LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
vr00mie

Theorycrafted characters

Now that we have our own forum section (yay!), I thought maybe we could share some of our theorycrafted builds.

My plan is to have atleast one character of each class (for crafting if nothing else), and originally I planned to use a Sorc healer, but the Restoring Light tree from Templar just looks too damn good to give up, so here's my current Templar Heal build

Class: Templar

Race: Breton

Armour: 7 Light or 5L/2H (This really depends on how my magicka regen and armour values look at cap)

1st Weapon: Restoration staff

1. Honour the Deadmorph from Rushed Ceremony - Restoring Light - A strong single target heal, with magicka restoration

2. Blessing of Restorationmorph from Blessing of protection - Restoration staff - Cone AoE heal that I found to be really strong in the Beta

3. Healing Springsmorph from Grand Healing - Restoration staff - Ground targeted AoE heal that restores Magicka for every ally affected, nearly spammable with a large enough group healed. Will be awesome in AvA, and probably also in Adventure Zones

4. Repentance - morph from Restoring Aura - Restoring Light - The Rallying Cry of ESO. Consumes corpses of enemies to heal allies with no cost.

5. Healing Ward - morph from Steadfast Ward - Restoration Staff - Heal and a bubble, and another heal when bubble expires, have saved the lives of tanks with this skill in beta several times already.

Ultimate: Practiced Incantationmorph from Rite of Passage - Restoring Light Ultimate - A 6 second channeled massive AoE heal

My second weapon layout isn't planned yet, and while it will be a DPS focused set, it will almost certainly contain the Light Armour active skill Harness Magicka morphed from Annulment and one of the morphs of the Mages Guild skill Equilibrium. Both of them will help me with Magicka recovery, and Harness Magicka will also protect me from enemy spells. Solar Prison, a morph of Nova from the Templar's Dawn's Wrath skill line looks interesting for this weapon layout, since it not only has the potential for massive aoe damage and cc, but also will assist in healing since it reduces the enemies damage.

That definitely looks like a very nice heal-centric build, Vr00mie.  I think one of the nicest aspects about it is that you can capitalize on the the AoE heals of the restro staff and the strength of the more single target focuses in Restoring Light to get more well-rounded heal options for groups.

Last round I wanted to try and duplicate my old LotrO cappie build and ended up with a bit more tanky build than my first Templar attempt, which was more of a mage.  At this point I am thinking to continue what I was working on so far.

Some of the passives and a few of the actives do not unlock until higher levels so I have italicized those for differentiating them in the build, but this is the idea for now. 

In the beta I was running with a different skill for number 4 in the first line, for example, since you can’t get that skill unlocked at lower levels. I was using Biting Jabs instead, which is the morph from Puncturing Strikes that gives 70% increased damage to low health targets.

pic1_zpsde559c1f.jpg

Class: Templar

Race: Redguard

Racials increase stamina by 4%, give 3% in-combat stamina regen, 15% lvling increase to sword & shield

Armour: 3 Heavy, 2 light, 2 medium:

Passives Heavy:         Constitution - increases Health regeneration by 2% per piece

Passives Medium:      Wind walker - increases stamina regeneration by 2% per piece

Dexterity - increases critical strike chance with physical attacks by 1% per piece

Passives Light:          Evocation - reduces magicka cost of spells by 1% per piece

Concentration – your spells ignore 3% of enemy spell resistance per piece

Spell warding - increases base spell resistance by 4% per piece

1st Weapon: Sword and Shield:

Passives:        Sword and Board - increases weapon damage by 3%, block mitigation by 10%

Fortress: reduces cost of Blocking 15%, and cost of Sword & Shield abilities 5%

Deadly Bash: deals 50% additional damage and costs 25% less stamina

Deflect Blots: blocks 8% additional damage from projectiles and ranged attacks

1.  Defensive Posture: morph from defensive stance – reflects next spell projectile back at attacker when activated. Increases block mitigation by 5% and reduces block cost by 5% when slotted. (Stamina based)

2. Invasion: morph from Shield Charge - charges to target and attack, dealing physical damage and stunning target for 5 seconds, 3.5-22 meters range.  (Stamina based)

