LOTROCommunity

Struggling when looking for a new MMORPG

Uh. I'm kind of old school. Nothing I've tried so far has beaten Planescape: Torment in sheer text quantity (800k words in party/NPC dialogue), story, and immersive roleplaying. Downsides are you have to play a mage to get the most out of everything for the ultimate playthrough, and it's old enough to be unstable on certain systems and is downright ugly :P (eh, it grew on me). I keep hoping it'll be re-released like Baldur's Gate, but probably not. The combat is more interesting in the Baldur's Gate series, but that's pretty old school AD&D as well. I'd expect anyone used to "modern" games to get frustrated by the old school ones. Anyway, the same guy who wrote PST, fortunately, is writing for Pillars of Eternity being released winter 2014, so I have ridiculously high hopes for that. Complex party combat, pretty iso views (sorry, no 3D zoom), party NPC interactions/RP, and reactive immersive dialogues with factions, politics, religion, races, and everything.

Oblivion, that type of game got pretty boring to me, linear storyline and boring Y/N quests, not to mention I didn't particularly like the combat style. I've played several other games but I don't even remember them now because they're so unmemorable to me compared to the old school legends like PST/BG. You may enjoy Dragon Age--I'd probably stick with the original and not the subsequent ones unless you reeeeaaally want more party romances. *cough* I personally got sick of all the cinematics/cutscenes/talking heads in Dragon Age, but they're sort of skippable. Kids these days are only after the visuals, I swear. :P

I just want to point it out in case you missed it (slightly OT, apologies), but you might also want to look at 'Torment: Tides of Numenera'.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loving WoW atm. Doing the legendary line on my main to get the cloak (bit behind on this expac) and the sheer amount of content just astounds me. Plus the raiding is second to none.

For anyone who wants to look me up, my main char is Elithwyn on Moonglade (Alliance).

Rift is also good but TSW os worth investing in. Excellent game.

Can't wait for Wildstar.

I decided to try WoW after the next expansion which has new character models. There is strong indication that existing characters can't be remodeled.

Not sure where you heard this. The whole point is to remodel existing characters.

(Pandas, being effectively "new" models already, won't be remodeled, and Worgen/Goblins probably won't get a remake immediately, since they are relatively new and need it less).

Not sure where you heard this. The whole point is to remodel existing characters.

(Pandas, being effectively "new" models already, won't be remodeled, and Worgen/Goblins probably won't get a remake immediately, since they are relatively new and need it less).

http://wowpedia.org/Updated_character_models

It isn't entirely clear what's gonna happen, but it strongly looks like two things are going to happen:

• Existing characters will be forcefully upgraded, they will be changed, and in an automatic way
  • Indication so far is that they will not allow you to start over re-creating the looks of your character while keeping all the rest of it
What's an estimation when that will launch?

BTW, repaired my Eve install. Apparently "vfs objects = dirsort" breaks sambda quite thoroughly.

Basically, I would suggest for you TSW in general, unless Modern Horror really isn't your bag, in which case, go with Rift instead. TSW has the better story, Rift has the better vendor and systems.
I'd personally love to try out TSW except modern horror isn't my thing at all. :/ I'd agree in general that Rift doesn't have a strong story/lore (though the individual story questlines can be good), which is why I don't necessarily recommend it to those looking for that stuff in an MMO. It's the gameplay and systems that keep me there for now. As for the trinity bit--Rift definitely has a lot more flexibility than WoW/LotRO, with better utility "support" class trees than Turbine could ever dream up, but less flexibility than TSW which is class-less, as discussed in the Rift section here. I'm quite curious about the whole class-less/level-less thing, but again, modern horror... :P

It has an epic arc but that's pretty much it. Agent missions repeat themselves. Not sure why EVE was mentioned in terms of good story.
That was my impression; I didn't think EVE had any storyline at all, but I'm sure what it does have absolutely pales in comparison to WoW just due to the genre and nature of the games.

