LOTROCommunity

2014 Player Council

Crell_1

Why on earth would anyone want to join the Player Council when it has zero credibility?

As for people such as Frickinmuck etc they would be right at home there.

Because by being part of this retarded 'elite' Turbine have concocted, you get to see the inner workings that no one else is allowed (and, in some cases, use that to slam people down because 'I know and you don't').

LOTRO council is a waste of time in my opinion. If you want to see how a decent council operates then start with Eve online's CSM (now in year 8 I think). CSM members are elected by eligible players (must have an account in good standing for previous 30 days). CSM dedicated forum allows players to communicate directly with the council. CSM is flown to Iceland at least twice a year for meetings with minutes that are relayed back to the entire player base. Yes, NDA's are signed and certain aspects of CSM / Developer discussions are not discussed with players. New expansions often fall into this area, and that's acceptable I think.

What LOTRO has is a chummy gathering once in a while that Rick takes out to lunch. Maybe a beer or two and a chat with a dev after. That's what I surmise because nothing the council ever does is communicated first hand to players. At best it is a tiny proportion of the player base putting forward their own agenda.

Here are the latest minutes from CSM8 in August 2013: http://cdn1.eveonline.com/community/csm/CSM8_August_Summit_Minutes.pdf

Heres the more amusing sub-forum for CSM discusion: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=topics&f=268

Sorry but I totally disagree, CSM is a hot house for GOONs, a huge chunk of them are SA Goons and they manipulate the CSM to their own ends, it's a sham.

Because by being part of this retarded 'elite' Turbine have concocted, you get to see the inner workings that no one else is allowed (and, in some cases, use that to slam people down because 'I know and you don't').

If they got to see the real inner workings it would cause some of them to have a seizure - finding out that their precious lotro is now nothing more than a one man and his dog operation.

Sorry but I totally disagree, CSM is a hot house for GOONs, a huge chunk of them are SA Goons and they manipulate the CSM to their own ends, it's a sham.

One member one vote brother. If you mean goons are getting the vote out then thats politics, and an elected council is a political entity.

One member one vote brother. If you mean goons are getting the vote out then thats politics, and an elected council is a political entity.

I have to agree with you Holdum, the success of CFC, Goonswarm etc is down to the fact that they have better leadership and organisation ability. That they've been able to translate their ever growing power in the game into not only a power base in the CSM but I would also argue a strong hold over CCP itself, then they're reaping the rewards for their hard work. Good luck to them.

If you truly believe that the reason Goons are in the CSM is because they were voted in then you are a bigger fool than I thought. They're in there because they have an inside track with CCP.

2. Players will be allowed to state that they have relayed <whatever> to the developers, but will be unable to share their responses

There's still Devs left???

What good is a 40 member player council if theres only 3 or 4 maintenance mode devs running the show.

This game is long past done, stick a fork in it, all this player council crap is a facade to whats left of the player base trying to trick them into thinking this is a game worth playing AND paying for.

Crell I admire your positive attitude but its time to hang up the dagger.

Sap™ and Lotro (backed by Warner Bro$) together have really turned me off of all MMOs. While I still have GW2, if that game shuttered today I wouldnt be sad and I wouldnt wonder what my next MMO would be.

Im still sore after $1000s spent in this game only to have my toons with played times approaching 9-12 months completely destroyed and the entire world monetized and any dissension on the official forums met with swift rebuttals by fanbois and rapid infractions from its Neighborhood Watch goon Sapience™

Given the following assumptions, list who you would most like to see on the players council for 2014 if they'd accept the position.

1. No repeat members from 2013

2. Players will be allowed to state that they have relayed <whatever> to the developers, but will be unable to share their responses

3. The game continues to operate for the entirety of 2014.

(Aside) Would you like the current player council members to have an opportunity to weigh in on what they think of the canidates before their term expires?

If we want the game to even start to turn around, this is pretty much the only way its going to happen.

I don't recall reading the "aside" last night so I either missed the significance of it on first read or it was an edit.