3. Purifying Light: morph from Backlash – target stores up damage taken for 6 seconds. When effect ends they receive an additional 36% of damage inflicted and a pool of healing light appears for 6 seconds, healing allies for 46 every 2 second for 8 seconds. (Magicka based)

4. Radiant Ward: morph from Sun Shield - creates damage shield for 27% Max Health that lasts 6 seconds. Deals 6 Magic Damage to nearby enemies radius on activation. Each successful hit increases shield strength by 4%. You will not regenerate magicka while the shield is active.  (Magicka Based)

5. Radiant Aura: morph from Restoring Aura - increase stamina and health regeneration by 15%, increase the health and stamina regeneration of nearby allies by an additional 60% for 6 seconds,

18 meter radius (Magicka based)

6. Ultimate: Solar Prison: morph from Nova – range 28 meters, enemies deal 40% less damage for 8 seconds, and take 12 Magic Damage every 1 second. An ally may activate the Gravity Crush synergy, dealing AoE damage and stunning all enemies in the area. (300 Ultimate)

- and yes Nova ultie IS super awesome! LOL

2nd Weapon: Restoration Staff

Passives:        Essence Drain: Final hit of hvy attack heals nearby ally for 15% of damage done

Restoration Expert: increases healing on allies under 30% Health by 8%

Cycle of Life: Deals 1% damage for every 20% Health you have

Absorb: Blocking Spells restores 1 Magicka.

Restoration Master: increases all healing done by 3%

1. Breath of Life:  morph from Rushed Ceremony – heals nearby wounded ally for 36. Also heals 2 additional wounded allies for 16

2. Lingering Ritual: morph from Healing Ritual - heals nearby allies for 22. Heals self for 30%.  Additional heals to affected targets after 8 seconds

3. Extended Ritual: morph from Cleansing Ritual - instantly removes a negative effects from self. Over 12 seconds, heals nearby allies for 2 every 2 seconds. Allies in range may activate Purify synergy, removing all negative effects.

4. Combat Prayer: morph from Blessing of Protection - heal allies in front of player for 10. Affected allies gain 15 Armor and Spell Resistance for 8 seconds and 8% additional damage for the duration.

5. Siphon Spirit: morph from Force Siphon – allies gain additional 1% health and magicka when attacking marked target. Player gains 100% additional health when attacking target for 20 sec

6. Practiced Incantation: morph of Rite of Passage - heals nearby allies for 14 every 0.5 seconds for 6 seconds. You cannot move while channeling this ability.

Passives from all three Templar Skill trees will be a work in progress since like some of the above, they do not all unlock at the same time at early levels.  I also am not sure yet which guild skills to choose since I am leaning more towards Undaunted and maybe a few Lycanthropy if I can get them, lol.  Thenb there are skill points for crafting…. lots to do.  My other build I am working on is a Nightblade which I will post later.  Like you, I have plans to make one of each class  eventually so there will be lots of “altitis” to go around, lol.

Looks like a sturdy build, but I'm wondering if you're not worried about your Magicka. Redguard, only 2 Light Armour and Combat Prayer morph...

Anyways, here comes my WIP Nightblade build:

Class: Nightblade

Race: Khajiit

Armour: 7 medium

1st Weapon: Dual Wield (daggers)

1. Piercing Mark morph from Mark Target - Assassination

2. Ambush morph from Teleport Strike - Assassination - Gap closer and short stun on target

3. Rapid Strikes morph from Flurry - Dual Wield - morph gives increased attack speed for 6 seconds

4. Killers Blade morph from Assassins Blade - Assassination - Finisher with massive damage on low health target, heals me on kill

5. Focused Attacks morph from Haste - Assassination - Increased attack speed on Light and Heavy attacks. Stamina regen

Ultimate: Soul Harvest - morph from Death Stroke - Assassination - Massive Single Target damage and inc healing reduction on target

Single Target Nuke build with a pretty simple rotation: Piercing Mark on target and pop Focused Attacks, close with Ambush, Heavy Attacks + Rapid Strikes atleast every 6 seconds until the target is low enough to finish off with Killers Blade.

