LOTROCommunity
Ifreborn

Anyone play The Secret World

I need a guild. 

I am shocked this MMO is not more popular.  It blows LOTRO out of the water.

Yeah we have quite a number of LoTRO converts to TSW from our kinship.

My TSW Cabal (Army of Tw0) is actively recruiting Illuminati, but cabal choice does depend a fair bit on play-style - and timezone.

I also know of a number of good Dragon and Temp cabals if you are of that persuasion, or alternative Illuminati variants.  Feel free to PM me here or hit me up in game - main character name there is Elal.

And yes, I love TSW.  I love that I die a lot.  I love that there is actual challenge (at least until you outgear everything massively, but even then mechanics can and will get you).  I love that it isn't cookie-cutter or 100% linear story.

I would love it even more if there were more development resources and so more content, but you always consume faster than it can be produced.

Lots of things blow LoTRO out of the water, what is amazing is so many still don't realize it :D

It started to get a little repetitive and grindy for me, and I found fewer people in the landscape to do things with. Probably zones have peaks and valleys though and I just hit some valleys. Some of the puzzle stuff really stumped me, because I was never sure if I had clicked something correctly or not, or just got it wrong. That symbol on the floor in an early zone is a PITA to hit the right character for instance, and you have no idea if you actually chose what you thought you did.

Lots of the interface seemed to need polish like that, but it works overall. If it were more crowded it would be better.

I've had the game since release but am ashamed to say I find it too difficult and do not play it anymore. I can't even complete basic quests on the second part of the Island where the fairground is : (  Wish I could because I do love the game. It's just the mobs annihilate me lol. 

It's a very good game, and is unjustly only partially successful. I dip in every now and then.

It IS very difficult compared to other MMOs though. Even soloing. It must be that people find that offputting.

It IS very difficult compared to other MMOs though. Even soloing. It must be that people find that offputting.

I think it's:

1. Combat and animations - especially combat animations

2. Limited in initial customization and hard-to-make preety characters - in beta and early post release.  I know they did work on it later on, but damage was done already.

3. People disappointed on what type of game TSW is.   Funcom kept it in dark and there were MANY people that did not expect TSW to give that strong single player / co-op feel and so little mmo / world feel.  

4. High system requirements and bad optimalization.

5. Other mmorpg's releasing around time TSW released.

6. Funcom bad rep.

All that could have been avoided,  easiest one would be nr. 3  - by simply informing (and spinning it in positive way) players what kind of game it is going to be.

Difficulty might have turned off some folks, but I think other things had much bigger impact.

PS. I do have TSW copy / account, but not installed atm.

It's a very good game, and is unjustly only partially successful. I dip in every now and then.

I think that could be one of the main reasons yes. I'm not the greatest game player in the world but I am not the worst either and I have level capped characters in quite a few mmos, but I can not play The Secret World solo for the life of me. I think it is probably too easy to mess your build up in that game. Also I am not the kind of person who likes experimenting with builds too much - I just want to pick my skills and go.

I think you guys just have a bad build.   You can make some really unplayable builds and some op builds.  I am sword and hammer right now with a mix of healing and damage gear.  I have 2 o shit skills equipt that are on 30s and 45s cool down one almost fully heals me and one gives me a lot of healing and reduces damage by a tone.

you cant just do a straight up damage build you need healing 2 as a solo.

I also find the double tap dogging fun and interactive.  You guys no you can double tap a direction to dodge?  

I pick up TSW every so often. Played it quite a bit when it was released and did a few Polaris runs. As well as the fantastic story telling, overall atmosphere, difficulty levels and the high degree of build customisation, what I also enjoy is that I can play the game at my own pace. I've only just gone into the blue mountains because I wanted to make sure I had sufficient dps and leach healing to survive. 

The only downside is that the combat can be a little spammy. On some fights where I'm AOE'ing the crap out of a pack of mobs with my blade can be almost RSI-inducing. But that's a minor irritant in the scheme of things.

Anyone fed up with lotro should buy this game.

another thing im liking  is the quest givers.  They all have such interesting stories and its all done with cut scenes and voice overs.

You will cry when you go back and play lotro,  it will feel so dated and cheep.