I choose to believe the Player Council wanted to do a good job for the game they love but NDA and other constraints prevent us from really knowing what they did or how well they did it... that said I think their input on this years candidates would be very helpful indeed. Perhaps this could act as an alternative to or a "check and balance" for PC selection rather than to have Turbine "declare from on high" the PC composition. This is a very good idea Crell IMO.

Edit: I don't like to put people on the spot by putting up their names for such things but since I mentioned Valkrist in my first post here I'll respond to the OP request and make it official. During BETA her posts were an absolute pleasure to read and it's a shame that the BETA forums were removed so I can't link them. I do believe Valkrist posts here under a different name (just a guess on my part from the post style and quality) so perhaps she could speak for herself here or on the official forums.

There are other names I could put up but as I said I don't like to put people on the spot and I have no wish to deserve their wrath. :)

Optimism is an odd beast. There are some who find optimism in death even, as there is the afterlife to consider... I think most people's time is better spent on a boat that rests solidly above the waterline. That would not be LotRO. The game has gone downhill overall for the past several years - getting worse every year. It's so predictable that it's hardly even worth paying attention anymore, much less paying at all.

The game will not turn around because it serves WB's purpose for now. It's all about monetization. The entertainment factor is a mindless afterthought.

I did apply for the last one (my last shred of optimism), but I'm not going to this time.

Mainly because I don't believe in it, in it's current format. Also because I have infractions and after my banning/reinstatement I doubt I'm in Sap's good books. Lastly because I'm pretty much an unknown anyway, and wouldn't say I've particularly earned any recognition (unlike folks like Fredelas etc.).

Lastly because I'm pretty much an unknown anyway, and wouldn't say I've particularly earned any recognition (unlike folks like Fredelas etc.).

You don't have to be 'known' to apply or get selected. While a fair few of the first council were probably 'known', quite a few likely weren't.

I would love to see the heydts on there, crossbow, that mar eveveveve thing, nymphonic, Halperin, and any number of the standard minions. I think it would make the forum instances much more entertaining.

I don't see how it would make things worse at all.

It will happen soon enough, since there will be the only one left playing logging into the game.

You don't have to be 'known' to apply or get selected. While a fair few of the first council were probably 'known', quite a few likely weren't.

This is accurate. In fact, being a known quantity may harm you more than being unknown, because it means they already have a pretty good idea what your feedback will be like.

I doubt I'm in Sap's good books. Lastly because I'm pretty much an unknown anyway, and wouldn't say I've particularly earned any recognition (unlike folks like Fredelas etc.).

Thats the beauty of having multiple people look at the apps. Not everyone has to be your fan. I mean, look at Starvo =)

Edit: I don't like to put people on the spot by putting up their names for such things but since I mentioned Valkrist in my first post here I'll respond to the OP request and make it official. During BETA her posts were an absolute pleasure to read and it's a shame that the BETA forums were removed so I can't link them. I do believe Valkrist posts here under a different name (just a guess on my part from the post style and quality) so perhaps she could speak for herself here or on the official forums.

That's Kaleigh from Landroval.  I'd be surprised if she was interested in the Council but who knows?  She's a roleplayer and writer extraordinaire.  Not sure her interests lay in Player Council dealings but she's the type of person who would take a holistic view of the responsibilities and look out for everyone.

Calling a focus group a "council" was a mistake in my opinion as it opens itself up to just those comparisons.

Probably. The naming was surely done with the focus of the LOTR background anyway.

They just failed to make it clearer that the PC is not really much more than a focus group.

ETA:

More on topic I do not really want to nominate someone.

I guess the person needs to want to do it.

As you want to do it Crell I think you would be a great addition to it.

If you get chosen I hope it would not crush your optimism while being in there.

As for your assumptions: Of what I understood from Sapience, they will allow a select few from current PC to stay PC the coming year:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?539143-Hobbits-to-Isengard-Q-A-with-Sapience-notes-on-what-was-said&p=7083689#post7083689

I'm quite torn between 2 outcomes:

1. I join the PC just to see the madness from within, runaway screaming.

2. Noone applies to PC at all.

I find both of those outcomes intriguing, but sadly they're both very very improbable :(

You don't need any of us to tell you whether or not to apply, Crell.  If being on the council is something you want to do, go for it, and good luck.