2nd Weapon: Bow

1. Draining Shot morph from Scatter Shot - Bow - Knockback, Disorient and finally a Snare. The mother of all cc this one

2. Arrow Barrage morph from Volley - Bow - Gonna want atleast one AoE skill, so this is it

3. Lethal Arrow morph from Snipe - Bow - Massive Single Target damage and inc healing reduction on target

4. Swallow Soul morph from Strife - Siphoning - Life steal with nice range, also gives me more inc healing by just having it slotted

5. Prolonged Suffering morph from Agony - Siphoning -  Ranged stun, and dot when stun expires

Ultimate: Soul Tether morph from Soul Shred - Siphoning - AoE stun + nasty Dot to single target. Synergy for others to leech life

This is a ranged DPS/CC build which also focuses on survivability and group support. Knockback, Disorient, Snare, Stun, Aoe Stun, Life leech and reduced Inc healing, all in just 5 skills.

Looks like a sturdy build, but I'm wondering if you're not worried about your Magicka. Redguard, only 2 Light Armour and Combat Prayer morph...

So far, I have not found that magicka is a problem as the build relies far more on Stamina.  Usually during a fight I use my bar skills way less, as more for the "boom!" type of effect, and as a result have seen my magicka and stamina bars be consumed at a fairly even pace.  Where healing is concerned, restro staff also returns magicka off heavy attacks and Combat Prayer like most staff skills are Stamina based.  ?

Adding the glyffs to armor, weapons and bling is also where I can add more magicka regn etc. if I need it.  The idea being higher damage and crits is shorter fights, so less need to expend resources.  Likewise for heals, I have already seen in dungeons that if I don't engage with damage as well I quickly run out of power. One cannot just focus on casting only heals, but rather be actively battling at the same time to conserve.

Of course, doing this all at higher levels could be a different story so time will have to tell :)

EDIT: seems that there is contrary info in ESOhead vs Massy in that one lists staff skills as stamina, the other as magika :/   In game I did not have issues with this either way as the bars I had dropped about even as I mentioned... but I need to see that in game again to check.  Can someone confirm which is which?

Anyways, here comes my WIP Nightblade build:

Class: Nightblade

Race: Khajiit

Armour: 7 medium...

My build is very similar, though I did not get my cat to 15 yet to test the weapon swap.  I got him to 10 so far, and he is also dual wielding daggers for the added crit, but I have amix of 5M/2L as he is running a hybrid of Assassination and Syphoning lines at the moment.  Will have to build up what I am thinking about for the 2ns weapon line.

I have to say though, I really like a lot of the bow skills.  I have a sorceror build where she is using a bow and it is hella fun to play! :)

Presenting the ESO Loremaster

For those of us who enjoyed playing a LOTRO Lore-master in the past years (or still do, I wouldn't know), I've wracked my brain on how to build a group supporting sorceror after the last ESO beta round. This post was originally going to be much more detailed and was supposed to premier on another ESO community forum (TF), but somehow things went FUBAR and the text got lost (yeah I know, backups still have their value). Then I saw the new ESO section here (thank you for this). So remember, you've read it here first. :)

Links to the build:

ESO Build Calc - see both skill bars at once, plus a nice, if somewhat unorganized, overview of all relevant passive skills

ESOhead #1 - skill bar with Destruction Staff

ESOhead #2 - skill bar with Healing Staff

N.B.: ESO Build Calc does not (yet) respect skill ranks, while ESOhead has a bug in the Destruction Staff skill line. Also, ESO Build Calc lists staff skills as Magicka consuming, which jibes with screenshots I've taken, while ESOhead thinks staff skills use Stamina. Please refer to both.

The build given here has level 50 and group play in mind. 

Objective

Build a character that has strong emphasis on group support skills, i.e.

• CC via Disorient, Stun, Immobilze and Snare (mostly Dark Magic skills)
  • Debuffing via Destruction Staff (Lightning Staff) skills, and weapon enchantments
  • Off-Healing/Buffing via Healing Staff skills
  • help with Magicka Regeneration via Daedric Summoning pet

Class: Sorceror

Races

• Bretons (Daggerfall) and Altmeri (Dominion) are ideal because of their racial passives
  • for Ebonheart Pact races, Argonians at least have better survivability

