LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
androclese

I'm impressed...

.. with the dedication to players Trion have been showing.

http://forums.riftgame.com/general-discussions/general-discussion/416393-mounts-account-wide-now.html#post4708761

Mounts that come out of lockboxes (for instance, the Frosty Budgie, or the Black Dire Riding Squirrel) or are only available for credits will indeed be account wide from here on out! My initial note wasn't 100% clear that we were talking about Credit mounts, so I've corrected the notes to be the following:

* Mounts that are acquired from lockboxes, as well as mounts that are only available for credits on the store, are now unlocked for all characters on the account once learned.

We do have to manually do the retroactive grant so previously purchased mounts get added to all characters on the account. It's a time consuming process, as each account has be modified on the back end, but we will definitely announce when it's done. (We will also update the Message of the Day when it's complete!)

They're not only reducing a source of income to make things better for the players, but they're manually editing every account effected to implement the change!

and not only that ...

Contact CS please. When making this change we calculated the number of users this would affect adversely and it was extremely low.

They're actually refunding credits spent on multiple purchases now that the item is account wide, I bet Turbine would never be so fare with their customers.

I've never bought a mount in the LotRO store, are they per character or per account?

Mounts are per-character, except for one or two (I can't remember) that Turbine made account-wide as an experiment recently.

I bought an Obsidian steed in Lotro Store once... Looked like a Goldwing bike! Best 1995TP I ever spent! :D

As stated by Fred, it was character bound.

Could well be a response to WoW's new in game store where all mounts available are account wide. Even the mounts i win in game are accessible to all my chars.

Full list of affected mounts (currently, anyway): http://forums.riftgame.com/general-discussions/general-discussion/416393-mounts-account-wide-now-5.html#post4709442

Add to this the patron change from Greenscale troves to Budgie troves and patron status gains more value too (though still by RNG, but at least the budgie mount would be account bound, not sure if that trove also includes a chance at the squirrel mount).

I was also impressed by Trion's decision-making to release the official update before NA patch day. Daglar said they had to choose between waiting for the next morning or patching immediately when the chat server crashed last night at prime time. Not a great situation for such a decision, but they did their best.

So I checked this evening before work, and indeed my Brown Squirrel and Red-and-Iron Empyreal Mech mounts are now account-wide! To top that off, since apparently there was some sort of delay to getting the mounts switched to account-wide, my wife and I received a nice three-pack of Transcendent Troves, the ones that include 160% potions for damn near everything! We got a 7-pack of those troves last month, when the Patron's potions stopped accruing for a few days, but that at least was a reasonable solution for that problem. The three-pack wasn't expected or requested, but awesome just the same.

This is why I like Trion. Yes, they want to make money, but they always keep player satisfaction as their highest priority.

So I checked this evening before work, and indeed my Brown Squirrel and Red-and-Iron Empyreal Mech mounts are now account-wide! To top that off, since apparently there was some sort of delay to getting the mounts switched to account-wide, my wife and I received a nice three-pack of Transcendent Troves, the ones that include 160% potions for damn near everything! We got a 7-pack of those troves last month, when the Patron's potions stopped accruing for a few days, but that at least was a reasonable solution for that problem. The three-pack wasn't expected or requested, but awesome just the same.

This is why I like Trion. Yes, they want to make money, but they always keep player satisfaction as their highest priority.

The 3 extra Transcendent Troves are a "sorry box" for the chat server issues players have been experiencing since patch 2.6.

The 3 extra Transcendent Troves are a "sorry box" for the chat server issues players have been experiencing since patch 2.6.

Makes sense, still it was nice of them to do.

You should get a "writ of silence" too which when used gives you a title something along the lines of "the silenced" or something like that, it was requested by players on the forum and granted almost immediately, now that's catering to your customer if I ever saw it.

Wow this gets even better. People are getting mounts they shouldn't have, for example ones they bought by accident and had refunded and ones they bought on the test server, and Daglars response ....

Congrats on your new mounts. Enjoy!

We'll call this "Steve's Gift" -- since no one mentioned to Steve to remove such transactions from the list

~Daglar

"We screwed up, and the only way to fix it and not be unfair is to just give away a bunch of stuff to make up for your frustration and thank you for your patience, because we want to keep you around."

