LOTROCommunity

What is your favourite instance in LOTRO and why?

TaffyIX

Sword Halls challenge, lol

I used to love going in there with my Loremaster and a hunter from my old kin - we would 2 man it.  Guess that wasn't too much of a "challenge" really but we had so much fun and giggling I have the best memories from that.  His wild cursing over the bats was always fun, hehe. It was also the one time I could put my bear on aggressive and let him run wild for the most part :)

As a side note, any opportunity to take out my BIG bear instead of my little Forochel tundra cub was always welcome. I remember usually running with my Raven or Eagle depending on the instance, but if by cahnce I did have my bear out it had to be the cub since people would complain about his butt being too big and not being able to see around him, lol! Loved those days, hehe

when it comes to answering this question, it is important to see just how much i haven't ever played, so i'll outline that at the start.

* Big/Epic battles Helms Deep (don't own, never played.)

* Erebor (& road to) cluster, Riders of Rohan (don't own, never played.)

* Draigoch, Rise of Isenguard (don't own, never played.)

* Rise of Isenguard cluster (don't own, never played)

* FTP, (Enedwaith) In Their Absence instance cluster (have access, never got round to it.)

* Sammath Gul & Barad Guldur, Mirkwood cluster (have access, not yet got round to these 2.  have done the others in this cluster.)

* Dar Narbugud & Halls of Crafting, Lothlorian instances (have access, not yet got round to these 2.  have done morror halls & water wheels in both solo & original versions)

* Inn of the Forsaken & Halls of Night, never did these two. not even sure if i own them, never got round to even checking.

* Rift of Nurz Gashu, only really old instance, i have never ran.

all the remaining content that was scaled, or rejiggered, i have run in it's original form, but only a portion of it I have run the scaled versions.  did the old Helegrod 24 man for example, but haven't touched it's newer scaled incarnations.

so what stood out to me?

i liked Forgotten Treasury & Fil Gashen in Moria.  Barad Guluran in Angmar.  & Ost Elendil in Annuminas.

for the why?

i think Fil Gashen was the longest time commitment, but still reasonable.  5-9 player group content is my sweet spot.  variety of fights & unique mob encounters & the pacing was varied, not excessively long grinds through repetitive trash.  interesting settings, with some pleasing visual elements.  the range from easy to difficult, i felt was covered.

The Rift of Nûrz Ghâshu for me too.

It was my first true MMO that I spent time on, and this was my first ever raid. Not just rose spectacles either, no other raid has come close in terms of mechanics and utilizing all of the groups skills - allowing everyone to shine.

Annuminas Palace for me (the original version).  It was the first group instance I ran in which somebody bothered to teach me anything, and I ended up running it a lot with that guy and a few friends of his - practically every day for the last couple months prior to Moria's launch.

OD was probably my favorite raid - different mechanics for each boss, different classes being valuable in different fights, and at least one Ivar T2C KB in which I was the only one alive (RIP, Super-Dorf*)

*(Endurance of Stone, pre-nerf)

• Upvote 1

OD was probably my favorite raid - different mechanics for each boss, different classes being valuable in different fights, and at least one Ivar T2C KB in which I was the only one alive (RIP, Super-Dorf*)*(Endurance of Stone, pre-nerf)

The only thing stopping me from putting OD up there with the greats is the timing. In terms of mechanics and bosses, it was pretty good but it came out something like 6 months before RoI, so there was always a sort of 'what's the point in farming this' to it. Plus, the loot for my main wasn't even that good anyway so there wasn't much in terms of rewards. I pretty much ran it about a dozen times, just to complete the deeds (excluding that retarded Ivar order deed).

Classic Ost Elendil is hands down my favourite ever. Such a brilliantly conceived mechanic to that one.

Also strong contenders are Urugarth and Carn Dum, The Rift (natch) and the original Fornost.

Latterly the Tham Mirdain instances were nice little ones, while in Moria Forgotten Treasury and Forges were probably the best of the bunch. I quite enjoyed Sixteenth Hall, although like Dark Delvings that was one people seldom ran due to its bloody-minded awkwardness.

Finally I always enjoyed Halls of Crafting and Sammath Gul.

After that the quality sharply slid off when Turbine's interest in creating new Instances was clearly on the wane. They phoned it in after that point as far as I'm concerned. Thematically they became dumber, less inventive and more haphazard as time went on. Ost Dunhoth was the very last vestige of coherence being wiped from the game.

CD and Uru for the settings for sure.

3-Man = Seat of the Great Goblin (not the biggest fan of 3's, thought they should have been 4 mans and required a support class and more difficulty)

6-Man = Sari Surma, needed good heals, positioning awareness, following target lead, and allowed for controllable difficulty with the frozen wrath buff/debuff combo

12-Man = Ost Dunhoth, though it suffered from not being at level long enough, it was a pleasant change from BG Trash. Lots of variation in the bosses/wings requiring different player awareness.

Skirmish = Icy Crevasse

Epic Battle = Helms Dike

All at level as launched of course.

Annuminas Palace for me (the original version).

Classic Ost Elendil is hands down my favourite ever. Such a brilliantly conceived mechanic to that one.

I was lucky enough to group up for both Ost Elendil & Glinghant in their original forms, but missed the opportunity for Haudh Valandil...  that one i soloed on my Minstrel at 75 level cap.

but my first Ost Elendil run was a pug & no one had a clue about the mechanic, 2 wipes before we stumbled on the trick.  then the rest of the instance went fairly smooth after.  good fun.

anyway, in my previous post, I didn't include a skirmish.  i generally don't like skirmishes, but i guess the one i loathe the least is Battle in the Tower.

i do wish i had more grouping opportunities, but with such transient populations & or kin drama, or just my inadequate original PC & the down times in the original sub model...  the connections weren't constant enough to make that possible.

then as FTP model advanced, and my disenchantment with it grew, i switched over to GW2 & there didn't seem to be as much point after that.

& of course the issues with lag in the last couple years, performance drops when grouping up...