LOTROCommunity

Why do you post here and not on the other forum?

Ifreborn

Simple question.  I'm interested to hear what brings you all here and why you post here instead of the other forum.

Most of you have the gist of why I am posting here.  I like some of you have been banned from the other forum.   So I am an exile in search of other exiles who want justice and reform of the other community.  I hold out hope that Posting policies can be changed a new community manager can be brought in and clemency handed out in mass.  So it is my hope that my stay here is temporary.

I started here long before I got banned. I don't like overmoderated forums in general (the nightwish forums sucks, oh boy), much less vendor-owned ones. Shudder.

I only got banned later on the official forum for asking too persistently about the license. But that is years later.

Because I want to be able to interact with 1. Players banned from the other forums. 2.Players willing and able to discuss A.Politics B.Other games C. Life in general without the restrictions on the main forum (Photos, videos, etc.!)

2. It allows me to have conversations I would not feel comfortable having under Turbine controlled spaces.

I read this forum out of curiosity since Turbine took over operation of the former Codemasters servers. But I didn't register here until there were serious security issues on the official forums.

I like these forums because they're an open environment free of marketing pressures. Because let's face it, official forums for almost every game are mostly a marketing operation.

Also, I'm permanently banned from the official forums due to repeated violations of the community guidelines.

Simple question.  I'm interested to hear what brings you all here and why you post here instead of the other forum.

Most of you have the gist of why I am posting here.  I like some of you have been banned from the other forum.   So I am an exile in search of other exiles who want justice and reform of the other community.  I hold out hope that Posting policies can be changed a new community manager can be brought in and clemency handed out in mass.  So it is my hope that my stay here is temporary.

First part: Heard about the forum and thought I'd check it out.

Second part: It ain't gonna happen, imo, and you're wasting your time thinking it will. But, it's your life - just don't expect others to join your crusade.

I like the people here. Nice community. You can discuss anything and there is a lot of respect even when views are totally different. I think this place is a reflection of the nice community Lotro had?/has?

Oh, and I can say things like Turbine is not spending enough on Lotro and not get banned. I literally posted Turbine is not spending enough on the game, and Sapience game me an instant perms-ban. My account was pretty new so I know he gave me a lot of infractions for that one mild but critical of Turbine post.

I'm not banned from the OF but I prefer the more liberal and equal-treatment mod style here. I like being able to compare LotRO to other MMOs without the thread being insta-locked. Or critically discuss bad business and design decisions and so on. And avoid the brainless Black Knighting Lotro Elite who stick their noses in every thread covering topics they don't even participate in (e.g. PvMP). You have to remember that the audience here is still pretty broad from the original Codemasters base to regular OF users and Player Council members to banned OF users.

But, Ifreborn. You have personal issues to sort through judging by your post history already.

Like I said in your other thread:

There's a difference between cathartic venting and throwing a tantrum.

And there's a difference between Rick Heaton being a shitty community manager and the freakin' anti-christ, which is what you make him out to be.

Short of you buying millions of Time Warner stocks for a significant share of ownership or succeeding in a lawsuit, don't expect any concept of "justice" in a capitalist-venture-owned venue. You should still take Fredelas' advice in that other thread. Or see a therapist.

People are different. All different ages, cultures, perspectives. I would not be so quick to judge ifreborn or anyone. We have no idea how old or young he or she is.  

I can find no fault with the original post in they thread.

Also, Ifreborn has the best forum picture on these boards.

I'm not banned from the OF but I prefer the more liberal and equal-treatment mod style here. I like being able to compare LotRO to other MMOs without the thread being insta-locked. Or critically discuss bad business and design decisions and so on. And avoid the brainless Black Knighting Lotro Elite who stick their noses in every thread covering topics they don't even participate in (e.g. PvMP). You have to remember that the audience here is still pretty broad from the original Codemasters base to regular OF users and Player Council members to banned OF users.

But, Ifreborn. You have personal issues to sort through judging by your post history already.

Like I said in your other thread:

There's a difference between cathartic venting and throwing a tantrum.

And there's a difference between Rick Heaton being a shitty community manager and the freakin' anti-christ, which is what you make him out to be.

Short of you buying millions of Time Warner stocks for a significant share of ownership or succeeding in a lawsuit, don't expect any concept of "justice" in a capitalist-venture-owned venue. You should still take Fredelas' advice in that other thread. Or see a therapist.

So you agree then LOTRO would be better without him? 

:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNrsxrnKioY

I came here originally because I work nights, and sometimes the OF can be pretty dead at night. I also liked hearing the different perspectives on the game which was at that time my primary MMORPG. It wasn't until later that controversy and strife started sending exiles over here in droves, and my opinion of Turbine changed to the point where they put me on Permanent Moderated status on the OF (I still, to this date, have zero infractions there).

Now then, although I don't play LOTRO any longer (more due to Turbine's abhorrent treatment of some players than due to the game itself), I still come here for the original reason I did: Because this forum is active at night, and has some interesting conversations about gaming.

I started here primarily because I could not access the official forum site after the revamp, this was due to problems with the system I use having issues with the LOTRO Server Certificates.

This has now been resolved but I stayed here because I found the different viewpoints insightful and free from excessive moderation. I do not post regularly; I don’t usually have much to add to what is already posted; but I do read most threads and tend to agree much more with the views expressed here.

I have no personnel issue with Sapience, I have only posted a couple of times on the official forums and only seeking information, but I do find the actions of those labelled ‘fanboise’ appalling. The equivalent of shouting down those whose opinions differ from there own. I also sympathise with those who have been banned for trivial or no reason.

For myself, well, I am coming to the end of my Middlearth adventures; having 4 alts at level cap and 5 others at 85, 80, 75, 70 and 65 I am now finding the content after level 65 to be far too linear and Big Battles totaly boring after a couple of runs. I also did not like the class changes.

Time to move on then and I intend to go with Elder Scrolls Online. I don’t believe any protest to Turbine or Warner will have any impact, it hasn’t so far, so my advice would be to ‘vote with your feet’ and just move on.

• Upvote 1

Been lurking here on and off since we got transferred off of the Codemasters servers and this forum was formed as a sort of buffer for EU players to continue as they did on the CM forums, didn't actually sign up and start here until a little spate of back and forth warring that happened between some people here and some others on the o-forums, signed up here to berate them because I thought they were being asses and doing too much flaming, had my arguments with the guys here, realised they weren't as bad as I thought, apologised and I've been here since. Starting off by posting both here and there but as Ricks powerbase grew into a huge dictatorship I posted less and less over there and more and more over here, now I don't even go there when someone links there any more.

To start with, I joined here because the Codemasters forum was taken down. A lot of us had concerns about using the Turbine forums, due to the strict moderation.

Then I started posting here more often because these forums were much more free.

Eventually, Turbine banned me for some ridiculous reason and so this was my main place to gripe about Turbine and their shitty game.

Now I no longer play but I still post here, mostly for reasons unrelated to LotRO.

I like many others arrived here as a result of the Codemasters forums closing. I continue to visit because so far the positive attributes of these forums outweigh the negative. The level of discussion is often high and for a blogger such as me, the site is a good source of information and the exchange of ideas.

I don't care for excessively moderation on message boards, although I do think that there are occasions when there should be more here. However I do not think that the official LOTRO forums are an effective platform for discussing the game and are no longer fit for purpose.

I am here because... hmmm... well, it is fun. When this board opened, a lot of people already had bad feelings about the moderation style of the Turbine forum. So I like many others looked for a place where we could feel at home in a liberal atmosphere. This place here has had it's ups and downs but overall it is a good place for a bit of fun and perspective. The people posting here span a really wide array of opinions and preconceptions and it is always fun to match them with my own.

I post on both forums, the official forums are in my eyes overmoderated and critisism, no matter the way you express it, results in infractions/bans.

The main advantage of the other forums is that not every thread ends in "everything is sapience fault and lotro sucks" 

Came here due to the Stasiesque treatment on the OF. Also got sick of the unjustified treatment of paying customers with legitimate grievances. Finally got tired of the same old banner runners reminiscent of The Divine Comedy, fighting even when they've already lost, or simply to fight, regardless of the message or facts.

I participated in CM forums since 2006 and i never even registered on official forums. I was barely checking it out. Heavy moderation on OF was "famous" for a long time so i never even considered reading it or registering to it.

I just wanted to stay with people i knew from CM forums so i joined here on day one.

Attachment to the european community (which i cinsidered much better than the US one) is one of the main reasons why i came here and why i keep coming here even though i do not play anymore for a while now.

Another reason is that there are 0 super irritating fanbois here.

I only found this forum recently. My dissillusionment with HD prompted far less playing and much more critisism of the game I've enjoyed since 2010. Most of the posters I find I agree with and share opinion with post here more than there now.  I'm doing other stuff and this forum provides discussion for many of the other games I'm playing and considering playing.

• Upvote 1