LOTROCommunity

RockX

TheStormKing

If it had been a policy to NOT put their names out there and TSK had obtained it through some unwanted sleuthing, I'd say take it down.  That's not been the case.  I have no issues with their names being put forth.  It's by their choice.

As for what he did to my captain....

HelmsDeep-1.png

• Upvote 2

The problem, as I see it, was they took Specialization too far, just as WoW did at one point. It may have been with Cataclysm or Pandaland, I can't recall now, but when the talent trees were reworked with one of those expansions, they forced players to spend all but a very few points in one talent tree, removing any chance of hybrid builds. Turbine did much the same thing with their LOTRO talent trees by charging twice as much to buy points in trees outside of your specialization.

Blizzard realized their mistake and fixed it, if I recall, but Turbine is stubbornly holding onto their no-hybrid stance. And just like it did with WoW, that stance is hurting LOTRO badly.

You know what they say, "Those who refuse to learn from history, are doomed to repeat it."

For any Brits here, these lay-offs reminds me of the whole Jade Goody thing. Before she died, the media hated her for being a stupid racist. Then she got cancer and died and suddenly they were all 'oh she was such a good person'. Same with Michael Jackson. Pre-death, he was a freak who touched kids. Post-death, the greatest artist of all time and the world is worse off without him!

I decided to remove the real name.

Reviewing web activity I do not see him associate his real name and alias by himself (others do, but not he, at least not in high ranking pages).

Please understand that this is about what people find in Google quickly when entering his full name. Everybody knows that a careful review (e.g. for employment) can bring this up. That's OK, I just don't want it in the face of potential new employers before research - or his girlfriend for that matter.

You're thinking of me. I'm the one who refuses to use Rick's forum name.

Ah, thank you.

Sorry, Darmokk.

As for the devs not being able to implement some of the feedback: that's understandable, I just wish that they occasionally felt free enough to say why.  If the reason is because someone higher up has decided "this is the way it's going to be", why not say so?  Sure, the higher-up probably won't like it, but I doubt any dev would name the higher-up and besides, if someone doesn't want to be held accountable for a decision, then maybe that person should have made a different decision.  (In other words, RockX saying something like, "My hands are tied.  I know that many of you love the hybrid aspect of your Captain right now, but I've been ordered to redesign the class in a very specific way.")

The problem, as I see it, was they took Specialization too far, just as WoW did at one point. It may have been with Cataclysm or Pandaland, I can't recall now, but when the talent trees were reworked with one of those expansions, they forced players to spend all but a very few points in one talent tree, removing any chance of hybrid builds. Turbine did much the same thing with their LOTRO talent trees by charging twice as much to buy points in trees outside of your specialization.

Blizzard realized their mistake and fixed it, if I recall, but Turbine is stubbornly holding onto their no-hybrid stance. And just like it did with WoW, that stance is hurting LOTRO badly.

You know what they say, "Those who refuse to learn from history, are doomed to repeat it."

Yeah, I argued using Blizzard's history in my March thread, but a bunch of players really didn't seem to understand the problem (or didn't see it as a problem). Players who like messing with hybrid classes and builds like a bit more complexity in general, and I suppose it's a minority playstyle, but that alone doesn't warrant what Turbine did. SWG:NGE/CU indeed.

As for Blizzard fixing their first move towards more specialization--well, then they went to complete specialization with the non-trees in Pandaria. You're forced to specialize at level 10 with no opportunity to pick up skills outside of that specialization because subsequent talent choices are automatically tuned to your chosen initial role (IIRC, someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Well, screw that. I'm sticking with Rift. WARRIOR HEALING SOUL, HERE I COME.

Ah, thank you.

Sorry, Darmokk.

As for the devs not being able to implement some of the feedback: that's understandable, I just wish that they occasionally felt free enough to say why.  If the reason is because someone higher up has decided "this is the way it's going to be", why not say so?  Sure, the higher-up probably won't like it, but I doubt any dev would name the higher-up and besides, if someone doesn't want to be held accountable for a decision, then maybe that person should have made a different decision.  (In other words, RockX saying something like, "My hands are tied.  I know that many of you love the hybrid aspect of your Captain right now, but I've been ordered to redesign the class in a very specific way.")

Perhaps, but that kind of answer is IMO hard to give without implying something like "I know this is wrong but my idiotic bosses are forcing my hands". While they may be idiots, it's not exactly good conduct to blame your coworkers in a public forum like that.

Perhaps, but that kind of answer is IMO hard to give without implying something like "I know this is wrong but my idiotic bosses are forcing my hands". While they may be idiots, it's not exactly good conduct to blame your coworkers in a public forum like that.

Is it any worse than some nameless manager allowing his developers to sit there and take all the blame for his decision?  If it's the idiotic boss' idea, let the idiotic boss deal with the backlash.

Is it any worse than some nameless manager allowing his developers to sit there and take all the blame for his decision?  If it's the idiotic boss' idea, let the idiotic boss deal with the backlash.

