LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Trilwych

Carnival of the Ascended

Patch 2.6 Hotfix #6: http://forums.riftgame.com/general-discussions/patch-notes/417726-rift-2-6-hotfix-6na-2-26-14-10-00-am-pst-eu-2-27-14-2-00-am-gmt.html

For the third year in a row, the Carnival is in Telara! The festivities start on February 27th at 3:30PM server time, and it runs until March 13th.

I'm sure there will be a guide for it later this week, otherwise you can see what last year's was like (there may be major changes this time around, so who knows): http://rift.junkiesnation.com/2013/03/08/carnival-of-the-ascended-2013-guide/

Oh thank you all for posting about this! I'm such a noob, I never know what's coming until you tell me, or I find out accidentally in the game. yourock.gif

Okay, so apparently there's a trick to doing the weekly (50 games) in only a few minutes. The quests are sharable and the games are repeatable, which means you join a public RAID and everyone does stuff together--I was invited into a balloon pop raid, and got the 50 game turn-ins quickly (everyone should remember to turn in and pick up another repeatable). You can also very quickly stack up the ticket currency this way by repeatedly accepting/turning in the game quest (balloon pop is the easiest).

P.S.: Smite the carnival pinatas around the zones if you see them... They're a good source of glass beads (always mentor down to the pinata level) and can drop other stuff. I've already gotten one of the carnival pets and a random cosmetic piece tonight from the pinatas.

Ah, that would explain the dragon pinata I came across whilst questing in the droughtlands. Tough little bugger but I got it open in the end. Now to see what to do with the glass beads

Oh yeah, and Trion REMOVED the world event barter NPCs so the only way to spend festival currency is to open the store window > World Event, which is more convenient, I guess. Though that also means you won't be able to buy festival stuff at off-times of the year since Trion makes that store section available only during the festival period.

I don't like any of this year's carnival pets, meh, but the Valmera cub you can get for 50 glass beads is cute...

A strategy guide if you're really after something specific (e.g. creepy robot spider mount).

http://riftgrate.com/2014/02/27/guide-carnival-strategies/

Note: People have noticed this carnival lasts only 2 weeks while the previous ones were 3, and we wouldn't be able to get the 3rd weekly doubloon. A dev has confirmed on the Rift forums that the second weekly should award two doubloons.

I noticed in my world event Achievements for this carnival it lists an eating and fashion contest, but I cannot find them. Will those games be added later? I may just be missing their location.

I believe those are in the second stage.

Edit: Why is this year's anniversary carnival 2 weeks instead of 3?

We actually got some volume of complaints that it simply ran to long in previous years. A bit of event fatigue.

We were interested in trying out two weeks and see how people respond. If there is a giant outcry, then maybe we'll run a third week during the month at some point :)

~Daglar

Thanks Trilwych! I hope they extend it to 3 weeks. I'll never get all my alts thru everything in two.

Be sure to join any public quest raid if you're after a significant number of tickets; I just mouseover and select someone who's in a public raid in the carnival games area, click their portrait's little green "join" icon, and start doing some of the repeatable quests.

Yes, I was invited as soon as I rode into the balloon area. Got my 50 really fast that way. It was funny watching everyone jump around on their mounts to pop the balloons. I've been zapping the pinata dragon thingies too. I lower my mentoring lvl to get as many glass beads as I can. Haven't bought anything with my tokens yet, except some of the food for the achievement. I may work on earning the new dimension; though it's such a huge space it seems a little daunting to decorate. 

I've been hopping around as well in the carnival, and I can just wonder about this lag-free event... All those people jumping up and down in the same small area, surely it must be a hoax? B)

But I have found currency from oooooold festivals - dragon tears and magma opal, are those to be thrown away or used later?

I've been hopping around as well in the carnival, and I can just wonder about this lag-free event... All those people jumping up and down in the same small area, surely it must be a hoax? B)

But I have found currency from oooooold festivals - dragon tears and magma opal, are those to be thrown away or used later?

Unfortunately, Rift does have "extinct" currency. According to Patch 1.9 notes, Dragon tears and magma opals are obsolete:

http://forums.riftgame.com/general-discussions/general-discussion/317191-world-event-merchant-changes-1-9-a.html

You can toss them.

Phase 2 just landed, and the second weekly quest gives 2 doubloons as expected so you can get your mount or dimension or whatever. Man, public grouping is so awesome for these things... :P

Are you all bothering to earn the new dimension, Castle Fortune, from the carnival? I visited it and found it a bit too desert-y. I suppose I could change it with lots of plants, but I already have a couple desert dimensions. Do you procure all the dimensions you can just for the fun of it, or are you more discerning? I'm starting to craft dimensions with my dream weaver. Soon I'll need to buy extra slots if I want the good dimensions to be active.  

I got both winter and carnival dimension keys but haven't slotted them; since they're both BoE, and because I'm sticking with one "main" dimension on each character, I may just sell the keys on the AH. The fact that with loyalty you end up with multiple dimensions is a bit trying on my limited creative juices already. :P Also, I can't get the crafted Life ground texture to work, seems like it has graphical bugs. :(

• Upvote 1

Yay! My wife failed to do the weekly quest the first week, which put her one doubloon short of a mount this week. Now she'll be able to do it next week as well, and get herself Aurora (moist likely, she doesn't like the spider mounts, and already has Nebula).

Well, I'm not sure if they're going to award a fourth doubloon since this week's doubloon gave two and normally all the festivals only give 3 (can't seem to find any chatter about it, too tired)...

Well, I'm not sure if they're going to award a fourth doubloon since this week's doubloon gave two and normally all the festivals only give 3 (can't seem to find any chatter about it, too tired)...

They won't have to. Since my wife failed to do the weekly quest during the first week, when she did the weekly yesterday, she was awarded one doubloon, while I was awarded two. Next week, she should be able to do the weekly and receive two doubloons (basically doing the 2nd week's weekly quest), while the rest of us receive no doubloons (having already received our three total).

She had one doubloon left over from last year (which is why she has 2 now), so worst case scenario is that she goes into the 4th anniversary next year needing only one more to get a mount.

Ooohhhhh. Well good for her. :) This is a great game festival, how it SHOULD be done. A nice array of game quests, currency drops from different sources (even a raid quest), repeatables are spammable except the weekly, and Trion even increased the ticket payout from last year's carnival (though there's also a lot more stuff to barter for too). So anyone can easily participate in exactly the things they want---not to mention PUBLIC GROUPING. <3

Ooohhhhh. Well good for her. :) This is a great game festival, how it SHOULD be done. A nice array of game quests, currency drops from different sources (even a raid quest), repeatables are spammable except the weekly, and Trion even increased the ticket payout from last year's carnival (though there's also a lot more stuff to barter for too). So anyone can easily participate in exactly the things they want---not to mention PUBLIC GROUPING. <3

Yes, public grouping makes all the difference. My wife didn't know what to expect from the Balloon Raid, as we didn't do that last year, preferring to duo and play all the games to do the weekly quests. So when we jumped into the melee she was getting annoyed not having any balloons to pop (since they were all being taken by others in the raid, until I pointed out that we were done with the daily and weekly quest. Took about two minutes.