LOTROCommunity

Struggling when looking for a new MMORPG

I'd be interested in ST:O myself if it weren't for the fact that I kind of have problems with 3D navigation. :/ Since Trion added the underwater cap content in Rift, I haven't done it besides the basic storyline quests--and I noticed that area is rather abandoned by others as well. I suppose I'd have an even harder time in ST:O when space doesn't exactly have an up/down compared to underwater content!

Space combat has a weird hybrid mostly 2D thing going on. Think about how in the TV series ships almost meet in the same plane. You can't actually attack at any angle you want. All the shields are 2D around the horizontal plane of the ship, too. I think you will be fine.

I found that joystick support in there is a complete joke. Too bad but not important. Space combat in there is a lot more engaging then just rotation spamming in LOTRO. Attack patterns (your own, not programmed) matter. I like how you can customize yourself, your ship and every one of your crew's core people. Ground combat seems to be meh but I didn't go into directing my ground team in detail yet. Need to give them all red shirts first :)

I like the cosmetic system in there. I am not sure that I can earn all the cool stuff in the shop in-game, too, but what is free is sufficient. I spent $5 total so far so I'll give them some allowance to rip me off.

Software quality seems to be high. No crashes, works in wine, no weirdass launcher being totally different

Who else is playing it?

I just hope, so hope, that this doesn't drag me into Eve :)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Better to give them gold shirts as a higher percentage of those that ware gold die then those that ware red

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57570548-1/surprise-star-trek-gold-shirts-more-deadly-than-red-shirts/

My main character already wears gold, so... :)

Space combat has a weird hybrid mostly 2D thing going on. Think about how in the TV series ships almost meet in the same plane. You can't actually attack at any angle you want. All the shields are 2D around the horizontal plane of the ship, too. I think you will be fine.

Yeah, they have said unequivocally that they will not do "true" 3D, to avoid the problems Trilwych describes (and if you're spatially challenged, stay away from SW:tOR's Galactic Starfighter, which *is* true 3D, and *extremely* disorienting...)

I found that joystick support in there is a complete joke. Too bad but not important. Space combat in there is a lot more engaging then just rotation spamming in LOTRO. Attack patterns (your own, not programmed) matter. I like how you can customize yourself, your ship and every one of your crew's core people. Ground combat seems to be meh but I didn't go into directing my ground team in detail yet. Need to give them all red shirts first :)

Never tried a joystick, but a Nostromo works great for space combat - you get a fairly sensitive thumbstick steering control, a scroll-wheel throttle, and plenty of buttons to hotkey.

If you played early on, you probably didn't experience the "shooter mode" option in ground combat. It's probably less effective than the default MMO-style targeting, and takes some getting used to, but it feels a bit more visceral and fun to me. Ground combat remains something of a step-child in ST:O, but it is the only part of the game that is even remotely challenging (mostly due to over-tuning at the highest difficulty level).

I like the cosmetic system in there. I am not sure that I can earn all the cool stuff in the shop in-game, too, but what is free is sufficient. I spent $5 total so far so I'll give them some allowance to rip me off.

Well, anything that costs Zen can be earned by in-game grinding of the dilithium currency, but it is not for the faint of heart. It is also possible to indirectly convert "gold" (energy credits) into dilithium, and then into Zen, but that is even more grind-tastic.

Make sure to check out the difficulty slider, ship interiors and duty officer system too; those have been added since launch.

I am @lagunad in-game, if you wanna say hi.

Yeah, they have said unequivocally that they will not do "true" 3D, to avoid the problems Trilwych describes (and if you're spatially challenged, stay away from SW:tOR's Galactic Starfighter, which *is* true 3D, and *extremely* disorienting...)

oooooOOOOooooooo...... :O

....NO! I will not be tempted! I can't handle more than one MMO at a time. *slaps self*

Well, anything that costs Zen can be earned by in-game grinding of the dilithium currency, but it is not for the faint of heart. It is also possible to indirectly convert "gold" (energy credits) into dilithium, and then into Zen, but that is even more grind-tastic.

Make sure to check out the difficulty slider, ship interiors and duty officer system too; those have been added since launch.

I am @lagunad in-game, if you wanna say hi.

When I said "earn" I meant find the cosmetics in loot somewhere. I'm not much into points grind.

The videos weren't meant to be visually pretty.  Look, to put in old PC game terms is like a multi player Master of Orion/Sim City/Civ II/Railroad Ty combined with a FPS (first person shooter) tie in with Dust 514 and coming 3D virtual reality tie in with Eve Valkyrie.  If you want something "worth looking at" visually Eve-VR would be it: 

www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/10/25/ccp-on-how-valkyrie-will-fuse-with-eve-evolve/

Dust and Eve-VR would be good even for those who just want to make stuff explode, but such players will be "useful idiots" to the alliances that spread over the platforms (Dust players for example can chat with Eve online players in the channels), not understanding the politics-economics of it all.

Thanks for clarification. I didn't understand the earlier post. The videos were ok for what they were, and the graphics were interesting actually, but I was expecting something about real players who were acting evil in EVE.

