LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Trilwych

Rift 3.0: Plane of Water (and 2.7: New souls!)

3.0 is released today: Patch notes post on

==========================OLD POST

Trion started hinting information about the next major expansion in spring 2013. Here's a page listing some things we can expect, including some updated and verified information that the new souls will be released in patch 2.7, ETA unknown but remember that we're in 2.6.

http://riftgrate.com/3-0-content/

New souls to expect (pricing unknown, hopefully they'll allow a-la-carte along with a quad-bundle):

* Warrior: Liberator || Role: Heals

* Rogue: Physician || Role: Heals

* Mage: Arbiter || Role: Tank

* Cleric: Oracle || Role: Support

I for one am very glad Trion isn't going to bundle all the new stuff in a single expansion drop, as a staged release will allow better bug handling on live. There's been a few complaints on the Rift official forums about letting all classes handle all roles, but pish---I'm reeeally looking forward to the Liberator soul and hope it'll let me recreate my LotRO captain to some extent.

As for the water content itself, well... Unfortunately it seems the underwater subzone off Ember Isle isn't popular, even the level 60 zone event, and I'm going to bring that up on the Rift-OF to see others' perspectives on that. I get the feeling the Plane of Water location will have to have plenty of "dry land" landscape.

Not sure when 3.0 proper is expected to hit, either. Sometime this year given the patch numbers, I'd expect.

Edited by Trilwych

I wonder how Trion are going to handle Arbiter paired with Cholromancer. Tank with massive self-heals and wider party healing could be OP.

I wonder that too, though I'm not interested in the mage tank soul. Last I heard, and of course this was during alpha so things may be completely changed by now, the mage tank soul relies on a special pet. -> I'm thinking to get the most out of Arbiter, you'd have to spec deep into it (true for most tank souls), so maybe you can't have OP chloro hybrid. Another way is to make the damage/magic type non-Life based, as Chloro is life-based.

Edit: Supposedly no pet now. A thread from late last year: http://forums.riftgame.com/game-discussions/classes-telara/mage-discussion/390889-arbiter-new-3-0-soul.html

Interesting. Also, I noticed that Daglar (Creative Director) didn't seem to have put a formal NDA on the class testers and asked them to use their own judgment. WOW.

If they raise the level cap then you will have more points to spend making it easier to spec further into 2 souls

If they raise the level cap then you will have more points to spend making it easier to spec further into 2 souls

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I think there's a 5 level raise, but not sure. Balancing against the +1 skills/talents could be problematic, I imagine (not that I care since I like me some true hybridization); don't know how Trion handled that with Storm Legion since I joined after SL.

Interesting stuff. WoW releases the systems changes for expansions before releasing the actual content too, and it's a really good idea IMO. Would have been...amusing...if Turbine had done that with Helms Deep...

Not an expert, but how is Arbiter + Chloro a fundamentally different problem than the analogous Cleric combinations? Those are handled, IIRC, by just putting a massive nerf on all non-Justicar heals.

I was sort of thinking of finally pushing my Rift toons to the level cap before the expansion hit, to be ready for it. Now it sounds like I'll need to do that sooner than expected. Gotta get those last two Heroic Siege of Orgrimmar bosses down...

|:(

Well, people are estimating 2.7 by end of April/May if we go by the usual patch pattern, though Trion at some point supposedly said they wanted to release 3.0 (the actual "expansion" content) in "summer 2014." And then there's talk of a 2.8 somewhere. Eh, I'll just wait for 2.7, no sense it trying to plan ahead too far. :P

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I think there's a 5 level raise, but not sure. Balancing against the +1 skills/talents could be problematic, I imagine (not that I care since I like me some true hybridization); don't know how Trion handled that with Storm Legion since I joined after SL.

5 level cap increase is confirmed from multiple sources.

Right, I'm curious how the extra points will balance out across builds. I'm not against hybridizing at all, but allowing 61-point builds with more in other areas might be OP, we'll see.

Right, I'm curious how the extra points will balance out across builds. I'm not against hybridizing at all, but allowing 61-point builds with more in other areas might be OP, we'll see.

