LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
LasraelLarson

Time Warner investing in Trion Worlds...

Turbine definitely didn't screw up LOTRO after the takeover.

However, I am a bit concerned about their influence when they were an investor, and later a potential buyer.

Well, they went after Turbine for their free to play business model, not their properties. Maybe Warner have finally realised that Turbine's business model is ultimately unsustainable in the long term and see Trion's as a superior one to invest in now.

As an aside, Warner kind of cheese me off. They're a typical 'outside' organisation with no experience or knowledge of the industry they've entered, swaggering into the gaming industry and expecting to own it all, just because they've done it elsewhere. They adopt the same tactics they use in other media and throw money around and short-change customers, but they don't realise that the gaming industry is unique and tactics used elsewhere won't wash with their new customer base.

It wouldn't be so bad if they kept a hands-off policy and simply invested in other developers, leaving them to it. But they've got it into their heads that they can take the creative lead themselves and develop in-house. But they haven't got a clue how to develop decent games or how to foster a non-toxic attitude among their customers.

Warner are used to outputting things in a hurry, but you can't fast-track a game through production in the same way you can a film or TV show. You don't have to worry about a film or TV show working properly. Any company that can half-ass the Arkham franchise with Origins and then refuse to patch it should be chased out of the gaming industry as quickly as our collective purchasing power can manage.

People who forget the past are doomed to repeat it. Again and again. Most likely WB is putting eggs into different baskets and seeing what works best. They should have a good idea now how not to destroy a game with a massive IP, seeing as how they've watched it happen. A lot depends on how aggressive they are in taking control, and that depends on how high a percentage of stock they own, and the type of stock it is. Less than %50 of any voting stock and they can suggest all they want, but not force.

Any company that can half-ass the Arkham franchise with Origins and then refuse to patch it should be chased out of the gaming industry as quickly as our collective purchasing power can manage.

perfect time for this vlog:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j928o4i4B2A

Warners move into the gaming sphere has left quite a stink in whatever wake they've had a hand in making.  until Warner show a completely different approach, their whole digital gaming operation is cause for concern.

& if they are investing in Trion, the potential they'd leverage that at some point is...  noteworthy.

as to what i think of Rift?  when it launched, my initial observation was same-samey (and not in a good way)  & the different i didn't care for one bit.  i didn't like what i saw.  & that opinion hasn't changed much since, though the new housing concept is interesting.  still not enough to get me to try however.

& if it ever came to Trion making a Tolkien MMO for Warner...  i'd be disappointed.