Yes. Because you always have to be prepared for layoffs. At least if you're on good terms with your fellow-co-workers, you can get their recommendations.

It's true, there's no justice at all in the employment system here in the U.S. when corporate leadership structure is just cronyism. Due to litigation, even if someone was fired for doing totally stupid shit and/or illegal things, corporations are counseled not to say anything about WHY an employee was let go. The standard template for people trying to find legit background information for a potential hire is: "That person worked for our company from date to date. Their job title was X. They were paid Y." And that's it.

It's true, there's no justice at all in the employment system here in the U.S. when corporate leadership structure is just cronyism. Due to litigation, even if someone was fired for doing totally stupid shit and/or illegal things, corporations are counseled not to say anything about WHY an employee was let go. The standard template for people trying to find legit background information for a potential hire is: "That person worked for our company from date to date. Their job title was X. They were paid Y." And that's it.

They also state whether or not an employee is eligible for rehire.  Typically employees that were fired are not, while everybody else is.  

They also state whether or not an employee is eligible for rehire. Typically employees that were fired are not, while everybody else is.

Oh, you mean rehire to the same company from which they were terminated? Right, smart.

As for blame properly being placed on a boss who gave particular orders to an employee, real life just doesn't work like that (around here, anyway). The only potential justice in the case of Turbine is when the company is shut down--and I say potential because the whole point of corporate cronyism is to save your ass, so most likely the management will ensure they're sent to other offices. WB is big. Big companies offer many, many places to hide.

I decided to remove the real name.

Reviewing web activity I do not see him associate his real name and alias by himself (others do, but not he, at least not in high ranking pages).

Please understand that this is about what people find in Google quickly when entering his full name. Everybody knows that a careful review (e.g. for employment) can bring this up. That's OK, I just don't want it in the face of potential new employers before research - or his girlfriend for that matter.

I don't get it.

A reasoned review of the initial post found that it contained questionable content. After a thorough, transparent review, it was deemed needing removal.

But there were no infractions? Accusations? Warnings? Contempt for the Poster? I thought that was the only way to run a messageboard.

My world no longer makes sense.

• Upvote 1

RockX was from the first crop of devs who all collectively made the game much less enjoyable for me and many folks I played with. I believe he played a very large role in the Great Loot Revamp that slowly but surely sucked the life out of my kin. Thing is, he didn't even understand the systems he had a hand in putting into place. I saw countless examples of people educating him on the realities of his designs which were not in agreement with the ways he thought they worked.

I wish no ill will on anyone, but certainly hope he doesn't get the chance to ruin another gamer's game. 

RockX was from the first crop of devs who all collectively made the game much less enjoyable for me and many folks I played with. I believe he played a very large role in the Great Loot Revamp that slowly but surely sucked the life out of my kin. Thing is, he didn't even understand the systems he had a hand in putting into place. I saw countless examples of people educating him on the realities of his designs which were not in agreement with the ways he thought they worked.

I wish no ill will on anyone, but certainly hope he doesn't get the chance to ruin another gamer's game. 

There is indeed a high probability he had a hand there, but I don't think his job was entirely bad:

The bonuses were (for the most part) some really interesting bonuses that you wanted on your character.

However, the insanely low droprate and only adressing 2 out of 3 traitlines was completely and utterly ridiculous.

The only thing RockX has for him in those regards is that golden Helms Deep jewellery has the exact same issues despite itemization was given to Verizal. The same concepts of low droprates and only caring for 2/3 lines remains, so you can easily speculate whether RockX is really the man behind those two ridiculous decisions or if those decisions are made by leading Devs like JWBarry.

There is indeed a high probability he had a hand there, but I don't think his job was entirely bad:

The bonuses were (for the most part) some really interesting bonuses that you wanted on your character.

However, the insanely low droprate and only adressing 2 out of 3 traitlines was completely and utterly ridiculous.

The only thing RockX has for him in those regards is that golden Helms Deep jewellery has the exact same issues despite itemization was given to Verizal. The same concepts of low droprates and only caring for 2/3 lines remains, so you can easily speculate whether RockX is really the man behind those two ridiculous decisions or if those decisions are made by leading Devs like JWBarry.

I think, that most likely the decisions which relate to drop rates, itemization and similar things (playing time = money = store etc) are done by management - someone higher in the food chain. Developers are most likely given it as a framework, which they can't change.

I think, that most likely the decisions which relate to drop rates, itemization and similar things (playing time = money = store etc) are done by management - someone higher in the food chain. Developers are most likely given it as a framework, which they can't change.

Ah yes agreed, management is indeed the IMO most probably source of the low droprate, but I'm not sure about the 2/3 traitline issue.

RockX changed his "Rumble Studio Name" to Zephros on the document referenced earlier in this thread.

Does that mean he found a new job?

Not necessarily. He may be using his...normal player handle for communicating on their private-voice-server...or something else to  that effect.