LOTROCommunity

Struggling when looking for a new MMORPG

LOTRO was my first MMORPG. I am not entirely sure that MMORPGs are for me since I don't like being jerked around by vendors but it was great fun for a while and I want to give it another shot.

I have installed and tried the usual suspects, but I'm not making much headway. They are all "nice" but with the game time available to me I can't make enough headway into each game to properly judge. Now I was first tearing up my game time in everybody's intro levels (I am a smell the roses kind of guy and level slowly - well if they let me :)) and then got frustrated and played bass. Not the worst thing but ... plz helpz!

Here is what my preferences are. I would like to hear opinions. Hopefully this is interesting to anybody else.

I don't like companies jerking customers around.

I want a real story.

Want combat that reacts strongly to combining skills in interesting ways. There should be throught involved in your sequences and they should do something different. I don't require particularly difficult combat. Just interesting. Some form of secondary combat (say ship-to-ship in a sci-fi game) would be appreciated.

I have no attachment to tank-healer-DPS.

Prefer sword-n-dragons over modern but not a strong concern.

Dislike video watching such as cutscenes, especially when they are frequent. Wouldn't kill a game, though. Old style popups or subtitles are just fine.

Looks matter, both characters and landscapes/architecture. Human forms preferred over monster play and bikini^H^H^Hcosmetic armor works for me but isn't a requirement.

Or in summary:

• I want depth of story and combat
  • I want a vendor still pretending to be nice
  • Nice landscape appreciated
  • Whatever the opposite of an arcade game is
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I might kick myself for saying this, but have you tried WoW? It has all kinds of things to do, and something for almost everybody. I enjoyed it for almost 3 years (from 2004 to 2007) before deciding I only wanted to subscribe to one game at a time. I've followed the game closely since then, and a lot of my friends are still playing it today.

If you've tried WoW and didn't enjoy it, what was it that turned you off? Maybe that will help us refine the list of choices.

No need to kick yourself Fred. WoW is a solid game backed by a solid developer. There is lots of content and a very detailed and developing lore. The biggest barring factor to starting currently is the level cap if you want to get there rapidly.

I decided to try WoW after the next expansion which has new character models. There is strong indication that existing characters can't be remodeled.

I don't need lots of instance/raid/dungeon content, just enough to run with an occasional group. I usually don't do regular raiding because of unpredictable time availability.

A big plus would be if the game runs in Wine.

I might kick myself for saying this, but have you tried WoW? It has all kinds of things to do, and something for almost everybody. I enjoyed it for almost 3 years (from 2004 to 2007) before deciding I only wanted to subscribe to one game at a time. I've followed the game closely since then, and a lot of my friends are still playing it today.

If you've tried WoW and didn't enjoy it, what was it that turned you off? Maybe that will help us refine the list of choices.

I was thinking about that, and it's certainly dragons-n-swords type though with.... other things. The reason why I asked about raids/dungeons is that WoW is particularly famous for that type of content, but it's not limited to that, but it doesn't exactly have an epic questline. The lore isn't for everyone, but there are official novels and everything, so there IS lore (the wikis have a ton of canon information as well from multiple sources). They're getting a graphics update soon, but I'm sure some people will still complain it's too cartoony. The only reason why I won't go back now is because since they removed their classic talent trees, you're pretty locked into a specific functional role (as far as I understand it), and merely being able to switch out of combat doesn't cut it for me.

Oh, and sub-only. :) No MT store shoved into your face at every turn and UI click.

Lotro was my first and only MMO, came because of the Tolkien setting, plus every other game looked cartoonish.  Never would have left, if only the game would not have been gotten worse and worse.  Didn't play any game for awhile.  Then a PvP battle in Eve got mainstream news coverage across the world for the amount of real $$$ worth of goods destroyed.  Seeing that they had a free two week trial without even having to offer your credit card I took them up on it, sub for two accounts before the trial was even over. 

Free 21 day trial (don't need to file a credit card) through Buddy invite:

https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=6aece0a6-ae8a-4ceb-ba71-a084ed5178fb&action=buddy

Remember that Bounder token statue in Lotro?  Well, if you end subbing to Eve before March, your character's name will end up on a real life monument in Iceland.

http://eve.com/monument-about-the-monument

Lotro made us grind an in game statue in the Shire to hide the lack of anything else to do until the expac, Eve has so much excess money that it is building real life stainless steel monuments to its players. 

Yes, Eve is a strong contender. I still have no clue what I am doing but I liked it so far. I'm afraid that my inability to do regular group content might let me stranded, though.

