LOTROCommunity
Ifreborn

Anyone play The Secret World

Since Wildstar turned out to be a complete crap (for me) i'm again looking for something else before i will go back to EVE ;)

Looking at the posts here  i think i'm ready to get TSW.

Just had one question: are there servers like in most other games or is it just one mega server like in EVE? If there are different servers, is there one particular one where most of the former/still active LOTRO players hang around? :)

Oh and one more very important thing for me: is there PvP in TSW?

There are several servers, but all activities are cross-server (PvE-, PvP-grouping, etc.). No problem to play with a friend from any other server. (I should have mentioned this above).

Some servers are designated for RP, although I'm not sure if there is something 'strict' about that. Arcadia is one of the most popular servers. Just be careful with the server choice in terms of official language (there are German and French too).

I have no idea where would the most of ex-lotro players be. But this is not an issue due to the cross-server tech.

There is PvP which I haven't tried because I was never too much into it (in general, not in TSW only). Probably it has the usual balancing issues and since the game is 'level-less' and you can jump into the mess right from the beginning (almost), perhaps there is some frustration over better equipped players zapping you fast. The rewarding is a bit interesting - depending on which faction dominates the playfield they accumulate the reward tokens at different speed, but the loosing guys also get a bit of them. Just participating, regardless of outcome, offers some incentive. Whether you'll like the PvP I can't know. Perhaps you could dig in the forums a bit, before making the final decision.

One important point is the division of all players into 3 factions that are 'rival'. You make the choice when creating your character and it's set in stone (for that character). A cabal (= 'kinship') can be composed only of members from the same faction, although people sometimes organize 3 cabals with common chat, in order to have players from all factions (the so called 'cross-faction' cabals, as mentioned by Silirien in the beginning of this page). PvP is always faction(s) vs. faction(s). There are 3 battlezones with different gameplay/rules.

Progressing in PvP can provide you with nice gear, just as progressing in PvE group content.

For PvE grouping there is no faction limitation - you can do instances with players from all factions. The same of course applies for landscape questing. This is nice immersion point: against the terrible common evil you help each other out, while kicking each other butts at the PvP grounds.

Lots of good info here - thanks for posting to everyone :)

One thing, I am finding the game a bit... not quite boring per say.... but sort of a bit tiresome for the mob variety so far is so uniform.  Granted I have only been in Kingsmouth so far but... is the whole game like all zombies?   They seem to be everywhere, lol.

Kingsmouth actually has 2 kinds of "zombies" ;)

But to answer your question: no, it is not only about zombies, you will come across some new mob types even just in the next zone and boy from your first meeting, you will miss the old good walkers..!

There are demons, ghouls, mummies, fauna (and flora) wanting to kill you, people, people with tentacles, robots, vampires, djins, werewolves and so on... Plenty of different stuff to kill :)

So far 15 of my LotRO kin have come over and only one has been disappointed, and that has more to do with them preferring a more standard MMO Questing style and not really liking research and puzzles. We're getting ready for a second wave to try TSW since we had a "post-move" Kin meeting last night.

TSW pretty much is my MMO of choice these days, and has been for quite a while.  However, due to some of their financial issues, I haven't played as much since I "finished" the main story a while ago.  I'll toss out a few thoughts and ideas here, and for those who have questions feel free to DM me or reach out on twitter.

TSW is a hard game, and they really don't make any apologies for it.  I love the game for this exact reason, I actually have to stop and think while playing.  And I'm not just talking about the investigation missions - which I fully admit I do more often then not "cheat" on.  Combat and build creation can be quite challenging and as such there are very easy ways to create a "broken" character.  They did realize this and finally tried to put in some example builds to give people some ideas, but the system is very vast and flexible, which if you don't really dive deep into it, you can have issues.

One big thing to keep in mind, active abilities you obviously need the weapon equipped to use, but that doesn't apply for passive abilities.  So you can slot passive abilities from other weapons and still get their benefits.

For me, there have been 3 severe spikes in the difficulty curve between zones - Blue Mountains, Transylvania, and now Tokyo.  The first one, I just didn't really know what I was doing so I started looking at synergies and how they play out.  So I did go back a bit to get some more abilities to make my character more well rounded.  For Transylvania I was getting absolutely pounded so I moved over to a more survivable build.  And now with Tokyo, I haven't had the chance to see what I'm doing wrong yet, although I believe rust is a quite possible explanation.

As for my build, I don't know what I switched to in the Blue Mountains, but I was running a blade/blood combination for a while to do AoE damage with shields and heals to compliment.  I play my character more or less as I played my LOTRO Warden.  I'm now running blade/rifle as I am getting decent healing with some better damage output.