10 year EVE vet here. Real player's acting evil in eve??

Ok, got yah covered.

Better to give them gold shirts as a higher percentage of those that ware gold die then those that ware red

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57570548-1/surprise-star-trek-gold-shirts-more-deadly-than-red-shirts/

Yeah, haven't read the article but I assume that's because the red shirt "meme" was based on the original series in which security/away team personnel and engineering wore red shirts (explains why scotty was always nervous)and generally the only time someone died was during an away mission, whereas in the next generation and beyond they changed the colour from red to gold for security and engineering and now there are more series and more episodes than the original series they've taken over the top spot, I'm pretty sure I read something somewhere that said they changed the color to effectively stick two finger sup at the red shirt theory.

Yeah, haven't read the article but I assume that's because the red shirt "meme" was based on the original series in which security/away team personnel and engineering wore red shirts (explains why scotty was always nervous)and generally the only time someone died was during an away mission, whereas in the next generation and beyond they changed the colour from red to gold for security and engineering and now there are more series and more episodes than the original series they've taken over the top spot, I'm pretty sure I read something somewhere that said they changed the color to effectively stick two finger sup at the red shirt theory.

The article is solely base on the original series. Well more red shirts die, this is due to there being more red shirts on board. IN percentage terms only 10% of red shits on board died compared to 13.4% of gold shirts. Blue shirts were the safest with only 5.1% of them dying.

The article is solely base on the original series. Well more red shirts die, this is due to there being more red shirts on board. IN percentage terms only 10% of red shits on board died compared to 13.4% of gold shirts. Blue shirts were the safest with only 5.1% of them dying.

The original bug is that engineering and security has the same shirts.

That would be the equivalent of not being able to tell BU students from Boston PD officers.

LOTRO was my first MMORPG. I am not entirely sure that MMORPGs are for me since I don't like being jerked around by vendors but it was great fun for a while and I want to give it another shot.

I have installed and tried the usual suspects, but I'm not making much headway. They are all "nice" but with the game time available to me I can't make enough headway into each game to properly judge. Now I was first tearing up my game time in everybody's intro levels (I am a smell the roses kind of guy and level slowly - well if they let me :)) and then got frustrated and played bass. Not the worst thing but ... plz helpz!

Here is what my preferences are. I would like to hear opinions. Hopefully this is interesting to anybody else.

I don't like companies jerking customers around.

I want a real story.

Want combat that reacts strongly to combining skills in interesting ways. There should be throught involved in your sequences and they should do something different. I don't require particularly difficult combat. Just interesting. Some form of secondary combat (say ship-to-ship in a sci-fi game) would be appreciated.

I have no attachment to tank-healer-DPS.

Prefer sword-n-dragons over modern but not a strong concern.

Dislike video watching such as cutscenes, especially when they are frequent. Wouldn't kill a game, though. Old style popups or subtitles are just fine.

Looks matter, both characters and landscapes/architecture. Human forms preferred over monster play and bikini^H^H^Hcosmetic armor works for me but isn't a requirement.

Or in summary:

• I want depth of story and combat
  • I want a vendor still pretending to be nice
  • Nice landscape appreciated
  • Whatever the opposite of an arcade game is

Just saying,..

If you like to pay once and not really HAVE to pay any more, Guild Wars 2 has a great storyline. Lots of people pass it by or just WvWvW, but I have completed it on one and working on it on my second 80. Plus, the WvWvW is awesome. I refused to play pvp before that game.

And, in 45ish days, Elder Scrolls Online. Lots of story, beautiful scenery. However, the 15 bucks a month is a put-off for many. Still hoping they announce  a multi-month discount, so I can swap paying Lotro $10 a month to them.From the interaction in Beta, they are responsive to players right now. But, Lotro was like that at one time too.

Just saying,..

If you like to pay once and not really HAVE to pay any more, Guild Wars 2 has a great storyline. Lots of people pass it by or just WvWvW, but I have completed it on one and working on it on my second 80. Plus, the WvWvW is awesome. I refused to play pvp before that game.

And, in 45ish days, Elder Scrolls Online. Lots of story, beautiful scenery. However, the 15 bucks a month is a put-off for many. Still hoping they announce  a multi-month discount, so I can swap paying Lotro $10 a month to them.From the interaction in Beta, they are responsive to players right now. But, Lotro was like that at one time too.

I did buy GW2 but I hate everything about it :) Of course I didn't make it very far in because of that.

Just saying,..

It has been stated 'somewhere' that there will be multi-month payment options (I'm to lazy to look up the source at present however).

10 year EVE vet here. Real player's acting evil in eve??

Ok, got yah covered.

Yeah, Rokhs are fun, if you like the subtlety of a sledgehammer. (and the symbolism :) )

Personally, if I had to pick only one ship to fly, it would be a Cov-Ops (Buzzard for me). Should be black ops, but Widows are just Ugly. Nearly podded a corp-mate in real life with one though. Got asked to do some scanning, so met him. We were chatting and I thought it would be a laugh to sit beside him for a bit. Poor guy nearly had a heart attack when I de-cloaked.