LOTROCommunity

Another layoffs at Turbine

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There's some great people at Turbine and they built something special (imho) and I'm sorry to hear it's apparently not going well.    But: Some of them are now going to feel what my team went throug

In the absence of timely, clear, compassionate, factual communication from Turbine, speculation and rumor are the only things left to dominate conversation. And if those aren't worth anyone's time, th

Thanks Nando, the game is a great place with you Paiz's around. 

Sapience is gone...

http://www.thelayoff.com/turbine

As much as some people here wish it, that's the post on the page most likely to be a troll post. Here's 2 reasons. 1. He was still using staff accounts after the layoffs became widespread public knowledge. 2. Unlike all of the LOTRO employees we've been able to confirm +Handles for thus far, his staff forum account is still in the staff user-group. Accounts for employees laid off we've seen so far are either back in the regular user group suddenly or are missing without trace.

Dunno Crell.

Would HE troll something like that?

If so, that's pretty low

Who said it had to be him posting? We had a fake impersonator here at one point did we not?.. Additionally, I note the facebook change to 'WB Entertainment' but don't take that as necessarily an indication that he lost his position at Turbine, but more of a resume pad. After all, if Turbine's a division of WB entertainment, which would look better on your resume, some small company that most people have never heard of or a division of a publicly traded company that was at one point a household name??

Oh my... Now THAT is a big loss...

Yes... They are more stuffed than ever...

Thanks for you hard work RockX, just dont go implementing that loot system in your next project.

/swordsalute

Yeah, that's the first thing I thought of when I saw RockX's name - the terrible loot system.  He did seem like a good guy who was trying hard, and he even communicated on the forums for a while, but having his name forever associated with a terrible system... poor dude.

I have to agree with Crell on that. Moreover, calling out a likely fake item in a separate thread only gives ammo to the Black Knighters about this forum, I'd imagine.

If it comes to light to be fake, I would have no qualms with a mod removing it.

Black Knighters? I'm sorry if I gave the impression I gave a damn about what some brown Noser's think of me or the forum I may post in. :P

I degress and go off topic! Apologies!

Should be an interesting day...

Yeah, that's the first thing I thought of when I saw RockX's name - the terrible loot system.  He did seem like a good guy who was trying hard, and he even communicated on the forums for a while, but having his name forever associated with a terrible system... poor dude.

Indeed, however we have no idea what the brief was he was given for that endeavour.

Either way, I have no doubt a he will find employment very soon.

Also sad to hear ZC got the can... I would've thought he would be rather senior in the IC scene :(

All in all, a sad state of affairs, and as is usually the case... The persons responsible for the mess will most likely be spared and possibly even come out of all of this smelling of roses.

:/

From this post:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?542154-Turbine-hit-with-another-round-of-layoffs&p=7100480#post7100480

Word of mouth can be a great and terrible thing perhaps your personal experience differs from mine and that is ok but I have personally talked with young MMo players about Lotro and other games and can you guess some of the negative things I have heard and where the information, false, has come from? This community and of course the forum that shall not be named who from what I understand are having a big party right now. While I am not saying that Turbine is faultless given the current playerbase they have little choice in what they can implement at any given time but what is said or infered on these forums carries alot of weight in the gaming community as it would for any game elsewhere.

When you have a segment of the population take their ball and go home, financially speaking, but stick around to take the time to troll, publically humiliate, bully and run roughshod on thsoe who remain it paints a poor picture for those walking by. I love this game and am afraid that the Road to Mordor will be much shorter then intended not only due to a declining population but also due to a toxic player base.

Somebody who cares enough to bother with this feel like setting this idiot straight?  (I don't usually stoop to name-calling, but it feels appropriate here).

Perhaps I've missed it, but where exactly is this big party that we're having over here?  My reading comprehension is usually pretty good, but maybe I'm misreading all the sympathy being expressed over here - perhaps you're all just expert trolls who are subtly couching glee and happiness as sympathy, empathy, and basic concern for people who just got dealt a shitty hand.

I also wonder what false information people (or, apparently, just people here) have been spreading far and wide in the MMO gaming community to discourage young gamers from playing LOTRO.  Dude is right that word-of-mouth is important for these things, but somehow he's gotten the idea that a very small, allegedly malcontent, segment of players is responsible for spreading the word that LOTRO's content has declined over the last few years, both in quantity and quality.  It's totally the malcontents' fault, and not the fault of the thousands of other players who left LOTRO but say the same thing about the quality, and certainly not the fault of Turbine.  LOTRO would totally have more players (and thus more content!) if only people would stop lying about it having fewer players and less content... or something.

Oh, and the line about the segment of the population who troll, publicly humiliate, and bully other posters is priceless.  It's like he's never once read a thread started by some poor sod who had the misfortune to openly wonder why there isn't more traditional end-game group content or focus on PvP.

I already tried refuting it further up thread more politely when someone said we were having a party over here over the whole thing..

I really think its because of the '+Sapience should be the one fired' posts and the like that hit the thread and were deleted.

As far as I'm aware, I'm the only person here having a party about lay-offs. All the rest of you seem to have a conscience :P

It's just that some people keep it to themselves ;)

In my case it's more about partying because, once great game will no longer be butchered  rather than partying because of the layoffs themseles.

But if that pseudo community manager would be laid off i deffinitely would be partying openly d;)b

As far as I'm aware, I'm the only person here having a party about lay-offs. All the rest of you seem to have a conscience :P

I danced when I heard Thatcher had died. I laughed with glee when Jerry Falwell went. I'm not adverse to celebrating when something or someone I despise meets its end, but lots of those laid off are the good guys. You see this so often; companies seem to keep on the very people that are the problem while the talent gets shafted.

Not sure this hastens the end for LOTRO, look how long Vanguard hung on with no expansions, very little development and no marketing.

Every medium to large company has staff that dont pull their weight, but I sorry for anyone that gets made redundant as I know what it is like and how hard it is to find new employment. Some well known names have lost their jobs and I doubt we will see much new content in the near future

When I was lucky enough to get invited to Boston I met a few of these people, including Rockx and ZC, no matter what you think of Turbine these are good people who appeared to really care about there work. It's a big loss for Turbine imho. I agree with Mr Troll, "this stinks".

There's some great people at Turbine and they built something special (imho) and I'm sorry to hear it's apparently not going well. 

But: Some of them are now going to feel what my team went through when they played hardball with the European service contract and the F2P handover, I don't recall anyone in Turbine giving my guys and girls any sympathy or understanding when they lost their jobs. Not. One. Single, Word...

Business is war apparently, well guess what? You're fighting with yesterday's weapons and that traditionally doesn't go well...

(edited for grammar)

Many of us from the old days were very sad to see Codemasters go. Those pre-F2P days were better times in more ways than one.