LOTROCommunity

Winter is Coming (back)!

Palpatine

I still can't see the problem. Ramsay's psychotic, the precedent is already set, and much worse things have been done to people in that show. But for some reason this brief, off-camera moment has kicked up more of a storm than, say, Theon getting tortured and having his fucking dick cut off. Or a girl getting torn apart by dogs. Or a man having his skull crushed. Or a pregnant woman getting repeatedly stabbed. Or (and this should be the biggest one), Daenerys getting absolutely rammed by a giant with a braid all on camera!

My understanding is that people liked how they were starting to make Sansa a strong character who has had to deal with so much and is now starting to understand how the game is played and is playing it well, but this sets back all the character development over the series so far.

For me it just demonstrates that she is still way out of her depth and needs Littlefinger to protect her, even though he is only using her to further his own plans.

• Upvote 1

For me it just demonstrates that she is still way out of her depth and needs Littlefinger to protect her, even though he is only using her to further his own plans.

Not to mention it shows the whole Theon/Sansa relationship. He was in pieces watching what happened and she hates him because she thinks he killed her brothers. But he's too traumatised and scared to even tell her the truth.

I like the idea that Theon and Sansa may grow closer, what with what happened with Jeyne Poole and Theon escaping together.

And there was a brief moment where I thought Ramsay would genuinely not harm Sansa (like she was 'out of reach'), but it looks like the minute they got hitched he showed his true colours. I should have realised the minute they said they were going to be married that he was going to go the way of the books.

Before/After picture for those who watched todays episode: http://imgur.com/a/wGWCO

Well, we saw some action in this episode. I wonder about this GRRM quote

The battle between Good and Evil is a theme of much of fantasy. But I think the battle between Good and Evil is fought largely within the individual human heart, by the decisions that we make. It’s not like evil dresses up in black clothing and you know, they’re really ugly. These are some of the things that Tolkien did; he made them work fabulously, but in the hands of his imitators, they become total clichés. I mean the orc-like creatures who always do dress in black and... they’re really ugly and they’ve got facial deformities or something. You can tell that if somebody’s ugly, he must be evil. And then Tolkien’s heroes are all very attractive people and all that, of course, again this became cliché in the hands of the Tolkien imitators.

I wonder when we'll see that applied to the Others, so far they seem as much evil as Sauron.

Edited by Elrantiri

That episode was classic Game of Thrones.  It had so much going on and it was all great. The rest of the season will need to go a long way to top that and I have a feeling that it will

​Quite a humdrum episode at first, then BAM! Fucking great episode! How long until we see a giant white walker? I can't wait!

I hate you George R. R. Martin, I hate you Stannis. At this point I'd be happy if the 2 opposing armies in the North were annihilated by the White Walkers. I'm sure this will turn Ser Davos against Stannis.

​It's unclear how much of this you can blame on Martin.  Shireen is not sacrificed this way in the book (at least it hasn't happened yet), rather there is a convoluted plot regarding the child of Mance Raider being swapped with the child of Gilly and taken to Bravos (to save that child from being sacrificed).  I suppose it's possible that once said plot comes to light, Stannis could feel it necessary to sacrifice her.  Perhaps that is where his storyline is leading - but at best the TV show has rushed this.

Davos should not be at Castle Black at all, but rather out searching for Rickon Stark - they cut some interesting stuff he was up to with the Manderlys (Lord "Too Fat To Sit On A Horse"). 

Really, for all the talk of GOT fans quitting the show this season, I have a feeling NEXT episode will take that up a notch.  I'm very interested to see how they handle what's essentially the only remaining cliff hanger from the most recent book for which this episode was named.

One possible solution.....

gpV5Zkl.jpg

Course I am not really sure how, where or why people are gripe-crazy over this season considering the history of the show they should know better by now.  I really am enjoying this year a lot and cannot wait to see what is next.  I understand that they are taking some serious departures from the books, but will happily read them all once the show is over to compare, and have some nice faces in my head to boot :)

I lost a bet >:(

I thought of Shireen as Stannis's humanising factor. His one real source of love in the world and thus important for his character development.

Na!

That red bitch witch talked about killing Shireen but... I did not see it coming.

Stannis and his coward soldiers can be wiped out for all I care. He is as nothing to me!

What a great episode.

I lost a bet >:(

I thought of Shireen as Stannis's humanising factor. His one real source of love in the world and thus important for his character development.

Na!

That red bitch witch talked about killing Shireen but... I did not see it coming.

Stannis and his coward soldiers can be wiped out for all I care. He is as nothing to me!

What a great episode.

​As a book reader, it was just... odd.  In the books, Stannis leaves for Winterfell and quite a big deal is made that he leaves Melisandra behind and DOESN'T sacrifice any king's blood.

I hope this is some sort of pull forward - Shireen IS his humanizing part, but perhaps his arc is to fall and burn that part off.

Apparently G R R Martin told Benioff and Weiss, that he considered killing Shireen, in Dance with Dragons and is likely to kill her in The Winds of Winter.  

​See this is bad form on their part.  Completely changes where Stannis is as a character.

I was waiting for "something" to happen to stop the sacrifice.

​The rage after next episode is going to be amazing.

​See this is bad form on their part.  Completely changes where Stannis is as a character.

​If it is going to happen anyway then it only brings forward the change.  Now it might happen differently in the book.

Also people are upset at Stannis, but lets not forget this is the man who killed his brother.  He is not a nice guy, he is a fundamentalist of the Lord of Light.  He only cares about getting the Iron Throne and will do what ever it takes to make it happen. 

​If it is going to happen anyway then it only brings forward the change.  Now it might happen differently in the book.

Also people are upset at Stannis, but lets not forget this is the man who killed his brother.  He is not a nice guy, he is a fundamentalist of the Lord of Light.  He only cares about getting the Iron Throne and will do what ever it takes to make it happen. 

​I was responding to this specifically:

Apparently G R R Martin told Benioff and Weiss, that he considered killing Shireen, in Dance with Dragons and is likely to kill her in The Winds of Winter.  

​It's a pretty big break from the book because Stannis makes a BIG deal out of going off to Winterfel without the Red Lord's favor.  He leaves Melissandra behind and makes no sacrifice.  So, at THIS stage of the story he's not the fundamentalist of the Lord of Light.

​I don't think he's a "true believer" of the Lord of Light, his wife is, Melissandra is, but IMO it's just a means to an end to him. If he wins the Iron Throne his first course of action would be to kill Melissandra and his wife. Yes, he killed Renly. but Renly swallowed up support that would have went to Stannis, he was in the way, Shireen was not in the way.