That is pretty much customer service done right in a nutshell.

It's not like they have overwhelming material and manufacturing costs, so I don't see why that isn't the standard philosophy across the board. Even anet has pulled douchebaggery in that regard.

Wow this gets even better. People are getting mounts they shouldn't have, for example ones they bought by accident and had refunded and ones they bought on the test server, and Daglars response ....

That's quite surprising. More surprising that someone failed to filter them out, and that their test-transactions are in the same ...report/list as their real ones.

It's not like they have overwhelming material and manufacturing costs, so I don't see why that isn't the standard philosophy across the board. Even anet has pulled douchebaggery in that regard.

I agree it should be the standard, problem is so many of these companies are running by accountants who know nothing about customer service and al they think about is the bottom line and not the customer, over the years I've done a lot of mangerial/supervisory jobs in various customer related trades including a lot of retail and one thing I always asked trainees was "what is the most important product in the shop" and when they said they didn't know or just pointed out some random product I would point at a customer and say "no, that's our most important product, without them we would never make any money".

I think it is because they come up with some convoluted formula to determine the dollar value of virtual items. Once they start down that rat hole they never climb out.

They are not providing pixels, they are providing connection time.

I agree it should be the standard, problem is so many of these companies are running by accountants who know nothing about customer service and al they think about is the bottom line and not the customer, over the years I've done a lot of mangerial/supervisory jobs in various customer related trades including a lot of retail and one thing I always asked trainees was "what is the most important product in the shop" and when they said they didn't know or just pointed out some random product I would point at a customer and say "no, that's our most important product, without them we would never make any money".

I'm convinced that much of Trion's "Players First" attitude comes right from the CEO himself, Scott Hartsman. When he was just the guy running "Rift", and then when he was put in charge of all of Trion's games, they were very oriented around player satisfaction. Frequent updates, lots of clear communications with the staff, etc. When he left the company for a while, things started to slip a bit. Less frequent updates, more corporate-speak in communications, etc. But now that Scott is back, and in charge of the whole company, the overall tone has returned back to what it was when he was Creative Director. And that's freaking awesome!

Though if the rest of the company's direction/culture slipped a bit while he was away, that's kind of scary too. It's great to have a leader with an approach in-line with the constituency, but if it's emanating from only a single point, well... I mean, I'd really hope this kind of approach is more uniform as an actual company culture.

Poor Trion, though, as chat/mail faltered yet again last night and they had to do a hotfix in the wee hours. Well, I happily put "the Speechless" title on an alt (suggested by one forum member and quickly voted up by everyone else, lol).

The "skill spheres" in the sorry-chests are sure helping my dream weaving trade skill. :P

Oh, and there's a mount sale going on today too. Remember only the credit-only or lockbox-only mounts are supposed to be account-wide. Lavendar hellbug available for 9 hours at this moment.

This is very cool. I wondered why I received all those goodies in the mail. So apparently, we love Scott. :)

Cannot imagine Turbine doing any of this. Too bad they don't see how this sort of nice behavior attracts players. Makes me want to spend more money on the game to be honest. I like to reinforce positive behavior. 

I like to reinforce positive behavior.

Same here. I'm sure the account-wide part has to do with competing with WoW, but it's still an optional gesture in any case, and Trion probably got quite a bit revenue between that gesture and the subsequent short-term limited mount sales. I think this will be a good thing for them in the long run (seriously, how are they going to make money since 100% of the content is free). I ended up buying one of the cheaper premium mounts for my lower alts.

Could well be a response to WoW's new in game store where all mounts available are account wide. Even the mounts i win in game are accessible to all my chars.

been like that in WoW for a long time. every mount is accessible by every character. so this could not be a response to any recent change in WoW.

been like that in WoW for a long time. every mount is accessible by every character. so this could not be a response to any recent change in WoW.

Ah, gotcha. Good move either way for Trion, though.

Yeah, it is good of Trion. They have always been quite good with their customers. They way they respond when there is a game problem puts Lotro's team to shame. Clear communication, apologies to players if something is not working, and a rush to get it patched quick.

It could in fact be influenced by WoW (probably is), but just wanted to point out this is not like "WoW did this, and quickly Trion followed" as Bango thought maybe happened.