For me, I do really enjoy TSW but I also know it isn't a game for everyone and you should know what you're getting yourself into before jumping in and getting overly frustrated.

Kingsmouth actually has 2 kinds of "zombies" ;)

But to answer your question: no, it is not only about zombies, you will come across some new mob types even just in the next zone and boy from your first meeting, you will miss the old good walkers..!

There are demons, ghouls, mummies, fauna (and flora) wanting to kill you, people, people with tentacles, robots, vampires, djins, werewolves and so on... Plenty of different stuff to kill :)

And Ak'ab.  You will definitely miss zombies once you start running into these.

And Ak'ab.  You will miss zombies once you start running into these.

A'Kab suck. I want to be able to take the flamethrower you get in Kingsmouth and burn down the forests those fucking things infest!

A'Kab suck. I want to be able to take the flamethrower you get in Kingsmouth and burn down the forests those fucking things infest!

Yes, they are quite annoying. :/

Agreed.  But, they were the thing that got me to really focus on how all the various elements of my build interact, and learn how to make better choices of active and passive abilities.  I do still hate them though.

Went to Polaris last night just to check it out. None of us have our specs quite where we want them with only the "tank" and me ("healer") past the Inner Wheel, and and all of us avg QL3 Green gear with some QL4 Blues mixed in. Plus we were one short.

So the 4 of us went 4/6 bosses. We had an awesome time even getting our asses handed to us on Boss 5. We got him down to about half once we finally figured out the basic mechanics but I'm pretty sure we were DPS light as it seems he ramps up attacks and adds the longer the fight goes on.

Awesome fight on Boss 3, I think, where the tank and one dps died and me and the other dps finished him off after finding a kite pattern to keep him from getting hit enough so I could keep him alive.

Also found one of the coolest features ever. Well for me, maybe it's in other games I haven't played, but if you die, at the rez point you get a new UI feature that lets you repair, leave the instance (basic stuff) or actually watch the fight via a camera.

It's a pretty well done Instance with the first 4 Bosses easily farmable to gear up for the DPS check at Boss 5. Can't wait to see the final Boss who I imagine will require some decent coordination and DPS considering the mechanics we've seen so far. Also looking forward to the Elite and Nightmare versions as well as the other instances.

A group of us went in to Polaris the other night and filled our last spot with a pug. All went really well up until the final boss.. as we didn't know about blue phase. :P But we did learn quite harshly that gear is quite important. The last boss really exposed that our friend that was healing, didn't have healing gear. Skills alone won't cut it. :P Luckily we were able to craft him some gear in the instance and the pug we'd picked up was friendly, knowledgeable and helpful.

It was a fun dungeon. I liked the bit where you thought it was over, but nope! :P

I'm also glad I read this thread and heard about how important builds are. If I hadn't, I think I'd be having a pretty difficult and not fun time in game right now. I tried starting out with an elemental/focus starter deck that the game has, but it became apparent early on that things were going to get painful when I needed to solo more than one mob (was fine if my boyfriend was there with me.) So I did quickly move over to a blade/fist survival build, first a 60AP one and now have a 400AP one. It's amazing the difference it makes (I can't imagine how badly the final solo instance in the carnival grounds would have gone with my old build :P Well, I suppose I can... I would have gone *SQUISH* fairly soon. :P). We dipped into the Blue Mountains to make a run for the QL6 weapons and the mobs we found on the way seemed just as easy as the previous area. So I think we've at least got ourselves a decent start and foundation! Though I think the double AP has definitely made things more easy. I suppose we started playing at a fortuitous time. :P

I'm really enjoying things not being a faceroll. Though, I sort of think too much emphasis is on your deck and less on your actual skill. I'm not sure I agree with it being possible to make a deck that is impossible to progress at all with. Like, in Lotro if you wanted to go out and solo as an Ancient Master Loremaster (I'm talking the game's earlier difficulty levels as well), more power to you. It's gonna take you forever and be harder, but not impossible.

I also think the cutscenes are really well done, plus most of the stories good. The only think I'm missing is some closure at the end of them. Sometimes I'm left with the "well what did we just do that for?" feeling. Going back to the NPCs and perhaps resolving things would have been nice.

We're also trying our best to not cheat on the investigation quests, but sometimes that's not possible. Sometimes even after we've looked up the answer, I'm like.. that makes no sense, how in the hell did anyone figure that out!? :P (like seriously.. you expect me to decipher Morse Code???) But it's really satisfying when we manage a whole quest with no cheating!

It's a great game though. Definitely having lots of fun!

