LOTROCommunity

Age of Conan goes F2P

Their customer service, one would hope. I gave up on that game within 3 months of launch for 2 principle reasons. One, the customer service, which was atrocious (not helped by that arse Gaude who kept telling us how swimmingly everything was going despite a couple of little niggles that they would have resolved very shortly... I'm sure he had "swimming" confused with either drowning or plummeting); two, the social tools were appalling. Considering half of the game's appeal was supposed to be the player built keeps & the consequent opportunity for battles, and yet the tools weren't there to allow you organise your own guild properly, never mind anything else (never mind that they threw out a load of guild architects for being gold famers because they'd been passed money by their guild mates to build the keeps...).

A while back I said other companies would be looking at Turbine to see how DDO and LOTRO did after going F2P and would look to copy if it increased revenue and it appears that it is starting to happen. I would not be surprised to see more companies following this trend

They've currently got their 3 year anniversary celebrations, they've reactivated all inactive accounts until the end of may.

I've been playing for the last week or so.

It's interesting that they're following suit with f2p.

To be honest, if LOTRO combined gameplay with AoC graphics such as vegetation(with dx11 capabilities), it would be such an amazing looking game.

AoC still hasn't got dx11 capabilities, but vegetation is still better than LOTRO's!

All I remember from AoC (aside naked people, huh?) was the guy with a mammoth standing on a bridge and not moving until he got enough cash. Or was that just beta... hmm.. yea, support bad. Almost as bad as naked people runnign around.

I always found AoC to be a pretty good game to be honest, it was spoilt somewhat at realease by being unstable but the graphics are great and the I enjoyed the combat system. I may go back and check it out again now its F2P.

I always found AoC to be a pretty good game to be honest, it was spoilt somewhat at realease by being unstable but the graphics are great and the I enjoyed the combat system. I may go back and check it out again now its F2P.

I got the email that my account was re-activated, but upon logging in it says account is "frozen" and needs to be "re-activated", is this how it's supposed to look and will I be able to play anyway when client is downloaded?

I got the e-mail too, but didn't bother with it. I also didn't bother to reinstall Runes of Magic (oh god why did I play this!) but I *did* install Guild Wars Prophesies, Factions and Nightfall.. to keep me company in the long bright Finnish summer nights when Lotro is down.

In case you haven't gotten Eye of the North yet: It's currently on sale for 9 Euros at NCSoft's online store. No idea how much it'd cost in a regular store. ;)

Does anybody know if AoC's women characters are still weaker? Or were they ever really weaker? Was it a bug? Before I give it a try, I'd like to be sure that having a woman isn't the wrong choice. ^^

@Highreborn: I don't remember where I read it, but I know I saw somebody who'd said that his/her account was labelled as "frozen" but s/he could still play the game.

GW: EN (nice title acronym that) was on my to-get list but when most of my friends quit the game after I had just spent zounds of cash on guid house (nearly every enhancement), my intrest "sort of" vained. Hard. I might have to start anew and delete one char to make space.. just got to see how many birthday present pets I've gained this time... last time I reinstalled I had quite a nice collection.

I never really got into Conan, but might give it a shot if there's people around to team up with and such.

But Eye of the North is an addon. You don't need an extra character slot for that. :) And your characters can enter as soon as they're level 10. They also get their first hero NPCs over there which are level 20 which helps a lot. And your character's attributes are pushed up to level 20 when you're lower than that and in the addon content.

I'm mostly playing GW like it was a single-player game. I enjoy my PUG-free time (mostly used it to escape from stupid people when I was still playing WoW). ;)

I've only played the endless trial thingy of AoC before. The combat system confuses me but all in all, it seems like a nice game. I'm just not sure it's really something for me. Which makes the f2p-version pretty attractive.

At launch, the opening area of AoC (Tortage) was absolutely cracking; the feel of the world in terms of design, setting, and immersion. The gameplay was good, the graphics were superb (better than LotRO, which I thought were impressive when I started), I don't recall there being too many bugs.

The problem was that once you stepped outside of Tortage, there was next to no content (I'm sure that's been fixed by now) and the quality of it dropped markedly - much less voice acting, and fewer different response tracks from individual NPC's (I don't suppose that's any different). Then you had an awful ticketing system, utterly appalling response times (if you didn't just get auto-closed), and unhelpful GM's. Plus the non-existent social tools that I already remarked upon. They were too incompetent even to be able to unsubscribe their regular spam when I decided I'd had enough; I had to contact their customer services to get it stopped.

I'm sure much of what put me off has been improved, but I can't see me going back to it. I'll probably grimly hang on in LotRO until GW2 arrives.

But Eye of the North is an addon. You don't need an extra character slot for that. :)

...and if you really want a new toon, simply buy character slots from the store.

As for heroes, you can make your own heroes now, too (if you buy special hero-slots from the store) from your own lvl 20 character (this is not really worth it imho but should be mentioned).

Continuing on the derail here. Can you believe it, I have forgotten my GW password. Password retreaval hasn't sent me e-mail on either of my accounts (yes I have two games). Sent a ticket and now I'm waiting... No big deal I suppose.

I remember my password but not the names of any of the characters I had...therefore under their new 'security' system, I can't log in. Since I couldn't remember my character's names, I imagined the game must have been forgettable as well so I didn't chase them up! But...what an utterly stupid system.

Edited by kitkat

Forgetting your details in GW is doubly unfortunate if you're also intending to get GW2. You'll miss out on the Hall of Monuments rewards that carry over if you have Eye of the North.

Have you taken screenshots in the past, by any chance? I always go screenshot-crazy in most games, so finding one with the name of my character in it isn't exactly difficult for me. ;)

@Character slots: If anybody plans to buy one, wait another week. This week, Eye of the North is on sale. Next week (starting on June 2, ca. 9pm GMT+1) should be character slots (50% off the regular price). I don't have a source for it right now but ArenaNet had announced it somewhere.

Edited by Tenedra

Hah, I actually should have several screenshots saved in various interweb places. Good thinking! Maybe that's the trick.. but not too worried, I doubt I would play any of my old characters. The birthday presents and zounds of materials and items and titles would be nice but... I can't imagine myself playing GW much anymore.

You can use http://hom.guildwars2.com/en/ to check... I hope. ^^ Enter your character's name and if it exists, it should show you what your account has already earned for GW2. But it might be easier to check for your characters' names that way than in the game.

You can use http://hom.guildwars2.com/en/ to check... I hope. ^^ Enter your character's name and if it exists, it should show you what your account has already earned for GW2. But it might be easier to check for your characters' names that way than in the game.

I found one of my old character's name. But it doesn't exist. cry.gif

Well, nothing to do but wait IF they reply to my password recovery issue. Hope there hasn't been any removal of old neglected accounts.. but not a big loss as I said before. Just.. hmm, too bad.

Nope, I don't think they deleted any old accounts. Never heard of it being done, at least. Maybe you have to log on first before the characters appear on that website. And... erm... maybe you also have to have put something into the Hall of Monuments which you can only do with Eye of the North. Oops. ;)

If I hadn't already played AoC for a while with multiple characters then I'd probably sign up for the F2P version. But since I'm determined not to subscribe to any other games for the near future then I won't bother. I just can't summon up any motivation to decide on which two characters to play and what all the options and limitations mean.

It was frustrating enough with LOTRO trying to work it all out and thats with a lifetime account bloos.gif