When we went from 51 point builds (with 15 extra to use elsewhere) during "Vanilla Rift" to the current 61 point builds (also with 15 points to use elsewhere), it was a fairly smooth transition. That said, we were also moving into new areas that were populated with significantly more difficult to fight mobs in Dusken and Brevane. With 3.0 bringing us only five more levels, the scaling should not be as severe a jump in difficulty, but we'll just have to see how it goes overall. What I'm more interested in is how these new Souls will affect play when they are introduced prior to 3.0, reportedly in Update 2.7. So new Souls to use, but no more points to spend on hybrid builds... how exactly will that affect things?

In the end, I don't see the level cap increase and new Souls in Rift 3.0 being too much of an issue balance-wise. It may lead to more interesting hybridization overall, but the Primary Soul builds (one maxed out at 66 points, I would guess?), with the remainder of points spent in one or two secondary Souls, will continue to be the most popular builds.

Hmmm, that's right, 2.7 will still only give us 76 points. I really hope there will be more interesting hybridization! The problem with warrior is that one of the "obvious" choices (Beastmaster support soul) to match with a healing soul is kinda difficult (having to manage a whole bunch of DoTs in melee range, not something I particularly like). Regardless, I'm excited. :)

I'm looking forward to designing my new Cleric build. Primarily Shaman, with the remainder in Oracle and 0-point Defiler to cap it off. I understand the Oracle Soul should have lots of Shields to keep me alive, with debuffs and whatnot to help whittle down the enemy. Right now my primary build is 61 Shaman, 15 Justicar, 0 Defiler, so it'll be interesting to see how well Oracle works as a straight replacement for Justicar.

Hm... these are interesting, but at least from this perpective he gives, I cant really see them yet supplanting Sentinels or Purifiers let alone Chloros for main heals in raids necessarily but I guess it could happen if they get uber enough.  He never talked about what other souls would be part of the builds.  On Physician for example, I could see it maybe blending really well with Bard buffs and skills if you add that soul to the tree... not too sure about Warrior since it's the one area of the classes I have not yet explored.  I like that the Warrior blends dmg with heals and ST with AoE hots which would be useful.  Names on all these skills are too funny :)

Yeah, I'm glad he explained the "MEDICAL FACILITY AWAITS YOU" in-joke on the Rift OF... >_>

I can't wait to get my hands on those new Souls! I love playing Melee DPS with a Healing component (Shaman in WoW, Clerics in Rift, Blade/Fist build in The Secret World, etc), so these will open up a bunch on new options for me in Rift. I can see myself making a Harbinger/Arbiter/Chloromancer Mage, for example, or any number of Rogue and Warrior builds. Might actually find a combo that finally drags me away from playing Clerics all the time!

Cleric beta video and discussion thread is up:

Oracle Gameplay - Exclusive First Look at Cleric Support

I generally love support souls/classes and know they're really painful to balance/design/whatever in MMOs for some reason, so thanks to Trion for adding another! I'll have to watch later, though.

Cleric beta video and discussion thread is up:

Oracle Gameplay - Exclusive First Look at Cleric Support

I generally love support souls/classes and know they're really painful to balance/design/whatever in MMOs for some reason, so thanks to Trion for adding another! I'll have to watch later, though.

Wow!  This has me psyched!  I absolutely love playing my Bard, but if this is as good in live as he is presenting I would love to roll one and try it out.  Loving the debuffs and better damage, though I would like more info on that claim because I do feel the Bard's damage is pretty good, at least in terms of  soloing lots of stuff without issues; but I would love to play something that would bring my old LM ever closer to finding a new skin, hehe.  This seems very promising.  And since I have not capped any one of my chars yet, I am not too worried about re-rolling.

I wonder though, if this is the main soul as a Cleric, the potential to be bit OP could rear it's head if you consider the other souls in Cleric you can link this with?  Imagine Oracle/Sentinel/Justicar mix or Oracle/Purifier/Inquisitor.... yikes!