I just want to point it out in case you missed it (slightly OT, apologies), but you might also want to look at 'Torment: Tides of Numenera'.
Ah, yeah, I avoided that Kickstarter because they were riding the coattails of the Project Eternity high, and they pulled something worse (IMO) than EA-Bioware by heavily marketing that game as an extension of PS:T when that's impossible on all fronts. That game has nothing to do with PS:T besides the name, so I took issue with the marketing gimmick. It reminded me of EA-Bioware's attempt to get all the Baldur's Gate fans with Dragon Age, where the latter was absolutely nothing like BG, and that pissed me off too. Trick me once... Anywhoo. :P

http://wowpedia.org/Updated_character_models

It isn't entirely clear what's gonna happen, but it strongly looks like two things are going to happen:

• Existing characters will be forcefully upgraded, they will be changed, and in an automatic way
  • Indication so far is that they will not allow you to start over re-creating the looks of your character while keeping all the rest of it

The first point is right, I think, although if you look at the before/after comparisons they have previewed, and their statements at, e.g. Blizzcon, they are trying extremely hard to make the upgraded characters preserve the general appearance of the old. Obviously they won't succeed at pleasing everybody, but your character is supposed to be recognizable after the upgrade, just look a lot better.

You can always completely recustomize any character's appearance by paying $15 (includes name change too if you want it).

You can also change races (and faction) for $25 (which includes recustomization and name change).

In addition, there is the in-game barber which allows change of hair/facial hair for gold.

What your second point means is that they are (probably) not going to give every character a full recustomization for free.

What's an estimation when that will launch?

No official word. Beta has not started yet, or if it has, it is very small and nobody is talking about it. My guess is September launch, but it's purely a guess.

You can always completely recustomize any character's appearance by paying $15 (includes name change too if you want it).

Oh. I had no idea that a company would do this totally sane and useful thing that brings them money and doesn't take anything away from the other players.

I think I'm gonna roll something this weekend then.

Its a bit like clothes shopping; its what suits you. I've felt most of the never MMOs are meh, for one reason or another, but I think that just me getting picky in my old age. Its not they are bad, but none had anything that grabbed me and screamed: 'play me; you don't need sleep; just play me'. 

I never got on with WoW, SWOTOR was decent, but the cut-scenes really did my head in. Rift and the new Guild wars are both really good in different ways, but just didn't stick for me. So I'd recommend anyone to at least try them. 

Everything I've heard about the Secret World makes me want to play it, but its Funcom, and I don't do 'fool me thrice'.

I'd always suggest EVE, as long as you know what you are getting yourself into. It is a sandbox, and there really is no story -- the whole game is about: 'OK you tell ME a story'. 

I might end up back in single players for a while, but Project Eternity is still not looking to release until the end of the year. By the way, since Trilwych threw up the link earlier, their weekend deal is on all the old school D&D games (Got e'm :) ; Played 'em :(  ). They are also offering Dungeon keeper for free this weekend.

I'm mining asteroids in Eve right, in 2 days I'll be able to fly the better mining ship already purchased and sitting in my hangar.  Eventually, I hope to build my own POS (Player Occupied Station) moon base within one of the multi-planet +7k solar systems.  Then my personal corporation will be going into industry (ships, weapons, ammo, implants, boosters, etc) and research and development.  And then when I'm wealthy, I'm going to PvP in some form, of which there are at least five forms, high sec piracy, high sec corporate declared wars, low sec fighting, faction war, and null sec.  There's a PvE epic story line, I may get to some day, but there being no true safe places in space (only safer), makes even mining an adventure, since another player could come along kill you and loot the wreckage of your ship. 

Good luck with that, I actually found industry one of the most absorbing and fun parts of the game. I have to say (though I'm sure you already know) you don't have to wait until you are wealthy to PVP, both: in the context that you don't need to be wealthy to PVP, and the fact that as soon as you get involved in Industry, you are already PVPing. (and since it is EVE, arranging to have your competitors blown up is acceptable business practice)

Remember that Bounder token statue in Lotro?  Well, if you end subbing to Eve before March, your character's name will end up on a real life monument in Iceland.

http://eve.com/monument-about-the-monument

Lotro made us grind an in game statue in the Shire to hide the lack of anything else to do until the expac, Eve has so much excess money that it is building real life stainless steel monuments to its players. 