TSW is a great game with a bad system for building/gearing your toon. Repeatedly grinding the same content over and over just to be able to not die in the next zone is bad game design. I play it until I'm tired of the same zone then move on, just to come back at a future time. I would probably play it this weekend, but I think I will be playing a GW trial.

TSW is a great game with a bad system for building/gearing your toon. Repeatedly grinding the same content over and over just to be able to not die in the next zone is bad game design. I play it until I'm tired of the same zone then move on, just to come back at a future time. I would probably play it this weekend, but I think I will be playing a GW trial.

This.

I love TSW, I really do! I've been waiting forever for a great, story-driven horror MMORPG, and TSW totally fits the bill. Unfortunately, it has two big flaws:

1) You have to grind content over and over to be able to survive the following zone

2) Egypt. I freaking HATE that zone!

Now, with that in mind, I still play TSW and I have no intention to stop. I would really love to see Funcom flesh out the zones more with additional content, so we don't have to repeat a zone over and over again to get ahead, and I would like to see a serious reworking of the Egypt zone in its entirety. It simply isn't fun.

This.

I love TSW, I really do! I've been waiting forever for a great, story-driven horror MMORPG, and TSW totally fits the bill. Unfortunately, it has two big flaws:

1) You have to grind content over and over to be able to survive the following zone

2) Egypt. I freaking HATE that zone!

Now, with that in mind, I still play TSW and I have no intention to stop. I would really love to see Funcom flesh out the zones more with additional content, so we don't have to repeat a zone over and over again to get ahead, and I would like to see a serious reworking of the Egypt zone in its entirety. It simply isn't fun.

Ugh, I had just started Egypt when I went back to the 3 zones before to "toughen up." I hate hearing that the whole zone is like this. Is Transylvania any better?

Ugh, I had just started Egypt when I went back to the 3 zones before to "toughen up." I hate hearing that the whole zone is like this. Is Transylvania any better?

I have no idea, as I can't drag myself to finish up Egypt to move on. It's just so damn painful! Don't get me wrong, there is good things about Egypt, but it is not nearly as fun as Solomon Island was, and that is a serious downer. Then couple in the vastly increased difficulty of some parts of Egypt (everything going fine then ABSOLUTE SLAUGHTER PLEASE TRY AGAIN PLEB!), and it makes me not want to log in anymore. I'd rather just play "Rift" instead, even if I'm missing out on the superior story in TSW.

Funnily enough I've just started duoing this with an old LOTRO buddy of mine two nights a week.  It's certainly fun and interesting, but whilst it's worth the price of entry to play it through as some of the stories and gameplay is quite cool, I don't think I'd play it seriously.

I think playing it the way we do with two people probably helps a great deal.  I'm assault rifle healing so we haven't really run in to anything to slow us down yet.

Changing strategies between zones is an essential part of the game play in TSW.

I've run through Solomon Island and Egypt solo - I had some lessons to learn but it is doable.

I've done very limited repeating of quests but I do all the quests I can find in a zone before moving forward.

when i got to Egypt i had t8 weapon and talismans through standard leveling.   i bought cheap t8 gear on the ah and have a mix of healing and damage gear.  Also i have a lot of skills and traits that reduce damage and heal.  I did not have to go back grid or do quests more than 1 time.

I think it all comes down to how you spend your points.  if you generalize a bunch of weapons it is like playing 4 or more alts on 1 toon and you will need to play the the content a number of times to accomplish this.   if you just pick a main weapon and a off weapon and highly spec one weapon and your talismans you can play through content once.

The game provides a tone of freedom and you have to make hard choices.  Spec early then when you have a strong build mid Egypt and Transylvania  you can pick up other weapons.

here is a great build.  i use a similar one with more sword skills than hammer as I started with more points in sword.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it1afe6imL8

I call BS on anyone saying they have done a zone 1 time and moved on and had no trouble in the next zone. I've been playing since closed beta and always picked a pair of weapons and stuck with them, always with heals and survival in mind. You either aren't solo or you aren't being completely honest.

Woah.

There is no way that I am going to do *all* the quests in some of those zones. My IQ is low enough as it is :)

Woah.

There is no way that I am going to do *all* the quests in some of those zones. My IQ is low enough as it is :)

They have a browser built into the game.  They mix the real world and the game world and expect you to google things.  You could also cheat with google :P

I have to admit I have a couple times. although I try and work things out on my own.