Armor

• 7/7 Light Armor (group) - helps with Magicka Regeneration (Recovery) and Spell Penetration (Concentration)
  • 5/2 Light/Heavy (solo, leveling) - adds a little bit more survivability to the above via Resolve and Constitution
  • useful Armor traits (crafted): Divines (Sapphire) - increases Mundus Stone effect (see below); Infused (Bloodstone) - increases armor enchantment effect (see below)

Attributes

• Unless something changes with Overcharging, 49 points in Health is the way to go.
  • But if it does eventually, and while leveling, points in Magicka sure are helpful

Mundus Stone

• The Apprentice for improved Spell Penetration

Weapons

• a Lightning Staff for debuffing skills (Elemental Susceptibility and Crushing Shock) and the Concussion status effect (damage debuff)
  • a Healing Staff for (off-)healing, party buff (Combat Prayer, AoE heal) and party Health/Magicka regeneration (Siphon Spirit, an enemy debuff)
  • useful Weapon traits (crafted): Sharpened (Fire Opal) - increases Spell Penetration; Infused (Jade) - increases enchantment effect
  • both weapons are intended to be swapped regularly/situationally during combat, to keep debuffs up

Enchantments

• Armor: if Glyph of Magicka ignores Overcharging, it's the way to go
  • Weapons: Glyph of Crushing (enemy Armor reduction) and Glyph of Weakening (enemy Power reduction) on Destruction and Healing Staff, respectively
  • Jewelry: Glyph of Magicka Regen and Glyph of Reduce Spell Cost are most helpful

Active Skills

Both action bars:

• Ultimate: Absorption Field (Dark Magic ultimate) - a short duration AoE dispel, and enemy Stun/Silence. Not sure if Health/Magicka regeneration effect is for everyone inside area or caster only (I've seen skill descriptions that support the former).
  • Summon Restoring Twilight (Daedric Summoning) - pet that helps with group Magicka regeneration, also adds to sustained DPS
  • Rune Cage (Dark Magic) - a longer duration single target CC
  • Restraining Prison (Dark Magic) - a short duration AoE root/snare

Action bar #1 (Lightning Staff)

• Elemental Susceptibility (Destruction Staff) - a long duration, single target Spell Resistance reduction, best applied before:
  • Crushing Shock (Destruction Staff) - when used with a Lightning Staff, applies a short duration, single target damage debuff

Action bar #2 (Healing Staff)

• Combat Prayer (Healing Staff) - short duration AoE party buff to Armor, Spell Resistance, and Damage
  • Siphon Spirit (Healing Staff) - long duration, single target debuff that heals attacking party members and helps with Magicka regeneration

Passive Skills

• too numerous to mention :)
  • obviously, all passive skills from both class skill lines (Dark Magic, Daedric Summoning), Light Armor skill line, and both Staff skill lines are helpful and valuable
  • refer to the build links above for descriptions 

Please let me now what you think. 

@ SirSnarkAlot

I am a little confused by some of what you listed in your actives. There are a total of 12 options among both hotbars but I see you are listing only 8, so I am wondering are you using other skills not listed, or repeating some of the skills for both bars?  Note that if you swap weapons, some skills will no longer be active, including passives.

I think overall it looks like a viable build though I have to say, having also played a LotrO LM for many years, the sorcer in ESO feels nothing like it to me.  There are some aspects of CC that are similar, but the way in which they function is notably different especially in dungeons and the massive kind of debuffs we had as LMs are largely lacking. (the Sorc I made in beta is only lvl12 as well so I have not yet had opportunity to try weapon swaping.  I have used a bow/medium&light armor mix/Bosmer/storm calling with all attributes so far in magicka and stamina equally spent and she feels a bit OP to be honest, lol)

That being said, I think it looks very fun to play what you have there and I will be curious to know if it feels truly LM-ish to you once you run it, as I long to resurrect my old LM too in some viable way for ESO  :)

@ SirSnarkAlot

I am a little confused by some of what you listed in your actives. There are a total of 12 options among both hotbars but I see you are listing only 8, so I am wondering are you using other skills not listed, or repeating some of the skills for both bars?  Note that if you swap weapons, some skills will no longer be active, including passives.