Just keep in mind that new souls aren't free. No one knows the pricing yet or if Trion will sell all four as a bundle to replace the old "expansion" purchases of yore, or allow a-la-carte. At this point, I think I'll just buy all four anyway. :)

Yeah I would most likely get all in one go unless there is some really ridiculous price attached to it.

The original Storm Legion expansion was $40 for existing players and $50 for new players (included the base game). Considering 3.0 content is entirely free except for the 2.7 souls, I think around a $25 bundle would be fair, and a more expensive a-la-carte for people who only want 1-2 souls, maybe $10 for one, $8 for the second, $6 for the third... I'm not sure what I'd personally consider ridiculous pricing, though, mainly because I keep thinking about all the content that's 100% free. Hmm. Oh, and patrons get their store discount, though maybe they can get an additional discount? I dunno. I'm not a patron. :x

The original Storm Legion expansion was $40 for existing players and $50 for new players (included the base game). Considering 3.0 content is entirely free except for the 2.7 souls, I think around a $25 bundle would be fair, and a more expensive a-la-carte for people who only want 1-2 souls, maybe $10 for one, $8 for the second, $6 for the third... I'm not sure what I'd personally consider ridiculous pricing, though, mainly because I keep thinking about all the content that's 100% free. Hmm. Oh, and patrons get their store discount, though maybe they can get an additional discount? I dunno. I'm not a patron. :x

I confess I don't remember how much I paid for the expansion.  I just know I started playing back in July/August last year and began subbing after I firebomed my LotrO account last fall after HD beta mess.  As much as I am psyched about ESO, I really love Rift and will likely keep playing it and keep the sub since I am not concerned about money.  My view is I have not subscribed to cable in over a decade so it's still way less than TV, hehe. I am also one of those weird people that kind of likes the sub for my games since I feel if I really like it a lot, it's my way to support the work...go figure...

... but by ridiculous, I guess I am thinking 25-30bucks each, sort the way LotrO charges for char transfers and such, I think that would be too much.  Hopefully a bundled price will be less than what that would total.

I confess I don't remember how much I paid for the expansion. I just know I started playing back in July/August last year and began subbing after I firebomed my LotrO account last fall after HD beta mess. As much as I am psyched about ESO, I really love Rift and will likely keep playing it and keep the sub since I am not concerned about money. My view is I have not subscribed to cable in over a decade so it's still way less than TV, hehe. I am also one of those weird people that kind of likes the sub for my games since I feel if I really like it a lot, it's my way to support the work...go figure...

... but by ridiculous, I guess I am thinking 25-30bucks each, sort the way LotrO charges for char transfers and such, I think that would be too much. Hopefully a bundled price will be less than what that would total.

Hah, good point about cable. My only entertainment/communications expenses are an internet connection and Amazon Prime (though they raised the price, but eh). I've dumped plenty of credits into the game as my way of supporting. :P My work/life situation is such that I'd rather not keep a sub at the moment, though I'd like the free lootboxes and various bonuses.

And $25-30 EACH is impossible. I'd expect no more than $10 each for a total of $40 like the standard Storm Legion expansion price, really. BUT~

I forgot a critical piece in the price comparison since F2P: I'm not logged into the game so I can't see how much the Storm Legion souls cost in credits---so it makes sense that a new bundle would cost as much as that. I can afford a bunch of REX right now so I could go that route too...

Well I actually got lucky and got Storm Legion for free by letting Raptor spy on me a bit during the month leading up to Rift going f2p.

I would be fine with a price of 10$ per soul but I guess it will be all a credit purchase so I would expect between 1500 and 2000 credits per soul with maybe a 4000-5000 credit package deal for all four.

However they might surprise me and have a lower price overall as the Storm Legion souls were for 3500. However they were not brand new at that point so that is why I put the package deal a bit higher.

^-I think you're right. Daglar said at some point that the Storm Legion soul pricing (in credits) also took into account the length of time they've been available. So a bit higher than that makes sense.

According to one of the soul beta testers, 2.7 is expected to hit in 3-4 weeks from now. Yowza, way sooner than I expected. Can't wait.