LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
The_One_Pie

Pando no longer safe....

Windows PC Technical Support

.....Which no one goes to unless they're already having problems (and then half the time they post to General first anyway).

Turbine: never fail to fail.

Seriously, put a notice in General or Official statements. No one will see it in Tech support.

It's in the dev tracker.Doesnt everyone just stalk the dev-tracker? Only the bluename posts are important after all.

I used to only follow the "recent posts" list that covers all the subforums. Back when there was interesting activity on the forums. Eh, whatever.

I uninstall it via the Control Panel. I always boot into Safe Mode when uninstalling stuff, specifically to avoid any issues with running processes, etc.

However, after each update, I'd find it was back. It was a never-ending circle, and I finally got tired of chasing my tail and left it installed, at least until a couple of days ago, when the message to update got really, really annoying.

Of course, that was on my old system. My new one, which is about a year old, doesn't have it installed (I downloaded via Steam; afaik, I've never been asked to install Pando on this system). Maybe something changed?

Not sure, but Pando has never re-installed itself on any of my systems when I've had to patch LOTRO.

Not entirely sure what was going on there, but it's never been an issue for me.

The last time I downloaded any install files, I uninstalled Pando before I installed LOTRO, as you only needed it for the downloading of the installation files.

Now though, not sure what'll happen for new downloads of the install files.

Suppose people can use Steam.

Now though, not sure what'll happen for new downloads of the install files.

Suppose people can use Steam.

All of the download links on the main lotro.com web site have been changed to use the progressive (HappyCloud) installer.

A fresh download of the Bullroarer client still requires Pando, but maybe we'll see new links for that for U13.

A notice was also added to the top of the launcher news around 7 PM U.S. Eastern Time.

Did anybody see information on how specifically the bad update comes together?

Options I can see:

1) security hole in the old pando

2) legally bought the assets to the old pando and using the regular update mechanism to push a bad update

Would be curious to know.

So, they've informed via the Launcher, Facebook, the Official Forums(yes, I know it was in the Tech Support section, and not in the Official Announcement section, where it should've been) and twitter.

I would think they've used all the avenues available to them to inform all players, short of sending everyone with an account an e-mail regarding this, and how many of those would go straight into junk folders?

We've also done our bit to inform here!

Too bad that Turbine has made itself liable for any damage that was done via Pando installs.  Yes, Turbine has a blanket disclaimer about it's own software, but it doesn't have that disclaimer concerning third-party software.

Too bad that Turbine has made itself liable for any damage that was done via Pando installs.  Yes, Turbine has a blanket disclaimer about it's own software, but it doesn't have that disclaimer concerning third-party software.

The disclaimer isn't worth much anyway if you are later grossly negligent.

In this case Turbine has never properly informed people what Pando is actually doing (peer to peer), so they disabled informed decision making on part of the customer. Although all software on the market today is full of security holes (known or not yet known), p2p is making it much worse.

I'm glad you guys mentioned this security issue with Pando. Turns out my wife still had it installed on her laptop, but luckily it did not get infected. Pando removed, as was LOTRO (since she hasn't played since RoI launched).

So are they keeping this on the launcher for everyone to see? I would think they would need it up for a week at least to make sure players actually see it. Since there is no sticky or thread on the General forum over there.

It's still up as of the time of this post. No idea how long they'll leave it up. If I were to guess, I'd say until U13 at least.

So DDO's U21 went live today with Akamai

http://www.akamai.com/html/solutions/client_faq.html

Problems: 1. The client requires it be installed with the license agreed to, even after the initial client install (tested by uninstalling). (Uninstalling forces a new prompt to relicense it when starting the normal launcher, it then installs silently)

2. It doesnt terminate the processes when exiting the client

3. The 'disable upload' button that the FAQ says should be there, isn't.

4. Clearly it's not NEEDED after the initial install, because it can be forcibly terminated, even mid-client patching process to no ill-effect.

5. Even after poking around I couldn't coax it into not starting every time the PC starts up. (Probably forgot to check one of the start-up registry keys, but it doesn't have an option in preferences and it's not a service.)

Can't believe I'm saying this, but I want Pando back.

Almost makes me wish Turbine would let us put the existing BR client up somewhere, but it probably wouldnt matter once they pushed U13 anyway.

Time to teach people how to use Pylotro (or the DDO equivalent)!

SUH Crell!  no that is just desperation talking.

and with regard to the rest of the subject matter...

CHRIST ON A BIKE TURBINE!

get your damn head into the game!  this half assed bullshit is killing your company.  whomever the fuck is authorizing these decisions from corporate; take them out front & hang them by the neck, from a tree.

side note:

glad i still have all my original "Tangible" CD's from Moria back to SoA.

SUH Crell!  no that is just desperation talking.

side note:

glad i still have all my original "Tangible" CD's from Moria back to SoA.

Wont matter. I'll bet it updates through to U13, and you're exactly where I am with DDO.

Pando's virtue? I could uninstall it after the initial download and NEVER see it again.

Or use Steam and avoid it entirely.

All the more reason it shouldnt force me to install it and agree to it with every single 'official launcher' use.

I play on Linux but use SNy's startscript which is great (http://sny.name/LOTRO/).

I never tried pylotro on Windows.

(I just tried to get Rift running on Linux as well this weekend but that still needs tweaking as performance is really bad)

Forcing any third party software on us is baddy bad especially if it is not even needed.

So DDO's U21 went live today with Akamai

http://www.akamai.com/html/solutions/client_faq.html

Problems: 1. The client requires it be installed with the license agreed to, even after the initial client install (tested by uninstalling). (Uninstalling forces a new prompt to relicense it when starting the normal launcher, it then installs silently)

2. It doesnt terminate the processes when exiting the client

3. The 'disable upload' button that the FAQ says should be there, isn't.

4. Clearly it's not NEEDED after the initial install, because it can be forcibly terminated, even mid-client patching process to no ill-effect.

5. Even after poking around I couldn't coax it into not starting every time the PC starts up. (Probably forgot to check one of the start-up registry keys, but it doesn't have an option in preferences and it's not a service.)

Almost makes me wish Turbine would let us put the existing BR client up somewhere, but it probably wouldnt matter once they pushed U13 anyway.

FFS seriously? "Akamai" is one of those ubiquitous data-gathering advertising services I block in my web browsing. This has the stench of Zynga all over it.

I suppose Steam is the only way to go for Turbine games now; the third party crap beyond Steam wouldn't be included, right?

FFS seriously? "Akamai" is one of those ubiquitous data-gathering advertising services I block in my web browsing. This has the stench of Zynga all over it.

I suppose Steam is the only way to go for Turbine games now; the third party crap beyond Steam wouldn't be included, right?

If DDO's client's implementation is what they wind up using for Lotro. Wrong. Seriously. Steam will of course, invoke the normal launcher, and thus Akamai; Making it impossible to pay for TP using Steam $, or track your usage for Steam's metrics without using it. I'm waiting for a reply from the DDO QA member who dared to say that Turbine doesnt use the P2P feature. I'm considering adding #6. I dont see why Akamai needs to be authorized to gather my data for advertising purposes, when Turbine (and by extension WB) is the company I'm paying to play a game.

PS: You may be able to avoid it entirely by using a 3rd party launcher such as Pylotro, for EVERYTHING but they can have issues of their own (though I've never had one.)