I think overall it looks like a viable build though I have to say, having also played a LotrO LM for many years, the sorcer in ESO feels nothing like it to me.  There are some aspects of CC that are similar, but the way in which they function is notably different especially in dungeons and the massive kind of debuffs we had as LMs are largely lacking. (the Sorc I made in beta is only lvl12 as well so I have not yet had opportunity to try weapon swaping.  I have used a bow/medium&light armor mix/Bosmer/storm calling with all attributes so far in magicka and stamina equally spent and she feels a bit OP to be honest, lol)

That being said, I think it looks very fun to play what you have there and I will be curious to know if it feels truly LM-ish to you once you run it, as I long to resurrect my old LM too in some viable way for ESO  :)

I've edited my post to reflect the two action bars better. Three class skills and the ultimate skill stay the same on both, while two staff skills get changed, depending on the weapon equipped. This is best seen in the ESO Build Calc link.

And well, all that I've written here is a thought experiment, thanks to the build calculators. What could a viable(?) group support character look like in ESO? The name is but a fond reminiscence of my favorite class in MMOs past. I do not expect things in ESO to be exactly the same, nor do I want them to be. But I surly want to build a character exactly like this and see how it works out, and if it is fun to play. Loremasters are, after all, the puppet masters of combat flow, all the while tipping the scales in favor of the group, without standing in the spotlight themselves. No matter where they are... ;) 

Currently, the PTS confirmed there are a total of 300 points possible to earn in game, which is more than enough to max out just about everything - though that could change after live.

I've edited my post to reflect the two action bars better. Three class skills and the ultimate skill stay the same on both, while two staff skills get changed, depending on the weapon equipped. This is best seen in the ESO Build Calc link.

And well, all that I've written here is a thought experiment, thanks to the build calculators. What could a viable(?) group support character look like in ESO? The name is but a fond reminiscence of my favorite class in MMOs past. I do not expect things in ESO to be exactly the same, nor do I want them to be. But I surly want to build a character exactly like this and see how it works out, and if it is fun to play. Loremasters are, after all, the puppet masters of combat flow, all the while tipping the scales in favor of the group, without standing in the spotlight themselves. No matter where they are... ;)

Hehe. No doubt.  Everything here is for speculation/trial-error  :)

Regarding that skill calculator, thanks for the link. It seems far more uptodate than the other two sites I have links for so I am reworking a number of builds, especially on my Templar and Nightblade.

I definitely miss my Loremaster, though sadly I don't think there will ever be another class quite like it.  I see lots of potential with Templars however, in coming close to my cappie so I have hope after some experimenting to at least resurrect what TB so ruthlessly killed.

Why would you ever spend crafting points on a character that isn't solely crafting?

There are obvious advantages to investing in the crafting lines, especially if you mean to max out certain abilities for making your own stuff.  Plus I doubt that everyone will want (or understand how...) to max all skill lines available and thus have points to spare for crafting,  not to mention some may not be prone to as much altitis as some others (me... I will have LOTS of alts, hehe...) so they may want to just focus on one or two skills lines then a crafting line or two. 

Why would you ever spend crafting points on a character that isn't solely crafting?

Find it difficult to see myself spending 300 skillpoints on combat skills and passives alone. Maybe if you go vamp/werewolf and get the emperor line. For just regular characters tho, You're probably gonna have enough skillpoints over to invest in atleast one crafting profession on every character.

If nothing else, you're gonna want a maxed Hireling on every character you create to maximize the flow of crafting mats

Find it difficult to see myself spending 300 skillpoints on combat skills and passives alone. Maybe if you go vamp/werewolf and get the emperor line. For just regular characters tho, You're probably gonna have enough skillpoints over to invest in atleast one crafting profession on every character.

If nothing else, you're gonna want a maxed Hireling on every character you create to maximize the flow of crafting mats

Come to think of it, there are clearly more than 300 possible, if you count points you can earn after 50 via veteran ranks?  at least that seems to be the case judging by the video you linked, so maybe there is far more than they have even stated...

skillpoints_zpsb093b2af.jpg

Well, 600+ skillpoints would surely get you all skills in the game.. Wonder if that's a PTS thing, or if we will actually be able to get that many on Live

My wife likes to play healer but a sword/shield templar was not her thing.  Can a templar use a staff and be ranged?

My wife likes to play healer but a sword/shield templar was not her thing.  Can a templar use a staff and be ranged?

