LOTROCommunity

Winter is Coming (back)!

Palpatine

​I don't think he's a "true believer" of the Lord of Light, his wife is, Melissandra is, but IMO it's just a means to an end to him. If he wins the Iron Throne his first course of action would be to kill Melissandra and his wife. Yes, he killed Renly. but Renly swallowed up support that would have went to Stannis, he was in the way, Shireen was not in the way.

​Not sure his wife is any more.  Well Shireen was not in his way, Stannis seen her death as his way to get what he needs to attack Winterfell.  If he was not a true believer he would not think that sacrificing his daughter would do anything.

I guess we will find out next week if the sacrifice got him what he wanted and also what else might it have caused that he nor Melissandra have seen.

I think it did. The preview showed Melisandre pointing at melting icicles and yammering something about the Lord of Light's favor. But the price may have been too high. Davos' reaction aside, I noticed several of the soldiers turning away and wincing as poor little Shireen screamed out her life.

That's a scene I'll never watch again, btw.

This will allow Stannis to get to and attack Winterfell, but at what cost.  I have a feeling that there will be some unintended consequence, something of a magical nature.

One more thing I would like to see in the final episode is Bran.  I know he was not filmed this year, but they could have recorded a short scene last year to show, something to set up the next series 

Wow. It sounds like the TV guys really carried themselves away. Not that it happens w/o Martin's blessing anyway.

At this point of the series, the butterfly effect is seriously accumulating differences but they apparently don't hesitate to push it further. It's fine, as long as they have a logical ending already prepared. Maybe it will be like two separate stories at the end, the books and the series. Just with the same characters.

Well, at this point I guess it's also a matter of Stannis considering her dead already. If they lose the siege of Winterfell (if they even managed to get there at all), Shireen could end up starving to death or being killed by the Boltons (or worse). With her sacrificed there's at least a chance some of them will survive. Leaving her with the Nights Watch isn't much of a choice either, it's a bunch of rapists, murders and wildlings to him.

Edited by Elrantiri

Well, at this point I guess it's also a matter of Stannis considering her dead already. If they lose the siege of Winterfell (if they even managed to get there at all), Shireen could end up starving to death or being killed by the Boltons (or worse). With her sacrificed there's at least a chance some of them will survive. Leaving her with the Nights Watch isn't much of a choice either, it's a bunch of rapists, murders and wildlings to him.

​Ser Davos offered to take Shireen and her crazy mother back to castle black, yet Stannis refused although the onion knight is probably the only friend he has. Since the princess was like a daughter to him, he would have never let anything happen to her either.

When Stannis killed her he also killed what little sanity he had left or what little "good" was left in him. I wouldn't be surprised if he would lose everything in the end and Shireen died for nothing.

​Ser Davos offered to take Shireen and her crazy mother back to castle black, yet Stannis refused although the onion knight is probably the only friend he has. Since the princess was like a daughter to him, he would have never let anything happen to her either.

When Stannis killed her he also killed what little sanity he had left or what little "good" was left in him. I wouldn't be surprised if he would lose everything in the end and Shireen died for nothing.

​Yes but Castle Black is barely a safe haven for women in Stannis' PoV. Nights Watch consists of rapists, murderers etc. and now also wildlings. Night's Watch have repeatedly said they will be neutral in the affairs of the kingdoms. Night's Watch are unable to feed Stannis' army and now got a bunch of wildlings there so food will be scarce and the winter rough. It's not exactly a safe haven for a teenage girl.

Additionally, if Boltons wins against Stannis, there's not much stopping them from going to Castle Black and kill Shireen if they wish.

With that said, Stannis definitely lost sanity/humanity right there.

Edited by Elrantiri

Once I saw Shireen walking toward that pyre I left the room and didn't return until my husband told me that scene was over. 

​No way this was a mercy killing. Burning someone alive is cruel and horribly painful. It was done for power. Only a monster would do something like this to their own child. Personally, I'm looking forward to Daenery's dragons toasting Melisandre. That evil bitch seriously needs to be ended. 

On the other hand, I really enjoyed the ending with Dany, Tyrion and...well you know. :)

Edited by Tinker

Once I saw Shireen walking toward that pyre I left the room and didn't return until my husband told me that scene was over. 

​No way this was a mercy killing. Burning someone alive is cruel and horribly painful. It was done for power. Only a monster would do something like this to their own child. Personally, I'm looking forward to Daenery's dragons toasting Melisandre. That evil bitch seriously needs to be ended. 

On the other hand, I really enjoyed the ending with Dany, Tyrion and...well you know. :)

​I didn't say it was a mercy killing. Only that Stannis already considered Shireen to die regardless of what he'd do, that if he doesn't sacrifice Shireen they'll all die anyway. Burning to death is probably horribly painful, but still a quicker death than e.g. starving or being caught by the Boltons.

As for Melisandre getting burned, I'm fairly sure Melisandre will look to join Dany the moment she sees the dragons. After all, in the books she has the quote "Only a king’s blood can wake the stone dragon" and since Dany hatched dragons from fossilized eggs she's a lot closer to that prophecy than Stannis.

Edited by Elrantiri

Yeah, but she'd have to see the dragons first. Frankly, after Sunday, all I want her to see is a sword blade swinging toward her with Davos behind it.

​Well perhaps, but that's kinda unrelated to to Tinker's "I'm looking forward to Daenery's dragons toasting Melisandre." comment.

I did, but that's because I read the books.

However, it's clear I'm going to have to re-read them. The show has caught up with and passed the books narrative-wise, and I'm no longer sure of what's going on.

Has there ever been anything like this, by the way? A film or TV series based on a series of books that's still being written?

leave I did, but that's because I read the books.

However, it's clear I'm going to have to re-read them. The show has caught up with and passed the books narrative-wise, and I'm no longer sure of what's going on.

Has there ever been anything like this, by the way? A film or TV series based on a series of books that's still being written?

​I remember when the Harry Potter books were still not complete, they were working on movie 5 and the author had them not leave out a character that would end up being important later in the series.

I wonder if Book 6 will come out before the next season starts? (And give people enough time to finish it before the show starts up again.)  It will be really odd otherwise, don't you think?

They left out the entire "Priests of Lord of Light able to bring people back from the dead" bit.

Supposed to happen to one of the characters Ned sent off after the Mountain in season 1.  Also supposed to have happened to Cate Stark.  So they appear to be leaving that entire bit out.

Could be massively spoiling the books, as in the books Melisandre is at the wall NOT with Stannis, and the assumption was  that she would bring Jon back to life. 

However, Kit Harrington has claimed he is out of the show permanently and planning to make some movies.  He cut his hair.

They left out the entire "Priests of Lord of Light able to bring people back from the dead" bit.

Supposed to happen to one of the characters Ned sent off after the Mountain in season 1.  Also supposed to have happened to Cate Stark.  So they appear to be leaving that entire bit out.

​Nope, they did that. The guy Ned sent (Dondarrion or something) was the same guy who fought the Hound with his fire sword when they were caught by the Brotherhood Without Banners. They showed Thoros bringing him back to life after the Hound run him through, and then said he'd done it a few times before.

But it does look like they've scrapped the whole Stoneheart thing.

What the hell.  Who are people going to like now. 

As for him coming back, not happening according to Kit

I reckon it's all bullshit to hide when he does come back. Either way, my girlfriend is now distraught. He was her favourite character and she just sat there sobbing when they killed him.