LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
drul

Another layoffs at Turbine

That must be why they announced essentially nothing for 2014 besides the low-resource zone revamps. I expect this to be brought up on the official forums and either promptly locked/deleted or met with a bunch of slinging, with some more bans handed out. :)

more info on the O forums. someone link the thread there.

someone said that someone said on FB that there were a lot laid off, but not sure about that for now.

"These are always tough decisions, which we don’t approach lightly, but it’s crucial that Turbine is structured in a way that reflects the current and coming marketplace."

Translation:

'We fired anyone who can make MMOs and will replace them with a couple more Zynga staff'.

So it might be as many as 90 people loosing their jobs. Before the last round of cuts towards the end of 2012 Turbine have around 400 staff, so my guess is around 200 left to work on 2 MMOs and 1 MOBA, not including Asheron's Call as I dont think they develop anything for it any more.

This feel thin, sort of stretched, like butter scraped over too much bread

• Upvote 1

I just looked back to be sure. I made a post over a year ago wishing the staff luck when the March 2014 layoffs roll around. Mainly it was QQ over bugs that seriously screwed up my character progression and funds, which I would never get back

It was deleted, because the butthurt was strong. It deserved to be deleted, and to be honest I should have gotten a mark for it, but that didn't happen. But for months it stayed out there, even through the forum revamp.

I was still right.

Sympathies to those affected by the layoffs. I've been laid off before, so I know what it's like, especially at the moment with jobs so scarce.

It's a real shame. Turbine had/have some very talented people working for them. It's unfortunate that management at the company has let them down and failed to provide job security.

So it might be as many as 90 people loosing their jobs. Before the last round of cuts towards the end of 2012 Turbine have around 400 staff, so my guess is around 200 left to work on 2 MMOs and 1 MOBA, not including Asheron's Call as I dont think they develop anything for it any more.

This feel thin, sort of stretched, like butter scraped over too much bread

I think Turbine is working at something else as well. Either tooling or a game (not necessarily by themself, may be in cooperation with other WB studio).

I doubt 300 until recently and 200 now are working only on half-dead old MMOs and a LoL clone MOBA.    If am wrong and you're right then Turbine is a sitting duck for at least total restructurization and those layoffs are just prelude.

Any news on Rick Heaton?

Yeah right.

I don't really fault the devs themselves for the shit that's been handed down lately since stuff like Helm's Deep content and high-level design changes are directives given from the business side of things in project management, but you'd better believe that when layoffs happen, many warts manage to stick on due to their great buttsucking abilities and a bunch of good people are let go in the ruckus. When the Peter Principle is applied to a situation like this, the ones who manage to stay are often the ones who should've been let go first. :/

Maybe Monolith will offer relocation packages with pay cuts? They are going to need someone to explain that spaghetti.

If any of those affected didn't believe they were on borrowed time they just got a tough and painful lesson. I just hope they make the most out of it.

"These are always tough decisions, which we don’t approach lightly, but it’s crucial that Turbine is structured in a way that reflects the current and coming marketplace."

Translation:

'We fired anyone who can make MMOs and will replace them with a couple more Zynga staff'.

Larger version of that quote you reference, Doro:

A representative of Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, Turbine's parent company, confirmed the news to Gamasutra and issued the following statement:

"As part of our normal business process, we’re routinely looking at the strategic alignment of our company. Unfortunately, in order for us to invest in growth areas at Turbine, we have to eliminate some positions."

"Tough decisions, which we don't approach lightly..."

I'm not buying that bull shit.  The people that were fired were little more than data points in a budget forecast for some suit at WB, one who isn't even brave enough to supply his (or her) name to back up the quote.  I highly doubt that the person responsible for deciding to fire all those people could even identify any of them in person.

Wonder if I'll get an infraction :)

It does look more to me like they are saying (untactful I agree) that with the way management took the game and the amount of people that left as a result, the conclusion was fairly inevitable and what did they expect (I cant even word it right but I hope you get what I mean)

I hope they arent gloating that someone looses their job, Sure there's people that deserve to loose their jobs, I've had to sack people before for their bad work standard, it's one of the hardest thing I've done.

the hardest was when the person was really trying hard but was still useless.

Sacking someone that is lazy is one thing, but hardworking people following the guidelines they've been given by management is another altogether, and I cant believe anyone wishes the average hard working person gets the boot.

Now if Rick got laid off, that in my opinion is well deserved.

Any news on Rick Heaton?

Funny how a septic system functions. The water does all the work. You can't tell one drop from another but the water carries the turds along and deposits them into the tank. The water separates the lighter gasses from the decaying turds and lifts it to the top as a foamy mass, to vent out. Then the water is unceremoniously ushered out the other side of the tank to flow into a drain field where it allows the grass to grow.

The turds however simply sit in the tank, until what is left is only the nastiest part that even anaerobic bacteria won't touch. Over time the turd residue fills the tank and you have to either clean it out to make rooom for new turds or they will cake the tank and you will end up just scrapping the whole system. Sometimes the property owner will make it work for a few weeks and sell it to some unsuspecting buyer.

:+

• Upvote 1

Anyone happen to know which employee on FB James420 is referring to with his specific numbers quote?

Supposedly an ex-employee but not a recent one. My first thought was Clover but I'm just guessing.

On an unrelated note, nice to see at least one fanboy jump in to defend the game. Nyrion proudly fighting the lies that the game is sinking, whilst the waves lap at his chin.

Sympathies to those affected by the layoffs. I've been laid off before, so I know what it's like, especially at the moment with jobs so scarce.

It's a real shame. Turbine had/have some very talented people working for them. It's unfortunate that management at the company has let them down and failed to provide job security.

My thoughts as well.