You can play any class you like using any weapon, any armor.  So if she wants to roll a Templar using a staff, that is no problem-O ;)

You can direct her to any of the build calculators if she wants to tool around trying out different builds

Does a staff allow ranged attacks and heals?  That's the big thing.  She's never been a 'melee type'.  We spent a few days just trying to get used to the 'active' combat after so many years of passive defenses, TAB targeting and stationary combat in LOTRO.

Does a staff allow ranged attacks and heals?  That's the big thing.  She's never been a 'melee type'.  We spent a few days just trying to get used to the 'active' combat after so many years of passive defenses, TAB targeting and stationary combat in LOTRO.

Staff is ranged not melee.

A destruction staff has it's own line of traits, specs for damage.  A restoration staff is for healing, and it's line of traits spec for heals. 

You can do damage with either, as the dps value on the staves themselves are the same. 

The differences lie in the skill lines and in that a destruction staff is sort of like having three weapons in one since the effects of the skill line change depending on what type of destruction staff you carry: fire, frost, or shock.  Just check out the weapon lines on the skill calculators I linked and you can easily see what I am referring to.

Yeah the combat differences are noticable compared to some of what happens in LotrO.  Personally, I still moved around a lot in LotrO but that was the nature of the beast in raiding.  Even on my LM who had many skills that rooted him while casting, I was still constantly on the look out to move to stay on top of the scene.  So, it isn't really all that different in ESO.  But if she is not comfortable generally being mindful of dodging, blocking, or generally moving while casting skills, she will not take very well to ESO combat without time to adjust, since you really do need to be mobile nearly all the time in instances and most definitely in PvP or else you will get yer booty handed to ya super fast, lol

EDIT: for got to mention, because of the fact you can carry any weapon, you can heal as any class so long as one of your weapons is a restoration staff.  Templars are the only class that have direct heal traits in the class skills, but other classes have plenty of good skills in their trees which when played in conjunction with a restoration staff would make them very comprable healers, so you don't HAVE to roll a Templar just to heal.

How important are the racial bonuses?  Do you think it would be a real detriment to roll a wood elf templar instead of a high elf?  I remember feeling they were significant in LOTRO back in SOA but as time went on they were almost meaningless.

Racials will probably only mean anything at the absolute top, and I still doubt anyone would deny someone a spot in a group because they are the "wrong" race.

But they are more meaningful than in lotro, no doubt.

How important are the racial bonuses?  Do you think it would be a real detriment to roll a wood elf templar instead of a high elf?  I remember feeling they were significant in LOTRO back in SOA but as time went on they were almost meaningless.

Unless you plan on really being a min-maxer by end game for comptetitive play, I would't worry about it too much. That being said, reports from some on the PTS are that the racial bonuses do scale so I'd say they are a stronger incentive than the ones we had in LotrO by far. 

Wood Elves have good bonuses to stamina regen in combat (important for block, dodge, sneak, sprint, and physical damage), a decent max stamina bonus though not as high as other races, and good bonus to resist disease.  In other words they may be short but are actually pretty harty little buggers by nature, lol.  Their weapon leveling bonus is for bows.

Altmers has bonuses to max magicka, magicka regen in combat, and a damage bonus for fire, frost, shock - which when coupled with their weapon leveling weapon bonus for destruction staff could potentially give them a strong bent for being a destro-staff nuker, hehe.  But given the importance of magicka to class skills for Templar and for use of either a destruction staff line skill or restoration staff line skill, it is something to consider.

But overall it really matters far more how you build your char, what passives you pick, what glyffs you add to gear and so on.  I rolled a wood elf on Aldmeri Dominion instead of a Altmer when I made a Sorceror, for example.  She weilds a bow and mix of medium and light aromor for their passives, and quite of few Fighter's Guild skills so that is supposedly contrarty to a "magicka mage" type, but she rocks damage like crazy and consumes magicka in about equal doses to stamina. Actually her damage is kinda ridiculous sometimes, as she can one shot things with either the bow or blast the heck outta stuff with Mage's Fury (sorceror skill).  :)

So I'm playing with my wife, and the starter instance now only gives out swords?  Templar or Dragonknight....neither of us found anything but a sword.  I couldn't find a shield anywhere.

Only swords in the starter area (cold harbour) now.  Although picked up other goodies as soon as I got outside.