Oh bollocks. No paying a sub again, (don't need to) no subscriptions, (you have enough ISK on your accounts to PLEX for months).  cannot go back to EVE... Help

When talking about older RPGs, then GoG.com has -80% promo for next 2 days for great D&D titles such like Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment, etc

http://www.gog.com/promo/hasbro_weekend_promo_140214

Additionally System Shock 2 for 1,49$ !   (and other games for -90%, including such titles as Sid Meier Alpha Centauri - althrough this one not an RPG).

http://www.gog.com/promo/valentines_day_promo_140214

Allright, I gave most of them another shot.

Looks like I like ST:O after all. Maybe I tried too early after release but I had much better luck now. The character I had I didn't like and I can't recall why I created it that way, might have been limitations. I found ship combat confusing, as well as orienting myself. No such problems today, made a character that fits, blew up some raiders. The game has the right pace for quest storytelling. It has dialog boxes and talks but the talking stops when you just hit the next button after reading. Perfect for me. Screw cutscenes. Cosmetic system. Good voice acting. I like to customize several things and I can use all the cool ship names in my head.

I also like the missions but I'm on a personal Voyager re-run so that might have something to do with it. At the end of the day Star Trek might be in the hands of evil TV empires but they did build significant amount of quality lore.

The last days were terrible. Can you imagine what it is like to update so many of these MMO games after not playing for long. Shudder.

That's how I did it, but I think you can go to http://www.ageofconan.com/playfree

Yes. I didn't understand (and they didn't say) that creating the conan account on the web doesn't create a game account. So I couldn't log in even after steaming it. Later I found a not labeled as such image that is a link to creating a game account, and then you also get the non-steam download link.

Didn't I complain about TSW download delays back in the day, too?

Funcom is a pain.

I first thought I could just use the same account I have for TSW. Didn't recognize it though and had to create a separate one.

You'll notice early that combat is different. There is no hard lock for melee. You can swing too far away and miss. Your ranged weapons are more like a FPS. Magic is more traditional lock-and-fire. There are arcade-style combos. It can take awhile to build up to a comfy level so PvP server may be where you want to start. The thing is, I don't know if you can switch to another server after you create your account. There is a PvE and PvP server for both US and EU.

For me I like engaging combat, so I like the effort at least. And if you hit a combo finisher that takes out your opponent you get a fatality; a really cool animation where you do something drastic like yank their head off their shoulders and smash it with your hammer, or make a triple spin sclicing off an arm, then the other arm, then the head. It depends on the weapon and style. Really super good and gory.

It gets kind of old though but it is different enough that if you like trying out different combat styles to compare games, this is one that should be tried.

Is Steam the only way to download Age of Conan these days?

http://cdn.funcom.com/aoc/download/us/ageofconan-en.exe

Funcom is a pain.

I first thought I could just use the same account I have for TSW.

You can, my TSW, AOC and AO accounts are all on the same single account. You go into the account page and on the left at the top (under the store add) there's a drop down menu to switch between games, you select TSW from there and then under account you click add a game.

Looks like I like ST:O after all.

Engage!

Yeah, I am still playing ST:O as a sort of diversion from more "serious" gaming (I bought lifetime sub before it released...).

It's certainly not terrible as light entertainment, and has improved a lot since the early days. There are still too many bugs, but they do seem to fix them much faster. And the rate of content is far from high, but they generally give you something new to do every few months. I will always love the IP, and they are generally respectful toward it. Plenty of crazy lore-breaking things (my Fed Sci officer flies a captured Tholian carrier...), but they usually get the bigger stuff right.

They have also just recently revamped the Fed starter areas and "new player experience" (and Klink ones just before that when Romulans were added). From your review, it sounds like they did a good job...

I'd be interested in ST:O myself if it weren't for the fact that I kind of have problems with 3D navigation. :/ Since Trion added the underwater cap content in Rift, I haven't done it besides the basic storyline quests--and I noticed that area is rather abandoned by others as well. I suppose I'd have an even harder time in ST:O when space doesn't exactly have an up/down compared to underwater content!