LOTROCommunity

What did you guys think of "Gravity"

Ifreborn

I didn't like it and I felt uncomfortable watching it at times.  

But for those 2 reasons it was one of the best movies ever made.  It really sucks you in and toys with you.  In ways it is like a horror movie master piece, in other ways a great sci-fi tale.

Wont spoil it for those that have not watched it yet....

but watch it.

o after you watch the movie read "Hate" by Arthur c. Clark.  You will really appreciate the ending!

Without any spoilers then. The first 20 minutes are incredible, jaw dropping, stunning, I wish I could have seen it at IMAX 3D but I moved house in 2010 and I'm 200 miles from the nearest. Some landmark camera work, of particular note is the transition scene that actually moves from a traditional pan into a PoV shot... watch for it.

I left extremely dissapointed for well documented nerdy reasons. Yes, they really matter.

I would second reading ACC however as Clarke understands Newton's laws of motion. If you're not bothered by the distiction between the coriolis effect and centrifugal force perhaps you can get to the end without laughing.

I think I know what I didn't like about it. I think it's because they try to make these films 'realistic', but then throw it all away with the way the cast acts. They don't try to act realistically, they act like they're in a film. They are given scripts and dialogue like it's a film. And that's because that is how Hollywood do their films. They like films that are very 'american', with all the 'god damn it, I'm so damn emotional but damn is this just not the most difficult damn situation ever... damn it!'.

In their efforts to make a realistic film, they are still forced to make it 'entertaining' and so take any realism from it. So the end result is something that feels forced.

Watching that in 3d on a large screen was difficult at times, owing to the brains insane ability to internalize large pictures similar to IMAX. Had to look away a couple times to ground my body back to reality, the spinning was pretty intense in the opening sequences. Looks OK in 3d at home too in 42" 3D. Story made sense, considering the amount of trash flying around the planet even now. I'd recommend it.

Watching that in 3d on a large screen was difficult at times, owing to the brains insane ability to internalize large pictures similar to IMAX. Had to look away a couple times to ground my body back to reality, the spinning was pretty intense in the opening sequences. Looks OK in 3d at home too in 42" 3D. Story made sense, considering the amount of trash flying around the planet even now. I'd recommend it.

Some aspects of the story made sense because they are infact quite probable. Kessler syndrome, or ablation cascade is a realistic problem http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kessler_syndrome

The real problem many have is the lack of attention to physics. Excusable to our 'Merican friends I suppose as they don't seem to like teaching much science these days. Case in point, the man in my avatar. :+

Netflix didn't deliver it yet :mad:

I hope netflix ups their prices and gives us more timely mailed disks and a more expansive online selection. This is really one area where I'd happily pay.

I mean I pay $95 for a small cable TV package not even having all the non-premium channels I want and I pay $8 for online movies that is already better (but not quite there). And the $95 company sits at the controls to cut off my bandwidth from the $8 company. WTF?

Oops, sorry :)

High utility bill here. Even my Internet just came out much more expensive.

Some aspects of the story made sense because they are infact quite probable. Kessler syndrome, or ablation cascade is a realistic problem http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kessler_syndrome

The real problem many have is the lack of attention to physics. Excusable to our 'Merican friends I suppose as they don't seem to like teaching much science these days. Case in point, the man in my avatar. :+

hollywood as a rule isnt very 'Merican they are their own little world.

i live in the south out in the country..and most of the rednecks i know out here didnt like it for nerdy reasons.

that being said...Big Bang Theory does make fun of the movie Gravity in a recent episode...i just cant recall which one.

that being said...Big Bang Theory does make fun of the movie Gravity in a recent episode...i just cant recall which one.

Oh, is that the one where Sheldon says something supposedly clever but socially unaware, Leonard makes a sarcastic joke that Sheldon doesn't get and pulls a weird face where he tilts his head back and wrinkles his nose, Howard points out he's a Jew or shouts something at his stereotypical Jew mother, Rajesh says something about himself being a lonely Indian, Penny pulls an unimpressed face and does her best to annoy the audience, and the whole thing is pebble-dashed with 'geek/nerd' references because those are just so damn funny? Oh wait...

Oh, is that the one where Sheldon says something supposedly clever but socially unaware, Leonard makes a sarcastic joke that Sheldon doesn't get and pulls a weird face where he tilts his head back and wrinkles his nose, Howard points out he's a Jew or shouts something at his stereotypical Jew mother, Rajesh says something about himself being a lonely Indian, Penny pulls an unimpressed face and does her best to annoy the audience, and the whole thing is pebble-dashed with 'geek/nerd' references because those are just so damn funny? Oh wait...

watch some clips without the laugh track and you'll really see how lame it is.

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni56264477/

I 200% agree with James Cameron

And I was already a fan of Bullock before - not because of her cute face or nice feminine curves, even though it's part of the pleasant aspect of her personality, but because of her talent - and she really impressed me in that movie.

Clooney is just himself - that's often good, and it is in this movie. What else? ;)

Very weird that I just watched it for the first time yesterday, and then I see this thread today.

I thought it was excellent. Want to see it again. 

The story is classic 1950's sci-fi scenario. Person in space when things go wrong. They did a good job, as it was suspenseful. I did not watch it until yesterday because I thought it would be really boring, but did not realize how much of an action flick it was.

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni56264477/

I 200% agree with James Cameron

And I was already a fan of Bullock before this movie - and not because of her cute face or nice feminine curves, even though it's part of the pleasant aspect of her personality, but because of her talent - and she really impressed me in that movie.

Indeed Bullock does carry the film though in a rather understated way. Though it was good my all time performance by any actor in a space / sci-fi film has to be Sigourney Weaver in the original Alien.

Indeed Bullock does carry the film though in a rather understated way. Though it was good my all time performance by any actor in a space / sci-fi film has to be Sigourney Weaver in the original Alien.

Oh yes, Weaver's performance in all Alien movies are fabulous, but this is not the same kind of movie.

Just like Noomi Rapace is absolutely fabulous in the 3 Swedish "Millennium" movies, but is only average in "Prometheus", she's no Weaver, and Weaver is no Rapace. Weaver is no Bullock and vice versa, totally different style of movies.

nicely filmed, I like how they manage to integrate 3d into the movie without making it seem gimmicky. Utterly forgettable and trite story, and I got tired of the "daydreaming/wallowing until the last moment, then making it to the next stop just as your <whatever> is starting to run out, only to find out that the object you've entered will self-destruct/be destroyed/burn in the next 3 minutes" after the first time already.. Was rather shameless they repeated that gimmick 4x in a row.

I liked this suggestion from this review though:

And it’s true that this character arc is merely tiresome, unless you think of it in sensation-cinema terms. Then you see it has power: witnessing this moribund character get moving is a huge relief and a genuine thrill. Gravity’s starting point is not the New Woman of a progressive era who welcomes systemic breakdown and leaps into action as a liberating force, but the fitting heroine for our dismal time. We get a glum, played-out career woman with cosmetically perfect muscle tone but no apparent athleticism, who’s so incapacitated by depression she’s inert and useless in a crisis. She’s a “genius” who helped design part of the spacecraft, but she knows almost nothing about how to fly it. The inspiring phrase that finally motivates her to make the extra effort to save her own life isn’t any memorable rallying cry; it’s George Clooney’s glib, prosaic little line, “You can always do something.”

It's clearly a must-see movie, 3D never felt as natural as in this movie. As a nerd it gets on my nerve to see physics so casually dismissed. Bullock's performance is ok, even though the movie would probably work with many other actresses.