Ah, I see. Well if you'd try the gamut between the likes of EVE and LotRO, you might as well just try all the big ones, HDD space permitting. To be honest, if I'm after a strong storyline and particularly depth, I stick with single-player games anyway.

Yeah, isn't EVE a space sandbox? That doesn't sound like what OP would want at all. No story or lore. No landscape per se, I think. :P

There is something that attracts me to it, but I started this thread because I want a "normal" MMORPG, too :)

My TSW install has committed suicide it seems. Sigh.

To be honest, if I'm after a strong storyline and particularly depth, I stick with single-player games anyway.

Any particular recommendations? I didn't like Skyrim too much, got a little monotonous.

Any particular recommendations? I didn't like Skyrim too much, got a little monotonous.

Uh. I'm kind of old school. Nothing I've tried so far has beaten Planescape: Torment in sheer text quantity (800k words in party/NPC dialogue), story, and immersive roleplaying. Downsides are you have to play a mage to get the most out of everything for the ultimate playthrough, and it's old enough to be unstable on certain systems and is downright ugly :P (eh, it grew on me). I keep hoping it'll be re-released like Baldur's Gate, but probably not. The combat is more interesting in the Baldur's Gate series, but that's pretty old school AD&D as well. I'd expect anyone used to "modern" games to get frustrated by the old school ones. Anyway, the same guy who wrote PST, fortunately, is writing for Pillars of Eternity being released winter 2014, so I have ridiculously high hopes for that. Complex party combat, pretty iso views (sorry, no 3D zoom), party NPC interactions/RP, and reactive immersive dialogues with factions, politics, religion, races, and everything.

Oblivion, that type of game got pretty boring to me, linear storyline and boring Y/N quests, not to mention I didn't particularly like the combat style. I've played several other games but I don't even remember them now because they're so unmemorable to me compared to the old school legends like PST/BG. You may enjoy Dragon Age--I'd probably stick with the original and not the subsequent ones unless you reeeeaaally want more party romances. *cough* I personally got sick of all the cinematics/cutscenes/talking heads in Dragon Age, but they're sort of skippable. Kids these days are only after the visuals, I swear. :P

Planescape is wonky with win8.

But in your case Darmokk you would probably not have technical issues.

I got tired of it at some point but it was intriguing.

Considering your likes and dislikes are almost opposite of mine, you might find it pretty enjoyable.

Get out of here with that lunix crap!

You find the best deals on that at gamestop IMO, bundled with the other D&D games. My favorite is temple of elemental evil. Same design team, they attempted to let you choose your D&D alignment and the story unfolds based on your choice; planescape you are free to do as you wish and your "alignment" gets built based on your choices. 

Except in TEE they really didn't implement it well. If you start chaotic evil you expect to torture live puppies and kittens, but the game doesn't track that well. Fuck the dumbasses that tried to combine the four, lawful/chaotic was supposed to be a REPLACEMENT for good and evil, dumbass kids and their 8-track players!

I'm mining asteroids in Eve right, in 2 days I'll be able to fly the better mining ship already purchased and sitting in my hangar.  Eventually, I hope to build my own POS (Player Occupied Station) moon base within one of the multi-planet +7k solar systems.  Then my personal corporation will be going into industry (ships, weapons, ammo, implants, boosters, etc) and research and development.  And then when I'm wealthy, I'm going to PvP in some form, of which there are at least five forms, high sec piracy, high sec corporate declared wars, low sec fighting, faction war, and null sec.  There's a PvE epic story line, I may get to some day, but there being no true safe places in space (only safer), makes even mining an adventure, since another player could come along kill you and loot the wreckage of your ship. 

I highly recommend GOG for both old school and modern indie CRPGs. 100% legal, DRM-free, and for the old school ones like PST, they have a page of tweaks and such.

(Also didn't know EVE had any storyline, that's interesting.)

Or in summary:

• I want depth of story and combat - The Secret World
  • I want a vendor still pretending to be nice - The Secret World or Rift
  • Nice landscape appreciated - Rift
  • Whatever the opposite of an arcade game is - The Secret World or Rift

Basically, I would suggest for you TSW in general, unless Modern Horror really isn't your bag, in which case, go with Rift instead. TSW has the better story, Rift has the better vendor and systems.

Basically, I would suggest for you TSW in general, unless Modern Horror really isn't your bag, in which case, go with Rift instead. TSW has the better story, Rift has the better vendor and systems.

Isn't rift just a highly polished version of the classic MMORPG with trinity and all?