Also don't forget the cinematics inside the instances - awesome feature. Another good thing about these is that, as 'rigid' movies they may be, but they actually show your character (and the other players, if it's an instance cinematic) dressed as you actually are in the moment.

If you guys need sometimes to fill a spot in those early instances don't hesitate to /tell (char name: Yorima). I can't tank for squat, but for dps (or healing in normal difficulty) there is no problem. Will gladly help when needed.

Do they have a cosmetic system by now?

When I played TSW for a bit it really bothered me having to go back to literally looking random based on whatever armor I have to wear for stats.

Do they have a cosmetic system by now?

When I played TSW for a bit it really bothered me having to go back to literally looking random based on whatever armor I have to wear for stats.

"Armour" has no stats. You can wear whatever you want. Weapons do have stats so are a little more limited, but there are ways to modify the skins for them too.

I must have mentally mixed up games from when I was trying to find a lotro replacement. Sounds good then :)

The only think I'm missing is some closure at the end of them. Sometimes I'm left with the "well what did we just do that for?" feeling. Going back to the NPCs and perhaps resolving things would have been nice.

TSW does not give you much closure. Answer to each question spawns 10 more secrets... which I personally find awesome. Have you checked the Lore subforum forum on the official forums? Okay maybe that';s not a good idea until you get deeper into the world but let me just say that I've spent past 2 weeks researching kimonos further than I had before because there's that mysterious character that wears one that makes you think... and it's like that with almost everything in this game..!

Some minute detail in a side quest from first zone might very well shed light on a very obscure detail in main story 5 zones later. This adds a whole new level to repeating quests - however unfortunately up until Tokyo that is not possible for main missions ;(

So yes, if you want closure, you will probably have to look for one on your own, and it might take you to some very, very dark places.

So I did quickly move over to a blade/fist survival build, first a 60AP one and now have a 400AP one. It's amazing the difference it makes (I can't imagine how badly the final solo instance in the carnival grounds would have gone with my old build :P Well, I suppose I can... I would have gone *SQUISH* fairly soon. :P).

After bashing my head against the wall multiple times in that instance with a Fist/Blood build, I eventually figured things out and went Blade/Fist. Life is sooooooo much better when you have survivability and can actually do a bit of DPS!

Anyone know, if i order the game from this link: https://register.thesecretworld.com/signup/ctrl/register/pl/tsw/TSW-ORDER#registerTop do i get the full and most up to date version of the game or will i still have to pay for some expansions etc. that were introduced since launch?

On steam the offer ir priced exactly the ame so i assume this what i should get?

I'm asking because on Steam there is also The black Signal which is priced the same but looks to me like an update that i should buy separately. If so than i'm not going to buy the game i'm afraid. 50,00 € is just too much for me for this game.

Thank for reply.

TSW does not give you much closure. Answer to each question spawns 10 more secrets... which I personally find awesome. Have you checked the Lore subforum forum on the official forums? Okay maybe that';s not a good idea until you get deeper into the world but let me just say that I've spent past 2 weeks researching kimonos further than I had before because there's that mysterious character that wears one that makes you think... and it's like that with almost everything in this game..!

Some minute detail in a side quest from first zone might very well shed light on a very obscure detail in main story 5 zones later. This adds a whole new level to repeating quests - however unfortunately up until Tokyo that is not possible for main missions ;(

So yes, if you want closure, you will probably have to look for one on your own, and it might take you to some very, very dark places.

I got chills... I want it on sale now!

Anyone know, if i order the game from this link: https://register.thesecretworld.com/signup/ctrl/register/pl/tsw/TSW-ORDER#registerTop do i get the full and most up to date version of the game or will i still have to pay for some expansions etc. that were introduced since launch?

On steam the offer ir priced exactly the ame so i assume this what i should get?

I'm asking because on Steam there is also The black Signal which is priced the same but looks to me like an update that i should buy separately. If so than i'm not going to buy the game i'm afraid. 50,00 € is just too much for me for this game.

Thank for reply.

The base game should cost around EUR 30.   This includes Issues #1-4.   (The expansions/updates are called Issues in TSW.)

They have also released Issues #5-9 (Issue #9 was released just a few weeks ago).  They have to be bought extra.   I think there are also one or two extra mission packs that can be bought extra, but those are pretty much optional. 

I believe there are also some bundle that includes some of the extra issues, and that at least issue #9 is available both in a standard version and in a 'Collectors Edition' that includes some extra fluff that is not really needed for anything except looking cool.  Check carefully exactly what it is you buy.

You do not need any of the extra content to start playing - it only becomes relevant further into the game.

(The reason Issues 1-4 are included in the base game is that those were the Issues already released when the game switched from a subscription-based model to buy-2-play.)