think the best approach would be for Trion to add such mounts as "limited edition" like they did before, and then the rest of the time it's RNG-tastic from the troves. Or put the super special mounts into the store for high credits, and you get a discount depending on how much you grind the birdseed during the actual event. Or something. A related problem is that the other bonuses in the troves aren't necessarily bonuses for the character.

I think the feedback about the mech week event seems to have carried over, and generally this "promotional event" (not a "world event") has been better received than previously. At least with these troves, there's some guaranteed birdseed. Not reasonably enough (I think requiring no more than 2-3 of the same repeated promo event would be okay but that depends heavily on how often this thing will pop).

The trove events are just "do once" for me. The races were fun for a bit, at least. Meanwhile, I'm wondering what Trion will do with the Carnival of the Ascended that's coming up. A friend and I started Rift last year in the middle of the event and had no idea what was going on so we ended up skipping it. :P

Daglar says:

I'd expect we'll run this enough times in a year to get one for free if you participate in all of them.