I'm planning to. I was curious what people thought about having existing members weigh in on the selection process, and what other players you all thought would make a good fit. It's hardly a council if it's only one voice after all.

players council, is a joke.

if you want to waste your time and effort, knock yourself out.

the only way i'd endorse you doing such is, if i hated your guts.

i do not support your decision to apply, nor do i think it will make one bit of difference.

there are better things to direct your time and effort too, that won't be like throwing them into a void.

Agree 100% it was nothing but a bad pr stunt

If it was something I had the slightest bit of faith in (which I don't), I would only want random player invites, or to put it another way, anyone who wants to be in it should never be allowed.

I think the same about management, if someone wants to be one then usually they want the power etc and are usually the worst possible person to consider.

All the players council has done is to create another layer of silence.

It should never have been formed and the sooner it goes the better.

• Upvote 1

I'm planning to. I was curious what people thought about having existing members weigh in on the selection process, and what other players you all thought would make a good fit. It's hardly a council if it's only one voice after all.

Thats the point, its not a council, its a focus group, and using the same focus group over and over again for a year does not make sense to me.

Plus if you did get in, you wouldnt be able to post on here and it would be mindnumbing cringy if every other post you hinted at knowing more than we do but are not allowed to say.

On a side note, my old kin drew up a list of names they thought Sapience would pick for last year, and your name was one of the ones mentioned most. At the time, I didn't know who you were.

Plus if you did get in, you wouldnt be able to post on here and it would be mindnumbing cringy if every other post you hinted at knowing more than we do but are not allowed to say.

On a side note, my old kin drew up a list of names they thought Sapience would pick for last year, and your name was one of the ones mentioned most. At the time, I didn't know who you were.

One should always know more than they say. I'd still participate here and there on public matters. I'm very good at compartmentalizing information.

Sounds like an interesting list. I'm curious just who else was on it.  As for not knowing who I was, it shows you just how large the community can be, and how we only tend to know about people who travel in the same circles/have similar interests to us. No big deal =)

I regretted not applying as the year went on, especially after getting a chance to experience the trait-revamp hands on, instead of just contemplating whatever tidbits of info I could find on the internet.

I think both Spitefull and Crell would be just fine for a proper LoTRO PC. I say that even though I think they probably support aspects i think are inconsequential, or at least aren't things I feel are important.

The problem as everyone points out is in the evaluation of the word "proper".

1. I join the PC just to see the madness from within, runaway screaming.

If you want to join for this reason, you will be sorely dissappointed, to the extreme. That isn't even lipstick, it's a pig with a dirty sanchez (dirty swinechez?)

My experiences on the PC made me quit playing the game long before I would have otherwise. But, as a kinleader, raid leader, fomentor of fun, and all around "instigator of having fun in LotRO", I was (foolishly) absolutely not their target audience.

If you are a solo, ultra-casual, non-raiding, non-grouping, cosmetic junkie, who is happy just TALKING about change (even if none of it ever happens), excited to just have an inside scoop to everything going on, especially because others don't, then by all means, apply. Your seat (mine, on which I left a giant, cold TSK turd for you) awaits. Who knows, you might be responsible for the next great thing... Like new horse speeds. ooooooooo. /sarcasm

If you want to enjoy playing the game, such as it is, don't join the PC. It's really, really that simple. I can't enjoy the game anymore. I hate it. But for the simple minded, for whom it now caters, have a ball. Checkers is actually fun, too, so there is definitely an audience they are catering to. It isn't me though, or anyone I know.

Though if the OF are to be believed, I suppose arthritic 80+ year olds fit the demographic though. LOL.

Does anyone who visits this forum thinks they fit the PC mentality? I haven't seen that person here yet. Once the veil is pierced, you cannot unsee past it.